ADVERTISEMENT

Alohi

Quest4Twelve

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Aug 31, 2009
Is anyone else concerned about this recent 'reckless' style of play? I think Todd Lyght needs to sit him down and watch video of all the missed tackles, assignments etc he's had the last few weeks. He needs to dial it back and go back to the player he was last year.

Reactions: theskibro
Jalen and Gillman both had bonehead coverage mistakes you can't make with the way ND was playing. Kelly said pretty much that in his post game.

That to go with Gillmans poor tackling of late, hopefully some serious self scouting and reflection happens this week.

I've seen Alohi miss quite a few plays this year that it seemed like he made last year. Not sure if he's hurt or if he's just trying to do too much this year. Still appreciate him, but was expecting a little more from him this year.

Reactions: theskibro
Been saying this for weeks. His tackling has become atrocious.

He was never a perfect text book tackler. Little more hitter than tackler but now.....

All he wants to do is come up and try to kill the ball carrier.

When he absolutely has to tackle legit now he looks terrible doing it. Why? It's very clear he's not practicing it during the week.

There was a play Saturday where he HAD to tackle the ball carrier. I really mean legit tackle him. It was well within the trash so it wasn't out on the perimeter.

Anyways he comes up to tackle him and literally wound up on his knees on the turf while hanging on to the ball carriers legs looking like he's praying.

It wasn't like he was trying to tackle Bettis. The back was of average size.

This sloppy play has grown contagious really bad like and the fact it's been going on for WEEK(s) now is rather alarming.

I understand as the season wears on the kive tackling has to lighten but at this point they must do something. If that means a starter gets hurt oh well.....collectively they're tackling really bad.

Embarrassing tackling at times TBH

Any thoughts on his current draft status? No longer a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pick?
He was a surefire top 3 before the year started.

He might still be today given his physical ability but he's getting a dark cloud rep following him now as a bad tackler.

That can't help things

Said it in the game thread, his play up to the SC game was bad, but nothing like what we saw on Saturday. The film this week won't be kind to him, hopefully he turns it around.

My profile pic counts on it.

Said it in the game thread, his play up to the SC game was bad, but nothing like what we saw on Saturday. The film this week won't be kind to him, hopefully he turns it around.

My profile pic counts on it.
He's been my favorite defensive player in a very long time.

He was one of only a couple players who belonged in that Clemson playoff game.

He's gotten too arrogant and confident which always ties to a bit of laziness.

It takes real energy and effort text book tackle.

Anyone can fly up and administer a hit. Some harder than others.

Text book tackling requires a lot more effort.

That's just fact

Any thoughts on his current draft status? No longer a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pick?

I have no insight on this, but I completely believe he will be back next season. As stated by others, he's one of my favorites but no debating his trying to strip the ball every play. I think some of the success he had last year doing that has influenced his mental approach.

he needs to stop trying to tackle the ball and tackle the man. had a few piggyback rides from Steppe on Saturday.

Exactly, tackling the ball can create a few more turnovers but at what cost? If you are first to arrive on the scene, your primary job must be to secure the ball carrier, then if your defense is well coached and hustling, your buddies should be arriving shortly and let them dig, strip, and tug at the football.

Reactions: mbd11
ADVERTISEMENT