ADVERTISEMENT

Big Big Win

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
Don't kid yourselves fellas, Virginia is a good team who just might go undefeated and end up in the top 12. Our defense played championship football the last two weeks. That third quarter might have been the best I've seen a nd defense ever play... Our offense continues to disappoint. (Although it was nice that TJ and the Line was finally able to close it out...) But Chip Long has some explaining to do. We need to be better. Good win. Another home win. A win after a tough road loss. This team is showing me something.

Great win. Not perfect, but here’s to UVA winning every other game it plays from here on in. Also, respect for a school like UVA, i.e., a public ivy with standards.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
Yup, unlike Georgia, the graduate their football players!

Our D showed up big in the second half and just dominated. Our O struggled but tony bailed us out.

Good win. The defense dominated in the 2nd half. And nice game for Tony Jones Jr. Go Irish!!

I’ll take the win. Defense played well after they took the shackles off. The offense , in my opinion, is awful. They are in need of a game changer . Without a legit run game, Book will have a hard time. ND doesn’t have one player on the offensive side that scares a defense. It’s a “ Workman “ type of offense. But , you have to play the cards you are dealt. It’s going to be really tough to win out unless they can get the offense to break out. Anyway, nice win today. Kudos to the defense for winning this game.

Don't kid yourselves fellas, Virginia is a good team who just might go undefeated and end up in the top 12. Our defense played championship football the last two weeks. That third quarter might have been the best I've seen a nd defense ever play... Our offense continues to disappoint. (Although it was nice that TJ and the Line was finally able to close it out...) But Chip Long has some explaining to do. We need to be better. Good win. Another home win. A win after a tough road loss. This team is showing me something.
Good win, but there's absolutely no way that Virginia wins out and finishes in the top 12.
They are an 8-9 win team at best, and that's with an incredibly easy conference schedule.

Defense was great again but if ND wants a shot at the playoffs they need style points. The defense set up the offense to win by 30 and they couldnt deliver. Going foward need 20+ point wins every week.

At this point, I think we’ve seen Book’s ceiling. He can be exceptionally accurate in the short and mid range passing. He can make pass rushers miss and extend plays. He can make plays with his legs on critical downs. He’s shown the ability to take some chances and make throws
accurately over the middle.
He’s also shown the tendency to vacate the pocket when he senses pressure, and his unwillingness to step up into the pocket and take a hit after release, really hurts this offense. Don’t think folks would be criticizing Chip Long if Book had hit both Chase and Kmet when each was wide open downfield for easy TD’s, instead of vacating the pocket and locking onto a short yardage receiver. Teams will continue to defend the short pass and blitz to bring pressure, and dare Book to stay in the pocket and go long. Book’s instincts and habits aren’t going to change, and our best hope is for a strong running game to open up the field to allow Book to play to his strengths.

TElx I respect your knowledge but I'm not willing to give up on Ian yet. Loved that dime he dropped to Kmet early... He also threw a perfect out to Chase for a first down late in the second quarter, but Chase's ankle buckled and he couldn't get there. C'bo should have caught that screen pass. Without a running game, teams are keying on our short passes, so Chip has to figure something out. Hoping that TJ's and the o-line's 4th quarter will signal that finally our running game is getting there... Anyone else feel as if they are asking Ian to be someone other than Ian? Either way he is out QB this year -- and it is true our offense has been mediocre so far (and that is not only Ian's fault!) Our defense is playing Championship football..

ND better open their damn Irish wallets and pay Clark Lea -- he is one helluva D-coordinator!

TElx I respect your knowledge but I'm not willing to give up on Ian yet. Loved that dime he dropped to Kmet early... He also threw a perfect out to Chase for a first down late in the second quarter, but Chase's ankle buckled and he couldn't get there. C'bo should have caught that screen pass. Without a running game, teams are keying on our short passes, so Chip has to figure something out. Hoping that TJ's and the o-line's 4th quarter will signal that finally our running game is getting there... Anyone else feel as if they are asking Ian to be someone other than Ian? Either way he is out QB this year -- and it is true our offense has been mediocre so far (and that is not only Ian's fault!) Our defense is playing Championship football..

ND better open their damn Irish wallets and pay Clark Lea -- he is one helluva D-coordinator!
The running game made the difference

Reactions: HDK

Hey Stu...not giving up on Ian. Just my opinion that we’ve seen his ceiling, with lots of good along with a few glaring weaknesses. My point being that he’s not going to change or dramatically improve, and that teams know how best to defend him, and that we need a really good running game to compliment his strengths.

Hey Stu...not giving up on Ian. Just my opinion that we’ve seen his ceiling, with lots of good along with a few glaring weaknesses. My point being that he’s not going to change or dramatically improve, and that teams know how best to defend him, and that we need a really good running game to compliment his strengths.

Agreed. Is it just me or does it seem like he's scared to make the throw under pressure? It just seems like if his first read isn't there he's bailing on the play and running.
What say you?

Reactions: chitown sot
This is the most impressive defensive front since the Holtz years. Athletes everywhere on the D-line. Really enjoyable to watch.

The schedule now sets up well. It’s going to be a fun season.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Agreed, obviously next week is an automatic win. USC scares me this year, low expectations, we might be overconfident....they will be coming off of a Bye. USC can score, so our offense will need to be a whole lot better. I still say we got 10-2, not sure which game we will lose (I said loss @Mich preseason) but I don’t see this team running the rest of the schedule.

This is the most impressive defensive front since the Holtz years. Athletes everywhere on the D-line. Really enjoyable to watch.

The schedule now sets up well. It’s going to be a fun season.

They were so close so many times against Fromm and Georgia as well, but Fromm did an incredible job reading and getting rid of the ball. We were .5 seconds away from 10+ QB hits and sacks. With a lesser OLineand QB maki g slower reads, you saw what happened.

That was Avery Davis who dropped the screen pass

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
That's exactly what I told my buddy at church, who by the way is an ND grad.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
I will be completely shocked if this team doesn't run the table. This team has an incredible heart. They want to win. This team wants to get better and they will. One game at a time. This team trust the process.

Reactions: stu4don
Defense was great, offense was average, although it shows what happens when you wear out the other team's defense -- suddenly not so great running backs look like Jim Brown.

I still can't believe we gave up an onside kick at the start of the second half. I'm sorry, but Polian should not be allowed anywhere near a practice field. Make him recruiting coordinator.

Reactions: IrishMike409
The running game made the difference

DEFENSE made the difference. ND did not fully commit to running the ball until.there was under 4 minutes left in the game and 12 personnel came in the game. The score was 28-17 at that time. ND had 21 of the 28 points either set up by the defense or in fact scored by the defense. ND was not controlling the ball or consistently gaining first downs running the ball. That kind of ball only exists at Army, Navy & Air Force

I Formation fan boy STILL doesn’t understand that in 2019 points come out of the passing game. I know it’s tough to turn on a TV set and see 95% of teams slinging the ball all over the field.

ND struggled to score points yesterday because ND struggled to consistently PASS the ball.

This guy must go in his backyard with an old Jerome Bettis jersey and pretend to be a fake FB. Just like you come on here and pretend to be a fake coach. #clowncaranalysis

DEFENSE made the difference. ND did not fully commit to running the ball until.there was under 4 minutes left in the game and 12 personnel came in the game. The score was 28-17 at that time. ND had 21 of the 28 points either set up by the defense or in fact scored by the defense. ND was not controlling the ball or consistently gaining first downs running the ball. That kind of ball only exists at Army, Navy & Air Force

I Formation fan boy STILL doesn’t understand that in 2019 points come out of the passing game. I know it’s tough to turn on a TV set and see 95% of teams slinging the ball all over the field.

ND struggled to score points yesterday because ND struggled to consistently PASS the ball.

This guy must go in his backyard with an old Jerome Bettis jersey and pretend to be a fake FB. Just like you come on here and pretend to be a fake coach. #clowncaranalysis
Wrong wrong wrong

First the Irish must of won because you are nowhere to be found after a loss. Your mom sending you to your because of the tantrums you throw screaming at the TV.

The defense played well, BUT they also played well against Georgia
You know what they didn't against do against Georgia Mr psuedo coach??????
Run the ball.
It was the continuous passing with 3 and outs that was wearing the defense out.
No one but you is talking about I formation and the more you bring it up the more ignorant you come across
I see you forgot Wisconsin,TCU and Iowa to mention a couple more with your blah blah blah about teams who run the ball
Now spread teams who also rush well like OU, OSU, OU ST and now with LSU running a spread offense they are still running the ball, watching those teams are not tough for me to watch or are spread teams in general, but what is tough to watch is ND continue to do the same old thing expecting new results.....and you know who agrees with me?
Bryan Kelly!
He stated to his team who asked him if they were an elite team.
His response:
If you want to be an elite team go out and beat an elite team.
I have much respect for him fir thise comments
Now how in the hell do you expect them to do that with out ball control.
If the irish would of ran the ball earlier against VA it would of been a blow out much sooner.
The more Jones ran the ball the stronger he got.....131 yards on just 18 carries.
You know who else like running plays?
The offensive line.

So i hope to see you on the board each week because that means the irish won....regardless of the nonsense you spout about me....like I've said to you before ....I'm a team player.

Btw i have a Ricky Waters jersey but you can get me a Bettis Jersey for Christmas that would be great

Last edited:
Miami 17 Virginia 9

I think UGA is not as strong as they were thought to be. No offensive explosion or creativity. Okie Ohio stat and bammer would wallop them imo

Reactions: G_a_r_y
What do you guys think of that defensive holding against South Carolina that gave Georgia a first and goal? From what I could see on the replay the SC player barely touched him and the ball was never going to be caught.

What do you guys think of that defensive holding against South Carolina that gave Georgia a first and goal? From what I could see on the replay the SC player barely touched him and the ball was never going to be caught.
Nice Home Cooking on that one!

I think UGA is not as strong as they were thought to be. No offensive explosion or creativity. Okie Ohio stat and bammer would wallop them imo

Correct! they don’t stretch the field, because of a lack of experience or speed at the WR spots. It is their Achilles Heel!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT