ADVERTISEMENT

Al Golden

IrishBeer

Posts Like A Champion
Dec 6, 2021
I expect the D to be way better. Freeman said the other day that Golden is a better D coordinator than he was. Big issue vs Ok State was lack of adjustments in the second half. I don’t think we lose that game if AG is the d coordinator. The other missing piece was the bonehead decision to leave Tyler out of the game. Those two changes and we win.

Last edited:
I expect them to be better because we have more young talent and more experience. I don't know much about Al, have never seen him as a DC.

Hope you are right. I can't imagine a guy who was a HC and an NFL coordinator would not be good. MF sure waited for him.

New to site so first, allow me to thank all for the opportunity to discuss ND football! As for Golden, it demonstrates the sensibility Freeman has in recognizing he can't overextend himself, eliminate his natural tendency to focus on the D while not engaging with the O and ST. Of all the changes he's made, bringing in Golden to me, is the most significant. Former successful HC and Coordinator, pro experience, allowing Freeman to rely on and use as a sounding board as well as incorporating his own concepts. Not to mention the fact, by all accounts, he "gets ND" and satisfies the recruiting criteria Freeman has established. We may need a game or two find our footing but completely confident as the season progresses, the team will improve on a week to week basis.

New to site so first, allow me to thank all for the opportunity to discuss ND football! As for Golden, it demonstrates the sensibility Freeman has in recognizing he can't overextend himself, eliminate his natural tendency to focus on the D while not engaging with the O and ST. Of all the changes he's made, bringing in Golden to me, is the most significant. Former successful HC and Coordinator, pro experience, allowing Freeman to rely on and use as a sounding board as well as incorporating his own concepts. Not to mention the fact, by all accounts, he "gets ND" and satisfies the recruiting criteria Freeman has established. We may need a game or two find our footing but completely confident as the season progresses, the team will improve on a week to week basis.
Welcome! Glad to have you here.

Reactions: jbarry623
Way better? The team was basically excellent all year, absolutely including the defense which sort of carried the team for different parts of the season. I think what you meant to say is that the defense will hopefully be just as good, and if things go well enough there's no reason to expect much of a drop-off. And if we're really lucky maybe even a little better.... That's what a normal person would say. Again, because there's nowhere much to go but down, considering how strong the program is in all respects right now.

And as far as MF not overextending himself, or whatever that means exactly.... Just don't F it up. If Rees is not up to the job, and the offense flounders, I'm not sure what good MF is going to do about it. He could engage with the offense, but is there any reason to think he would fix things in that event? Maybe, I suppose... Two heads are better than one I guess..... But he's not an offensive guy, and unless he has some comprehensive overarching philosophy that he can resort to, I'm not sure what 'engaging' would even accomplish. Engaging with the defense if necessary is at least something he can do from a position of strength....

And as far the cultish obsession of whether or not MF 'gets' ND, I would imagine that would have no bearing on the team's success on the field, and if anything, all the gestures, and nods to the hardcore fanbase cult would mainly serve as distractions, and inconveniences for the team, and would only take away from their readiness/preparedness. So that's really more of a potential negative than anything else....

So the best thing MF can do, outside of recruiting of course.... is just coach them up pretty good during the week, instill the necessary and suitable discipline as an ongoing thing, and put them through their paces well enough, so they have good, worthwhile practices, and are reasonably well-prepared. I'm not counting on any particular strategic/tactical wizardry.....

"That's what a normal person would say."--Pretty sure that you should not be the arbiter of this. Also "just coach them up and put them through the paces" is pretty fatuous even for you. What happened to you? You used to be a blow-hard with content. Now you are just a blow-hard,

"That's what a normal person would say."--Pretty sure that you should not be the arbiter of this. Also "just coach them up and put them through the paces" is pretty fatuous even for you. What happened to you? You used to be a blow-hard with content. Now you are just a blow-hard,
I totally would. I'm the perfect arbiter. Just because I go off on you trash, doesn't make me abnormal. Like I've attempted to communicate to you guys, everybody thinks that you are trash.... Even your peers, hardcore lifer very conservative football fans from other teams, pretty much think you guys are delusional trash. To say nothing of the rest of the wider world.

And one of your most outstanding character traits is how delusional you are. Nobody really knows for sure what goes on in your ant brains, but from what we gather and glean from what we observe on the surface, watching you guys live, is that you're quite delusional. And you believe what you want to believe, as the saying goes. I'm sure if I could stay a day in your brain, I would have a better handle on the various nuances in the way you guys function, and I might well find the truth is you're not really delusional, rather that you're just liars, and you're full of shit. Intellectual dishonesty is sort of the fancy phrase for that.

And so you pretty much have one thing you prioritize, some people call that the 'big lie'.... In this case it was the big witch burning, the auto da fe, e-lynching, pick your metaphor.... of our erstwhile coach. And everything else, all the rest of your worthless opinions that you impotently wield, have to be molded around that as necessary. So, naturally, you are overly, unreasonably, and I would say pretty flatly dishonestly optimistic about MF. And your opinions about how rosy everything is, are in bad faith. And you don't really think that. But you just lie and act like you do.

Which is what you basically do all the time now. Do you think people can't tell when your phony baloney opinions ring totally hollow??? As if people have no ability or intuition to tell when someone's speaking falsely? I got news for you, buddy... we do! We can tell, other people can tell how full of shit you are. Hate to break to you. And you're not fooling anyone. When you carry on like this, you're banking on nobody calling you out, and for the most part, when you self-segregate into your online safe spaces, nobody will call you out. And you guys just get deeper and deeper in your rabbit holes....

I'm just this one dude, who loved BK, and for good reason considering what a great coach he was, who doesn't feel like letting you get away with it.....

Confused about who you’re responding to.

Reactions: Kontiki09
Last years D was fools gold. We looked great vs miserable offenses and looked terrible vs offenses with a pulse. We were lucky enough to mostly play miserable offenses.

If Clarence Lewis roles out as starter you’ll know we don’t have a high ceiling. You can’t have a corner that bad playing all game. We probably won’t be as bad as I don’t expect our lbs to be so bad.

Last edited:
I totally would. I'm the perfect arbiter. Just because I go off on you trash, doesn't make me abnormal. Like I've attempted to communicate to you guys, everybody thinks that you are trash.... Even your peers, hardcore lifer very conservative football fans from other teams, pretty much think you guys are delusional trash. To say nothing of the rest of the wider world.

And one of your most outstanding character traits is how delusional you are. Nobody really knows for sure what goes on in your ant brains, but from what we gather and glean from what we observe on the surface, watching you guys live, is that you're quite delusional. And you believe what you want to believe, as the saying goes. I'm sure if I could stay a day in your brain, I would have a better handle on the various nuances in the way you guys function, and I might well find the truth is you're not really delusional, rather that you're just liars, and you're full of shit. Intellectual dishonesty is sort of the fancy phrase for that.

And so you pretty much have one thing you prioritize, some people call that the 'big lie'.... In this case it was the big witch burning, the auto da fe, e-lynching, pick your metaphor.... of our erstwhile coach. And everything else, all the rest of your worthless opinions that you impotently wield, have to be molded around that as necessary. So, naturally, you are overly, unreasonably, and I would say pretty flatly dishonestly optimistic about MF. And your opinions about how rosy everything is, are in bad faith. And you don't really think that. But you just lie and act like you do.

Which is what you basically do all the time now. Do you think people can't tell when your phony baloney opinions ring totally hollow??? As if people have no ability or intuition to tell when someone's speaking falsely? I got news for you, buddy... we do! We can tell, other people can tell how full of shit you are. Hate to break to you. And you're not fooling anyone. When you carry on like this, you're banking on nobody calling you out, and for the most part, when you self-segregate into your online safe spaces, nobody will call you out. And you guys just get deeper and deeper in your rabbit holes....

I'm just this one dude, who loved BK, and for good reason considering what a great coach he was, who doesn't feel like letting you get away with it.....
Kook...

Reactions: Golson5
His credentials are certainly impressive.

Not sure that I agree with IrishBeer’s conclusions.

Crafting defensive strategies and adjusting as the game evolves will be critical

I’ll withhold judgement until I see a few games

Last years D was fools gold. We looked great vs miserable offenses and looked terrible vs offenses with a pulse. We were lucky enough to mostly play miserable offenses.

mid Clarence Lewis roles out as starter you’ll know we don’t have a high ceiling. You can’t have a corner that bad playing all game. We probably won’t be as bad as I don’t expect our lbs to be so bad.
I was surprised at the poor tackling and lack of discipline at times. Your right some teams on our schedule the defense looked great but the opponent was unranked. I would like to see a return to the fundamentals of tackling this year and the CB actually knowing where the ball is when it's in the air.

Let's see him perform in a game b4 we crown him. I think he will be good but we will see. He seems to be thrilled to be here.

Reactions: Kelso86

You’re a damn good wordsmith, I’ll grant you that. But I don’t think you really believe all the stuff you post. It’s damn fun to read, but you don’t believe it, and we don’t either. This is a great board, and generally a great group of fans…..that’s why you keep coming back!

You’ve had some solid “football-focused” posts. Do it more!!!

I was surprised at the poor tackling and lack of discipline at times. Your right some teams on our schedule the defense looked great but the opponent was unranked. I would like to see a return to the fundamentals of tackling this year and the CB actually knowing where the ball is when it's in the air.
I trust Golden to tighten those things up. MF, thus far, has been damn good in the HC/CEO role. Let Golden handle the nuts and bolts of the defense.

His credentials are certainly impressive.

Not sure that I agree with IrishBeer’s conclusions.

Crafting defensive strategies and adjusting as the game evolves will be critical

I’ll withhold judgement until I see a few games

From what I’ve heard, we didn’t do much adjusting at all if any until half last year. Apparently, from what I’ve heard, Golden has them adjusting mid possessions. I’m not a defensive genius or anything, just what I heard.

From what I’ve heard, we didn’t do much adjusting at all if any until half last year. Apparently, from what I’ve heard, Golden has them adjusting mid possessions. I’m not a defensive genius or anything, just what I heard.
If you're going to steal everything from Driskell and his podcast, when you say just what I heard, at least say it's from him

ADVERTISEMENT