ADVERTISEMENT

BK and the QB.....why. It must be asked.

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
Why is there always a "yeah but" when talking about every single QB that BK has recruited and signed.
Golson....
He was a smurf. Listed at 6'...no way was he technically over 5'10". (For some who dont know they always jockey actual measurements around for roster listing and program purposes.

Zaire....
extremely inaccurate and bad judgment

Kizer...
here was one good example. Big, strong arm. Accurate deep ball.
What happened? Left too son.

Wimbush...
seemed the part. Actually was the most inaccurate QB I've ever seen. Worse than Zaire. Poor judgment as well.

Book...
Weak arm. Smaller side. If he's 6' he's barely right at 6'. I'm betting he's more 5'11". He bails on the pocket too soon. Y'all know how I feel about that.

Jurkovich...
Here was another. Big, strong kid, came from a winning background in arguably the hardest division in high school football in the country. Not just in PA.
What happened? Transferred

Buchner....
He might be the smallest QB I've ever seen. Now his throwing motion apparently is all messed up.
Oh and he's still a smurf.

2 kids in 10 plus years under BK.
What happened? The two we needed to play the most left early and the other left way early transferring.

It seems like BK gets the table scraps. The scraps of a rib eye can still be decent but it's not what you really want.
When he's handed a potential nice piece of prime rib he burns the hell out of it or serves it too rare.

The only constant in all this has been BK. QB coaches have come and gone but he ultimately remained throughout.

The question has to be asked by him in the mirror. What the hell am I doing wrong with the QB position?

Bringing in a QB with a "yeah but" following their name is wrong. So he's targeting the wrong recruits and when he lands the ideal one he ruins it.

If you look at the above list every single one was handled wrong. All of them.
Golson...
played too much. (How many times did Rees have to spell him in the 12 season?) Then he also played 5 games too long AFTER he became the fumble king.

Zaire...playing Golson too long means Zaire wasn't playing. But when he did the tiny example is a decent LSU bowl game that Golson had to spell on obvious passing downs, a pristine Texas game that Texas thought they were playing 7 vs 7 summer without drills and a busted ankle after an uneventful 2 quarters vs UVA.

Kizer should've been playing immediately. He was big, wasn't intimidated, and could throw the long ball accurately.

Wimbush...
17 starts before BK decides he cant throw accurately. WTH. 17 starts too many.

Book even after showing he can move the ball better than Wimbush still doesn't get the nod until he had to play him.

Jurkovich comes in and could be that real deal next big thing....
But BK's wrong handling of the depth chart with Wimbush gave Book one year too long of eligibility.

The Buchner kid. Tiny. Not that some QB can't catch fire being small but they must be exceptional at something. Kyler Murray was elusive and very accurate. Russell Wilson was elusive and extremely accurate. Doug Flutie was all the above plus had a cannon for an arm.
You know what else those players had? Some decent girth about them. A decent frame. This Buchner kid is tiny. He's not only short but literally has a petite frame.

10 plus years of QB play under BK has been bad.
Playing the wrong one to begin with, sticking with the wrong one too long, not playing the correct one early enough or at all ...
The most important position and it's handled completely wrong!!! Not a recipe for success against strong teams.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Why is there always a "yeah but" when talking about every single QB that BK has recruited and signed.
Golson....
He was a smurf. Listed at 6'...no way was he technically over 5'10". (For some who dont know they always jockey actual measurements around for roster listing and program purposes.

Zaire....

Kizer...

Wimbush...
seemed the part. Actually was the most inaccurate QB I've ever seen. Worse than Zaire. Poor judgment as well.

Book...
Weak arm. Smaller side. If he's 6' he's barely right at 6'. I'm betting he's more 5'11". He bails on the pocket too soon. Y'all know how I feel about that.

Jurkovich...
Here was another. Big, strong kid, came from a winning background in arguably the hardest division in high school football in the country. Not just in PA.

Buchner....
He might be the smallest QB I've ever seen. Now his throwing motion apparently is all messed up.

What happened? The two we needed to play the most left early and the other left way early transferring.

It seems like BK gets the table scraps. The scraps of a rib eye can still be decent but it's not what you really want.
When he's handed a potential nice piece of prime rib he burns the hell out of it or serves it too rare.

The only constant in all this has been BK. QB coaches have come and gone but he ultimately remained throughout.

The question has to be asked by him in the mirror. What the hell am I doing wrong with the QB position?

Bringing in a QB with a "yeah but" following their name is wrong. So he's targeting the wrong recruits and when he lands the ideal one he ruins it.

Golson...
played too much. (How many times did Rees have to spell him in the 12 season?) Then he also played 5 games too long AFTER he became the fumble king.

Zaire...playing Golson too long means Zaire wasn't playing. But when he did the tiny example is a decent LSU bowl game that Golson had to spell on obvious passing downs, a pristine Texas game that Texas thought they were playing 7 vs 7 summer without drills and a busted ankle after an uneventful 2 quarters vs UVA.

Kizer should've been playing immediately. He was big, wasn't intimidated, and could throw the long ball accurately.

Wimbush...

Book even after showing he can move the ball better than Wimbush still doesn't get the nod until he had to play him.

But BK's wrong handling of the depth chart with Wimbush gave Book one year too long of eligibility.

The Buchner kid. Tiny. Not that some QB can't catch fire being small but they must be exceptional at something. Kyler Murray was elusive and very accurate. Russell Wilson was elusive and extremely accurate. Doug Flutie was all the above plus had a cannon for an arm.
You know what else those players had? Some decent girth about them. A decent frame. This Buchner kid is tiny. He's not only short but literally has a petite frame.

Playing the wrong one to begin with, sticking with the wrong one too long, not playing the correct one early enough or at all ...
The most important position and it's handled completely wrong!!! Not a recipe for success against strong teams.
Hardest division of H. S. football in the country ? Funniest thing I've read in quite sometime. Yes at one time football in Ohio and Pennsylvania especially western Pennsylvania was as good as any high school football in the country. Unfortunately those days are long gone.

Golson....

Zaire....

Kizer...

Wimbush...

Book...

Jurkovich...

Buchner....

Golson...

Wimbush...

Not close to the hardest division in the US. Ridiculous.

Buchner measured at 6'1.5" at a camp last year so far from there smallest

Reactions: VTND
88: you're freaking me out about this QB/BK and Tommy Rees discussion. Is there a counterpoint that can get me off the ledge? Anyone? I always thought that being a top recruiter was one of the most important parts of an OC's job description. What's going on? Signed , What would Rockne do?

Hardest division of H. S. football in the country ? Funniest thing I've read in quite sometime. Yes at one time football in Ohio and Pennsylvania especially western Pennsylvania was as good as any high school football in the country. Unfortunately those days are long gone.
If that's the funniest you've read in sometime you need a little more life and less internet.

6A football in Western PA can rival any in the country. The WPIAL is good top to bottom but especially in 5a and 6a it's extremely difficult to go bell to bell.

Stick with chest thumping about your resume.

P.s.

It still doesn't change the fact that the most important position on the team is consistently dogged by BK.

I love how he says he reinvented himself and allowed assistants to do more and he just manage it all now.

Yeeeaaahhhhhhh....hands off all but the most important position. He's still fully engaged with the offense and QB and in every single huge game our QB play is............poor to say the least.
Once? Ok. Twice? Raise the brow. Thrice? And so on... There's a reason and that reason is BK.

Reactions: G_a_r_y
What happen to Clark and Payne? Clark might end up being the starter after Book.

Wow all this panic over the elite 11 camp? Seriously? Buchner will be fine. His actual game tape tells the story not some glorified target practice.

What happen to Clark and Payne? Clark might end up being the starter after Book.

That’s what I’m thinking, I’ve only heard solid things about Drew Pyne. From one of the articles I read, he has been working out with Daniel Jones and has added on some muscle and about 5-10 yards in his deep ball.

88ND, Kizer was a great QB, so why did you dismiss him so quickly ?

He left too soon because the NFL wanted him.

Great recruit.

My criticism was, why didn’t he start sooner ?

I have my theories.

If that's the funniest you've read in sometime you need a little more life and less internet.

6A football in Western PA can rival any in the country. The WPIAL is good top to bottom but especially in 5a and 6a it's extremely difficult to go bell to bell.

Stick with chest thumping about your resume.

P.s.

It still doesn't change the fact that the most important position on the team is consistently dogged by BK.

I love how he says he reinvented himself and allowed assistants to do more and he just manage it all now.

Yeeeaaahhhhhhh....hands off all but the most important position. He's still fully engaged with the offense and QB and in every single huge game our QB play is............poor to say the least.
Once? Ok. Twice? Raise the brow. Thrice? And so on... There's a reason and that reason is BK.
Football in western pa is not close to being the best around the country.

Book has directed us to a playoff berth and the most points we’ve ever scored and some of you rag on him. I have no real dog in this fight other than performance and results. The book bashers are full of it. You people have no idea what you’re in store for after he’s gone. He’s been the best we’ve had since Quinn, no doubt.

Book has directed us to a playoff berth and the most points we’ve ever scored and some of you rag on him. I have no real dog in this fight other than performance and results. The book bashers are full of it. You people have no idea what you’re in store for after he’s gone. He’s been the best we’ve had since Quinn, no doubt.
Most rational people put him in the right category. Hes a good QB. Hes not elite like some try to make him out to be. And hes not trash like some make him out to be. Hes a good QB. His strengths and weaknesses are obvious now. Hopefully he can make his strengths stronger and work on his weaknesses.

Clausen was a better QB than Book though. Kizer and Golson at their best were better but had bad dips. Book will be missed but is definitely replaceable. We'll continue to win after he is gone.

I respect it, but I disagree w/ ur opinion, golson. I don’t see many here, if any at all, trying “to make him elite” but I see a few say he’s trash. They’re full of it. He’s really, really good and for the group that wants him to stay in there every single time and be the prototype 6-5 pocket passer, they’re not being realistic. He’s not your typical drop back passer, don’t know why people ever expected that from a barely 6-0 qb. He’s been super accurate, more elite than any other qb in the 4th qtr and has led us to a playoff and an 11-2 season. The detractors make me throw up, but everyone’s entitled to their opinion I guess.

The mods have gone antifa. If you question the coaching you are immediately dispatched.
Why wouldn't you question the coaching? The results speak for themselves.
We're now at a point we consistently beat the weak(s.fla, Tulsa, losses are in the past) but competing and winning with the top is still a pipe dream.

The closest and best coached game was a loss. @Tallahassee. shoulda, coulda, but we didn't.

How don't we have a victory even by accident? Purdue literally thumps OSU 2 years ago....and while they were ultra inspired with that kid on the sideline they still dominated OSU.

We can't even get one of those games we play above our head and the opposition plays ultra poorly.....other middle of the road teams get a big upset from time to time.
Pitt beat Clemson in their
Not even close. Kizer was much better. Book enjoys a much better defense than the debacle run by BVG.
Jurkovich might have been much better as well but we'll never know that.

We had a very fortunate schedule to get there.

What happened when we played the toughest opponent? Our one lone tough opponent. How'd Book do in that game.
3 points. 7 points less than Pitt scored in the slop.

These are the toughest teams Book has played.
Clemson
Georgia
Michigan...

That's it. He's had 3 tough teams to face as the starter.

How many of those did he win?
Don't answer that.

How good were his stats in those three games?
Don't answer that either.

Where you have me wrong is this...

Book has his short comings but the biggest killer of everything is BK.

Last edited:
88ND, Kizer was a great QB, so why did you dismiss him so quickly ?

He left too soon because the NFL wanted him.

Great recruit.

My criticism was, why didn’t he start sooner ?

I have my theories.
I didnt say he wasn't. On the contrary I was very clear he should've been playing immediately out of the gate. He really was that good. Mature for his age. Big frame. Good arm. Made good decisions.

Jurkovich might have been in the same category. Size, arm...tough high school competition...
But we'll never know.

The two best QB's BK has had in 10 years were the two who didnt play enough. Kizer...and Jurkovich.

Everyone else played e entirely too long including Book who we must endure another year with him taking the snap.

It sucks. The most important position on the team and BK single handedly ruins it.

I didnt say he wasn't. On the contrary I was very clear he should've been playing immediately out of the gate. He really was that good. Mature for his age. Big frame. Good arm. Made good decisions.

Jurkovich might have been in the same category. Size, arm...tough high school competition...
But we'll never know.

The two best QB's BK has had in 10 years were the two who didnt play enough. Kizer...and Jurkovich.

Everyone else played e entirely too long including Book who we must endure another year with him taking the snap.

It sucks. The most important position on the team and BK single handedly ruins it.
We'll find out how good he is at BC.

Kizer threw a much better ball than Jurk has ever thrown.

I call bullshit on Kiser being better than book. You keep citing the three big games and that’s fine & understandable because those are the games that mean the most, but he played better than you haters spin it against Clemson (one of the best front sevens and overall defenses in a while and had, at least, 5 huge drops and zero semblance of a running game), played plenty good enough to beat UGA in Athens had it not been for finke totally mishandling a 3rd down conversion that not only resulted in a drop but a pick that gave Georgia what ended up being their game winning fg, and admittedly looked like shit in a monsoon, where any passing offense was doomed. So you can go ahead and keep citing the “three big games” all you want, but that doesn’t paint book’s entire picture. He’s been damn good and as long as you bashers keep bashing, I’ll keep defending his play against the over the top negative bullshit analysis of him. We’ve been one of the better teams in the country over the last few years because of his play, not in spite of it.

Last edited:
“Everyone else played e entirely too long including Book who we must endure another year with him taking the snap.”

omg, you are so full of shit. Maybe we’ll set another scoring record while “enduring” another year of subpar qb play. Do you even realize how stupid you book bashers sound when you talk about how bad we are under book’s tenure when we’ve scored more points than any other 2 year stretch in our storied history? Give it a rest already.

I call bullshit on Kiser being better than book. You keep citing the three big games and that’s fine & understandable because those are the games that mean the most, but he played better than you haters spin it against Clemson (one of the best front sevens and overall defenses in a while and had, at least, 5 huge drops and zero semblance of a running game), played plenty good enough to beat UGA in Athens had it not been for finke totally mishandling a 3rd down conversion that not only resulted in a drop but a pick that gave Georgia what ended up being their game winning fg, and admittedly looked like shit in a monsoon, where any passing offense was doomed. So you can go ahead and keep citing the “three big games” all you want, but that doesn’t paint book’s entire picture. He’s been damn good and as long as you bashers keep bashing, I’ll keep defending his play against the over the top negative bullshit analysis of him. We’ve been one of the better teams in the country over the last few years because of his play, not in spite of it.
We've been one of the better teams over the last 3 years because of multiple reasons. He is part of the reason. Defense is the number 1 reason. Also we have a lot of talent around him. With a really good coaching staff as well.

Kizer is much more talented than Book and at his best Id take Kizer over Book. Clausen was better than Book as well

We'll find out how good he is at BC.

Kizer threw a much better ball than Jurk has ever thrown.
Wwweeelllllll...

Considering Kizer attempted 677 more passes in college I'd certainly say the sampling is just a tad lopsided.

Jurkovich attempted 18 passes in his entire collegiate career. Last year he was 12-16 with 222 yards and a 230+ QBR

Either way he's gone because Brian Kelly... the QB master... obliterated the eligibility cycle and stuck with Wimbush entirely way too long!!

Book should've been done last year but nnnooooooooo. One more year of beating the weak and losing to the strong.

Wwweeelllllll...

Considering Kizer attempted 677 more passes in college I'd certainly say the sampling is just a tad lopsided.

Jurkovich attempted 18 passes in his entire collegiate career. Last year he was 12-16 with 222 yards and a 230+ QBR

Either way he's gone because Brian Kelly... the QB master... obliterated the eligibility cycle and stuck with Wimbush entirely way too long!!

Book should've been done last year but nnnooooooooo. One more year of beating the weak and losing to the strong.
Hes gone because Book is better than him right now.

Hes gone because Book is better than him right now.
LOL....

You keep telling yourself that and believing in BK.

Golson played too long after becoming the fumble king. After 5 disastrous performances he decides to go why Zaire.
Kizer was miles better than Zaire but Kizer only played due to a broken ankle.
Book was clearly better than Wimbush 14 starts prior to Wimbush 17 inaccurate starts.

Yep it's so crystal clear BK always makes the best and correct decisions.

LOL... keep defending the indefensible brotha

In my view QB play has consistently been good enough at ND and there are much bigger problems in the program than at quarterback.

Rees: middling prospect/limited athlete/limited arm developed into a solid P5-level starter
Golson: ranked in the mid 200s developed into a solid P5-level starter
Kizer: ranked in the mid 200s developed into a 2nd round NFL draft pick.
Book: Ranked down in the 500s--a three-star like Rees--developed into a solid P5-level starter.

In 10 years you have 4 "hits" at QB -- which is probably well above average relative to other major P5 programs ... and several of these "hits" came from recruits signed out of the bargain bin. This is a position rife with instability/inconsistency/turnover/etc. throughout the country.

BK needs to recruit better players on offense in general far more consistently -- THEN he will have the "tools" to produce superstar QBs who win heisman trophies, and dominate college football. Point being the QB position requires a lot of support to function optimally.

Last edited:
Reactions: echochamber
LOL....

You keep telling yourself that and believing in BK.

Golson played too long after becoming the fumble king. After 5 disastrous performances he decides to go why Zaire.
Kizer was miles better than Zaire but Kizer only played due to a broken ankle.
Book was clearly better than Wimbush 14 starts prior to Wimbush 17 inaccurate starts.

Yep it's so crystal clear BK always makes the best and correct decisions.

LOL... keep defending the indefensible brotha
Past situations mean nothing to this particular situation brotha.

We'll see how Phil does at BC compared to Book and we can judge.

Your ramblings over and over are pointless

In my view QB play has consistently been good enough at ND and there are much bigger problems in the program than at quarterback.

Rees: middling prospect/limited athlete/limited arm developed into a solid P5-level starter
Golson: ranked in the mid 200s developed into a solid P5-level starter
Kizer: ranked in the mid 200s developed into a 2nd round NFL draft pick.
Book: Ranked down in the 500s--a three-star like Rees--developed into a solid P5-level starter.

In 10 years you have 4 "hits" at QB -- which is probably well above average relative to other major P5 programs ... and several of these "hits" came from recruits signed out of the bargain bin. This is a position rife with instability/inconsistency/turnover/etc. throughout the country.

BK needs to recruit better players on offense in general far more consistently -- THEN he will have the "tools" to produce superstar QBs who win heisman trophies, and dominate college football. Point being the QB position requires a lot of support to function optimally.
If he just stays away from the position and the offense altogether it would help immensely.

We had a very fortunate schedule to get there.

What happened when we played the toughest opponent? Our one lone tough opponent. How'd Book do in that game.
3 points. 7 points less than Pitt scored in the slop.

These are the toughest teams Book has played.
Clemson
Georgia
Michigan...

That's it. He's had 3 tough teams to face as the starter.

How many of those did he win?
Don't answer that.

How good were his stats in those three games?
Don't answer that either.

Where you have me wrong is this...

Book has his short comings but the biggest killer of everything is BK.

So does Clemson-----plays in a league that's way down right now and they can build and develop over the course of 12 games . They have 10 wins the day camp starts.

I give him a mulligan vs Michigan because of the awful weather.

I didn't think he was bad against Georgia. He wasn't great but they were better than us up and down .

As to Clemson-----we had 5 sophs blocking 3 # 1 Draft choices and a # 3. How did you think that was going to come out ?

Plus Mack and Claypool killed 2 drives with bad drops on balls they should have had easily.

If I see him bad in our big games this year I'll rethink my position.

Reactions: francade
So does Clemson-----plays in a league that's way down right now and they can build and develop over the course of 12 games . They have 10 wins the day camp starts.

I give him a mulligan vs Michigan because of the awful weather.

I didn't think he was bad against Georgia. He wasn't great but they were better than us up and down .

As to Clemson-----we had 5 sophs blocking 3 # 1 Draft choices and a # 3. How did you think that was going to come out ?

Plus Mack and Claypool killed 2 drives with bad drops on balls they should have had easily.

If I see him bad in our big games this year I'll rethink my position.
Seems like you're giving mulligans out across the board. You have excuses for every big game loss.

I'm a results oriented person. It seems you're an excuse oriented person.

I say again though...Ian has his short comings alright but this whole thing falls on BK.
His handling of the depth chart, development, scheme, etc etc is the biggest problem with the QB play at ND.

Seems like you're giving mulligans out across the board. You have excuses for every big game loss.

I say again though...Ian has his short comings alright but this whole thing falls on BK.
His handling of the depth chart, development, scheme, etc etc is the biggest problem with the QB play at ND.
You aren't results oriented. You are excuse oriented.

Result, we go 33 and 6. Your excuse, schedule.

Excuses to fit your agenda. Kinda like cnn with you

" This whole thing falls on BK "

Shocking analysis from 88

With all the craziness that is going on with this pandemic and the questions regarding whether or not this year even plays..I’m grateful that we have an experienced QB starting. Book has played in some big games, as big as they get. One of the few years Kelly has had this advantage.

Wwweeelllllll...

While I agree that Kizer should have started sooner and I agree that Book should have replaced Wimbush sooner, those decisions are in the past.

What is your recommendation for the QB position in 2020 ?

ADVERTISEMENT