ADVERTISEMENT

Advice on parking / things to do on gameday

Jan 18, 2017
Coming up for my first gameday in South Bend in November following two days in Chicago. Rented a house about 4 miles from stadium but was looking at advice on best places for parking closer to stadium (would purchase in advance if recommended), restaurants, things to check out on gameday. I'm coming with a group of 7 only 4 of which are going into game (we have a 2 year old who's not going to make a night game) but everyone would be interested in checking out the gameday atmosphere. Thanks for any advice.

Reactions: tbonesays
Coming up for my first gameday in South Bend in November following two days in Chicago. Rented a house about 4 miles from stadium but was looking at advice on best places for parking closer to stadium (would purchase in advance if recommended), restaurants, things to check out on gameday. I'm coming with a group of 7 only 4 of which are going into game (we have a 2 year old who's not going to make a night game) but everyone would be interested in checking out the gameday atmosphere. Thanks for any advice.

What game are you going to, I have a Clemson parking pass that I don’t think I’m going to use

I got one of those park yourself vehicles! great for events! we pulled up right in front - got out - and went to the event, when wecame out the vehicle picked us up right where it left us off!

Game Day Info

It will likely be cold. Do you like to tailgate in the cold? If so pick up a parking pass for the Joyce or Stadium lot on Friday night or Saturday morning. Park your car early for a better spot and come back to it later to actually tailgate. You should be able to grab one from one of the scalpers standing out front of O'Rourke's Public House. If Big Jeff is still around (worry about his health as he is BIG) great guy and he will get you what you need. Just set a budget for a parking pass as they can be expensive but negotiable.

If you just want to wander around the various tailgates then bring a cooler you don't mind leaving in a bush to see if it is still there later if you like to enjoy a cold beverage or two. Tailgates will be very welcoming and you will meet lots of friendly people.

Some below is better done on Friday but if only in town Saturday see below.

Visit the Basillica

Visit the bookstore...though I recommend you do this on Friday afternoon (earlier is better) as campus is fairly quiet at 12 noon on Friday but is busy by 5:00 PM as people roll in.

Grotto - Sun will set early around 6:00 so if you are in town on Friday wander over to the Grotto for a prayer and light a candle. If not there until Saturday still go by during the day or on your way out of the stadium after a ND victory.

Stadium / Tunnel Experience - FRIDAY only
Walk out the tunnel to field level...take some pictures....enjoy

Trumpets Under the Dome in administration building - get there early for a front row seat....Friday is best as Saturday it is outside at 5:30 ....actually scrap that...its outside on Friday as well...COVID I suppose. Not called Trumpets at the Dome

Inside experience below

Big 10 Rugby semi-finals Friday night on Campus if there.

If it's cold and or raining I suggest stopping into O'Rourkes at Eddy Street Commons for some warmth and to watch some other games while enjoying some food and drink.

Have fun.....I prefer the warmer weather games. Walk the campus...grab a steak sandwich from the Knights of Columbus on Campus....

If in town Friday night I like Fiddler's hearth in Downtown South Bend....live Irish music and good pub food.

Cheers! Go Irish

Clemson game
I’m almost certain I’m not using my parking pass … I can no longer go to the game and my daughters are going and will be riding with a friend. Not sure how to reach you but I’d be happy to e-transfer it to you and save you some $ and then you can park on campus and walk … the general admission White Lot is a pain to return to after the game when everyone is getting on the bus at the same time and hard to walk at night in the dark … LMK

Reactions: 1Redrum
I’m almost certain I’m not using my parking pass … I can no longer go to the game and my daughters are going and will be riding with a friend. Not sure how to reach you but I’d be happy to e-transfer it to you and save you some $ and then you can park on campus and walk … the general admission White Lot is a pain to return to after the game when everyone is getting on the bus at the same time and hard to walk at night in the dark … LMK
you are a great guy! a very generous offer.

Yes certainly if your not using I'm definitely looking for somewhere to park walking distance to stadium.

What a gentleman!

Reactions: d1042
Game Day Info

It will likely be cold. Do you like to tailgate in the cold? If so pick up a parking pass for the Joyce or Stadium lot on Friday night or Saturday morning. Park your car early for a better spot and come back to it later to actually tailgate. You should be able to grab one from one of the scalpers standing out front of O'Rourke's Public House. If Big Jeff is still around (worry about his health as he is BIG) great guy and he will get you what you need. Just set a budget for a parking pass as they can be expensive but negotiable.

If you just want to wander around the various tailgates then bring a cooler you don't mind leaving in a bush to see if it is still there later if you like to enjoy a cold beverage or two. Tailgates will be very welcoming and you will meet lots of friendly people.

Some below is better done on Friday but if only in town Saturday see below.

Visit the Basillica

Visit the bookstore...though I recommend you do this on Friday afternoon (earlier is better) as campus is fairly quiet at 12 noon on Friday but is busy by 5:00 PM as people roll in.

Grotto - Sun will set early around 6:00 so if you are in town on Friday wander over to the Grotto for a prayer and light a candle. If not there until Saturday still go by during the day or on your way out of the stadium after a ND victory.

Stadium / Tunnel Experience - FRIDAY only
Walk out the tunnel to field level...take some pictures....enjoy

Trumpets Under the Dome in administration building - get there early for a front row seat....Friday is best as Saturday it is outside at 5:30 ....actually scrap that...its outside on Friday as well...COVID I suppose. Not called Trumpets at the Dome

Inside experience below

Big 10 Rugby semi-finals Friday night on Campus if there.

If it's cold and or raining I suggest stopping into O'Rourkes at Eddy Street Commons for some warmth and to watch some other games while enjoying some food and drink.

Have fun.....I prefer the warmer weather games. Walk the campus...grab a steak sandwich from the Knights of Columbus on Campus....

If in town Friday night I like Fiddler's hearth in Downtown South Bend....live Irish music and good pub food.

Cheers! Go Irish
My phone got hacked at O'Rourkes. Don't sign onto their guest wifi.

Reactions: 1Redrum
ADVERTISEMENT