ADVERTISEMENT

Bill O’Brien new Tide OC

SouthFloridaIrish

Irish Insider
Nov 8, 2020
Nick Saban has created a rehabilitation center for fired Head Football Coaches.

Lane Kiffin (Now a Head Coach)
Steve Sark (Now a Head Coach)
Butch Jones (Now a Head Coach)
Mike Locksley (Now a Head Coach)
Charlie Strong ??????
Bill O’Brien ????????

The pitch is probably goes like this “You give me 2 or 3 years and I’ll teach you how to run a program and you’ll be a Head Coach again. Now go to Dunkin Donuts and get me a large coffee with skim milk and 2 sugars. And it better be hot!!!”

If I’m recruiting WR against him I’m definitely bringing up how he couldn’t make it work with Hopkins.
Maybe this is the hire that finally starts to kill the Saban culture?

Reactions: IrishMike409
If I’m recruiting WR against him I’m definitely bringing up how he couldn’t make it work with Hopkins.
Maybe this is where we get BK's successor and break our glass ceiling,

Charlie Strong ??????
Bill O’Brien ????????

The pitch is probably goes like this “You give me 2 or 3 years and I’ll teach you how to run a program and you’ll be a Head Coach again. Now go to Dunkin Donuts and get me a large coffee with skim milk and 2 sugars. And it better be hot!!!”

Saban doesn't drink coffee. He drinks molten lava.

Charlie Strong ??????
Bill O’Brien ????????

Meanwhile, Kelly hires Tommy Rees.

Let's see if the Cards want Hopkins back.

Bill o'brien is and has been a dumpster fire.

All those guys were dumpster fires. Kiffin was fired on the Tarmac, Sark drank himself out of a job, Locksley was 1-11, 1-11 and 0-4 at NM when they canned him. And Charlie Strong & Butch Jones got run out of Texas and Tenn like a Rocket Ship on rails.

Bill O’Brien had the Texans in the 2019 NFL playoffs, won a Wild Csrd game and had the Chiefs 0-21 in the Divisional Round. Not to mention he did a respectable job cleaning up that PSU mess. He is Vince Lombardi.compared to those other dudes.

I’ll admit if I was HC at ND, and the OC position came open, and having a choice between a seasoned OC and former HC, or an under 30 rookie OC & play caller. I’d go with the veteran because at ND, I’m expected to win every game, there is no place for rookie mistakes.

But...if I just had to fire someone (Chip) who I brought in from the outside. And I had to fire him not on performance, but because he created a toxic work environment for players and offensive coaches, I may give consideration to young guy I have known for 10 years. Teach him, surround him with good coaches and create harmony.

Because former Head Coaches also come with healthy egos and other than Saban or Urban, who else can check those egos?

Bill O'Brien is a lot like Weis to me. He can call a game and recruit but doesn't develop players well or run the team well. I think big time OC is perfect for him as I would have loved to have Weis as ND OC. I haven't been in awe of play calling since Weis left. A few times with kelly and long, but not a ton, and none with Rees. Doesn't mean long, kelly, rees are bad (don't think they're great), but Weis at times had the ability to be 5 steps ahead of some good defensive coordinators.

Doesn't run the team well ?

He won 4 Division Titles in 7 seasons at Houston-------not bad.

Were the 2 6-6 squads or the 3-9 club the ones you were in awe of watching during the Weis tenure ?

Bill O'Brien is a lot like Weis to me. He can call a game and recruit but doesn't develop players well or run the team well. I think big time OC is perfect for him as I would have loved to have Weis as ND OC. I haven't been in awe of play calling since Weis left. A few times with kelly and long, but not a ton, and none with Rees. Doesn't mean long, kelly, rees are bad (don't think they're great), but Weis at times had the ability to be 5 steps ahead of some good defensive coordinators.
Yeah, that " schematic advantage " was really on display the year a ND offense under Charlie Weis finished dead last in the nation statistically. No one ever did less for more.

Weis was overrated, should give Belichick and Brady half of his dowry.

I’ll admit if I was HC at ND, and the OC position came open, and having a choice between a seasoned OC and former HC, or an under 30 rookie OC & play caller. I’d go with the veteran because at ND, I’m expected to win every game, there is no place for rookie mistakes.

Might want to wait to see if the Saban coaching rehab alumni pan out. I don't think Kiffin will ever win an SEC title at Ole Miss.

I think he gets them to consistent 8-9 wins a year which is fine at Ole Miss before he replaces Nick at Bama

Might want to wait to see if the Saban coaching rehab alumni pan out. I don't think Kiffin will ever win an SEC title at Ole Miss.

He may well not. But the Rebels were very much improved this year compared to last.

Yeah, that " schematic advantage " was really on display the year a ND offense under Charlie Weis finished dead last in the nation statistically. No one ever did less for more.
Shouldn’t have been head coach no doubt, but man could call a game

Charlie Strong is now on Urban's staff and Kevin Sumlin is working for BAMA.

I don't get the Sumlin hire - he probably made/makes more money from payouts than he did for actually coaching . O'Brien - the Texans are a train wreck??

I don't get the Sumlin hire - he probably made/makes more money from payouts than he did for actually coaching . O'Brien - the Texans are a train wreck??
Sumlin beat Bama once, maybe Nick wants to find out how.

Maybe some coaches just aren't cut out for both college and the NFL.

Shouldn’t have been head coach no doubt, but man could call a game

Well he was awful at Florida as their OC and an absolute catastrophe as the HFC at Kansas.

You would have to look near and far to find a guy who's made more money being a below average College Football Coach than Charlie Weis.

Reactions: NDSMC78

He comes as an Analyst for almost no money .

He doesn't want to violate the terms of his buyouts .

I am not sure he is still getting paid by the Aggies but he walked away from Arizona owed in excess of 7 million.

The way these guys choose to take their buyouts is interesting. Some discount what they are owed for a flat 1 time check and others stretch it out over an extended period of time.

"Sumlin beat Bama once, maybe Nick wants to find out how."

Johnny Manziel ?

Parcells and Belichick were master chefs. They evaluated and hired the staff, ordered the ingredients, wrote the recipes and made sure the staff were following instructions. Weis was just a cook, all he could do was follow the recipes, listen to the chef and put out the dishes.

The minute he was put in charge of the kitchen, he didn’t know how to shop for ingredients, write the recipes or hire a staff. And he burned the restaurant to the ground.

“Brady Quinn is NFL ready right now”
“Munir Prince has “rare” speed
“Kyle McCarthy will be a10 year starting safety in the NFL”
“We’re moving Harrison Smith (a legit NFL Pro Bowl safety) to Will LB
Let’s run a 4-3 with Rick Minter
Let’s run a 3-4 Patriots style with Corwin Brown
Let’s run a hybrid pressure defense with Jon Tenuta, that never adapted to Spread Offenses and couldn’t stop a nose bleed at the end of 2009.

Well he was awful at Florida as their OC and an absolute catastrophe as the HFC at Kansas.

You would have to look near and far to find a guy who's made more money being a below average College Football Coach than Charlie Weis.

You can't read much into a one and done coordinator stint.

You can read plenty into a man's 2nd HC job where all of the same problems repeated themselves, such as players looking out of shape and disinterested.

Last edited:
Reactions: echowaker
ADVERTISEMENT