ADVERTISEMENT

Book starting. Wow. Love it.

Don't get overjoyed until you see how this works out. It does show you they put way too much faith in the current unproven starter.

Where's the blue blood QB starter?

The bullets do not fly in practice. No matter how much you try to simulate game speed practice does not give you a true test.

When the bright lights came on ,it was the same ole BW. Poor decisions or just indecisive.

Mechanics go to crap under pressure, holding on to the ball too long or balls get put up for grabs, inaccurate 50% passing, no consistency from the QB postion is leading to no consistency in the offense.

Running is fine, but 30+ points come out of the passing game. BK knows ND would have no shot vs Stanford or V Tech with BW.

His legs are an X factor and teams will have to prepare for a Zone Read or Wildcat kind of package. But ND needs Book to spin it out of the pocket to win 10 or more.

If they have to keep W F guessing they are in a lot of trouble

Don't you get the sense they are? There are a lot of good pieces to this team, but every year it's the same deal. Team gets worn out by November; and, as always, a second year QB shows no sign of improving and starts to regress.

Reactions: tbonesays
Doesn't anybody want to look at the big picture? Maybe, just maybe, this is not a game plan for WF but maybe a game plan for Stanford. That Stanford game is so so so important for ND.

Reactions: IrishMike409
There has been a HUGE update on this situation.

Tomorrow is going to be interesting.

Too bad some loudmouths at ND couldn’t keep their mouths shut.

Aren't the loudmouths also called sources? That's what a source is. Someone who passes on info , usually anonymously. Info that is not readily available to anyone. Being a leaker is a job of distinction now a days apparently.

Aren't the loudmouths also called sources? That's what a source is. Someone who passes on info , usually anonymously. Info that is not readily available to anyone. Being a leaker is a job of distinction now a days apparently.

No.
The mods actually knew about this & were asked to keep it quiet until tonight because then it would be too late for WF to gameplan for it. But the entire campus knew Monday because a grad assistant told everybody.
The mods on here don’t post things they are asked to keep quiet. But now it is public they were allowed to share some stuff & they put out a long, very detailed, explanation of the situation. But said there is more to it we will see tomorrow.

The players are in favor of Book starting. Watch how they respond tomorrow. The kid has paid his dues and never complained. Wimbush pouts when he doesn't play.

Of course Book hasn't been perfect, but who would with such limited playing time?

Wimbush hav been erratic in games. Too many turnovers. He's doing it in. practice too.

The players are fired up with this change. I bet we will all be fans of Book after tomorrow.

The players are in favor of Book starting. Watch how they respond tomorrow. The kid has paid his dues and never complained. Wimbush pouts when he doesn't play.

Of course Book hasn't been perfect, but who would with such limited playing time?

Wimbush hav been erratic in games. Too many turnovers. He's doing it in. practice too.

The players are fired up with this change. I bet we will all be fans of Book after tomorrow.

Wimbush doesn’t pout & is probably the most respected & well-liked kid in the locker room.

I don’t know why people try to make everything a mutually exclusive situation.
Both kids are liked. The players don’t have to choose between them. Wimbush has a 3:1TD to TO ratio in his career too. (All TDS & TOs).

I want ND to win. Don’t care who the QB is. But I wonder if Book poops the bed tomorrow if all the grass is greener people will show back up & say they were wrong?

BK needs to have a little chit chat with the grad assistant. What happens on the practice field stays on the practice field. IMO, this guy can't be trusted anymore.

Reactions: GoldCountryND
Kelly might be sick to death of being loyal to his QB all through, then get stiffed when said QB jumps to the league early. Or worse, another school. This attacks the problem in 2 ways. First the QB can’t take his 12-0 record to the league as a starter, and second Kelly has a second guy coached up.

I hope we see Phil in the 2nd half...
bk doesn't know how to "coach up" QB's.

Don't you get the sense they are? There are a lot of good pieces to this team, but every year it's the same deal. Team gets worn out by November; and, as always, a second year QB shows no sign of improving and starts to regress.
Its the bk way.

Hmm. Maybe we can actually have the faster qb in the 'blue' zone.

No.
The mods actually knew about this & were asked to keep it quiet until tonight because then it would be too late for WF to gameplan for it. But the entire campus knew Monday because a grad assistant told everybody.
The mods on here don’t post things they are asked to keep quiet. But now it is public they were allowed to share some stuff & they put out a long, very detailed, explanation of the situation. But said there is more to it we will see tomorrow.

Then start PJ! or dare I say it? Tommy Rees!

I think we are going to see some packages with both on the field at the same time. It'll probably be nothing exciting this week unless the game is in jeopardy, but I imagine there are some gadget plays for Stanford or VT.

I think it's unfair to say Wimbush has a bad attitude when not playing. The only time I've ever seen him upset is when he's making mistakes. He's a great athlete and if Book is long term, hope he gets some opportunities to get the ball.

If Book can be accurate and keep the defense honest, he will be nearly as effective in gaining yards on the ground. He's not a statue pocket guy and has enough speed and agility to pick up first downs with his feet when needed.

Also, hope to see Austin get a few targets.

Personally, not all that surprised by this. I do think Wimbush has improved this year over last, and I think his completion percentage would be better if not for too many drops by his receivers, but I also think the offense lacks any sense of rhythm largely due to his indecision, or inability to go through the progressions timely. Kelly and Long obviously want an offense with multiple options, and Wimbush is more suited for limited options to one side of the field with the green light to take off when these one or two first options are not open. When they show replays of passing plays on TV, his inability to see or make decisions timely is very apparent.

I was really hoping to see marked improvement with his decision making, but some guys just don’t have this intuitive sense, or football IQ. I feel strongly that he could have been a dynamic college QB if Kelly and Long had narrowed his field of vision and limited his passing options. I also feel strongly that this team was headed for multiple losses without a change: either change of personnel to run the offense as designed, or a change in the design of the offense to maximize Wimbush talents and minimize his weaknesses.

Part of me wants to criticize Kelly and Long for not arriving at this decision before the start of the season, but I also appreciate the desire to use Wimbush’ immense athletic talents and hope the development in his decision making takes place, some of which can only be tested in real game situations. It just didn’t work out, and now we have a much better passer with less athleticism and supposedly better decision making running the offense with a bigger playbook. I expect to see the offense respond and put some big numbers on the board.

Reactions: theskibro and HDK
Well now... 70% completion pct. 325 passing yards... 3 rushing TDs...

That's the best performance by an ND QB in years.

Well, I expect Wimbush will start next game. Gosh, he can throw the ball 70 yds.
How far can Book throw it?

Really? What did he do to coach up Winbush, Phil, and Davis?
According to you, BK absolutely cannot do anything right. The next post where you mention anything remotely positive will be your first.

So the question remains: If BK is such a complete and utter idiot, how in the world did the Irish go 10-3 last year and how are they 4-0 so far this year? And, when you answer, please spare me your proverbial "You're just another BK apologist" statement.

ND is not immune to players leaving who aren't being played and could play somewhere else ..... this scenario is exacerbated by the fact he is easily the better QB and getting screwed ... and getting overcriticized after having his hands tied by BK ..... lots of idiots probably can't see that ... so I guess you shouldn't feel too bad.
Wimbush most likely isn't going to the NFL.

If it were me....I'd stick it out at ND. Most likely position yourself for a 6-figure job right out of college, and a long-lucrative career in the business world. "Idiots" probably can't see that.

According to you, BK absolutely cannot do anything right. The next post where you mention anything remotely positive will be your first.

So the question remains: If BK is such a complete and utter idiot, how in the world did the Irish go 10-3 last year and how are they 4-0 so far this year? And, when you answer, please spare me your proverbial "You're just another BK apologist" statement.
If bk is such a great coach like you say he is how did he ever go 4-8 in 2016/

If it were me....I'd stick it out at ND. Most likely position yourself for a 6-figure job right out of college, and a long-lucrative career in the business world. "Idiots" probably can't see that.
BW is a good student. He will be a proud graduate of ND.

Reactions: IrishMike409
If bk is such a great coach like you say he is how did he ever go 4-8 in 2016/
I never said he's a great coach. I've said he's a good coach. There are the Sabans and Meyers and Swinneys of the world and then there's a second tier, of which he resides.

I actually felt he should have been fired after that season and I posted that on this board, but the administration decided to give him another chance so I back him. He responded with a 10-3 record and a bowl win against a quality opponent. Now he has ND in another good situation for the year. Probably won't make the CFP but I can see a 10-2 regular season. That's a good recovery from 2016 and that just doesn't happen by accident.

You post as though he never does anything right. That's just being closed-minded. No one is wrong 100% of the time.

Nobody will argue the value of an ND degree .... most of the guys are here to play football .... if he wanted to ride the bench and get his degree .... fine ... point is ... if he wants a "fair" shot at playing .... he should transfer ... his days were over after the LSU game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT