ADVERTISEMENT

And this week’s starting Buck is ......

Telx1

I've posted how many times?
May 13, 2012
My goodness, Lea uses his linebackers, and specifically the Buck, like a world famous orchestra maestro! Can’t recall ever having a DC at ND who alternated players at such a critical position based on their talents and the style of offense being defended against. We grew accustomed to these kinds of changes for the Navy game, but Lea is literally moving three or four guys in and out of The lineup at this one position, changing from week to week, and each seems to have excelled when given the chance. I thought Simon had secured the position off his performance against Clemson, and yet we saw Marist flying all over the place yesterday making plays, etc... A testament to Lea’s brilliance, but also to the attitude And readiness of these players.

Think there's been the other obvious "ingredient" to this which is who is actually available at times, but no doubt we have way more depth and flexibility now, and Lea is doing a masterful job of rotating them around.

I saw the same thing. The 3 star red shirt freshman kid from Hawaii would not be denied. He was all world on every play either harassing the QB or filling the gap.

Even at the HS level running a defense, my philosophy was "we need every swinging dick" Because as comfortable you are with your starting 11, the minute you start playing the "what if so and so goes down" Who do you we have?

It gets real scary real fast. Clark Lea was a rookie DC in 2018. And ND was hanging around late in the 1st half of the Cotton Bowl vs Clemson (trailing just 9-3) Julian Love goes down and BOOM! It is a 23-3 game and lights out at half time.

USF and UNC are clearly not Clemson, but when you look at the way Jack Kiser and Houston Griffith stepped in and played when injuries/suspension hit the Buck LB and Safety position. You can see ND has created some real depth.

The "Next Man In" slogan is just BS coach speak. Because if the "Next Man In" sucks and cannot play worth a crap...You are going to get embarrassed by good coaches and good teams real quick.

Next man in is also a philosophy by which players prepare and practice knowing that they could be available at a moments notice and have trained for that. So I disagree that is BS spiel. This team is exemplifying that as injuries have occurred and players step in and there is little to no dropoff in play. Years past,ND didn't have that kind of depth.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
My goodness, Lea uses his linebackers, and specifically the Buck, like a world famous orchestra maestro! Can’t recall ever having a DC at ND who alternated players at such a critical position based on their talents and the style of offense being defended against. We grew accustomed to these kinds of changes for the Navy game, but Lea is literally moving three or four guys in and out of The lineup at this one position, changing from week to week, and each seems to have excelled when given the chance. I thought Simon had secured the position off his performance against Clemson, and yet we saw Marist flying all over the place yesterday making plays, etc... A testament to Lea’s brilliance, but also to the attitude And readiness of these players.

Don't forget about Matt Ballis !! He is Clark Lea's Dr. Frankenstein !! He turns Clarks recruits into Monsters !!
The Irish are pounding teams into the dirt !!

Does Lea have a list of who must be in on passing downs? I thought I heard before one 3rd down ND substituted 5 players on D.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
I loved seeing Marist flying around making plays Friday. I think it was the Louisville game he was getting abused and out of position and his playing time was getting limited. I hope after Friday Lea will get him out there more.

ADVERTISEMENT