ADVERTISEMENT

ACC considering a 3-5-5 football model.

scubastevefl

I've posted how many times?
Dec 9, 2006
ACC is mulling each member playing three fixed opponents, rotating five and five over a two year period to play schools more often and eliminate divisions. There was no mention of how or if this would effect ND’s ACC at all, doesn’t appear it would.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbonesays
Seems like a good change to me. I get why divisions are helpful in theory, but in practice they often put the 4th or 5th best team in a conference into its championship game.

I think the ACC wanted to go divisionless but was show down by the ncaa (read Bug and $EC)

ACC is mulling each member playing three fixed opponents, rotating five and five over a two year period to play schools more often and eliminate divisions. There was no mention of how or if this would effect ND’s ACC at all, doesn’t appear it would.
"There was no mention of how or if this would effect ND’s ACC at all, doesn’t appear it would."

Would be of little to zero impact to ND -- we are still obligated to play 5-6 teams a year -- that won't change.

"There was no mention of how or if this would effect ND’s ACC at all, doesn’t appear it would."

Would be of little to zero impact to ND -- we are still obligated to play 5-6 teams a year -- that won't change.
Only play 4 this year, and I'm not complaining.

Reactions: Kelso86 and 88ND
I think the ACC wanted to go divisionless but was show down by the ncaa (read Bug and $EC)
From the article on this over at ESPN: "Earlier this week, the NCAA Football Oversight Committee recommended conferences no longer be required to have divisions to hold a conference championship game. The Division I Council is set to vote on it later this month, when it is expected to pass."

Reactions: tbonesays
From the article on this over at ESPN: "Earlier this week, the NCAA Football Oversight Committee recommended conferences no longer be required to have divisions to hold a conference championship game. The Division I Council is set to vote on it later this month, when it is expected to pass."
The entire idea of 'divisions' was imperialized from the NFL and antithetical to college football. It means that traditional rivals, sometimes of 100+ years, are replaced on the schedule by basketball schools that happen to sit in a large media market.

Reactions: Juniper_Run
The entire idea of 'divisions' was imperialized from the NFL and antithetical to college football. It means that traditional rivals, sometimes of 100+ years, are replaced on the schedule by basketball schools that happen to sit in a large media market.
Imperialized from the NFL?? Wow, I didn't know that was a thing, I didn't know you could do that...

Anyway, ND fans hate CCGs purely for self-interested reasons, though it is occasionally interesting to see the various bits of reasoning and justification supporting that position, be they cockamamie, or usually just sort of sentimental.... Almost never particularly compelling or cogent. Personally, I don't really give a shit. I just want a proper playoff with automatic bids for conference champs. They can have a CCG to award the bid, or figure out some other way. Like with these pods....

But I guess the prospect of a future with no CCGs is going to be construed as a significant positive, in ND's ongoing mission from god to keep their treasured and cherished independence.....

Hey S&S, that picture on your profile of BK. Does it strangely remind you of the picture of a sad clown?

I don't know why, not picking on your choice, but every time i see that picture on the internet or your profile that song "send in the clowns" pops into my head.

Could be just me, its just like Mayor Lori Lightfoot. I also think she looks just like beatle juice and that "day light comes and i want to go home"

sad-clown-wide.jpg

Hey S&S, that picture on your profile of BK. Does it strangely remind you of the picture of a sad clown?

I don't know why, not picking on your choice, but every time i see that picture on the internet or your profile that song "send in the clowns" pops into my head.

Could be just me, its just like Mayor Lori Lightfoot. I also think she looks just like beatle juice and that "day light comes and i want to go home"
Yeah, man.... totally. Good call, no GREAT call. Only a ND fan, a BK-hating, or at least a fellow traveler, would ever think of that, would ever see that, would ever discern that possible visible similarity.... But like a good, traditional, sentimental, hardcore lifer ND fan you see Red Skelton and the sad clown... I'm guessing that the famous sad clown imagery is a running motif in the inner mental worlds of a lot conservative ND fans, and it pops up everywhere, the way like.... christians are always seeing the image of Jesus in random everyday objects.

But I suppose in a way that's mainly pure coincidence as BK is supposed to be looking sort of tough in that photo.... I guess it kinda does resemble BK's dour visage in my little avatar picture. And classic, absolutely classic that you would spot that improbable resemblance. I don't know where that photo of BK originated, but it's sweet as hell. Better than the stupid boring old Red Skelton picture. I'll never take it down in any case.

Yeah, man.... totally. Good call, no GREAT call. Only a ND fan, a BK-hating, or at least a fellow traveler, would ever think of that, would ever see that, would ever discern that possible visible similarity.... But like a good, traditional, sentimental, hardcore lifer ND fan you see Red Skelton and the sad clown... I'm guessing that the famous sad clown imagery is a running motif in the inner mental worlds of a lot conservative ND fans, and it pops up everywhere, the way like.... christians are always seeing the image of Jesus in random everyday objects.

But I suppose in a way that's mainly pure coincidence as BK is supposed to be looking sort of tough in that photo.... I guess it kinda does resemble BK's dour visage in my little avatar picture. And classic, absolutely classic that you would spot that improbable resemblance. I don't know where that photo of BK originated, but it's sweet as hell. Better than the stupid boring old Red Skelton picture. I'll never take it down in any case.
That's Emmett Kelly not Vincennes, Indiana's own Red Skelton.

Count me in as one of those fans that aren't fond of conference championship games. A team that wins an outright regular conference championship are the champions.

Reactions: sluggo69
I think it’s the frown and the tones. Weird. Like I said, maybe just me. No offense intended.

Red was the man! My mom’s family is from Lawrenceville IL. All my cousins and aunts are still there. So they were big fans and we watched him all the time growing and up.

Reactions: irishalice
I think it’s the frown and the tones. Weird. Like I said, maybe just me. No offense intended.

Red was the man! My mom’s family is from Lawrenceville IL. All my cousins and aunts are still there. So they were big fans and we watched him all the time growing and up.
My reply was for the resident blowhard of the board.
Lawrenceville is just a stone's throw over the Wabash. You can get there by either the Memorial Bridge or the Red Skelton Bridge.
And I still think Conference Championship games in football are stupid. 🙂

Wow, so you really do like Red Skelton? Well there you go, then.....

The division system started when a bunch of schools out west decades ago created a 16 team conference and asked the NCAA to accept a plan to have an "extra" game as a conference champ game. The NCAA created the the system of two divisions of 6 or more teams each where each division played a round robin and the division winners can play for a conference championship. That conference did not last long and the NCAA ruling became fairly obscure. In the early 90's, then SEC commish Kramer found that ruling and used it to help create a 12 team conference that would follow those rules. The SEC needed two more teams (Arkansas and S Carolina) and they had to go from a 7 game conference schedule to an 8. Several SEC programs such as UF strongly opposed. Spurrier said it was silly because you can have a team with losses outside the conference but then can make it into the conf champ game as only conference games counted to get into the champ game. In its first year, undefeated 11-0 Alabama played 8-3 UF. You just can't make it up. Had UF won that game, Bama would not have gone on to win the national championship.

When the ACC petitioned to get rid of divisions years ago, they refused to disclose what their new system would be for a conf champ game. B10 thought they were doing something under the table to get ND to join the ACC for football (you dudes always seem to scare the heck out of that conference) and the SEC was wary as well. So that is why it was voted down.

And here we are. The ACC has too many members that don't have the "football first" mantra and the divisions never really worked well.

Wow, so you really do like Red Skelton? Well there you go, then.....

I was pretty young. The humor was time appropriate. Probably more found memories of when my parents were around. I know my mother always took some pride when she saw him mentioned on TV as he was local.

My time was more Pryor and Murphy.

Reactions: irishalice
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT