ADVERTISEMENT

Blake Barnett off to USF now

TOMMY_23

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Mar 13, 2017
He recently graduated from ASU. Slipped to third string there this spring and decided to use the graduate transfer rule. He has two years of eligibility left.

Maybe he can try Cincinnati next?

I'll be honest, I was very angry when he de-committed and my first reaction was that I hope he falied... yes I was wrong for that and yes I have changed. But damn, gotta feel for the kid right?

Reactions: TOMMY_23
Nope. I don't feel sorry for these kids. They can muster plenty of pity from their own self, their families, and circle of friends. These decisions should be valuable teaching moments. Maybe if Dads, friends, and youth coaches stay out of their ear and give these kids room to think, outcomes will be better. My son was part of the recruiting process in D2 out of HS and that was hectic enough. I can't imagine what an elite D1 student/athlete might be going through.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Nope. I don't feel sorry for these kids. They can muster plenty of pity from their own self, their families, and circle of friends. These decisions should be valuable teaching moments. Maybe if Dads, friends, and youth coaches stay out of their ear and give these kids room to think, outcomes will be better. My son was part of the recruiting process in D2 out of HS and that was hectic enough. I can't imagine what an elite D1 student/athlete might be going through.
It's not as glamorous as some would think. Can't imagine going through it now. Back in the 80's all I got were letters and weekly phone calls.

Reactions: tbonesays
It's not as glamorous as some would think. Can't imagine going through it now. Back in the 80's all I got were letters and weekly phone calls.
After you made your verbal, were you still bothered by visits and phone calls? Did your folks try to steer you in a certain direction or was the decision all yours? How much did your major play in your decision or was it mostly based on football and the staff? I'd like to get an actual first hand account. Thanks in advance.

He recently graduated from ASU. Slipped to third string there this spring and decided to use the graduate transfer rule. He has two years of eligibility left.

Used to be join the Navy and see the world, now it is commit and see the country.

Reactions: TOMMY_23

I'll hand it to the kid. With all the moving around, he still managed to graduate early. Obviously a pretty good student.

Hmm, I leaned heavily on parents and coaches at that age and would think most these kids do the same. Obviously some of these can be toxic but when parents are involved in the decision, it usually benefits ND..

No "pity" for a guy who got a free college degree and spent a while with ASU coeds.

After you made your verbal, were you still bothered by visits and phone calls? Did your folks try to steer you in a certain direction or was the decision all yours? How much did your major play in your decision or was it mostly based on football and the staff? I'd like to get an actual first hand account. Thanks in advance.
Actually did not make my mind up until the evening before signing day. Very few if any " verbals " back then like you have today. For me I knew I was going into education so my major was not a big factor. All the schools I was considering were fine in that area then. I enjoyed all my visits and narrowed it down to three, MSU, Ohio St, and Penn St. My parents gave me their opinion but never pressured me one way or another. I think they enjoyed the experience more than I did. Way more stressful today. The process is different, kids are way different too. More informed,all way more pandered to also. A lot of them have an inflated sense of entitlement. Not good in my opinion.

Reactions: Pennick4
Hmm, I leaned heavily on parents and coaches at that age and would think most these kids do the same. Obviously some of these can be toxic but when parents are involved in the decision, it usually benefits ND..
Yeah. I didn't mean to generalize about the parent's input. I would have trusted my parents enough to seek their advice. My son trusted me at the D2 level. I was thinking more of the stage mom and dad who have dollar signs and big plans for their kids before a single college play has been run.

How about instead of all the time/money waste harassing 16/17/18 year olds by drowning them in email, stalking them online, and blowing up their phones, you simply offered them a check and let the athlete go to the highest bidder instead?

Oh wait...the only people who deserve to profit in this multi-billion dollar industry are predominantly middle aged white guys.

Last edited:
There is a system like that in place. The professional leagues. Back in the beginning, there were kids who wanted to go to college and get an education. So they started intramural sports, then different schools wanted to play each other, so they set up games. then other teams joined in. Schools then became obsessively competitive. People wanted to watch the games; even paid admission. Then some kids who were not good enough for the pro’s nor bright enough for college had the small brainy idea that they could get free coaching or a training period if they did some time as ‘replacement players’ in place of actual college students. Well, you know the rest. Only now the not so college pro ready or college capable want to change the deal. Like Paul Newman (Butch Cassidy) said, in the sequal, “The Sting”, “it’s never enough”.

Solution....let the NFL drop the age requirement or college years. Let them take any kid who they want when they want. Return college football to college students (those kids who can truely academically get in college).

Last edited:
There is a system like that in place. The professional leagues. Back in the beginning, there were kids who wanted to go to college and get an education. So they started intramural sports, then different schools wanted to play each other, so they set up games. then other teams joined in. Schools then became obsessively competitive. People wanted to watch the games; even paid admission. Then some kids who were not good enough for the pro’s nor bright enough for college had the small brainy idea that they could get free coaching period if they did some time as ‘replacement players’ in place of actual college students. Well, you know the rest. Only now the not so college pro ready or college capable want to change the deal. Like Paul Newman (Butch Cassidy) said, “it’s never enough”.
A modest monthly stipend is certainly reasonable and affordable given the obscene amount of revenue being generated. If not then allow the athletes to work, benefit off their likeness or signature etc.

The NFL gets a free minor league/doesn't have to share any of its revenue with risky prospective talent (young athletes who don't pan out), and the NCAA and its corporate sponsors get to exploit young men's virtually free labor with this ridiculous notion that at the FBS level, despite the billions of dollars in the industry, this is still somehow amateurism.

The whole system in place is extremely one sided and in favor of the old wealth & power at the top.

I wouldn't care so much if professional football careers were longer than 2 or 3 years on average. These guys have such a short window to earn on their very lucrative skill set and should be compensated commensurate with the revenues being generated in major college football as soon as they are signed.

Last edited:
so, release the ‘players’ who play the system. Let them go to the NFL. No strings. Then kids who want to play sports can play sports. Go pro, go away.

A modest monthly stipend is certainly reasonable and affordable given the obscene amount of revenue being generated. If not then allow the athletes to work, benefit off their likeness or signature etc.
Are you thinking the stipend be divided between scholarship and non scholarship programs? Do the All Americans get more than the 3rd teamer? How about walk-ons? Football more than Swimming? I've thought about this over the years and have never been able to come up with a reasonable solution. What's your thoughts since you've actually experienced it as a student/athlete?

Are you thinking the stipend be divided between scholarship and non scholarship programs? Do the All Americans get more than the 3rd teamer? How about walk-ons? Football more than Swimming? I've thought about this over the years and have never been able to come up with a reasonable solution. What's your thoughts since you've actually experienced it as a student/athlete?

I think the scholarship model + "campus expense" stipend (which is already in affect from what I understand) should largely stay in tact.

There are several thousand college football prospects every year, the current model would be sufficient for the large majority of them.

It's the top athletes out of HS in both men's basketball and football that would simply have their representation negotiate a signing bonus commensurate with the demand for their LOI (like a free agency bidding war).

A prospect with 40+ wealthy programs across the country bidding on his services might see a signing bonus in the multi-millions for example. Where a prospect who only has a few colleges in his region recruiting him heavy might get a $50K signing bonus.

Swimming/soccer/womens basketball/lacrosse/etc. (sports that don't generate any consequential revenue) wouldn't get any signing bonuses I'd imagine.

For players who aren't highly in demand out of HS, but become stars in college (late bloomers), they can 'wait' for their payday in the NFL. This is actually surprisingly way less common than anybody here would like to believe. Most players who show elite football talent out of HS are the same players who eventually make a big impact at the FBS level and eventually get drafted in the NFL.

I also agree with echowaker regarding all collegiate players being able to profit from their likeness. Additionally, the athletes should be able to bargain collectively/have a seat at the table regarding policy/schedules/compensation/rules & regulations/eligibility/etc. For example, instead of a kid's career being destroyed because he was out with his buddies smoking some harmless weed, the athletes can negotiate lesser penalties for such infractions.

Here's a really good article written that touches on a lot of the questions you brought up: https://deadspin.com/this-is-how-to-pay-college-athletes-1823353456

Last edited:
All I know is given the volume of money generated reasonable people should be able to find a reasonable solution. The current scenario is grossly unfair. Why should a music student on full scholarship be able to benefit from their skills but an athlete cannot ? For me personally I was fortunate to come from a solid middle class family. I had what I needed. A lot of my teammates were not as fortunate. They had it tough especially in the off season. They could generate money during the season by selling their game tickets. My family always bought up extra tickets from guys. It helped them and allowed my family access to more tickets for them and friends.

Last edited:
How about instead of all the time/money waste harassing 16/17/18 year olds by drowning them in email, stalking them online, and blowing up their phones, you simply offered them a check and let the athlete go to the highest bidder instead?

Oh wait...the only people who deserve to profit in this multi-billion dollar industry are predominantly middle aged white guys.
Oh the plight of the highly recruited athlete. . :eek::eek:

Oh the plight of the highly recruited athlete. . :eek::eek:
Well I've been around the recruiting game a long time and there are kids who come from some of the worst socio-economic conditions imaginable. It's tragic. I had teammates who literally had no money, none for weeks at a time. No family members ever came to their games because they couldn't afford it or didn't care to. Most folks only see the glamorous side of big time college athletics. There's a really sad side also.

Reactions: tbonesays
Well I've been around the recruiting game a long time and there are kids who come from some of the worst socio-economic conditions imaginable. It's tragic. I had teammates who literally had no money, none for weeks at a time. No family members ever came to their games because they couldn't afford it or didn't care to. Most folks only see the glamorous side of big time college athletics. There's a really sad side also.
This sounds like an excellent ESPN "30 For 30" documentary.

What's the sad side of schools offering a free education? I view it as a tremendous opportunity.

What's the sad side of schools offering a free education? I view it as a tremendous opportunity.
Of course a free education is a great thing. The sad side is the personal struggles a lot of athletes go through based on their backgrounds. It truly is tragic and sad to witness first hand.

Today, student athletes get the full cost of education which is typically 2-3 thousand more than tuition, room, and board. On top of this, economically disadvantaged students can also get the Pell grant which is about $5,500/year. This is on top of getting a completely free education. This is plenty of money. My daughter has to watch her money closely in college and she probably spend $3k on books and other miscellaneous things. Of course student athletes get free books as well.

Of course a free education is a great thing. The sad side is the personal struggles a lot of athletes go through based on their backgrounds. It truly is tragic and sad to witness first hand.
I was simply responding to the "stress" of highly recruited high school athletes.
What is very sad is kids that don't take advantage of the chance to get their degree. Guys like Stepherson and Redfield who have a chance to parlay their athletic talents to at a minimum get a degree from a fantastic university.

For me personally it isn't so much about it being "sad" or feeling sorry for poor kids. It's a simple matter of gaining fair market value for one's services.

College football is a $13B industry (just a tad smaller than the NFL these days) ... Do you know how ridiculous the notion is that this is in anyway still an "education mission" ? There's a reason Father Jenkins is one of the highest paid private university presidents in the country and it isn't because of the academics of a catholic private institution in the middle of nowhere.

Being able to earn fair market value for one's services is as american as it gets. The NCAA is basically a cartel suppressing wages by colluding against the athletes.

I was simply responding to the "stress" of highly recruited high school athletes.
What is very sad is kids that don't take advantage of the chance to get their degree. Guys like Stepherson and Redfield who have a chance to parlay their athletic talents to at a minimum get a degree from a fantastic university.
Couldn't agree more.

For me personally it isn't so much about it being "sad" or feeling sorry for poor kids. It's a simple matter of gaining fair market value for one's services.

College football is a $13B industry (just a tad smaller than the NFL these days) ... Do you know how ridiculous the notion is that this is in anyway still an "education mission" ? There's a reason Father Jenkins is one of the highest paid private university presidents in the country and it isn't because of the academics of a catholic private institution in the middle of nowhere.

Being able to earn fair market value for one's services is as american as it gets. The NCAA is basically a cartel suppressing wages by colluding against the athletes.
The easiest solution is to allow them to benefit from their skills, likeness,signature etc. Other students on full scholarship are not restricted in their ability to do that why are athletes ?

Today, student athletes get the full cost of education which is typically 2-3 thousand more than tuition, room, and board. On top of this, economically disadvantaged students can also get the Pell grant which is about $5,500/year. This is on top of getting a completely free education. This is plenty of money. My daughter has to watch her money closely in college and she probably spend $3k on books and other miscellaneous things. Of course student athletes get free books as well.
College football generates billions of dollars a year. Athletes should not have to depend on the government to give them money

The NFL gets a free minor league/doesn't have to share any of its revenue with risky prospective talent (young athletes who don't pan out), and the NCAA and its corporate sponsors get to exploit young men's virtually free labor with this ridiculous notion that at the FBS level, despite the billions of dollars in the industry, this is still somehow amateurism.

The whole system in place is extremely one sided and in favor of the old wealth & power at the top.

that's every industry everywhere. They get to hire their workforce educated by someone else at no risk to the company.

With the exception of some big basketball schools, football supports all of the other athletic programs. Being a former football player, you may not care about the other programs. I wasn't a scholarship athlete but I loved, and still love, college sports - all of the sports. I appreciate how ND has kept high standards for the student athletes that attend ND. Keep in mind d that ND also puts athletic profits back into the general fund.

With the exception of some big basketball schools, football supports all of the other athletic programs. Being a former football player, you may not care about the other programs. I wasn't a scholarship athlete but I loved, and still love, college sports - all of the sports. I appreciate how ND has kept high standards for the student athletes that attend ND. Keep in mind d that ND also puts athletic profits back into the general fund.
I agree. Let the athletes, all of them be able to benefit from their own likeness, skill, signature etc.

ADVERTISEMENT