ADVERTISEMENT

Bodi brought up a point worth exploring

Dec 29, 2005
even if just for some fun.

In a previous post Bodi asked who called for McKinley to have a breakout season and it got me thinking of previous players I thought would be game changers and other that I whiffed on.

Jafar Armstrong - after a few games I though JA should be moved back to the slot, his instincts as a RB weren’t particularly strong and he went down very easy, many continued to push for him despite this glaring fact.

Ishaq Williams - I bought into the hype, listened to the analysis of him on the recruiting pages and thought he was a can’t miss prospect. I thought he’d play a lot as a freshman, I really thought with his huge frame he’d developed into a superstar. It didn’t happen.

RB Will Mahone - I had the opportunity to watch him play a game in HS and he was phenomenal and lived up to that high 4 star rating as one of the top 10-15 RBs in the nation when I saw him live. He was spectacular in the game I watched, over 200 yards rushing 3/4 tds, and averaged like 12 yards a carry. It was against a perennial power too. They couldn’t tackle him in the open field and he just blew by the opposition. I came here and said he was going to be a 1000 yard rusher for ND, I was wrong.

Drue Tranquill - Many here said he would never see the field as he played subpar competition in Indiana, again I had the fortune to see him play in HS too and he was a one man wrecking crew, I knew he was going against lesser talent but he looked like a man amongst boys, I really thought ND got a gem in the kid. He fought terrible injuries and IMO played great at the end of his career and was a fantastic leader.

Alzie Jones - he wasn’t a total bust but I did think he’d be an AA talent and he just never seemed to have the consistency or discipline to achieve that level of play. He could dominate a game and then not show up the next.

Some other guys I predicted would be good players and contributors at ND - Hunter Smith, Ian Williams, Theo Riddick, Myles Boykin, Zack Martin, Ronnie Stanley.

Some of my other whiffs - Darius Fleming, Sam Young, Ben Koyack, Davonte Neal, Greg Bryant, and Max Redfield (huge disappointment for me) thought the kid was a freak athlete, just never became the player equal to his measurables.

Last edited:
Reactions: BodiTheGreat

In a previous post Bodi asked who called for McKinley to have a breakout season and it got me thinking of previous players I thought would be game changers and other that I whiffed on.

Jafar Armstrong - after a few games I though JA should be moved back to the slot, his instincts as a RB weren’t particularly strong and he went down very easy, many continued to push for him despite this glaring fact.

Ishaq Williams - I bought into the hype, listened to the analysis of him on the recruiting pages and thought he was a can’t miss prospect. I thought he’d play a lot as a freshman, I really thought with his huge frame he’d developed into a superstar. It didn’t happen.

RB Will Mahone - I had the opportunity to watch him play a game in HS and he was phenomenal and lived up to that high 4 star rating as one of the top 10-15 RBs in the nation when I saw him live. He was spectacular in the game I watched, over 200 yards rushing 3/4 tds, and averaged like 12 yards a carry. It was against a perennial power too. They couldn’t tackle him in the open field and he just blew by the opposition. I came here and said he was going to be a 1000 yard rusher for ND, I was wrong.

Drue Tranquill - Many here said he would never see the field as he played subpar competition in Indiana, again I had the fortune to see him play in HS too and he was a one man wrecking crew, I knew he was going against lesser talent but he looked like a man amongst boys, I really thought ND got a gem in the kid. He fought terrible injuries and IMO played great at the end of his career and was a fantastic leader.

Alzie Jones - he wasn’t a total bust but I did think he’d be an AA talent and he just never seemed to have the consistency or discipline to achieve that level of play. He could dominate a game and then not show up the next.

Some other guys I predicted would be good players and contributors at ND - Hunter Smith, Ian Williams, Theo Riddick, Myles Boykin, Zack Martin, Ronnie Stanley.

Some of my other whiffs - Darius Fleming, Sam Young, Ben Koyack, Davonte Neal, Greg Bryant, and Max Redfield (huge disappointment for me) thought the kid was a freak athlete, just never became the player equal to his measurables.

I predicted George Atkinson 111 to win the heisman trophy when he first came to ND. He had some great moments like 3 or 4 kickoff return TD'S. And some great days like against Miami Fla he had 10 carries for 123 yards including a blazing fast 60+ TD run and he score the winning TD against BYU.

*** I just thought with his size and blazing speed he was going to dominate. It just didn't pan out.

*** I did enjoy his KO return against USC when we lost. He kept us in that game. Also he had a KO return TD against Michigan State which we won.

I predicted George Atkinson 111 to win the heisman trophy when he first came to ND. He had some great moments like 3 or 4 kickoff return TD'S. And some great days like against Miami Fla he had 10 carries for 123 yards including a blazing fast 60+ TD run and he score the winning TD against BYU.

*** I just thought with his size and blazing speed he was going to dominate. It just didn't pan out.

*** I did enjoy his KO return against USC when we lost. He kept us in that game. Also he had a KO return TD against Michigan State which we won.

Hard to believe him and his brother (Josh) are both deceased.

not to mention Greg Bryant is deceased and Cirrre Wood is sitting in a Clark County jail starting at a possible life sentence for a child’s murder.

• Sad
Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Anthony Vernaglia - did he even play?

DJ Hord - Another spring game baller.

Greg Pauley - guy was supposed to be another Chris Zorich.

not to mention Greg Bryant is deceased and Cirrre Wood is sitting in a Clark County jail starting at a possible life sentence for a child’s murder.

Did they ever release how GAIII died? All I know is he had been suffering sever psychological distress after the suicide of his brother Josh and death of his mother.
Just a terrible situation, tragic.

I never knew Greg Bryant had passed too, damn..

Mike Mcnair. Honestly, I knew nothing about him other than he was "incredible". He barely played.

I remember having high hopes for Shaq Evans - ended up going to UCLA and having a nice career. And for Crist as well.....

very nice post

Asaph Schwapp gone too soon as well.

IIRC, Kamara was a big body 5* that never really had the impact like a Shark, Floyd, Boykin, Claypool type of receiver that he should have been.

ADVERTISEMENT