ADVERTISEMENT

BK and His Post Game Presser

Toby Smart

All Star
Aug 28, 2002
I mentioned this very early this morning and I think it is important enough to delve into. The last question of his post game was from a young female awkward reporter who asked about a link to losing games on last possessions...Georgia to last season. BK gets testy and "straightens" out the nervous young reporter with his usual word play. He believes last night's game was a one point loss and not a last possession loss. The real fact behind his "one point loss" was that it was a national tv loss in front of a "home" crowd and recruits. Don't blame her Coach Bully. She was not on the OL and she wasn't the one who was supposed to coach up these guys and she wasn't the one who hired the guy who is supposed to coach up these guys and she wasn't the one who averaged negative yards in punt returns and she wasn't the one who allowed great field position on KO return coverage. This HC of ours had no problem standing in front of everyone last week, answering questions, after beating mighty Temple and now he's playing hardball with a young nervous female reporter.

It worked against the coach because she absolutely brutalizes him in the article. Calls him out for inability to win big games. Not sure if I would want to discuss that either immediately after this loss.

It worked against the coach because she absolutely brutalizes him in the article. Calls him out for inability to win big games. Not sure if I would want to discuss that either immediately after this loss.

Any Link (or source) to article

I'd like to read it.

Reactions: Bodizephax
I mentioned this very early this morning and I think it is important enough to delve into. The last question of his post game was from a young female awkward reporter who asked about a link to losing games on last possessions...Georgia to last season. BK gets testy and "straightens" out the nervous young reporter with his usual word play. He believes last night's game was a one point loss and not a last possession loss. The real fact behind his "one point loss" was that it was a national tv loss in front of a "home" crowd and recruits. Don't blame her Coach Bully. She was not on the OL and she wasn't the one who was supposed to coach up these guys and she wasn't the one who hired the guy who is supposed to coach up these guys and she wasn't the one who averaged negative yards in punt returns and she wasn't the one who allowed great field position on KO return coverage. This HC of ours had no problem standing in front of everyone last week, answering questions, after beating mighty Temple and now he's playing hardball with a young nervous female reporter.
Yawn

Reactions: Ara64
I actually didn't think it was an unfair question to ask. I'm sure he's sensitive to the fact that this team may still have scar tissue from a 4-8 season and the way that game played out isn't going to help them forget. Having 2 of our "easier" games over the next 3 weeks will help build them back up (if they can dominate and also beat Michigan State) but I'm sure these demons are not easy to wrestle.

Actually up until that question I thought he handled himself very well. I don't know the history between the two of them but there appeared to be some. It appeared the question she was trying to ask was "after a close loss what is going to be different this year versus last year in terms of the losses snowballing". She was long winded in her question but he could have handled it better. But think of it. How many people got on this site last night and were so upset they said things that seems a little silly this morning? No one on this site wants to win more than BK. He is human. I'm sure he was very upset that this game slipped away. That said, he could have handled it better, no question.

As most people know I am not a bk supporter and never have been. However, she couldn't spit out the question, and he was pissed just after the loss and let her have it. I kind of liked what he said

Reactions: Ara64
Well, he's the head coach. He doesn't want the headline tomorrow in the local papers to be "Will ND loss snowball this week at BC"? He doesn't want his team reading that all week.

I think he shut her down exactly as he should.

Reactions: Ara64 and Pennick44
That sound like a good, solid reporter to you?

Not important! It's in her twitter or somewhere. She's some kind of intern or something like that. But she's going to make herself famous by hounding Kelly and getting him riled up. At least, that's her plan.

Whether you like Kelly or not, I think we might all agree he could have handled it better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inlumine
Ok. So how much success do you have to have, to be frustrated with an unprofessional reporter? What's the threshold?
Well I just think it's a fact that when you win you can get away with a lot more. I didn't mind it at all, but the media will attack him for it. Winning cures all

I want to know if this is going to snowball and I'm not a reporter. Pounding on BC will tell us very little. If BK wants cream puff questions, then only invite Jack Nolan to the presser. I don't know the history of the two and I don't care. All I know is I was there to see our home get invaded by thousands of ridiculously nice souls and then watched our OL get legally assaulted for 60 minutes and then our fearless leader is going to cop an attitude about the very question I would like to ask as a fan? Who thought the 2016 Texas game would lead to 4-8 after all?

The reporter was female and looked to be around 22 years old. Uncool for any man to act like that, imo.

Toby, you are a hard core Irish fan. Your post is right on.

Is she cute?

Reactions: TOMMY_23
Stupid question when you just lost a game by 1 point and the young lady sounded like she just stepped off Venice Beach.

Note the 2nd response from Kelly. At that point, he made it a contentious exchange. He is deserving of his image as an irascible sort. Standing there under the ND banners and colors, wearing ND attire, he is representing the university. The question is, is this the kind of image or behavior that the University of Notre Dame wishes to portray, promote or endorse? Jack Swarbrick was present for the presser.

The exchange:
Kelly: What’s the question?

Reporter: I’m getting to it.

Kelly: Well, get to the question.

Reporter: How do you keep this from snowballing?

Kelly: It’s not going to snowball. Next question.

Reporter: Well, what exactly will be different, I guess.

Kelly: There’s nothing different. I go to work every day, and I coach my football team.

Reporter: OK.

Kelly: Is that — is that good enough for you?

Reporter: Yeah, I was just asking about how it was different from last year’s losing by one possession.

Kelly: OK.

Reporter: Tonight was also like that, so I was just wondering.

Kelly: Losing by one possession?

Reporter: Yeah.

Kelly: No, it was one point

Last edited:
The reporter was female and looked to be around 22 years old. Uncool for any man to act like that, imo.
Did you read the transcript? She was out of line. Not sure why this is such a big deal....she's getting paid to do a job....tough days and some tough moments come with the territory. We've all had them!

Note the 2nd response from Kelly. At that point, he made it a contentious exchange. He is deserving of his image as an irascible sort. Standing there under the ND banners and colors, wearing ND attire, he is representing the university. The question is, is this the kind of image or behavior that the University of Notre Dame wishes to portray, promote or endorse? Jack Swarbrick was present for the presser.

The exchange:
Kelly: What’s the question?

Reporter: I’m getting to it.

Kelly: Well, get to the question.

Reporter: How do you keep this from snowballing?

Kelly: It’s not going to snowball. Next question.

Reporter: Well, what exactly will be different, I guess.

Kelly: There’s nothing different. I go to work every day, and I coach my football team.

Reporter: OK.

Kelly: Is that — is that good enough for you?

Reporter: Yeah, I was just asking about how it was different from last year’s losing by one possession.

Kelly: OK.

Reporter: Tonight was also like that, so I was just wondering.

Kelly: Losing by one possession?

Reporter: Yeah.

Kelly: No, it was one point
Funny stuff.

As our new friend Laken implied on saturday, Kelly better win this weekend. I'm not sure he survives a loss.

Actually Kelly will survive quite well. Notre Dame football?
A what if might be if Notre Dame were to lose only to UGA, USC and Stanford and finish 9-3, how would fans view the season?

ADVERTISEMENT