ADVERTISEMENT

Autry Denson and Tony Jones Jr.

Bodizephax

I've posted how many times?
Feb 24, 2012
Rikers Island (Lifer)
www.gstatic.com
Autrey is doing a GREAT job as running back coach. The backs never fumble and we have been getting record results since he became coach. Way better than Tony Alford who was great at recruiting but didn't seem to connect well with his backs,
Anyway, I was watching Tony Jones Jr. run Saturday and he reminded me alot of Autry Denson when he carried the pigskin at ND.
Can't wait until Dexter gets back !!
Go Irish !! 400+ yards rushing against Wake!! Wake up the echoes!!

Reactions: Pennick4 and Ara64
We saw last week the Tony Jones Jr before the knee injury his senior year in high school. I am happy for him because he planted that foot and exploded down field. Coach D was right when he said last spring and summer; that Tony had found that next gear.Coach Denson can coach and develop players.

Last edited:
This is hilarious. Tony Alford is producing absolute stud backs at Ohio State. Zeke Elliot, Mike Weber and J.K. Dobbins are better than any back Denson has produced.

You can't separate recruiting and coaching. They are tied together and an elite coach (especially a position coach) can do both.

This is hilarious. Tony Alford is producing absolute stud backs at Ohio State. Zeke Elliot, Mike Weber and J.K. Dobbins are better than any back Denson has produced.

You can't separate recruiting and coaching. They are tied together and an elite coach (especially a position coach) can do both.
Really? Giving Alford credit for Zeke is hilarious. Zeke signed in 2013, Tony was hired in 2015 and had one season with him. Zeke actually had less total rushing yards and YPC was lower under the tutelage of Alford. His soph season was better under the previous RB coach, numbers declined his jr year.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Really? Giving Alford credit for Zeke is hilarious. Zeke signed in 2013, Tony was hired in 2015 and had one season with him. Zeke actually had less total rushing yards and YPC was lower under the tutelage of Alford. His soph season was better under the previous RB coach, numbers declined his jr year.

Really? Elliott's yards as a Soph was 1878 and as a junior was 1821.
But he had more touchdowns his junior year. I would call both very successful and no drop off.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
Alford is a far superior RB coach than Denson. There’s no way around it.

Then why didn't he show it while at ND? The only RB he coached that reached or exceeded his potential was Theo. Yes, Alford is a far superior recruiter but he did not coach the RBs better than Denson and overall recruiting has not declined since Alford left. RB recruiting has declined, and that's on Denson, but overall recruiting hasn't declined. We need Denson to start doing better on the recruiting end of things, but right now he is coaching the RBs better than Alford did.

How did TA do with Greg Bryant? Denson wins coaching easily

Reactions: Bodizephax
How did TA do with Greg Bryant? Denson wins coaching easily

Greg got kicked out of school and, sadly, put himself in a position to be shot... What does that have to with Tony?

How has Autry done with keeping Dexter Williams out of trouble and on the field? How did Autry do keeping Deon McIntosh out of trouble? That kid is leading JUCO football with 7 TD's in about 3 halves of football this year and will end up in the SEC or ACC next year.

Do I think it's Denson's fault those kids screwed up? Nope. Do I think Tony's fault? Nope. Individuals are responsible for their own actions.

All you care about is recruiting. Stick with what you are good at.

Reactions: Pennick4
Autrey is doing a GREAT job as running back coach. The backs never fumble and we have been getting record results since he became coach. Way better than Tony Alford who was great at recruiting but didn't seem to connect well with his backs,
Anyway, I was watching Tony Jones Jr. run Saturday and he reminded me alot of Autry Denson when he carried the pigskin at ND.
Can't wait until Dexter gets back !!
Go Irish !! 400+ yards rushing against Wake!! Wake up the echoes!!
Ya... I'm sure coach Meyer has NO eye for coaching and recruiting. Ugh!

Reactions: BGI User 1596

if you were familiar at all about tony alford and ohio st you'd know he does very little if any coaching. he's there to recruit, period. much like his time at nd. elite recruiter, below average position coach, hence his limited duties.

Greg got kicked out of school and, sadly, put himself in a position to be shot... What does that have to with Tony?

How has Autry done with keeping Dexter Williams out of trouble and on the field? How did Autry do keeping Deon McIntosh out of trouble? That kid is leading JUCO football with 7 TD's in about 3 halves of football this year and will end up in the SEC or ACC next year.

Do I think it's Denson's fault those kids screwed up? Nope. Do I think Tony's fault? Nope. Individuals are responsible for their own actions.
TA could not even get the right personnel on the field. Great guy I am sure but not in the class of Denson as a coach.

if you were familiar at all about tony alford and ohio st you'd know he does very little if any coaching. he's there to recruit, period. much like his time at nd. elite recruiter, below average position coach, hence his limited duties.

That's the case all over college football, at almost every level. Running back is an instinctual position. Outside of teaching pass blocking schemes, some nuances to receiving routes and teaching run tracks, running back coaches across America primarily are responsible for reinforcing things that their elite athletes already know (such as ball security). You can improve as a running back, but coaching isn't getting you there. You either have the skill set to be successful, coupled with the vision to find daylight, or you don't.

Because, as you know, the above is true, running back coaches across America are some of their staffs finest recruiters. They only have 4 or 5 guys to worry about and they have the excess time to be outstanding recruiters.

Neither Autry Denson nor Tony Alford are elite coaches. If they were, they'd be offensive coordinators, running their own show... What separates Tony from Autry is that Tony is an elite recruiter, which is what makes him so valuable. So whether it's because he coaches kids with the god given talent of a Mike Weber and a J.K. Dobbins, or simply recruited them to come to Ohio State and be elite, the credit is still his.

The fact is that Weber, Dobbins, Adams and Williams (who will be ND's best back this year when he returns from suspension) are all Tony Alford recruits. He picked them out, recruited them and he landed them.

Autry Denson's best back recruited to this point is who? Tony Jones? An average, tweener back, who lacks game breaking speed... It might actually be Jafar Armstrong, who he didn't even recruit. Del Alexander did.

You can have it either way... You can credit running back coaches but if you're going to do that then Alford gets credit for Zeke Elliot, Dobbins, Weber, etc, etc... Or you can say "running back coaches don't matter that much, because the position is more about god given ability than coaching" and I'll buy that too. That's been my experience around elite running backs... But then in that case your comparing Alford to Denson as recruiters (relative to their value) and if you want to do that, Alford is so far ahead in that department that he can't even see Denson when he looks back for him.

How did denson do with uh... let’s see

CJ Holmes
Deon McIntosh
Dexter Williams
CJ Holmes is at Ped State. Not sure where McIntosh went. Dexter is still playing Football for ND if he can stop smoking weed.
How is Brohm doing? Are they still playing all out for him?

That's the case all over college football, at almost every level. Running back is an instinctual position. Outside of teaching pass blocking schemes, some nuances to receiving routes and teaching run tracks, running back coaches across America primarily are responsible for reinforcing things that their elite athletes already know (such as ball security). You can improve as a running back, but coaching isn't getting you there. You either have the skill set to be successful, coupled with the vision to find daylight, or you don't.

Because, as you know, the above is true, running back coaches across America are some of their staffs finest recruiters. They only have 4 or 5 guys to worry about and they have the excess time to be outstanding recruiters.

Neither Autry Denson nor Tony Alford are elite coaches. If they were, they'd be offensive coordinators, running their own show... What separates Tony from Autry is that Tony is an elite recruiter, which is what makes him so valuable. So whether it's because he coaches kids with the god given talent of a Mike Weber and a J.K. Dobbins, or simply recruited them to come to Ohio State and be elite, the credit is still his.

The fact is that Weber, Dobbins, Adams and Williams (who will be ND's best back this year when he returns from suspension) are all Tony Alford recruits. He picked them out, recruited them and he landed them.

Autry Denson's best back recruited to this point is who? Tony Jones? An average, tweener back, who lacks game breaking speed... It might actually be Jafar Armstrong, who he didn't even recruit. Del Alexander did.

You can have it either way... You can credit running back coaches but if you're going to do that then Alford gets credit for Zeke Elliot, Dobbins, Weber, etc, etc... Or you can say "running back coaches don't matter that much, because the position is more about god given ability than coaching" and I'll buy that too. That's been my experience around elite running backs... But then in that case your comparing Alford to Denson as recruiters (relative to their value) and if you want to do that, Alford is so far ahead in that department that he can't even see Denson when he looks back for him.
Running backs can improve via coaching as much as any other position. ND upgraded at the position.

Really? Elliott's yards as a Soph was 1878 and as a junior was 1821.
But he had more touchdowns his junior year. I would call both very successful and no drop off.
Do we know the length of those TD's? Were they Legarrette Blountesque 1-yarders? It wasnt just 60 less yards, he carried the ball more and still couldnt account for that yardage... Fact remains, he had very little to do with Zeke's success.

I do agree Alford is a better coach but giving him credit for Zeke is like giving Obama credit for Trumps' economy.. Thought I'd throw a little more gas on the fire here.

This clown Bodi wouldnt know a Running Back coach from a Running Faucet. This guy truly put the delusion in delusional fan boy and put the jock in jock sniffer. #toolboy

Running backs can improve via coaching as much as any other position. ND upgraded at the position.

Ohio State says "Wrong" in their best POTUS voice. Elliot, Dobbins, Weber and soon to be Gill and Snead prove 100% the opposite is true.

Notre Dame won't have a running back under Denson that would touch those guys.

Ohio State says "Wrong" in their best POTUS voice. Elliot, Dobbins, Weber and soon to be Gill and Snead prove 100% the opposite is true.

Notre Dame won't have a running back under Denson that would touch those guys.
We get it you knew Alford and he took your phone calls. Denson is a better coach. Ohio State has zero academic requirements.

We get it you knew Alford and he took your phone calls. Denson is a better coach. Ohio State has zero academic requirements.

Nobody is arguing about academic requirements. The conversation is about the value to respective teams as coach / recruiters. I think every shred of evidence points to Alford. You can handicap it fit your argument all you want. The dude is an elite recruiter (he was by far ND's best recruiter) and his kids play awesome at the next level.

He has no problems with discipline at OSU because they don't enforce rules.

Reactions: Pennick4

He has no problems with discipline at OSU because they don't enforce rules.

Dude u sad how did Greg out himself in position to get shot young man was minding his business.

CJ Holmes is at Ped State. Not sure where McIntosh went. Dexter is still playing Football for ND if he can stop smoking weed.
How is Brohm doing? Are they still playing all out for him?
He’s doing pretty good.

It's absolutely ridiculous to me that people blame Denson for the troubles of Bryant, Homes, McIntosh, and Williams. First off, they are grown ass men who made bad choices. Nothing less. Nothing more. Secondly, did anybody get on coach Alexander or Coach Lyght when Stepherson and Redfield got in trouble? No. So stop that nonsesne right here.

Tony is a better recruiter, that's documented. But I have been very impressed with what Autry has done with our RBs. He can coach, that is very clear to me. This year is a good example: Jafar had no business doing what he did in such a short time. I credit AD for this. I know this is a recruiting site and Denson has really underperformed there -- I've been very impressed with him as a coach.

Nobody is arguing about academic requirements. The conversation is about the value to respective teams as coach / recruiters. I think every shred of evidence points to Alford. You can handicap it fit your argument all you want. The dude is an elite recruiter (he was by far ND's best recruiter) and his kids play awesome at the next level.
Purdue showed what Alford has done for the running game. Wow. That was stunning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT