ADVERTISEMENT

Book starting. Wow. Love it.

As I stated in the other thread, this leaked on Monday. The source is a GA who ran his mouth all over campus.
And they both will be playing. Ever who has the hot hand will stay in. So Wimbush will still be playing.

Reactions: rgc7
As I stated in the other thread, this leaked on Monday. The source is a GA who ran his mouth all over campus.
And they both will be playing. Ever who has the hot hand will stay in. So Wimbush will still be playing.

Hope the two QB thing works out ?

Well....
I don’t judge until I see what happens.
But I don’t understand this move now. They had all spring & fall to figure this situation out. By all accounts Wimbush was easily the starter. So, I guess we will see Saturday. One person (who initially told us earlier in the week about this) thinks this might be a situation of ND trying to give Shaw at Stanford more to worry about. But it could also be ND just wanting more passing. We will see.

Reactions: rgc7
Hope the two QB thing works out ?

I think the last time they did this was the opener at Texas in 2016. Kizer then won the job by clearly outplaying Zaire in that game. However, if nobody clearly outplays the other guy, they may stay with the dual system longer this time.

Reactions: Bodizephax and rgc7
BK just finished his Thursday PC.

Would not name a starter but said both will play.

Guess now we'll see how well of a job the staff (Kelly) did making his starting QB decision.

Also have seen some comments that Book can't run. He had 36 rushing attempts for 207 yards. Same average that Wimbush had last season.

Oh boy...this little boy is so excited to see what are WR corp can do now.

Just an update, the move is being universally ripped by everyone.
Most think ND needs to taylor the offense around Wimbush’s strengths. The others are saying if you are going to play Book, you don’t do it where they are splitting reps 50/50. You just play him & give him all the practice reps.

Just to be clear here, Book is not the new QB. They are splitting the reps 50/50.

Most think ND needs to taylor the offense around Wimbush’s strengths. The others are saying if you are going to play Book, you don’t do it where they are splitting reps 50/50. You just play him & give him all the practice reps.

Just to be clear here, Book is not the new QB. They are splitting the reps 50/50.
Who is everyone? Seriously asking not being a smart ass. Haven’t seen much of the move at all. Been at work all day

Proving once again that BK is a complete idiot ..... but this is not news .... I said it before the season started ... if Wimbush was smart he would've transferred right after the LSU game

Reactions: shabak and spenna
I think the last time they did this was the opener at Texas in 2016. Kizer then won the job by clearly outplaying Zaire in that game. However, if nobody clearly outplays the other guy, they may stay with the dual system longer this time.

Zaire was the starter until breaking his ankle against Virginia

Who is everyone? Seriously asking not being a smart ass. Haven’t seen much of the move at all. Been at work all day

Different analyst & coaches on Sirius Radio, Rivals, 247, etc.

I agree with them.

You do one or the other:

1) Build your offense around BW’s strengths
or
2) Make Book the starter & give him all the reps like you give a starter

I don’t like anything half-ass. Once you start to charge up the hill you can’t waiver.

I think this is all strategy to give WF something to think about. BK has invested too much on Wimbush to take him out of the starting role. Book will get a series or two and blue zone opportunities.

Everyone +1. This move makes absolutely no sense to me.

Not a big fan of this, but maybe BK feels it is necessary.

I don't think Book is bad, I just don't think he has a lot of arm strength. He seems to labor quite a bit to get it 35yrds down field.

Think how this will affect the children. Whatever shall be, shall be. Being none of us are at the practice sessions or QB meetings or the staff meetings for that matter, let's see how this all plays out. As a fan, I don't care what analysts say about the move. They are on the outside looking in. Don't tell me they have inside unnamed sources too. Ah, those inside unnamed sources. Anyway, You guys lose sleep over this and I will have one heck of a time watching....and enjoying the WF game. I do agree with the assessment that as poor as the WF pass defense is, this game would have been perfect for BW and I also agree that the offense should have been geared for BW's strengths. Aren't these two QBs just holding the position for Phil anyway?

Reactions: theskibro
Think how this will affect the children. Whatever shall be, shall be. Being none of us are at the practice sessions or QB meetings or the staff meetings for that matter, let's see how this all plays out. As a fan, I don't care what analysts say about the move. They are on the outside looking in. Don't tell me they have inside unnamed sources too. Ah, those inside unnamed sources. Anyway, You guys lose sleep over this and I will have one heck of a time watching....and enjoying the WF game. I do agree with the assessment that as poor as the WF pass defense is, this game would have been perfect for BW and I also agree that the offense should have been geared for BW's strengths. Aren't these two QBs just holding the position for Phil anyway?

It’s not unnamed sources.
Brian Kelly said at his presser tonight that they will be splitting snaps in the game & the reps have been 50/50 in practice.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Proving once again that BK is a complete idiot ..... but this is not news .... I said it before the season started ... if Wimbush was smart he would've transferred right after the LSU game
Transfer and leave an ND degree on the table? You're the idiot.

Reactions: TOMMY_23
It’s not unnamed sources.
Brian Kelly said at his presser tonight that they will be splitting snaps in the game & the reps have been 50/50 in practice.
Yes, I know. I appear to be the only one not shook up about this turn of events. I wish we had one QB but apparently, we don't. So now we have 1A and 1B with 1C in waiting. I don't feel all that optimistic about the rest of the season but I'm willing to let this all play out. No other choice.

Yes, I know. I appear to be the only one not shook up about this turn of events. I wish we had one QB but apparently, we don't. So now we have 1A and 1B with 1C in waiting. I don't feel all that optimistic about the rest of the season but I'm willing to let this all play out. No other choice.

I’m going to wait and see. This could all just be gamemenship by Kelly. This could just be a quick change then change back. Book might fit better, who knows. I just want to win & don’t care how. But I don’t like the timing of it.

Not a big fan of this, but maybe BK feels it is necessary.

I don't think Book is bad, I just don't think he has a lot of arm strength. He seems to labor quite a bit to get it 35yrds down field.

And Wimbush labors to get it 5 yards downfield. We need to start completing some passes. Offense stinks right now.

Reactions: TOMMY_23
Transfer and leave an ND degree on the table? You're the idiot.

ND is not immune to players leaving who aren't being played and could play somewhere else ..... this scenario is exacerbated by the fact he is easily the better QB and getting screwed ... and getting overcriticized after having his hands tied by BK ..... lots of idiots probably can't see that ... so I guess you shouldn't feel too bad.

I’m going to wait and see. This could all just be gamemenship by Kelly. This could just be a quick change then change back. Book might fit better, who knows. I just want to win & don’t care how. But I don’t like the timing of it.
agreed. as long as they win the how is of little concern to me.

Well....
I don’t judge until I see what happens.
But I don’t understand this move now. They had all spring & fall to figure this situation out. By all accounts Wimbush was easily the starter. So, I guess we will see Saturday. One person (who initially told us earlier in the week about this) thinks this might be a situation of ND trying to give Shaw at Stanford more to worry about. But it could also be ND just wanting more passing. We will see.
It's called giving BW more opportunity to see if he could catch lightning in a bottle.

He didn't.

The offense MUST put it in 4wd and get out of the mud.

Period

agreed. as long as they win the how is of little concern to me.

Agree also. Win pretty or ugly, but win. I think this QB move is more about the defense. If WF runs another 90+ plays, forget about beating the trees. They will pound it with Love all game.

I expect book to run a good RPO and dink and dunk to keep the chains moving. The amount of 3 and outs are killing the defense.

All any of us can do is wait and see, maybe throw out a few message board posts to make the waiting easier. But I don't like this move either. Not because I have strong feelings one way or another about either QB. I think both guys capable, BW gives you an immensely higher ceiling and Book gives you a better grasp of the mental aspect and consistency. BW will win games by being the best player on the field, Book by putting his play makers in position to be the best players on the field. My concern is that the coaching staff (many are blaming Long...personally it has a BK feel to me but the results are the same so it's moot) has decided that they want BWs ceiling in an offense tailored to Books skills. It's not the first time we've seen this at Notre Dame and it's never ended particularly well.

My hope this Saturday is one of these guys takes the reigns and makes it their offense, if they do the rest of the season could be a lot of fun to watch.

Best QB coach in the Kelly era was Mike Stanford Jr. Ian Book was his guy. Wimbush is a great kid, a great athlete. But when was the last time our offense actually hummed for four quarters? Maybe USC last year. Book went 8-8 throwing vs. Wake last year. That is nine games of pretty mediocre offensive play. And five of those game were with ND's best offensive line in a long long time. Too many 3 and outs with wimbush and we can't let Wake run 100 plays vs. our tired D. I get the move. Wimbush has more than gotten his chance.

All any of us can do is wait and see, maybe throw out a few message board posts to make the waiting easier. But I don't like this move either. Not because I have strong feelings one way or another about either QB. I think both guys capable, BW gives you an immensely higher ceiling and Book gives you a better grasp of the mental aspect and consistency. BW will win games by being the best player on the field, Book by putting his play makers in position to be the best players on the field. My concern is that the coaching staff (many are blaming Long...personally it has a BK feel to me but the results are the same so it's moot) has decided that they want BWs ceiling in an offense tailored to Books skills. It's not the first time we've seen this at Notre Dame and it's never ended particularly well.

My hope this Saturday is one of these guys takes the reigns and makes it their offense, if they do the rest of the season could be a lot of fun to watch.

Lets put the paint on now. The one thing CBK gets right is qb changes, even when he's primarily trying to motivate the starter.

Kelly might be sick to death of being loyal to his QB all through, then get stiffed when said QB jumps to the league early. Or worse, another school. This attacks the problem in 2 ways. First the QB can’t take his 12-0 record to the league as a starter, and second Kelly has a second guy coached up.

I hope we see Phil in the 2nd half...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT