ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
I get the “conf only”, possible attempt to stop teams from air travel, shorter hotel stays, control of rules.

I don’t get the B10 not making ND the exception. Few hours drive from most areas, could have actually done something right for a change. “Hey, ACC, you pick up the NE, we pick up the Midwest. We take ND, you take Rutgers and PSU. Will be a hoot for fans to see the exchange. Make everyone get a glimpse of the best from each side joining the others”.

If you started to waiver. If you started to forget history. If you started to think maybe the B10 can get past ND being a Catholic University, this should be the reminder. They have not evolved from Yost.

ND should move on, never schedule a B10 appt again. PAC, B12, SEC and ACC.

I bet the MAC would love to play them this year.

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-...-the-Big-Ten-at-one-point-must-read-36555843/

Pointing out how silly this is. ND could pick up MSU, MIch, IU, Purdue, Wisconsin, NW and a few others. Not once would either team step on a plane or need to stay over. You could adjust games to a 3:30 start.

There is absolutely no reason for Wisc to be cancelled. It’s all BS. I’m sure dragging Rutgers and PSU across the country makes a hell of a lot of since, like Texas A&M to the SE.

There really is no reason for an NCAA. The conf are the lords here. NCAA could ask everyone to do something right this year to keep all teams to a drive. Would not be the worst thing for the US in these times

[QUOTE="There really is no reason for ....“ /QUOTE]

wow! you really don’t get it, huh?

The current Big Ten commissioner is from the NFL. You have been warned he would bend college to an NFL model.

it is kind of ironic that ND, a supposed small Catholic University, and presumed Christian has (if the younger forum fans are a fair sampling) among the least kind or merciful but the most selfish thinking of citizens.
So different from the ND I knew growing up.

Reactions: Walruzz
it is kind of ironic that ND, a supposed small Catholic University, and presumed Christian has (if the younger forum fans are a fair sampling) among the least kind or merciful but the most selfish thinking of citizens.
So different from the ND I knew growing up.
you grew up with Nostradamus?

It’s not about if we should or should not play.

It’s if we do, The reason for Conf Only is total BS. That’s all. They could actually spend a few hours on the phones and solve this for everyone by region and it would be much safer.

Why on Earth would the Big 10 want to help/take in ND even for one year? If any one is going to help ND it’s the ACC.

Reactions: twalsh
I get the “conf only”, possible attempt to stop teams from air travel, shorter hotel stays, control of rules.

I don’t get the B10 not making ND the exception. Few hours drive from most areas, could have actually done something right for a change. “Hey, ACC, you pick up the NE, we pick up the Midwest. We take ND, you take Rutgers and PSU. Will be a hoot for fans to see the exchange. Make everyone get a glimpse of the best from each side joining the others”.

If you started to waiver. If you started to forget history. If you started to think maybe the B10 can get past ND being a Catholic University, this should be the reminder. They have not evolved from Yost.

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-...-the-Big-Ten-at-one-point-must-read-36555843/
Notre Dame does NOT need to play any Big Ten teams, ever. Notre Dame has regional needs which can be met by playing almost team as long as the game is played in a region of need. Notre Dame meets all its midwest regional needs with 5 of 6 games per year in South Bend. Pittsburgh barely east of OH and Louisville even more barely south of IN also provide virtual midwest play for ND.

Because of talent shifts, ND now must play many more games in the southeast than it ever has. ND also must play at lest semi-annually in the northeast and annually against a CA team. Occasional games in TX and other cities with ND fans finish the needs.

Reactions: tbonesays

You came close when you added the part "control of rules"

This is not just about travel but the ability of the conference to set safety guidelines and protocal AND BE ABLE TO ENFORCE IT (well at least try to).

It doesn't matter if ND says they will comply with B10 standards. It even doesn't matter if ND says they will go above and beyond. The B10 has no oversight over what ND does. It really is that simple. It's not about what Yost did a 100+years ago....it's not about Bo saying "to hell with ND" or whatever. It's a legal issue but if you want to go there it is not like ND has been a trusted partner in the more recent past...you do what is best for you and that is fine...but why should the B10 put itself in a compromised position for you?

Dear God....if the B10 made an exception for ND....then Iowa starts asking why can't they play ISU....and so on....you could end up with a 9 conference games +1 one schedule where the B10 has to deal with up to 14 programs they have no oversight on how they deal with protocal. THINK MAN!

On top of that, a part of the discussion (for the B10) is that if (and a big if) the season does move forward and somehow is completed...starting the season on time (e.g. moving the conference games generally up 3 weeks) and going straight through so the B10 can have a 3 week period where they can have makeup games. For example, team A in late September tests on a Monday....passes a threshold of positives and instead of outright cancelling the next week's game they move it to the 3 week November make up zone.

If that happens and ND already has a game scheduled say vs. an ACC team that week do you think you'll be able to move the ACC game? The B10 can do it for itself.

Finally, no matter what happens....even if things don't get shut down...revenue is going to go down significantly. Some of us will weather the storm fine...others not so much. Every out of conference game will mean money going out of conference. There is no argument for it being made up by "big games" because they are not trying to fill seats or aid local economies. If games are played and there are fans in attendance the limited seats will be at a premium anyway. And the TV money is not going to hinge on if ND plays Wisconsin this year.

SO THINK MAN....this is not about ND being Catholic....this is not about the Ghost of Fielding Yost....this is about you not being a member of the B10....period and end of story.

If it was about Covid, AND we play, it would be easy enough for the NCAA to schedule regional games, to your point. We the technology and capability. We can return rocket boosters to a pad at the same time. Pretty sure the NCAA could move the entire schedule back one month, cut to 8 games, add some regional champs and kill the bowls.

But it’s not about that. It’s about revenue for the conference.

it’s not about competition. it’s about revenue for the conference.

It’s not about fan or player or staff safety. It’s about revenue.

The Big Ten isn’t going to do anything to help ND but it’s likely that the ACC will help us out.

Reactions: tbonesays
If it was about Covid, AND we play, it would be easy enough for the NCAA to schedule regional games, to your point. We the technology and capability. We can return rocket boosters to a pad at the same time. Pretty sure the NCAA could move the entire schedule back one month, cut to 8 games, add some regional champs and kill the bowls.

But it’s not about that. It’s about revenue for the conference.

it’s not about competition. it’s about revenue for the conference.

It’s not about fan or player or staff safety. It’s about revenue.
I think “revenue” is an over simplification. It’s about athletic departments being insolvent, and what that means for both student athletes and the many jobs directly associated with athletics. It’s about local economies in places like South Bend, Tuscaloosa, Lubbock and other smallish college towns whose economies are heavily dependent on football weekends for local vendors and businesses. There are very legit reasons to try as hard as you can to have a season, but those reasons all have limitations when measured against the safety risk.

Reactions: echowaker
if there is no season, can you imagine these scholarship football players going to classes as actual students! wow!

Reactions: 88ND
ADVERTISEMENT