ADVERTISEMENT

All fall athletes getting extra year of eligibility

This could have a major impact on the 2021 recruiting class nationwide. Will the NCAA expand the number of scholarships allowed for next season?

This could have a major impact on the 2021 recruiting class nationwide. Will the NCAA expand the number of scholarships allowed for next season?

Heard something on the news about this, but did not catch it all. Said something like the scholarship limit would be adjusted to allow for the current recruits to come in, yet, the outgoing seniors as well....

Found this, but did not fully read it, but wanted to share.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ports-athletes-to-retain-year-of-eligibility/

An extra year would matter to most teams, but the bama, lsu, clemson, georgia, osu, this means nothing, they are going to lose the juniors that are NFL ready no matter what as they are only there until the 3 year draft rules kicks in. I hope this gives the irish a chance to stack their course load so they can concentrate more on football in 2021. It may give the irish a chance to have the same amount of training time against the football factories that don't require their football players to go to class as they are not student athletes.

How do schools losing 50- 100 million pick up the extra scholly tab for football players and the other Fall sport athletes ?

Noticed Iowa announced cutting 4 sports today.

How do you justify cutting sports and adding football scholarships ?

How do schools losing 50- 100 million pick up the extra scholly tab for football players and the other Fall sport athletes ?

Football is King. Easy

I'm glad they're cutting all these sports, it's fine by me. American universities do not need to be de facto Olympic training facilities, like hundreds of them dotting all over the country, for no particular reason that has anything to do with being college students or seats of learning.

They're not gonna drop football, or basketball, because they're profitable professional sports franchises piggybacking off the university like giant excrescences, and of course all the well-to-do suburbanite kids and their even weller-to-do alumnae parents like coming to the games ever so much. Besides, who doesn't love watching CFB?

But get rid of all the rest of the sports. I guess on account title IX, we'll have to keep, around say eight other womens sports going just to be a numerical match for football. And this way the players can get paid, because you won't have to foot the bill, for like fencing and shit.

Because it doesn't cost the school actual money, in real time, to give you a scholarship. Yes you fill an extra seat in a classroom that could be filled by someone else, but that's peanuts for the school in the long run, considering how much football usually profits for the University. It's an easy investment for them to justify and no money leaves their coffers, because all a scholarship does is take away from money they'll receive.

Without football, none of these other sports (except basketball) would exist. Notre Dame FOOTBALL profited $112 million dollars last year, after which it paid its expenses and the rest of the athletics departments, which meant none of the money for the sports had to come directly from the school. The remainder went into the school's coffers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86

The same way any school with over say $30 million dollars in annual athletic revenue justifies accepting a "donation."

Because it doesn't cost the school actual money, in real time, to give you a scholarship. Yes you fill an extra seat in a classroom that could be filled by someone else, but that's peanuts for the school in the long run, considering how much football usually profits for the University. It's an easy investment for them to justify and no money leaves their coffers, because all a scholarship does is take away from money they'll receive.

Without football, none of these other sports (except basketball) would exist. Notre Dame FOOTBALL profited $112 million dollars last year, after it paid its expenses and the rest of the athletics departments, which meant none of the money for the sports had to come directly from the school. The remainder went into the school's coffers.

+$112 million after expenses? I've heard some astounding figures but never like that. Are you sure you didn't read "net revenue?"

The same way any school with over say $30 million dollars in annual athletic revenue justifies accepting a "donation."

+$112 million after expenses? I've heard some astounding figures but never like that. Are you sure you didn't read "net revenue?"

Almost 100% sure it was profit. I'll find and link you to where I saw it.

Edit: I see the confusion. You're reading it right, but I typed it out improperly. Forgot the word "which"... I've edited it now.

Almost 100% sure it was profit. I'll find and link you to where I saw it.

Edit: I see the confusion. You're reading it right, but I typed it out improperly. Forgot the word "which"... I've edited it now.
That's kind of important. Plenty of lists rank the school's athletic revenue and the 1st tier is all over 100 million in annual revenue. That kind of money is not remotely necessary. So IF anyone wants to feel sorry for an athletic department it should be Div III school.

I'm glad they're cutting all these sports, it's fine by me. American universities do not need to be de facto Olympic training facilities, like hundreds of them dotting all over the country, for no particular reason that has anything to do with being college students or seats of learning.

They're not gonna drop football, or basketball, because they're profitable professional sports franchises piggybacking off the university like giant excrescences, and of course all the well-to-do suburbanite kids and their even weller-to-do alumnae parents like coming to the games ever so much. Besides, who doesn't love watching CFB?

But get rid of all the rest of the sports. I guess on account title IX, we'll have to keep, around say eight other womens sports going just to be a numerical match for football. And this way the players can get paid, because you won't have to foot the bill, for like fencing and shit.

Congrats !

Stupidest post I've ever read on this board .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT