ADVERTISEMENT

Bama players flocking to the portal

NCDomer1

I've posted how many times?
Sep 23, 2005
The coaches are saying players are being poached by other schools with NIL deals. This is getting out of hand with no end in sight at what point in time does the NCAA step in and do something about it.
There ysed to be atime where schools wete not allowed to talk to players without permission from the school.
ND does have an advantage by preaching the 4 for 40 education side , but it is going ti come down to who has the deepest pockets

The coaches are saying players are being poached by other schools with NIL deals. This is getting out of hand with no end in sight at what point in time does the NCAA step in and do something about it.
There ysed to be atime where schools wete not allowed to talk to players without permission from the school.
ND does have an advantage by preaching the 4 for 40 education side , but it is going ti come down to who has the deepest pockets
Pretty much!

Paying players has gone on for decades in the SEC and other places. It's just done differently now.

NWO is behind it

That whole SEC has been playing fast & loose for years. I’m not shedding any tears for Alabama. I do understand your point. Look @ ncaa bb. MLB at least has a legit minor league system. NFL should do the same. Let’s end the charade of student / athlete

Wild West. Enjoy the chaos bc when the regulations come, they’ll come hard.

When you recruit solely based on talent and in no way based on character, you get what you deserve. Poach away.

Reactions: eshupe
A few years back, Alabama was famous for over recruiting, where they'd grayshirt players and cut guys who didn't make the grade and whatever. So maybe the outflow is just a little delayed justice.

Last edited:
Do universities have to honor the 4 year scholarship? Can’t imagine they should/would given the current climate? Obviously ND will handle things differently have “conversations” but if there is no binding commitment from the player, I also think schools should be able to pull the plug on under performing players.

Do universities have to honor the 4 year scholarship? Can’t imagine they should/would given the current climate? Obviously ND will handle things differently have “conversations” but if there is no binding commitment from the player, I also think schools should be able to pull the plug on under performing players.
They've never had to honor it. That's what processing's all about. Did you not understand that?

But if it turns you on, and I figure it will, coaches might very well feel empowered to process players at will, now that they can transfer at will, and treat it as if fair's fair.

They've never had to honor it. That's what processing's all about. Did you not understand that?

But if it turns you on, and I figure it will, coaches might very well feel empowered to process players at will, now that they can transfer at will, and treat it as if fair's fair.
Seems like 99% of schools don’t actively practice this, at least at scale and only one legit use case for this with Bama grey shirts..wonder if an uptick will happen..may be one way to force regulation when the student athlete is being negatively impacted. With all the attention on the Top 1%, what will the NCAA do when large numbers of the bottom kids are cut/scholly pulled without a home?

Mind boggling how the NCAA found themselves in this mess.

Seems like 99% of schools don’t actively practice this, at least at scale and only one legit use case for this with Bama grey shirts..wonder if an uptick will happen..may be one way to force regulation when the student athlete is being negatively impacted. With all the attention on the Top 1%, what will the NCAA do when large numbers of the bottom kids are cut/scholly pulled without a home?

Mind boggling how the NCAA found themselves in this mess.
Right, because it would be bad business to do so. But they can whenever they feel like it. They are and always have been to my knowledge one-year, renewable scholarships at the school's discretion...

With collective bargaining, players reps' might very well insist on various scholarship protections as a core, non-negotiable demand. So coaches better get to cutting the dead weight while they still can....

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the NCAA, in its infinite wisdom, required that all scholarships be renewable, one-year deals.

Depends on the school. SC only give four-year rides to football players. The NCAA now allows players to keep their ride is removed totally from the team. Most choose to leave when they are told they won't be on the team.

Reactions: d1042
You can either sit in the corner and cry or learn how to adapt and get on with it.

If this turned into a money war, I like NDs position in that scenario.

When looking at Stanford situation (coach stepping down) they have quite a good number of players entering the transfer portal. I would imagine (guessing) that many finish their four years in three. Similar to ND. That might be a school where ND could actually get a transfer where undergrad transcript would be accepted.

Depends on the school. SC only give four-year rides to football players. The NCAA now allows players to keep their ride is removed totally from the team. Most choose to leave when they are told they won't be on the team.
What are you saying? That USC has a special arrangement where they contractually bind themselves to a full four-years of scholarship for whoever signs a LOI, or otherwise joins the team and gets put on scholarship, and they get to keep it all four years as long as they stay in good standing, or meet some level of stipulated requirement? I've never heard of such a thing.

I don't know the legality or lack of thereof of the fact that football/sports scholarships are granted on a yearly basis, and that the school thus has the prerogative to simply pull a player's scholarship at any time. Or at least not renew it. They're presumably entitled to do that, and it's simply the players' tough luck. They're not in any way required to give scholarships or even grant enrollment to any athlete or student that I'm aware of. So it would be perfectly natural for rides to be doled out on annual basis at the school's discretion. How else would it work?

But with collective bargaining, the players will be able to negotiate better terms....

What are you saying? That USC has a special arrangement where they contractually bind themselves to a full four-years of scholarship for whoever signs a LOI, or otherwise joins the team and gets put on scholarship, and they get to keep it all four years as long as they stay in good standing, or meet some level of stipulated requirement? I've never heard of such a thing.

I don't know the legality or lack of thereof of the fact that football/sports scholarships are granted on a yearly basis, and that the school thus has the prerogative to simply pull a player's scholarship at any time. Or at least not renew it. They're presumably entitled to do that, and it's simply the players' tough luck. They're not in any way required to give scholarships or even grant enrollment to any athlete or student that I'm aware of. So it would be perfectly natural for rides to be doled out on annual basis at the school's discretion. How else would it work?

But with collective bargaining, the players will be able to negotiate better terms....
Yes that is what I am saying. There is nothing special about it, many school do it. Why in the world woud that be unlawful?

Multiyear scholarships were outlawed in 1973. And even though the ban was lifted by an NCAA vote in 2012, the new rules don’t require multiyear deals, they just allow them. Though some schools now offer four-year scholarships, most offer deals that must be renewed yearly. You probably haevn’t heard of it because it is somewhat new and not everyone does it. Here is some more information:

Last edited:
Reactions: bizzybecknd
College Football is like a redraft Fantasy Football League. Just will have to adapt to it. Maybe more like a limited keeper league though now that I think of it.

Yes that is what I am saying. There is nothing special about it, many school do it. Why in the world woud that be unlawful?

Multiyear scholarships were outlawed in 1973. And even though the ban was lifted by an NCAA vote in 2012, the new rules don’t require multiyear deals, they just allow them. Though some schools now offer four-year scholarships, most offer deals that must be renewed yearly. You probably haevn’t heard of it because it is somewhat new and not everyone does it. Here is some more information:

It was always my understanding that Notre Dame also gave four-year scholarships.

I know for certain if you got hurt, you kept your scholarship because there was a guy in my freshman English class who blew his knee out in September of that year. He knew he was never going to play again, but said he had been assured he would continue to receive his scholarship.

Years after college, I worked with a guy who attended Oklahoma. He tore his hamstring and never made it back to playing condition. First they booted him out of the athletic dorm when his recovery lagged, and then they ended his scholarship when it became apparent he could no longer play.

Reactions: BGI User 756
12 from Bama now in the portal and they‘re expecting more to join. Down to 7 OL —- total

12 from Bama now in the portal and they‘re expecting more to join. Down to 7 OL —- total
How many were getting actual PT? Prob nothing more than guys trying to see the field at the most competitive roster in the country, NIL maybe responsible for 1-2?

It was always my understanding that Notre Dame also gave four-year scholarships.

I know for certain if you got hurt, you kept your scholarship because there was a guy in my freshman English class who blew his knee out in September of that year. He knew he was never going to play again, but said he had been assured he would continue to receive his scholarship.

Years after college, I worked with a guy who attended Oklahoma. He tore his hamstring and never made it back to playing condition. First they booted him out of the athletic dorm when his recovery lagged, and then they ended his scholarship when it became apparent he could no longer play.
I thought they give four-year rides too, but I really didn't know.

How many were getting actual PT? Prob nothing more than guys trying to see the field at the most competitive roster in the country, NIL maybe responsible for 1-2?
Cohen was a starter on OL , knight played and probably a starter next year on OL. Earle, Holden, wr that played, Jackson an occasional starter at db and a likely starter in 23. Brockmyer has been a bust so far , Leary a wr who hasn’t played much. Can’t recall who the others are. But a mixed bag, definitely losing some depth, some bench guys and yes some going for better nil deals

I know the Big Ten guarantees a recruit a 4-year scholarship once he signs on the dotted line if he wants to ride it out. I'm not sure about the SEC - don't think they do.......Could be wrong.

Most schools have long not honored a 4-year scholarship. Notre Dame was one of the few, if not only one still doing so.

Most schools have long not honored a 4-year scholarship. Notre Dame was one of the few, if not only one still doing so.
Well, it was against NCAA rules to give multi-year rides until 2012. ND is one of many who do so, SC, for example does as well.

Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT