ADVERTISEMENT

Angeli

“Poorly underthrown....” LMAO.

This isn’t the NFL. The Football was thrown to an area to be caught. It was caught.
It’s also not high school, or your backyard, I’ve watched that play and those game highlights 25x … the only thing better than Finkes TD celebration is the catch itself , he bailed his QB out when he reached back and plucked the ball out of the DBs hands and he was double covered. Wimbush had a canon but he underthrew that one. You people crack me up … this thread was about Angelli and quickly turned into about 5 different juvenile arguments. If you want to go with Wimbush passing prowess more power to you. I met his mom once and he was/is a class act and Notre Dame man. Go Irish.

It’s also not high school, or your backyard, I’ve watched that play and those game highlights 25x … the only thing better than Finkes TD celebration is the catch itself , he bailed his QB out when he reached back and plucked the ball out of the DBs hands and he was double covered. Wimbush had a canon but he underthrew that one. You people crack me up … this thread was about Angelli and quickly turned into about 5 different juvenile arguments. If you want to go with Wimbush passing prowess more power to you. I met his mom once and he was/is a class act and Notre Dame man. Go Irish.
3rd And 18.

No problem.

You cannot talk about wimbush without acknowledging that he was utterly mishandled by Mike Sanford. The guy was given possibly the most physically gifted QB ND has recruited ever and he destroyed his ability to throw.

Sanford is one of the least talked about, HUGE errors that Brian Kelly made. He has destroyed qbs level of play almost everywhere he has gone.
Be that as it may, it was still Brian Kelly's ship.
Let's not forget the one they call Brian Van Gorder....
Oh my dear lord....under Brian Van Gorder we were the worst tackling ND team ever!! EVER.

I'm so elated that era is over

You cannot talk about wimbush without acknowledging that he was utterly mishandled by Mike Sanford. The guy was given possibly the most physically gifted QB ND has recruited ever and he destroyed his ability to throw.

Sanford is one of the least talked about, HUGE errors that Brian Kelly made. He has destroyed qbs level of play almost everywhere he has gone.
Be careful. At one point, certain negative posters around here longed for Sanford to replace BK.

Wimbush could really really win. Gifted runner. But you’re right- his ability to throw was completely destroyed. I had no confidence in him being able to compete a pass. The Michigan game was great. Really fun game to watch. No clue how Finke caught that ball, but it turned the game around.

Reactions: BGI User 756
I’m with Golson on this one … ND scored 14 early with Finke muscling a poorly under thrown ball into double coverage. I don’t believe Michigan crossed mid field in the first half. ND only scored 10 more the rest of the way and the defense won the game.
We really had to hang on late. If I’m not mistaken, the momentum started to shift during the 4th quarter. Shea Patterson was bad, and ND took advantage of that. We got up early and the D held on.

Needed a wild catch by Finke on a 50/50 ball. Still remember being shocked that he caught it. Great play.

Dude is just a troll from the premium boards that doesn't realize he's paying a premium for bad information. Treat him like the douche he is.

We really had to hang on late. If I’m not mistaken, the momentum started to shift during the 4th quarter. Shea Patterson was bad, and ND took advantage of that. We got up early and the D held on.

Needed a wild catch by Finke on a 50/50 ball. Still remember being shocked that he caught it. Great play.
End of the day, no matter how you choose to describe it, a great win.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Quit excusing the fact he couldn't win the job.

You can't have this stuff both ways.
On one hand some act like he's going to be the second coming yet on the other hand he couldn't beat out an undtafted QB who in no way set the world afire. Matter of fact was spelled a couple of times in game.

Moreover...if Coan was all that he wouldn't have transferred.

Buchner can run alright but you can't be elite on running alone. To this point his passing isn't special and unless that is extremely polished up he'll be a more brittle Brandon Wimbush part II where the defense makes him pass because odds are it won't hurt them over 4 quarters.
First off, you can't have it both ways either. On one hand you've mentioned many times how BK butchered the QB position and doesn't have the ability to evaluate the talent properly. Well he was the HC last season.
Second, due to Covid, Buchner did not play in 2020 at all, so he was basically removed from football for a whole year. That's difficult to come back from for most pro athletes let alone a HS kid transitioning to college.

Reactions: NIN Irish
First off, you can't have it both ways either. On one hand you've mentioned many times how BK butchered the QB position and doesn't have the ability to evaluate the talent properly. Well he was the HC last season.
Second, due to Covid, Buchner did not play in 2020 at all, so he was basically removed from football for a whole year. That's difficult to come back from for most pro athletes let alone a HS kid transitioning to college.
I think you're missing the big picture point here...

#1 anything BK quarterback related is a disaster

But and #2

The tone of board "thinks" Buchner is other worldly...when it's more like "HOPING" he is...

Because.....

If Coan was all that and the Chip o' bag he wouldn't have transferred....
we don't get the Burrows', the Fields' types in transfer.

Let's say if we did...Coan still was not that type of player.
No disrespect to him but he had trouble owning that starting job bell to bell.

Someone mentioned BK doesn't play youth at the QB spot...
Uuhhh...Golson?

The ultimate point is that Buchner, Pyne was not playing behind a first rounder or hell even a draft day QB...

I hope Coan catches on in the NFL.... I really do...
but he's not an elite talent and yet our #2 and #3 or 2a,2b couldn't dethrone him.

If Buchner was elite like the board HOPES, instead of "thinks" he'd have played a lot more in 21 considering the starter was average at best.

I get the high on Buchner. The hope of him being the guy because he might be the quicket runner from the 1 back in the country. It's so hard to defend a QB like that.

If he starts...ok...
But he's in no way a lock outside of under the dome wishes and dreams.

P.s.
He didn't play in 20...but spare me this poor covid excuse attitude like he was locked in a closet for 365 strong and couldn't even have a catch.
These athletes continue to work out and train.
Moreover...
He didn't play in 20..
Played little in 21 and got hurt...
Didn't play the 22 spring game because...well...he was hurt...

For a number of reasons I'm in no way betting on Buchner

But and #2

The tone of board "thinks" Buchner is other worldly...when it's more like "HOPING" he is...

Because.....

Uuhhh...Golson?

The ultimate point is that Buchner, Pyne was not playing behind a first rounder or hell even a draft day QB...

but he's not an elite talent and yet our #2 and #3 or 2a,2b couldn't dethrone him.

If Buchner was elite like the board HOPES, instead of "thinks" he'd have played a lot more in 21 considering the starter was average at best.

I get the high on Buchner. The hope of him being the guy because he might be the quicket runner from the 1 back in the country. It's so hard to defend a QB like that.

If he starts...ok...

P.s.
He didn't play in 20...but spare me this poor covid excuse attitude like he was locked in a closet for 365 strong and couldn't even have a catch.
Moreover...
He didn't play in 20..

That's a big mistake by you

But and #2

Because.....

Uuhhh...Golson?

If he starts...ok...

P.s.
Moreover...
He didn't play in 20..

Paralysis of analysis.

Why would Brian Kelly, on a senior laden team, start a true freshman at QB over a fifth year senior who started in a Rose Bowl and had 18 starts at Wisconsin?

Quit while you are behind. Your narrative is bad.

Reactions: notredamerises23
For a guy playing his first meaningful college football Buchner looked really good to me. Breaking in a freshman QB is usually tough - he was better than I expected and came into games when they were far from decided and made some big plays

Reactions: NDinNJ
For a guy playing his first meaningful college football Buchner looked really good to me. Breaking in a freshman QB is usually tough - he was better than I expected and came into games when they were far from decided and made some big plays
buchner stinks. pyne will star game 3

• Haha
Paralysis of analysis.

Why would Brian Kelly, on a senior laden team, start a true freshman at QB over a fifth year senior who started in a Rose Bowl and had 18 starts at Wisconsin?

Quit while you are behind. Your narrative is bad.
Good lord...I thought you might have been the youngest poster on the board but you definitely solidified it.

Ready?

In 2012 we had what was called a good team. We had good experience and talent on defense, offense, the backfield...hell even.....god forbid....talent at wideout...

Now let's see who started....

A senior? Nah... A junior with experience? Nah...

A....

Wait for it.....

A freshman!!

Oh and about that junior with experience...he was called on all year long to help jump start a sputtering offense.
Matter of fact he was a huge reason for a 12-1 season.

Everyone HOPES he's all that but the fact remains he couldn't win the job against a rather pedestrian QB in Coan.
You can't put this kid on some elite pedestal and then just disregard the fact he couldn't start over Coan who needed spelled at times during the season because of a sputtering offense.
Coan, who wasn't a Heisman candidate or All American...or first round pick...or any round pick for that matter...didn't even get drafted....
Yet Buchner couldn't win that job.

If Buchner is an elite talent and backing up an elite talent...he sits.

If Buchner is an elite talent and backing up Coan...he starts.

None of that happened.

Lol. Who knows

He may just really lack any semblance of football intelligence or he just likes to be different
I told you this isn't Madden football and just because you regurgitate the same shit you hear from the talking heads doesn't mean you actually know.

While you were spewing...REPEATEDLY... how Brian Kelly was ...how'd you say...GREAT...I had to constantly bring you back to reality in that he was nothing but fools gold.

Maybe he'll still take YOU to the promise land...again something you repeated frequently...now that he's in your favorite conference.
Bet he doesn't

Lastly, anytime you'd like to discuss x's and o's, fundamental football, I'll gladly oblige. Anytime!
Matter of fact let's set it up. We'll do in real time so you can't ask your friend google.

Is 88ND a fan of Notre Dame?
Well...
I'd be willing to bet I'm more ND than you are.

You actually need to ask your youthful pal how much a ND fan he is.
I'm not sure why he's even on here truth be told given how much he truly loves all things SEC. I mean he's in LOVE with Bama and LOVES the SEC.
At least Brian Kelly went to his Graceland.

Now to your point....

I'm not anti ND...I just live in reality borough.
The reality to this point is that posters here, far too many, act like Buchner is the second coming when in fact they're HOPING he is.

The only thing promising to this point he's shown is that he's got elite speed.
Now...please follow along as I said to this point. He might set the world afire as players do progress at different rates. If he becomes an elite thrower with that speed it would be a most wonderful thing for the team.

Not one person here can confidently say his throwing is elite at this point. We have a tiny sampling of his throwing at the Division I level and it's nothing that would deem him some other worldly talent.

Perhaps he becomes that player but from the sampling we have not yet.

Good lord...I thought you might have been the youngest poster on the board but you definitely solidified it.

Ready?

In 2012 we had what was called a good team. We had good experience and talent on defense, offense, the backfield...hell even.....god forbid....talent at wideout...

A....

Wait for it.....

A freshman!!

Oh and about that junior with experience...he was called on all year long to help jump start a sputtering offense.

Everyone HOPES he's all that but the fact remains he couldn't win the job against a rather pedestrian QB in Coan.
You can't put this kid on some elite pedestal and then just disregard the fact he couldn't start over Coan who needed spelled at times during the season because of a sputtering offense.
Coan, who wasn't a Heisman candidate or All American...or first round pick...or any round pick for that matter...didn't even get drafted....

None of that happened.
You are being economical with the the truth again …

Golson was not a freshman in 2012, he was a college sophomore with a year in the program already. Buchner was a college freshman who didn’t even olay a senior high school season.

Another bad analogy is Coan and Rees … Coan was a 5th year with Rose Bowl experience coming off an injury.

Big differences my friend … sorry facts don’t support your position

In any event we will all find out soon enough what Buchner is all about.

Go Irish.

Ready?

A....

Wait for it.....

A freshman!!

None of that happened.
The 12 team didnt have anyone on the roster as good as Coan was

Golson played his senior hs season. Buchner did not

You are as dumb as they come talking sports

Ready?

A....

Wait for it.....

A freshman!!

None of that happened.
Good story teller, consistent narrative, I will give you that.

Your kids, before they go to bed, will....... or have already benefited, and that's a good thing.

I try to find good in everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: notredamerises23

Golson was not a freshman in 2012, he was a college sophomore with a year in the program already. Buchner was a college freshman who didn’t even olay a senior high school season.

Another bad analogy is Coan and Rees … Coan was a 5th year with Rose Bowl experience coming off an injury.

Go Irish.
88ND is not interested in the truth, such as Everett Golson being a sophomore during the 2012 season.

He has a Tyler Buchner narrative to promote, and facts are not required.

Go Irish.
It doesn't matter the what, why where and how.

Top programs have played, started true freshmen @ the QB spot provided of course how talented they are.

I'm not going to get into the pissing contest about how Brian Kelly handles the QB position. That's been a complete disaster his entire stay @ ND.

That said the fact remains Coan wasn't setting the world afire and sputtered on many occasions.

He wasn't an elite talent.

Buchner might become elite but his small sampling of throwing to this point is far from elite.

It doesn't matter the what, why where and how.

Top programs have played, started true freshmen @ the QB spot provided of course how talented they are.

I'm not going to get into the pissing contest about how Brian Kelly handles the QB position. That's been a complete disaster his entire stay @ ND.

That said the fact remains Coan wasn't setting the world afire and sputtered on many occasions.

He wasn't an elite talent.

Buchner might become elite but his small sampling of throwing to this point is far from elite.
Most QBs don't play much as freshman. And they usually dont excel as frosh

Bryce Young and CJ Stroud didn't do anything as freshman

Look at Kyler Murrays stats as a true freshman. Not very good

Baker mayfield was very average

Then don't act like Buchner is the second coming.

You can't have this both ways. He's not all of a sudden an over the top elite play making QB this year who didn't play one Bowl game snap nor one down in the spring game mind you...

He very well might be the starter but this tone acting like he's some way out in front leader of the QB competition is wishful thinking and nothing more.
There are TWO SECOND COMINGS COMING.

Buchner AND Freeman.

Or are they the SAME PERSON? They were in my DREAM.

“THERE,” whenever Buchner went in during the regular season, they wheeled out the MARCUS FREEMAN ROBOT who, standing on the sidelines with his arms folded – and with that deer-in-the-headlights look done to a TEE – looked JUST LIKE MARCUS HIMSELF.

Meanwhile, “MARCUS” A/K/A “TYLER” performed on the field while JACK COAN RECOMPOSED HIMSELF.

My dream also solved the mystery as to why “TYLER” DIDN’T PLAY IN THE BOWL GAME. He had to REMAIN ON THE SIDELINES and, AS “MARCUS,” ACTUALLY COACH.

Extrapolating forward, “TYLER” may never be able to START – or even PLAY – as he’ll be forced to remain on the sidelines as “MARCUS,” ND’s new head coach, because while the MARCUS FREEMAN ROBOT is a great stand-in, IT CAN’T REALLY COACH.

Then there’s Fighting Irish Protestant WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS’ take:

THE SECOND COMING

Turning and turning in the widening gyre,

The falcon (Buchner) can’t hear the falconer (Freeman);

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold (ND’s OL);

Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world (OSU opener),

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere

The ceremony of innocence is drowned (Freeman’s inaugural season);

The best lack all conviction (Inside ND Sports), while the worst (ESPN)

Are filled with passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand:

Surely the Second Coming (times 2) is at hand.

The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out

When a vast image of Spiritus Mundi (The Horseshoe)

Troubles my sight; somewhere in sands of the desert (Death Valley)

A shape with lion (or leprechaun) body and the head of a man,

A gaze as blank and pitiless as the sun,

Is moving its Slow (scout team) thighs, while all about it

Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds (UNLV).

The darkness drops again (4 losses); but now I know

That 20 centuries of stony sleep (or 25 Holtz-less years)

Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle (of early enrollees)

And what rough beast/contender, its hour come round at last,

Slouches toward Bethlehem (or Columbus) to be born?

WHO KNOWS?

Buchner AND Freeman.

“THERE,” whenever Buchner went in during the regular season, they wheeled out the MARCUS FREEMAN ROBOT who, standing on the sidelines with his arms folded – and with that deer-in-the-headlights look done to a TEE – looked JUST LIKE MARCUS HIMSELF.

Meanwhile, “MARCUS” A/K/A “TYLER” performed on the field while JACK COAN RECOMPOSED HIMSELF.

My dream also solved the mystery as to why “TYLER” DIDN’T PLAY IN THE BOWL GAME. He had to REMAIN ON THE SIDELINES and, AS “MARCUS,” ACTUALLY COACH.

Extrapolating forward, “TYLER” may never be able to START – or even PLAY – as he’ll be forced to remain on the sidelines as “MARCUS,” ND’s new head coach, because while the MARCUS FREEMAN ROBOT is a great stand-in, IT CAN’T REALLY COACH.

THE SECOND COMING

WHO KNOWS?
Thanks for the bed time story. Keep them coming. All i ask is if you could post them a little later in the evening.,

Buchner AND Freeman.

THE SECOND COMING

WHO KNOWS?
Stay off the drugs

Buchner AND Freeman.

THE SECOND COMING

WHO KNOWS?
Anyone have Advil?

they wheeled out the MARCUS FREEMAN ROBOT who, standing on the sidelines with his arms folded – and with that deer-in-the-headlights look done to a TEE – looked JUST LIKE MARCUS HIMSELF.
Anyone care to wager that Freeman spent some time studying Mike Tomlin...???

To a TEE!!!

Reminds me of two other HOF'rs who famously stood on the sidelines with their arms folded...Bill Walsh and Don Shula....Some guys probably think better that way.

ADVERTISEMENT