ADVERTISEMENT

BIG’s next move for ND with media contract?

kmass

Irish Insider
Dec 1, 2004
While not final, Is this BIG’s next play to corner ND, or just coincidence? Interesting that NBC (in addition to cbs and fox) is part of the agreement.

First USC, now NBC. ND and NBC could keep home games in place, while the other networks can cover ND away games with BiG. (And espn when they play sec). $1B deal, so ND likely gets the guaranteed money they are looking for (that nbc likely wont do alone). I can still hear the cbs intro music from the holtz years and the ‘89 .

Bring in Navy to BIG ten and ND will follow like a lost pup. :)

only negative is that ESPN bias will be even worse towards the SEC now.

i prefer ND remains independent, but believe the writing is on the wall with a P2 league. Money is in control now. While BIG is best fit for common opponents, academics, coast to coast exposure, and now networks (4 divisions, with ND, USC, Ohio St and Michigan in each - make for a nice potential larger playoff setup. ND vs USC, OSU vs M), It would be funny to see ND shock the world and go to SEC. It would be nice to see ND get that SEC bias on imternet, tv and gameday everyday - would help in recruiting, polls, etc.

I don't think the Big 10 is making these plans to corner ND, it's just leading to that. Grabbing the LA market was such a great move by the conference. Also the total media rights deal will probably be closer to 1.5bil as opposed to 1bil. FOX is paying 800mil I believe, CBS is rumored to be paying 355mil as well, and NBC is probably in the same ballpark. For reference on the CBS numbers, the SEC was getting only 55mil a year from CBS, and that was for tier 1 rights I believe.

Personally I don't see how NBC will fork over 75mil a year to broadcast Notre Dame games if they are about to empty the bank for the Big 10. If the money NBC is paying the Big 10 to broadcast tier 2/3 games is similar to what CBS is paying, that equates to around 22mil per school. I don't see Notre Dame being worth 3x that. I would be shocked if the number was higher than 50mil.

And lastly, does this mean Notre Dame won't be hosting anymore night games on NBC? I don't know how often they do it anyways but it looks like that is now over.

While not final, Is this BIG’s next play to corner ND, or just coincidence? Interesting that NBC (in addition to cbs and fox) is part of the agreement.

First USC, now NBC. ND and NBC could keep home games in place, while the other networks can cover ND away games with BiG. (And espn when they play sec). $1B deal, so ND likely gets the guaranteed money they are looking for (that nbc likely wont do alone). I can still hear the cbs intro music from the holtz years and the ‘89 .

i prefer ND remains independent, but believe the writing is on the wall with a P2 league. Money is in control now. While BIG is best fit for common opponents, academics, coast to coast exposure, and now networks (4 divisions, with ND, USC, Ohio St and Michigan in each - make for a nice potential larger playoff setup. ND vs USC, OSU vs M), It would be funny to see ND shock the world and go to SEC. It would be nice to see ND get that SEC bias on imternet, tv and gameday everyday - would help in recruiting, polls, etc.

No

Reactions: NDinNJ
Lol

these posts are entertaining

Some dialog behind your comments would be nice, rather than some feeble and baseless sarcasm!

I was hoping the post would open up some good conversation on what might be happing from both perspectives, and what the risks are in either direction.

swarbrick had 3 factors:
1. Road to playoffs
2. National scheduling
3. Revenue

that all evaporates with a P2, which appears to be well in motion. ND could try to hold on to independence and throw a dagger in the whole plan (a championship as an independent or a solid p3 or more would help). However, if they fail and wait too long, they lose negotiating leverage and may be out altogether. If they are offered a spot after P2 is locked in, then they would have to settle and just accept whatever terms are given

Ive been a long time season ticketholder, currently 4 in first row (family tickets date to early 70’s), so i have seen the good, bad, championships and the value of independence. But to think they will never join conference is an uneducated position with the significant landscape changes happening today. To me all the current movements make it easier for ND to transition. Not to mention, the commissioner is from ND.

Reactions: Kelso86
I don't think the Big 10 is making these plans to corner ND, it's just leading to that. Grabbing the LA market was such a great move by the conference. Also the total media rights deal will probably be closer to 1.5bil as opposed to 1bil. FOX is paying 800mil I believe, CBS is rumored to be paying 355mil as well, and NBC is probably in the same ballpark. For reference on the CBS numbers, the SEC was getting only 55mil a year from CBS, and that was for tier 1 rights I believe.

Personally I don't see how NBC will fork over 75mil a year to broadcast Notre Dame games if they are about to empty the bank for the Big 10. If the money NBC is paying the Big 10 to broadcast tier 2/3 games is similar to what CBS is paying, that equates to around 22mil per school. I don't see Notre Dame being worth 3x that. I would be shocked if the number was higher than 50mil.

And lastly, does this mean Notre Dame won't be hosting anymore night games on NBC? I don't know how often they do it anyways but it looks like that is now over.
The night game comment would be interesting. ND has been averaging 2/year. Although ND wouldnt complain about early games - less alcohol, less liability.
I read another article that said cbs was paying the 300m+ for 13 games. ND has 6-7 home games, so they commented that ND could make a case for 150m based on that contract and why they stay independent.

whats the ‘bucks’ in your handle. Buckeyes, milwaukee bucks?

The night game comment would be interesting. ND has been averaging 2/year. Although ND wouldnt complain about early games - less alcohol, less liability.
I read another article that said cbs was paying the 300m+ for 13 games. ND has 6-7 home games, so they commented that ND could make a case for 150m based on that contract and why they stay independent.

Scarlet Gray Replica Jersey wearing FOSU fan.

Some dialog behind your comments would be nice, rather than some feeble and baseless sarcasm!

I was hoping the post would open up some good conversation on what might be happing from both perspectives, and what the risks are in either direction.

swarbrick had 3 factors:
1. Road to playoffs
2. National scheduling
3. Revenue

that all evaporates with a P2, which appears to be well in motion. ND could try to hold on to independence and throw a dagger in the whole plan (a championship as an independent or a solid p3 or more would help). However, if they fail and wait too long, they lose negotiating leverage and may be out altogether. If they are offered a spot after P2 is locked in, then they would have to settle and just accept whatever terms are given

Ive been a long time season ticketholder, currently 4 in first row (family tickets date to early 70’s), so i have seen the good, bad, championships and the value of independence. But to think they will never join conference is an uneducated position with the significant landscape changes happening today. To me all the current movements make it easier for ND to transition. Not to mention, the commissioner is from ND.
No it doesn't. Try again

Ohio State fan

Post of the month here.

Nothing like rival fans pontificating on what’s best and what will transpire for Notre Dame Football.

Worthless.

Reactions: Kelso86

We are all so thrilled that you are happy with the Big 10/NBC deal. You have been over here before trying to urge ND to join the Big 10. Your predictions are no better than anybody else's. I don't think you will find a whole lot of people here who want ND to join the Big 10.

We are all so thrilled that you are happy with the Big 10/NBC deal. You have been over here before trying to urge ND to join the Big 10. Your predictions are no better than anybody else's. I don't think you will find a whole lot of people here who want ND to join the Big 10.
Probably not, Irish fans embrace their college football independence. And I'm sure if they were to join the Big 10, the fans would embrace the move too. But if you're a fan, why wouldn't you want to join the conference? Assuming they joined with Stanford, Notre Dame would be in a conference with most of their rivalry games. Being able to see the Irish play regular games vs USC, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, hell even Purdue and Wisconsin and Iowa.

LMAO.

Only a vocal minority wants to be in that conference.

Reactions: Golson5
Probably not, Irish fans embrace their college football independence. And I'm sure if they were to join the Big 10, the fans would embrace the move too. But if you're a fan, why wouldn't you want to join the conference? Assuming they joined with Stanford, Notre Dame would be in a conference with most of their rivalry games. Being able to see the Irish play regular games vs USC, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, hell even Purdue and Wisconsin and Iowa.
You are asking the wrong question. The question is not "why wouldn't you want to join the conference?" The proper question is "why would you want to join the conference?"
With the possible exception of TV money, there is nothing about joining a conference that ND does not already have.
ND already plays USC and Stanford every year. We play Michigan and Michigan St. regularly. So that's not much of an enticement ether.
As for playing OSU, I was in attendance at the 1995 game in Columbus and it was the worst experience in my life. I have been all over the country to see ND play and the OSU fans were the worst I have ever encountered. BY FAR. I was literally concerned for my personal safety. It is the one place I vowed I would never return to. I will not be in attendance this year.

You are asking the wrong question. The question is not "why wouldn't you want to join the conference?" The proper question is "why would you want to join the conference?"
With the possible exception of TV money, there is nothing about joining a conference that ND does not already have.
ND already plays USC and Stanford every year. We play Michigan and Michigan St. regularly. So that's not much of an enticement ether.
As for playing OSU, I was in attendance at the 1995 game in Columbus and it was the worst experience in my life. I have been all over the country to see ND play and the OSU fans were the worst I have ever encountered. BY FAR. I was literally concerned for my personal safety. It is the one place I vowed I would never return to. I will not be in attendance this year.
Ohio State is without question the worst fan base I have ever experienced. Rude. Impolite. Low rent.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Why would we want to join the BIG 10?

I watch Iowa when I need a nap.

No.

NBC wants additional football programming to justify a large increase in spending for the ND contract. By adding a game after Notre Dame a normal time slot it allows NBC to do a weekly (even when ND is on the road) internal show and broadcast) to sell advertisements.

Ohio State fan
Cool. See you in a few weeks. Im taking my 3 young ones to the game. Do you know which section(s) the visitors are in this year? The ticket app was very vague and only gave one option to select from. Last year - it looked like visitors had a whole sliver from field to top.

Reactions: NoApologies-
Oh give it a rest, every fanbase has their awful fans. I can't believe you're letting a game and event almost 30 years ago scare you like that.

The two biggest reasons ND might want to join the conference is TV revenue (they won't be getting anywhere close to 75mil) and there's a good chance that the new expanded playoffs that come after 2026 will come with some rules that might not be so favorable to ND and teams not in conferences.

swarbrick had 3 factors:
1. Road to playoffs
2. National scheduling
3. Revenue

Didn’t mean to strike a nerve.

all these opinions have been shared in this forum already, so you are not bringing anything new to the table. And your conclusions have also been discussed.

it’s simple - ND desires to stay independent. They are squarely in negotiations mode currently, and still hold a lot of leverage in spite of what some have projected as fact here when it’s really opinion.

now go get your shine box

Oh give it a rest, every fanbase has their awful fans. I can't believe you're letting a game and event almost 30 years ago scare you like that.

The two biggest reasons ND might want to join the conference is TV revenue (they won't be getting anywhere close to 75mil) and there's a good chance that the new expanded playoffs that come after 2026 will come with some rules that might not be so favorable to ND and teams not in conferences.
Damn. I think I will email Jack Swarbick this opinion.

Sure, every fan base has jerks. But in my experience of travelling to games for more than four decades, only Ohio St. has fans who try to pick fights and start violence. ND fans are not the only fans who say this. Michigan fans have often complained about OSU fans. The Ohio St. president and AD even had to apologize to Texas fans for the treatment they received at Ohio St.

The fact is that we really don't care about your wish that ND join the Big 10. We are perfectly happy where we are.

Didn’t mean to strike a nerve.

all these opinions have been shared in this forum already, so you are not bringing anything new to the table. And your conclusions have also been discussed.

it’s simple - ND desires to stay independent. They are squarely in negotiations mode currently, and still hold a lot of leverage in spite of what some have projected as fact here when it’s really opinion.

now go get your shine box
And opinions will continue to be shared on every topic. No reason to attack anybody that likes to have conversation based on new information (BIG media contract), whether they are ND fans or even if they are opposing fans. I personally like to hear all perspectives, thats how most people become knowledgeable and successful.

Yes - we all know ND wants independence and most ND fans want that for Tradition and Flexibility. However, more and more are open to the option as things shift to make it easier for ND, and where other doors may be closing.

No one knows whats going on behind closed doors here (swarbrick is good and wont show all his cards), and it might be total opposite of what you think. If you like to pontificate on yourself (and the past) and shut everyone else down, so be it. ‘Now go get your shine box’ doesnt sound like a friendly gesture. I wouldnt expect that from an ND fan unless they are very young, inexperienced and immature. Hopefully i misinterpreted your intent. But at least you responded with more context. Go Irish!!!

This is where I disagree. I don't think we play Michigan or MSU often enough, now that we have our ACC arrangement. I consider them two of our oldest and biggest rivals.

This is where I disagree. I don't think we play Michigan or MSU often enough, now that we have our ACC arrangement. I consider them two of our oldest and biggest rivals.

That's fine. You and I are going to have to agree to disagree.

Reactions: Classic Irish
Middle aged alum, wife and sister are alums, and so is one of my kids.

I see plenty of appeal to join expanded Big 10 … prestigious academics and research, better scheduling for most non revenue sports,coast to coast football opportunities, increased revenue. I hope it happens and ND keeps 3 non conference football slots for Navy, a mid-major and a marquee OOC game every year.

The people who cling to independence are the same people who were clinging to natural grass in the stadium and no video screen. Like ND invented grass or something.

I see plenty of appeal to join expanded Big 10 … prestigious academics and research, better scheduling for most non revenue sports,coast to coast football opportunities, increased revenue. I hope it happens and ND keeps 3 non conference football slots for Navy, a mid-major and a marquee OOC game every year.

The people who cling to independence are the same people who were clinging to natural grass in the stadium and no video screen. Like ND invented grass or something.
No they are not

Little bit of a generalization there, don't you think?
I once read that the game of college football is a cornucopia of singular traditions. More than any other sport, the game is full of quirky things from the past, be it game trophies such as the Old Oaken Bucket or stealing the rival team's mascot.
A lot of us don't like the fact that some of these traditions seem to be dying out. Having USC and UCLA in the Big 10 makes no sense. Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC? WTF?
You act like holding on to old traditions is a bad thing. It is not. Traditions are what made the game what it is. ND remaining independent is a tradition that I, for one, would like to keep. Joining the Big 10 would not, in my mind, be an improvement for ND. We would be as out of place in the Big 10 as USC and UCLA will be.

And opinions will continue to be shared on every topic. No reason to attack anybody that likes to have conversation based on new information (BIG media contract), whether they are ND fans or even if they are opposing fans. I personally like to hear all perspectives, thats how most people become knowledgeable and successful.

Yes - we all know ND wants independence and most ND fans want that for Tradition and Flexibility. However, more and more are open to the option as things shift to make it easier for ND, and where other doors may be closing.

No one knows whats going on behind closed doors here (swarbrick is good and wont show all his cards), and it might be total opposite of what you think. If you like to pontificate on yourself (and the past) and shut everyone else down, so be it. ‘Now go get your shine box’ doesnt sound like a friendly gesture. I wouldnt expect that from an ND fan unless they are very young, inexperienced and immature. Hopefully i misinterpreted your intent. But at least you responded with more context. Go Irish!!!
Old topic. Tired of it. So You want Notre Dame Football in a conference. Wonderful. You’re simply part of a vocal minority.

A load of crap.

Traditions and college football go hand in hand. It’s what makes it special. Imagine for safety reasons Clemson ditched their tradition of touching the rock while running down the hill onto the field at the start of every home game. It’s one of those things that makes Clemson unique. I also prefer real grass. I’m not against fake grass. I just prefer the real thing. I also love bands performing at halftime. Lastly, I love traditional games. That to me should never change

Lol, I was busting on you

You forgot to add that the Big10 has or had 5 of its schools involved in large scale sexual assault controversies.

I mean, if you want to demonize those that appreciate tradition, and prefer the commitment to students in the student athletes, and actually stress community and interaction, by how they manage living arrangements and scheduling and accountability and spirituality ….and then sell the “new football”….then make sure to characterize those other things that come along with bigger revenue, and prestigious (hic) academics and research…

Sure, every fan base has jerks. But in my experience of travelling to games for more than four decades, only Ohio St. has fans who try to pick fights and start violence. ND fans are not the only fans who say this. Michigan fans have often complained about OSU fans. The Ohio St. president and AD even had to apologize to Texas fans for the treatment they received at Ohio St.

The fact is that we really don't care about your wish that ND join the Big 10. We are perfectly happy where we are.
Michigan fans said something bad about Ohio State fans???? I don't believe it.

And I've heard Michigan fans say awful, awful things about Notre Dame fans.

Thanks for being level headed and giving a mature response about it, I agree with what everything you said except for the 3 out of conference games, I think that will be 2. If ND and Stanford were to join, there would be 18 teams in the conference. At that point I can't see anything less than 10 conference games.

ADVERTISEMENT