ADVERTISEMENT

Angeli

Hopefully
Uuhhh...

NO

You really have no idea.

Now you can go ahead down the trendy road of players praising Tomlin...(you know EXACTLY why...maybe you actually don't)

But results speak for themselves...let's review

First year...loaded with Cowher's team
Lost first playoff game

2nd year Won a Superbowl
loaded with Bill Cowher's team.

3rd year Missed playoff

4th year Lost a SuperBowl with less of Cowher's team.

5th year lost lone playoff

6th year missed playoff

7th year missed playoff

8th year lost lone playoff

9th year 1-1 playoff

10th year 2-1 playoff lost AFC title game

11th year lost playoff 0-1

12th year no playoff 0-1

13th year no playoff

14th year lost playoff 0-1

15th year lost playoff 0-1

What do we see here?

Once officially off the Cowher shirt tail the success has been mediocre at best.
Great if you're the Jacksonville Jaguars...Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions...

Definitely mediocre with the expectations of the Steelers.

He does just good enough to not get dismissed but never great enough to give the team an advantage against the other sideline.

Sounds eerily similar to Brian Kelly.

Oh yeah...you thought he was great too.

Reactions: francade
What exactly would he have studied? And why Mike Tomlin? Just trying to understand what you're saying.
they wheeled out the MARCUS FREEMAN ROBOT who, standing on the sidelines with his arms folded – and with that deer-in-the-headlights look done to a TEE – looked JUST LIKE MARCUS HIMSELF.

Uuuhhhh

Because you literally just described Mike Tomlin to a tee! Mike Tomlin in game is always looking off into nothingness...or a deer in headlights...arms folded half the time...

But you also forgot....

Mike Tomlin is the press conference champion. I mean he's the greatest of all time in the presser.

Ever hear Freeman with the media?

He's definitely done some studying of a certain someone. I promise you that!!!

I just hope he actually produces in game instead of just saying all the Hallmark shit

they wheeled out the MARCUS FREEMAN ROBOT who, standing on the sidelines with his arms folded – and with that deer-in-the-headlights look done to a TEE – looked JUST LIKE MARCUS HIMSELF.

Uuuhhhh

Because you literally just described Mike Tomlin to a tee! Mike Tomlin in game is always looking off into nothingness...or a deer in headlights...arms folded half the time...

But you also forgot....

Mike Tomlin is the press conference champion. I mean he's the greatest of all time in the presser.

I just hope he actually produces in game instead of just saying all the Hallmark shit
Why didn’t you become a 14-year NFL Head Coach at a storied franchise, a CFB Head Coach at Notre Dame, or a major CFB QB like Tyler Buchner, so you could show all of us how to do things correctly?

Reactions: notredamerises23
I think you're missing the big picture point here...

#1 anything BK quarterback related is a disaster

But and #2

The tone of board "thinks" Buchner is other worldly...when it's more like "HOPING" he is...

Because.....

If Coan was all that and the Chip o' bag he wouldn't have transferred....
we don't get the Burrows', the Fields' types in transfer.

Let's say if we did...Coan still was not that type of player.
No disrespect to him but he had trouble owning that starting job bell to bell.

Someone mentioned BK doesn't play youth at the QB spot...
Uuhhh...Golson?

The ultimate point is that Buchner, Pyne was not playing behind a first rounder or hell even a draft day QB...

I hope Coan catches on in the NFL.... I really do...
but he's not an elite talent and yet our #2 and #3 or 2a,2b couldn't dethrone him.

If Buchner was elite like the board HOPES, instead of "thinks" he'd have played a lot more in 21 considering the starter was average at best.

I get the high on Buchner. The hope of him being the guy because he might be the quicket runner from the 1 back in the country. It's so hard to defend a QB like that.

If he starts...ok...
But he's in no way a lock outside of under the dome wishes and dreams.

P.s.
He didn't play in 20...but spare me this poor covid excuse attitude like he was locked in a closet for 365 strong and couldn't even have a catch.
These athletes continue to work out and train.
Moreover...
He didn't play in 20..
Played little in 21 and got hurt...
Didn't play the 22 spring game because...well...he was hurt...

For a number of reasons I'm in no way betting on Buchner
The current state of affairs with ND quarterbacks rests soley on Brian Kelly's shoulders. Its what he left behind. The future state of affairs rests on Marc Freeman.

Uuhhh...

NO

You really have no idea.

Now you can go ahead down the trendy road of players praising Tomlin...(you know EXACTLY why...maybe you actually don't)

Lost first playoff game

2nd year Won a Superbowl

3rd year Missed playoff

6th year missed playoff

7th year missed playoff

9th year 1-1 playoff

12th year no playoff 0-1

13th year no playoff

What do we see here?

Once officially off the Cowher shirt tail the success has been mediocre at best.

He does just good enough to not get dismissed but never great enough to give the team an advantage against the other sideline.

He has almost the exact same career as Bill Cowher. A better win pct in the reg season. Cowher has a better win pct in playoff. Each have 1 SB. Tomlin never had a losing season in his career

Both very good coaches

Reactions: NDDadx3
He has almost the exact same career as Bill Cowher. A better win pct in the reg season. Cowher has a better win pct in playoff. Each have 1 SB. Tomlin never had a losing season in his career

Both very good coaches
Steelers are consistently good because they hire good head coaches and keep them … guys don’t suddenly forget how to coach. It’s a good thing fans don’t run the team. In my lifetime they’ve had 3 head coaches and I’m over 50.

Uuuhhhh

But you also forgot....

I see what you're saying -- though I did see Freeman lately doing an ESPN interview with "Greenie" and whatever TALL, SPORTS-MINDED FEMALE DU JOUR it was.

To be frank, it was a thoroughly VACUOUS EXCHANGE in which NO ONE said anything NOTABLE let alone SUBSTANTIVE. As for Freeman, he rattled off ONE STALE CLICHE after another. Not saying at this point if he can coach or not, but there was certainly no mistaking him for Lou Holtz.

In fact, Freeman seemed tight -- and anxious for the whole thing to be OVER.

I see what you're saying -- though I did see Freeman lately doing an ESPN interview with "Greenie" and whatever TALL, SPORTS-MINDED FEMALE DU JOUR it was.

To be frank, it was a thoroughly VACUOUS EXCHANGE in which NO ONE said anything NOTABLE let alone SUBSTANTIVE. As for Freeman, he rattled off ONE STALE CLICHE after another. Not saying at this point if he can coach or not, but there was certainly no mistaking him for Lou Holtz.

“Rattled off one stale cliche after another” … I guess it takes one to know one.

I would recommend you go get some media training … I’m certain a good media consultant would grade him an A. He’s playing to recruits and he’s using the media opportunities well and not allowing them to create stories. I’m glad you are not entertained, that would not serve him or ND well at this point. ND and Freeman are the talk of CFB right now and he’s doing well capitalizing on it.

Reactions: BGI User 756

By all means...i welcome you to the mike Tomlin PR speaking.
Uptight...robotic...always the right things...

Just not the right coaching.

You should see his replay challenge record...

At one point he lost 14 straight challenges. Has to be a record.

I hope to christ he actually can coach on the field instead of just being a presser champion.

We shall see

“Rattled off one stale cliche after another” … I guess it takes one to know one.

I would recommend you go get some media training … I’m certain a good media consultant would grade him an A. He’s playing to recruits and he’s using the media opportunities well and not allowing them to create stories. I’m glad you are not entertained, that would not serve him or ND well at this point. ND and Freeman are the talk of CFB right now and he’s doing well capitalizing on it.
Watch the interview.

He was as FLAT AS A PANCAKE.

NOT ONE NOTABLE COMMENT OR EVEN AN INKLING OF AN ORIGINAL THOUGHT.

By all means...i welcome you to the mike Tomlin PR speaking.
Uptight...robotic...always the right things...

Just not the right coaching.

You should see his replay challenge record...

At one point he lost 14 straight challenges. Has to be a record.

I hope to christ he actually can coach on the field instead of just being a presser champion.

We shall see
So we shall.

Watch the interview.

He was as FLAT AS A PANCAKE.

NOT ONE NOTABLE COMMENT OR EVEN AN INKLING OF AN ORIGINAL THOUGHT.
Freeman has no issues with the energy he has created around the program and himself in his first preseason. There hasn’t been this much energy around ND football in decades. The preseason interview circuit is not for sharing original thoughts - do you really not know this? We all know the questions and we all know the answers already. They dangle that Freeman will be on and generate views. Let’s get into the season and we will see how Freeman reacts to the inevitable ups and downs both on the field and off. Anyone who knows anything about media would give him an A+ so far.

Freeman has no issues with the energy he has created around the program and himself in his first preseason. There hasn’t been this much energy around ND football in decades. The preseason interview circuit is not for sharing original thoughts - do you really not know this? We all know the questions and we all know the answers already. They dangle that Freeman will be on and generate views. Let’s get into the season and we will see how Freeman reacts to the inevitable ups and downs both on the field and off. Anyone who knows anything about media would give him an A+ so far.
All I said is that it was a DULL AS DISHWATER interview. AND VACUOUS. Read into it or my comments on it what you will.

The ESPN folk were just as DREARY, and the whole thing smacked of PURE MIDDAY FILLER. No one is denying that Freeman hasn't CREATED BUZZ. It simply wasn't on display THERE. What WAS on display AS I SAW IT was another SIDE of him which I TOOK NOTE OF and FILED AWAY.

The guy is NOT Superman. Plus, he knows he's a STATIONARY TARGET. He screws this up, and the ND fanbase will turn on him like the GHOST OF GERRY FAUST.

I saw a guy UNDER PRESSURE.

As you say, WE'LL SEE HOW HE DOES. He may be FINE. Or he may NOT BE. Whether the outcome is comic or tragic, there's always TWO SIDES TO EVERY PERSONNA. What counts is WHICH ONE is LEFT STANDING.

HIGH DRAMA ahead.

88 & I have had our differences but he’s right about tomlin. A slow and steady decline. W/o Ben, I’m not sure it’ll get any better.

He got burned with the fabricated OSU v. ND academics narrative the media played on him....He appears to be practicing "lesson learned". Not a bad approach leading up the the OSU game.

I think Tomlin is highly overrated. When he came into the league he was given a very young HOF QB and a kick ass defense with a wealth of highly skilled specialty players. Now that Big Ben is gone and a old defense we shall see just how good of a head coach he really is.

I think Tomlin is highly overrated. When he came into the league he was given a very young HOF QB and a kick ass defense with a wealth of highly skilled specialty players. Now that Big Ben is gone and a old defense we shall see just how good of a head coach he really is.
Jealous Dolphins fan … since Tomlin was hired he’s had 15 straight winning seasons and we’ve changed coaches 8 times.

Jealous Dolphins fan … since Tomlin was hired he’s had 15 straight winning seasons and we’ve changed coaches 8 times.
I don't think head coaches are as important in the NFL as they are in college. In college, the HC also puts together the roster, obviously. In the NFL, unless they're a HC who doubles as the GM (like Bill Belichick), they just coach the team. The GM puts the team together. That's a huge factor.

I don't think head coaches are as important in the NFL as they are in college. In college, the HC also puts together the roster, obviously. In the NFL, unless they're a HC who doubles as the GM (like Bill Belichick), they just coach the team. The GM puts the team together. That's a huge factor.
NFL personnel decisions are made with coaches input. I doubt any of our 8 coaches could have put together 15 straight winning seasons in Pittsburgh if they were hired instead of Tomlin.

Much tougher to win in the NFL for a Head Coach. Ask Nick Saban. I am certain he would agree.

NFL personnel decisions are made with coaches input. I doubt any of our 8 coaches could have put together 15 straight winning seasons in Pittsburgh if they were hired instead of Tomlin.
Coaches have some input. But unless they're a HC who doubles as the GM, they don't have that much control over the roster. So I'd put more blame on Miami's GMs over recent years, than their HCs.

Coaches have some input. But unless they're a HC who doubles as the GM, they don't have that much control over the roster. So I'd put more blame on Miami's GMs over recent years, than their HCs.
Some guy named Parcells was running football operations … he must not know football. Just thinking of all the games those former Dolphins coaches won before and after their stints in Miami. You just don’t appreciate the sustained success of Tomlin. winning seasons, division titles, super bowl appearances … better run than every other team except one who he happened to be facing every year to get to super bowl.

Some guy named Parcells was running football operations … he must not know football. Just thinking of all the games those former Dolphins coaches won before and after their stints in Miami. You just don’t appreciate the sustained success of Tomlin. winning seasons, division titles, super bowl appearances … better run than every other team except one who he happened to be facing every year to get to super bowl.
I wasn't the one bashing Tomlin. More just making a general statement that I don't think head coaches are as important in the NFL as they are in college.

But who decided to pass on Justin Herbert in the 2020 draft? Was that Parcells?

Uuhhh...

NO

You really have no idea.

Lost first playoff game

2nd year Won a Superbowl

3rd year Missed playoff

6th year missed playoff

7th year missed playoff

9th year 1-1 playoff

12th year no playoff 0-1

13th year no playoff

What do we see here?

First off it wasn't Cowher's players. Unlike college where the coaching staff is recruiting players, the GM is responsible for putting together a team. Cowher had very little input if any regarding the roster.

I wasn't the one bashing Tomlin. More just making a general statement that I don't think head coaches are as important in the NFL as they are in college.

But who decided to pass on Justin Herbert in the 2020 draft? Was that Parcells?
The NY Giants May disagree.

The NY Giants May disagree.
I'm not saying NFL HCs don't have a lot of impact. It depends on the team. Some coaches are heavily involved in all aspects (Belichick, Carroll). Others are just the head coach. They may be involved in personnel decisions, but they don't have the final say.

Reactions: NDinNJ and Golson5
Quit excusing the fact he couldn't win the job.

You can't have this stuff both ways.
On one hand some act like he's going to be the second coming yet on the other hand he couldn't beat out an undtafted QB who in no way set the world afire. Matter of fact was spelled a couple of times in game.

Moreover...if Coan was all that he wouldn't have transferred.

Buchner can run alright but you can't be elite on running alone. To this point his passing isn't special and unless that is extremely polished up he'll be a more brittle Brandon Wimbush part II where the defense makes him pass because odds are it won't hurt them over 4 quarters.
If what you are saying about TB is true, then how did he get a ND offer and a Bama offer?

I am not saying he is “the second coming”. I am just wondering how a guy you describe as not having anything special (except for the ability to run) get major offers????

ADVERTISEMENT