ADVERTISEMENT

Beat Navy and Stanford & 10-2 is a Great Season

IrishBlessings

ND Expert
Jun 25, 2013
IF ND can beat Navy and Stanford then the 10-2 finish would be a GREAT SEASON. College Football is very evenly balanced amongst the top 20 teams.

AlaBama came very close to losing last night. The Canes have had more than a few games this season they could of easily lost.

Ga. got rolled last night.

Ohio St w/ a supposedly loaded roster by Urban Meyer this year has been rolled twice.

College Football takes talent and some good fortune. As great as Bama is - they are beatable.

Every team in College Football is beatable.

ND has had a great season - they have crushed some very good teams who have very good records.

Yesterday, they ran into a Buzz saw w/ a rookie QB on the road. I thought our Line would open holes and we'd be able to run the ball. Once Maimi shut down the run game - BW couldn't rise to the occasion. And our D had a hard time stopping them.

All the hype and w/ Miami being at home and listed as the underdog only made it worse for ND as Coach Richt had his teams full attention. Miami played its best game of the year last week vs. a pretty good Va. Tech team. That worried me some going into this game.

Going forward - If ND wins vs Navy and Stanford - it will of been a great season. Stanford has inserted a new QB who is much better than Chryst. He is more mobile and can run just enough. But he is also a better passer than Chryst. Stanford still has a very sound / good D. Not as good as Miami's - but pretty good. Can't believe Shaw stuck so long w/ Chryst at QB. But this new Red Shirt Freshmen is pretty good which now makes Stanford dangerous again.

Beating Stanford on the road and beating a well coached David Shaw team where I think BK is now 2-4 vs in his last 6 games would be a great win and way to close out a great regular season by ND.

10-2 would catapult ND into a Great Jan 1 bowl game. And the next step in BK's re emergence as a coach would be to finally win a meaningful Jan. 1 bowl game vs a great opponent.

A Jan 1 Bowl win would be the first meaningful bowl in a lot of years for ND.

A ND finish of 11-2 would guarantee a top 7 finish. 11-2 would be a GREAT SEASON.

Well, at week 10 ND fans entered the game with very very real playoff visions. Regardless of the outcome of the game, did you ever dream that following 4-8 that at week 10 ND would have entered the game #3 in the playoff derby?

How can you be disappointed at this juncture?

Agree 100 Percent. Ranked 3 heading into week 10 ? After last seasons debacle. It has been a very good season to date.

Well, at week 10 ND fans entered the game with very very real playoff visions. Regardless of the outcome of the game, did you ever dream that following 4-8 that at week 10 ND would have entered the game #3 in the playoff derby?

Because BK is always the one preaching about finishing. If Irish fans were completely honest with themselves, many would admit that there was a little hint of trepidation leading to the Miami game.

ND cannot drop out of the Top 10. That gets a NYD bowl.
Why?
USC won and are at 11. ND will not drop below USC unless ND losses another game. USC is the floor.

Reactions: Pennick44
IF ND can beat Navy and Stanford then the 10-2 finish would be a GREAT SEASON. College Football is very evenly balanced amongst the top 20 teams.

AlaBama came very close to losing last night. The Canes have had more than a few games this season they could of easily lost.

Ga. got rolled last night.

Ohio St w/ a supposedly loaded roster by Urban Meyer this year has been rolled twice.

College Football takes talent and some good fortune. As great as Bama is - they are beatable.

Every team in College Football is beatable.

ND has had a great season - they have crushed some very good teams who have very good records.

Yesterday, they ran into a Buzz saw w/ a rookie QB on the road. I thought our Line would open holes and we'd be able to run the ball. Once Maimi shut down the run game - BW couldn't rise to the occasion. And our D had a hard time stopping them.

All the hype and w/ Miami being at home and listed as the underdog only made it worse for ND as Coach Richt had his teams full attention. Miami played its best game of the year last week vs. a pretty good Va. Tech team. That worried me some going into this game.

Going forward - If ND wins vs Navy and Stanford - it will of been a great season. Stanford has inserted a new QB who is much better than Chryst. He is more mobile and can run just enough. But he is also a better passer than Chryst. Stanford still has a very sound / good D. Not as good as Miami's - but pretty good. Can't believe Shaw stuck so long w/ Chryst at QB. But this new Red Shirt Freshmen is pretty good which now makes Stanford dangerous again.

Beating Stanford on the road and beating a well coached David Shaw team where I think BK is now 2-4 vs in his last 6 games would be a great win and way to close out a great regular season by ND.

10-2 would catapult ND into a Great Jan 1 bowl game. And the next step in BK's re emergence as a coach would be to finally win a meaningful Jan. 1 bowl game vs a great opponent.

A Jan 1 Bowl win would be the first meaningful bowl in a lot of years for ND.

A ND finish of 11-2 would guarantee a top 7 finish. 11-2 would be a GREAT SEASON.

10-2 is a great season? No! A great season is winning a championship. 10-2 is a good season. However, after 8 seasons at ND, good just ain't good enough.

Beat Navy and lose to Stanford, and ND will still have beaten the projection for this season.

I hate being negative however this seems so familiar. I see us beating navy not Stanford. I hope I am wrong.

Reactions: rgc7
Wow! Happy with being simply good. If you are happy with being simply good then why in the world pay a coach so much money? Kelly is making championship money. So as a fan base, we should expect a championship and nothing less.

Because BK is always the one preaching about finishing. If Irish fans were completely honest with themselves, many would admit that there was a little hint of trepidation leading to the Miami game.

UGA didn't expect what happened to them. USC didn't expect what happened to them. PSU didn't expect....and so on. BW had the shell-shocked look in his eyes which was very surprising at this point. All the way around, we laid an egg - the offensive play calling, Adams not seeming to be able to power forward, missed tackles, etc., etc.

It happened - but I agree with the other posters and have said so all season. We have outperformed all expectations. I don't think anyone really knew what we would have with Miami. Based on their season, it could have gone either way but they pulled it all together at the right time.

I believe we rebound and win the next two games. Beat Navy and Stanford - Go Irish!!

The only way to salvage the season is win out, including major bowl win, or at least no major bowl blowout.

Losing like last night is par for the course with Kelly. Unfortunately, he usually has 2-3 per year. If it's kept to just last night with wins the rest of the way, then the program will seem headed in the right direction.

We could win both remaining games, but for me the “ Bloom is off the rose “.
My season went down the tubes last night.
As an Old Marine, who always rooted for ND, I go into the Navy game with mixed feelings about
Rooting for either team. Navy will be out manned, and we should beat them, but Navy will play with heart,
So I’ll just watch and try to enjoy this game, one way or the other.
Stanford, again who knows, the better team will win ?
In any case, a bowl game is nice, but it will not be the one we thought that we would be worthy of before
Yesterday !

We could win both remaining games, but for me the “ Bloom is off the rose “.
My season went down the tubes last night.
As an Old Marine, who always rooted for ND, I go into the Navy game with mixed feelings about
Rooting for either team. Navy will be out manned, and we should beat them, but Navy will play with heart,
So I’ll just watch and try to enjoy this game, one way or the other.
Stanford, again who knows, the better team will win ?
In any case, a bowl game is nice, but it will not be the one we thought that we would be worthy of before
Yesterday !

I think the majority of Irish fans simply had their hopes and expectations elevated to an unfair level this year due to our success. We have been overachieving, in my opinion, and I admit to falling into some of this as well. Going into the Miami game, I thought the point spread was pretty accurate - thought we would see a 3-pt game or close to it. But I maintain my position that next year was really the year for high expectations. BW has scared me, no question - he had been progressing each week and was making me believe next year he'd be ready to showcase his overall game. Hopefully we see him rebound and still be "that guy."

Reactions: rgc7 and Pennick44
Win out is not assured based on how we played last night. Buy I agree, win the next two, get an invite to a major bowl, and end the year 11-2, and that would be a great season especially following the dysfunctional 4-8 year. We’ll either come out pissed and ready to kick ass against Navy, or flat and licking our wounds. I think these coaches and these players will come out looking for redemption.

I love how you apologists put the Hillary Clinton love gloves on spin and twist everything until you find just the right angle to make last nights performance acceptable.

O' great lovers of mediocre performance...

The record is irrelevant because the performance in that setting last night superseded it. You want to point to the turn around from a year ago...OK...but this is the guy responsible for the shit season in the first place.

I think it's hilarious you guys are so accepting of mediocre and average performance.

Everything was set up last night to show the world that a Brian Kelly team can compete in those elite settings.

Same old sane old.

Literally...the same pissing the pants performance.

Reactions: geza67 and rgc7
I love how you apologists put the Hillary Clinton love gloves on spin and twist everything until you find just the right angle to make last nights performance acceptable.

The record is irrelevant because the performance in that setting last night superseded it. You want to point to the turn around from a year ago...OK...but this is the guy responsible for the shit season in the first place.

I think it's hilarious you guys are so accepting of mediocre and average performance.

Everything was set up last night to show the world that a Brian Kelly team can compete in those elite settings.

Same old sane old.

Another pathetic post. At least you are consistent!

Please quit making excuses. This team was two weeks away from making playoffs now all of a sudden its, what a turn around, we only won 4 games last year, give me a fricking break. ND got smoked last night because they were not prepared, they sucked, no good coaching staff gets embarrassed the way ND got expsoseed last night, it was piss poor coaching period

You are the tool that picked a blowout win by ND.
Keep with the name calling guys. Why can we not have a football discussion without calling fellow ND fans names? Everything I am posting is football related. I don't call posters names I strictly give my football opinion. Can we just stick to football? Instead of calling me a tool, why not respond with a football argument or just don't respond?

Reactions: NIN Irish
Another pathetic post. At least you are consistent!
Pennick you are a coward. Actually more like a weasel. You contribute nothing to the board but sit back and snipe little quips like you have a clue of what's going on.

Your football knowledge is piss poor and your acceptance of average performace even moreso.

The moment you defended BVG to the grave was the moment I was done trying to help your dumb ass.

Kelly is an average at best coach. Any other thinking is complete delusion.

Same old sane old.

The “Hilliary Clinton love gloves” ... really? This is the type of bullshit comment that clearly doesn’t belong on a ND football board.

A win in a New Year's day bowl would be major redemption for BK at this point. Hard to see that happening though.

Par for the course would be drawing anOSU or SEC#2, followed of course by the Irish coming out flat.

Reactions: 88ND
Please quit making excuses. This team was two weeks away from making playoffs now all of a sudden its, what a turn around, we only won 4 games last year, give me a fricking break. ND got smoked last night because they were not prepared, they sucked, no good coaching staff gets embarrassed the way ND got expsoseed last night, it was piss poor coaching period
Pennick you are a coward. Actually more like a weasel. You contribute nothing to the board but sit back and snipe little quips like you have a clue of what's going on.

Your football knowledge is piss poor and your acceptance of average performace even moreso.

The moment you defended BVG to the grave was the moment I was done trying to help your dumb ass.

Kelly is an average at best coach. Any other thinking is complete delusion.
The board nitwit is back.

Keep with the name calling guys. Why can we not have a football discussion without calling fellow ND fans names? Everything I am posting is football related. I don't call posters names I strictly give my football opinion. Can we just stick to football? Instead of calling me a tool, why not respond with a football argument or just don't respond?
We're not you the fool that predicted a blowout :p?

Same old sane old.

88, read this article. It obviously won’t change your opinion, and you’re not changing mine or others. Like everything in life, we are entitled to our opinions and will have to “agree to disagree.” Try to chill - I’m sure you have more important things in life to worry about like your family, health, job, etc., then to get overly worked up over a college football team. But I do understand and relate to passion, and in the end we are all (mostly) Irish fans here. I respect that passion.

https://saturdayblitz.com/2017/11/12/notre-dame-football-5-overreactions-from-loss-to-miami/

Reactions: Pennick44
88, read this article. It obviously won’t change your opinion, and you’re not changing mine or others. Like everything in life, we are entitled to our opinions and will have to “agree to disagree.” Try to chill - I’m sure you have more important things in life to worry about like your family, health, job, etc., then to get overly worked up over a college football team. But I do understand and relate to passion, and in the end we are all (mostly) Irish fans here. I respect that passion.

https://saturdayblitz.com/2017/11/12/notre-dame-football-5-overreactions-from-loss-to-miami/

So someone that offers up more than a lashing sarcastic remark so sure let's discuss.
First of all I respect anyones opinion. It gets heated when someone just chimes in idiot
or moron and then look even more idiotic by offering up absolutely zero substance to even debate.

It would be like me responding to your thought out post here with idiot, it tool, etc.

I read the article. However I believe if you want an article to fit a particular narrative you can find it.
That article loses credibility immediately starting with the statement the fire Kelly crowd never really liked him anyways. That is just not true. I believe more fans than not wanted BK to succeed. I can speak for myself on the matter and I absolutely want him to do everything he can to succeed from day one.

The other parts of the article are all areas that fall on BK lap. BW, JA and their performance...ok. last I checked the playing decisions are the head coach, right? He wanted to point out BW didn't have much help. OK...why didn't he have much help. ?

The author says many things were why we lost but not one of them mentioned were something that was completely out of the hands of the coaching staff.
Truth be told every single one were a direct responsibility of the staff. From personnel decisions to just the raw energy and emotion.

Let me ask you a genuine serious question.

I've clearly stated what I want from Kelly and what it would take for me to want to keep him....in case you don't know...i want our team to go on the road in a hostile high stakes environment and win the damn game.
Records, titles, etc will take care of themselves but make no mistake at some point if the program wants a title under BK they will have to actually win a game like the above. Either a game like last night or a huge neutral site playoff game.

My question to you is this...

At what point are you willing to say enough is enough? What's your threshold and expectations. We both have eight years and counting of reference so I'm just curious your expectations and your threshold of dismissal?

Win out is not assured based on how we played last night. Buy I agree, win the next two, get an invite to a major bowl, and end the year 11-2, and that would be a great season especially following the dysfunctional 4-8 year. We’ll either come out pissed and ready to kick ass against Navy, or flat and licking our wounds. I think these coaches and these players will come out looking for redemption.
Tex, I've been all over this board saying that Navy has zeroed in on the Irish, especially after last night. The stadium excitement will not be there. It will be very cold and cloudy. Fans may or may not be around by the 4th Quarter. The mental state of the players may be fragile after an embarrassing loss. I'm not predicting anything, but I am saying that fans better watch out.

A win in a New Year's day bowl would be major redemption for BK at this point. Hard to see that happening though.

It’ll likely involve beating Ohio State, a team that’s had ND’s number the last two times we’ve played them in NYD bowl games.

ADVERTISEMENT