ADVERTISEMENT

ANDREW KRISTOFIC

They posted the footage of Q Nelson from the 5 Star Challenge from Rivals & if you want to see some ass-kicking, straight up man versus boys, watch that.
They said it was one of the most dominating performances they had ever seen from an OL. The best part was you can already see his mean streak because he literally slaps people around.

Often, there just is not enough information to properly place a kid. I think what you seewith these two kids is that they are now more accurately sloted.

There was plenty of information to plave them before.
Recruiting rankings agencies are just highly inaccurate.

This is why they should never be cited with regards to individual, known recruits. They’re not accurate enough to be used at that level.

They’re only accurate enough to be useful when looking generally across large numbers of anonymous prospects to compare general probabilities.

This is one of the many key misunderstandings where people like @chaseball fail.

Reactions: Pennick4
History supports chase far far more than your blabber.

Chase correctly maintains that over a period of time a team will pretty much perform at the level it has been recruiting.

I think ND’s past decade is pretty much in line with that. Especially when you subtract the 5* players that did not perform for ND.

Last edited:

Chase correctly maintains that over a period of time a team will pretty much perform at the level it has been recruiting.

I think ND’s past decade is pretty much in line with that. Especially when you subtract the 5* players that did not perform for ND.

In the past 10 years ND has landed 12 players that were rated 5 stars on at least one of the services and were top 100 composite recruits overall. 6 of them became all Americans, won national awards, were multi year starters and were drafted in the first round or second round of the NFL Draft. That list includes...

Manti Te'o
Michael Floyd
Kyle Rudolph
Stephon Tuitt
Jaylon Smith
Quenton Nelson

4 of them were busts at Notre Dame for one reason or another. That list includes...

Dayne Crist
Aaron Lynch
Gunner Kiel
Max Redfield

Two of them are on pace to be three year starters and are both potential captains in 2019 and if both continue to develop, they'll be NFL locks. That list includes...

Daelin Hayes
Tommy Kraemer

Anyone who is so biased that they can't see that you have a 2 to 1 chance of getting a top notch player vs a bust when you land a 5 star at ND, is clearly ignoring fact. The 5 best players at Notre Dame over the past 10 years, the national award winners, 1st round draft picks, and guys that we now talk about as top 3 ever at Notre Dame relative to their position, were all 5 stars before they started at Notre Dame.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
In the past 10 years ND has landed 12 players that were rated 5 stars on at least one of the services and were top 100 composite recruits overall. 6 of them became all Americans, won national awards, were multi year starters and were drafted in the first round or second round of the NFL Draft. That list includes...

Manti Te'o
Michael Floyd
Kyle Rudolph
Stephon Tuitt
Jaylon Smith
Quenton Nelson

4 of them were busts at Notre Dame for one reason or another. That list includes...

Dayne Crist
Aaron Lynch
Gunner Kiel
Max Redfield

Two of them are on pace to be three year starters and are both potential captains in 2019 and if both continue to develop, they'll be NFL locks. That list includes...

Daelin Hayes
Tommy Kraemer

Anyone who is so biased that they can't see that you have a 2 to 1 chance of getting a top notch player vs a bust when you land a 5 star at ND, is clearly ignoring fact. The 5 best players at Notre Dame over the past 10 years, the national award winners, 1st round draft picks, and guys that we now talk about as top 3 ever at Notre Dame relative to their position, were all 5 stars before they started at Notre Dame.

Great breakdown

Manti Te'o
Michael Floyd
Kyle Rudolph
Stephon Tuitt
Jaylon Smith
Quenton Nelson

Dayne Crist
Aaron Lynch
Gunner Kiel
Max Redfield

Daelin Hayes
Tommy Kraemer

(I was directing my comment at Friedman)

And lest we forget E. Vanderdoes. He helped the class ranking but never the team.

True but unfortunately at these camps they are not performing at actual football. Just glorified gym class.
Agreed but if there are specific athletic traits that coaches are looking for in a profile of the players they want then it is possible to measure those things.

Are you illiterate?

Recruiting rankings are USEFUL for large numbers of anonymous players
(as you just said)

Recruiting rankings are USELESS for specific, identified players because they're far to inaccurate, as players like Hamilton and Kristofic show. Actually evaluating the prospect based on film, offers, recruitment, etc. if MUCH more accurate.

Try not to be so stupid.

Manti Te'o
Michael Floyd
Kyle Rudolph
Stephon Tuitt
Jaylon Smith
Quenton Nelson

Dayne Crist
Aaron Lynch
Gunner Kiel
Max Redfield

Daelin Hayes
Tommy Kraemer

Largely incorrect.

Some 5*'s develop at that level, but of equal quality at ND have been:
Zach Martin
Tyler Eifert
Will Fuller
Mike McGlinchey
Harrison Smith

Again, recruiting rankings are useful at a statistical level ONLY, and even then you have to have large enough numbers to deal with their inaccuracy.

As to specific, identifiable recruits....they're one of the worst ways to access quality.

(I was directing my comment at Friedman)

And lest we forget E. Vanderdoes. He helped the class ranking but never the team.
Learn to use the quote function.

It's easy to do and helps me to rip apart your pathetic posts much more quickly

You still here? thought you had been committed “”.

Typically only come to this board to correct the blatant stupidity that floats around it when I'm travelling and therefore bored.

Your absolute lack of knowledge on recruiting is right up there with @chaseball and is always good for some easy laughs

Largely incorrect.

Some 5*'s develop at that level, but of equal quality at ND have been:
Zach Martin
Tyler Eifert
Will Fuller
Mike McGlinchey
Harrison Smith

Again, recruiting rankings are useful at a statistical level ONLY, and even then you have to have large enough numbers to deal with their inaccuracy.

As to specific, identifiable recruits....they're one of the worst ways to access quality.

Re-read my post, never did I state that players can't develop into 5 stars. All i saod is that historically (over a 10 year period) we've seen sustained evidence at a 2 to 1 ratio that a 5 star recruit will become a 5 star player at ND. Anytime you have a 60% hit rate on projected All Americans, that's an incredible win for Notre Dame.

Manti Te'o
Michael Floyd
Kyle Rudolph
Stephon Tuitt
Jaylon Smith
Quenton Nelson

Dayne Crist
Aaron Lynch
Gunner Kiel
Max Redfield

Daelin Hayes
Tommy Kraemer

#5StarsMatter

The only persons that deny the significance of getting the obvious playmakers in their class are those trying to make excuses for their team not successfully recruiting those recruits.

Re-read my post, never did I state that players can't develop into 5 stars. All i saod is that historically (over a 10 year period) we've seen sustained evidence at a 2 to 1 ratio that a 5 star recruit will become a 5 star player at ND. Anytime you have a 60% hit rate on projected All Americans, that's an incredible win for Notre Dame.

I guess my disagreement with your post was about the actual importance of the ranking for an individual, known recruit.

If you followed the recruitment or saw the film of Jaylon, Teo, or Floyd then you knew that they were a big-time get, regardless of the star rating. But similarly, it was clear that Golden Tate, Mike McGlinchey, Ronnie Stanely, etc. were similar major gets to anyone who knew what they were talking about..........though fools like @chaseball and @NDIRISH53 some manage to lose the importance of these recruits bc @MFarrell doesn't think they look good enough in their underwear.

Recruiting rankings are useful on a statistical level, as you've pointed out, but they're too inaccurate to be useful in evaluating an individual, known recruit.

Example: The rankings of Kristofic and Hamilton do NOTHING to impact the fact that they are major, major gets and high impact prospects/talents.

The only persons that deny the significance of getting the obvious playmakers in their class are those trying to make excuses for their team not successfully recruiting those recruits.

Here is another fool, confusing "recruiting rankings" with "playmakers", when talking about individual, known recruits (not statistics based on large numbers)

Other fools include, Saban, Meyer and Dabo.

No, no they do not.

None of those coaches rely on @MFarrell's ridiculously inaccurate recruiting rankings on any level.
The "underwear analysis" is NOT a major part of their scouting.

The only people who use recruiting rankings to assess the quality of an indivudal, known recruit are fools like @NDIRISH53, @chaseball, and @justified1

No one that knows anything would make that type of rookie error

so, your only source is Farrell? You should subscribe to irishnumberone’s recruiting scratch off sheets. It is interactive, but it does not require friends. Perfect for you.

No, no they do not.

None of those coaches rely on @MFarrell's ridiculously inaccurate recruiting rankings on any level.
The "underwear analysis" is NOT a major part of their scouting.

The only people who use recruiting rankings to assess the quality of an indivudal, known recruit are fools like @NDIRISH53, @chaseball, and @justified1

No one that knows anything would make that type of rookie error
Friedman I thought I took your phone away. Don’t make me tell your mother!

Ah, the pathetic response of a weak mind.

Always amusing to watch.
After making you my bitch countless times, along with others completely clowning you you are no longer worthy of having a discussing with. You’re like the town drunk everyone points and laughs at as you tell stories of how you would have made the NFL if you never got injured.

After making you my bitch countless times, along with others completely clowning you you are no longer worthy of having a discussing with. You’re like the town drunk everyone points and laughs at as you tell stories of how you would have made the NFL if you never got injured.

Always funny to watch you think you've ever won even a singe deabte.

You're at 0% wins .... at it gets worse for you every time I swing by and put you back into your place

You're right "up there" with @hfhmilkman in your inability to respond to facts

I guess my disagreement with your post was about the actual importance of the ranking for an individual, known recruit.

If you followed the recruitment or saw the film of Jaylon, Teo, or Floyd then you knew that they were a big-time get, regardless of the star rating. But similarly, it was clear that Golden Tate, Mike McGlinchey, Ronnie Stanely, etc. were similar major gets to anyone who knew what they were talking about..........though fools like @chaseball and @NDIRISH53 some manage to lose the importance of these recruits bc @MFarrell doesn't think they look good enough in their underwear.

Recruiting rankings are useful on a statistical level, as you've pointed out, but they're too inaccurate to be useful in evaluating an individual, known recruit.

Example: The rankings of Kristofic and Hamilton do NOTHING to impact the fact that they are major, major gets and high impact prospects/talents.

Golden Tate was the composite 81st ranked player in the country with a 0.9594 rating.
Ronnie Stanley was the composite 125th ranked player in the country with a 0.9472 rating.
Mike McGlinchey was the composite 172nd ranked player in the country with a 0.9280 rating.

By any reasonable standard a top 150 recruit is considered a high 4 star player. While I disagree with Chase at times regarding his thoughts on recruiting, I've never seen him complain when Notre Dame lands a top 150 player. Both Stanley and Tate fell in that range (and deservedly so) and McGlinchey barely missed the cut. The guys that rank players aren't psychic. They make film evaluations and have to slot a bunch of guys that have similar talent levels and often have different skills sets and are at different points of their development. On top of that, it is impossible to know the work ethic, the relative health of the recruit, the individual quality of coaching he'll receive at whatever school he chooses, or the multitude of other factors that will have a positive, negative or neutral affect on his development... Because of those unknowns, is it possible that the 81st ranked player in the country develops into a top 10 player from his class? Of course. I've never seen a recruiting service suggest that can't happen, or even that it's unlikely. Chances are that the difference between let's say the 24th ranked player (a 5 star) and the 81st ranked played (a 4 high star) is very slim. It could literally (unfortunately) come down to something as simple as politics or business, or it could simply be something completely benign, such as the struggle to rank 100+ players that essentially have the same level of skill.

Did Mike McGlinchey and Ronnie Stanley out develop their rankings? Yes. But were their ratings so off that the recruiting services clearly missed the boat on their talent level? Or did they simply fall inside the group of other excellent recruits in the country and work hard and stay healthy?... Furthermore, when the recruiting services ranked them it was based on film, camp success, reputation and perceived upside (plus some politics that can account for a small slide or a bump here or there). The recruiting services did not (and should not) account for the unknown fact that they would both commit to play for Harry Hiestand, and end up getting coached by the best offensive line coach in college football, who develops 1st round NFL talent at a higher rate than any of his peers. It is not possible to reflect that in the rankings. Was there much separating Ronnie and Mike from the maybe 8-10 guys ranked ahead of them as tackles in their class? Not at all. Did Harry Hiestand's coaching, combined with their commitment to development make up the difference (if there even was one)? Obviously, yes... It's not like they were composite 3 stars ranked in the 30's at their position, who had attended a ton of camps and had lots of film out there and the recruiting services just missed them. They were highly ranked 4 star players, who pushed the needle a little further. I think we'd be silly not to allow for that range in the development of a person who is 18 when they leave high school.

I agree that if you watched any of their tape that you knew they would be good... So did the services. That's why they were ranked among the best players in the country.

As for Jaylon, Manti and Mike... Nothing changes about what I said above. They were evaluated, deemed elite and ranked as such. They wound up being just as good as the recruiting services said they'd be. Going back to ND's "hit rate" on players ranked that highly. Again, it underlines the importance of landing not only top 150'ish players and top 100 players (because those players have a chance to be game changers) but it further underscores the importance of landing a couple 5 star, elite guys as well... Because when ND has, they've had over a 60% chance of becoming nationally recognized, award winning, All Americans and all time ND greats. That's not to say that other players of a slightly lesser rank can't achieve that, evidence simply shows that statistically, they'll do it less often.

As for Hamilton and Kristofic… They are being evaluated and re-evaluated. That's why services update their rankings. Yes there are some politics involved in that process, but, generally the idea is the increase the accuracy (especially accuracy of range) in the final rankings at the conclusion of the cycle. Both Kristofic and Hamilton were clearly ranked too low. We knew that. We've been talking about it for months and so have the people that cover Notre Dame. The recruiting services are now just getting around to seeing what we've seen all along. Why does it matter when it happens?

I agree with you that their ranking isn't the determining factor in how good they'll be. Their actual talent, work ethic, development, health and coaching will ultimately determine that... In saying that, it takes nothing away from the fact that landing top 150, top 100 and 5 star talent with ultimately lead to more success. That's really the undertone to all of Chaseball's recruiting arguments and overwhelming evidence both on the micro and macro levels suggests that to be true.

Last edited:
Golden Tate was the composite 81st ranked player in the country with a 0.9594 rating.
Ronnie Stanley was the composite 125th ranked player in the country with a 0.9472 rating.
Mike McGlinchey was the composite 172nd ranked player in the country with a 0.9280 rating.

By any reasonable standard a top 150 recruit is considered a high 4 star player. While I disagree with Chase at times regarding his thoughts on recruiting, I've never seen him complain when Notre Dame lands a top 150 player. Both Stanley and Tate fell in that range (and deservedly so) and McGlinchey barely missed the cut. The guys that rank players aren't psychic. They make film evaluations and have to slot a bunch of guys that have similar talent levels and often have different skills sets and are at different points of their development. On top of that, it is impossible to know the work ethic, the relative health of the recruit, the individual quality of coaching he'll receive at whatever school he chooses, or the multitude of other factors that will have a positive, negative or neutral affect on his development... Because of those unknowns, is it possible that the 81st ranked player in the country develops into a top 10 player from his class? Of course. I've never seen a recruiting service suggest that can't happen, or even that it's unlikely. Chances are that the difference between let's say the 24th ranked player (a 5 star) and the 81st ranked played (a 4 high star) is very slim. It could literally (unfortunately) come down to something as simple as politics or business, or it could be simply be something completely benign, such as the struggle to rank 100+ players that essentially have the same level of skill.

Did Mike McGlinchey and Ronnie Stanley out develop their rankings? Yes. But were their ratings so off that the recruiting services clearly missed the boat on their talent level? Or did they simply fall inside the group of other excellent recruits in the country and work hard and stay healthy?... Furthermore, when the recruiting services ranked them it was based on film, camp success, reputation and perceived upside (plus some politics that can account for a small slide or a bump here or there). The recruiting services did not (and should) account for the unknown fact that they would both commit to play for Harry Hiestand, and end up getting coached by the best offensive line coach in college football, who develops 1st round NFL talent at a higher rate than any of his piers. It is not possible to reflect that in the rankings. Was there much separating Ronnie and Mike from the maybe 8-10 guys ranked ahead of them as tackles in their class? Not at all. Did Harry Hiestand's coaching, combined with their commitment to development make up the difference (if there even was one)? Obviously, yes... It's not like they were composite 3 stars ranked in the 30's at their position, who had attended a ton of camps and had lots of film out there and the recruiting services just missed them. They were highly ranked 4 star players, who pushed the needle a little further. I think we'd be silly not to allow for that range in the development of a person who is 18 when they leave high school.

I agree that if you watched any of their tape that you knew they would be good... So did the services. That's why they were ranked among the best players in the country.

As for Jaylon, Manti and Mike... Nothing changes about what I said above. They were evaluated, deemed elite and ranked as such. They wound up being just as good as the recruiting services said they'd be. Going back to ND's "hit rate" on players ranked that highly. Again, it underlines the importance of landing not only top 150'ish players and top 100 players (because those players have a chance to be game changers) but it further underscores the importance of landing a couple 5 star, elite guys as well... Because when ND has, they've had over a 60% chance of becoming nationally recognized, award winning, All Americans and all time ND greats. That's not to say that other players of a slightly lesser rank can't achieve that, evidence simply shows that statistically, they'll do it less often.

As for Hamilton and Kristofic… They are being evaluated and re-evaluated. That's why services update their rankings. Yes there are some politics involved in that process, but, generally the idea is the increase the accuracy (especially accuracy of range) in the final rankings at the conclusion of the cycle. Both Kristofic and Hamilton were clearly ranked too low. We knew that. We've been talking about it for months and so have the people that cover Notre Dame. The recruiting services are now just getting around to seeing what we've seen all along. Why does it matter when it happens?

I agree with you that their ranking isn't the determining factor in how good they'll be. Their actual talent, work ethic, development, health and coaching with ultimately determine that... In saying that, it takes nothing away from the fact that landing top 150, top 100 and 5 star talent with ultimately lead to more success. That's really the undertone to all of Chaseball's recruiting arguments and overwhelming evidence both on the micro and macro levels suggests that to be true.

Why are you giving him the dignity of a reply he cannot appreciate?

You are just being an “enabler” .

Reactions: uteck42
IIO, when CoachD evaluates a guy he gives an upside. so like kristofic he was a 3 star originally with a 5 star upside. So that does not mean you will become a 5* it means if you grow mentally and physically football and work at it you will become a 5* after the fact, other ranking I noticed he will say boom or bust meaning he will be a 5* or a bust. Do you subscribe to that assessment

Greg Bryant as well

I intentionally left Vanderdoes off the list because he never suited up in an ND uniform. He never even reported to ND. He had no chance to be a 5 star boom or bust at ND so he's irrelevant to my argument, IMO.

IIO, when CoachD evaluates a guy he gives an upside. so like kristofic he was a 3 star originally with a 5 star upside. So that does not mean you will become a 5* it means if you grow mentally and physically football and work at it you will become a 5* after the fact, other ranking I noticed he will say boom or bust meaning he will be a 5* or a bust. Do you subscribe to that assessment

I do like that Bryan does that. Driskell is a former coach. As a coach, especially in a lower division where you get less "finished products" you have to be able to project into the future and project upside. When I coached at the University of Ottawa, I had to do that regularly.

Bryan and I talked on the phone for several hours one night when we worked together, about who we thought was the most underrated member of the 2011 class. We unanimously agreed that it was Matthias Farley, despite playing on two years of high school football, after growing up playing soccer at a high level. The combination of his film (despite being new to football), his hunger to be a good player (which we gathered based on our conversations with him), his success in track and field and the fact that he got banned from the soccer league he played in for being too physical, gave us a lot of "inside info" regarding his intangibles. Things like that also drive an upside grade when you're evaluating a prospect.

By any reasonable standard a top 150 recruit is considered a high 4 star player. While I disagree with Chase at times regarding his thoughts on recruiting, I've never seen him complain when Notre Dame lands a top 150 player. Both Stanley and Tate fell in that range (and deservedly so) and McGlinchey barely missed the cut. The guys that rank players aren't psychic. They make film evaluations and have to slot a bunch of guys that have similar talent levels and often have different skills sets and are at different points of their development. On top of that, it is impossible to know the work ethic, the relative health of the recruit, the individual quality of coaching he'll receive at whatever school he chooses, or the multitude of other factors that will have a positive, negative or neutral affect on his development... Because of those unknowns, is it possible that the 81st ranked player in the country develops into a top 10 player from his class? Of course. I've never seen a recruiting service suggest that can't happen, or even that it's unlikely. Chances are that the difference between let's say the 24th ranked player (a 5 star) and the 81st ranked played (a 4 high star) is very slim. It could literally (unfortunately) come down to something as simple as politics or business, or it could simply be something completely benign, such as the struggle to rank 100+ players that essentially have the same level of skill.

Did Mike McGlinchey and Ronnie Stanley out develop their rankings? Yes. But were their ratings so off that the recruiting services clearly missed the boat on their talent level? Or did they simply fall inside the group of other excellent recruits in the country and work hard and stay healthy?... Furthermore, when the recruiting services ranked them it was based on film, camp success, reputation and perceived upside (plus some politics that can account for a small slide or a bump here or there). The recruiting services did not (and should not) account for the unknown fact that they would both commit to play for Harry Hiestand, and end up getting coached by the best offensive line coach in college football, who develops 1st round NFL talent at a higher rate than any of his peers. It is not possible to reflect that in the rankings. Was there much separating Ronnie and Mike from the maybe 8-10 guys ranked ahead of them as tackles in their class? Not at all. Did Harry Hiestand's coaching, combined with their commitment to development make up the difference (if there even was one)? Obviously, yes... It's not like they were composite 3 stars ranked in the 30's at their position, who had attended a ton of camps and had lots of film out there and the recruiting services just missed them. They were highly ranked 4 star players, who pushed the needle a little further. I think we'd be silly not to allow for that range in the development of a person who is 18 when they leave high school.

I agree with you that their ranking isn't the determining factor in how good they'll be. Their actual talent, work ethic, development, health and coaching will ultimately determine that... In saying that, it takes nothing away from the fact that landing top 150, top 100 and 5 star talent with ultimately lead to more success. That's really the undertone to all of Chaseball's recruiting arguments and overwhelming evidence both on the micro and macro levels suggests that to be true.
On a macro level taking team recruiting rankings for 4 years is a great indicator of how talented a team is. Friedman doesn’t understand this. Unless you have a once in a decade QB you will not win a title without years of elite recruiting.

Reactions: justified1
I do like that Bryan does that. Driskell is a former coach. As a coach, especially in a lower division where you get less "finished products" you have to be able to project into the future and project upside. When I coached at the University of Ottawa, I had to do that regularly.

Bryan and I talked on the phone for several hours one night when we worked together, about who we thought was the most underrated member of the 2011 class. We unanimously agreed that it was Matthias Farley, despite playing on two years of high school football, after growing up playing soccer at a high level. The combination of his film (despite being new to football), his hunger to be a good player (which we gathered based on our conversations with him), his success in track and field and the fact that he got banned from the soccer league he played in for being too physical, gave us a lot of "inside info" regarding his intangibles. Things like that also drive an upside grade when you're evaluating a prospect.

I remember reading a post about Farley regarding his soccer play and being kicked off I thought he had football written all over him after I read that post.

Otis !!!

Greg Bryant
Ishaq Williams

Both five stars... Brings the percentage down a bit... But good post, good info. Keep it coming!

ADVERTISEMENT