ADVERTISEMENT

A Way to the dance..?

I hope the SEC dumb butts slaughter each other over the next two months The same goes for the big turds too. ND needs to continue taking care of business and then we'll see what happens. I would rather see ND play in the college playoffs than beat up a weak ACC opponent in the Orange Bowl any day.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
as a former player i find the question insulting. I will always choose the opportunity to win a championship.
I’m a former athlete too. Mid Major college basketball. No reason to be insulted.

I’m simply asked the question. I didn’t call anyone out or shove my opinion down anyone’s throat.

“The way Hurts is playing they aren't leaving them out of the playoff”

Funny how there’s a microscope on certain qbs and others get their mistakes and bad decisions and/or throws get swept under the rug by some here. I watched every play of that game and if book had played the game that hurts did against Texas, he’d be drawn & quartered by some of you. That’s if you were using the same microscope, that doesn’t always happen on this board. He made some plays w/ his feet but was just average at best throwing the ball. Had it not been for ceedee lamb, they lose. That guy should be in the heisman race, he’s one the best players, forget wrs, in the country.

I think a 2 loss team where the 2nd loss is incurred in a CCG should be equally considered with ND.

no toss up
Pretty simple really.
SEC Champion guaranteed a spot.
Clemson guaranteed a spot. (They aren't losing with that schedule)
Big 10 Champion guaranteed a spot. (Wisconsin or Ohio State aren't losing 2 games)
PAC 12 is out already.
It comes down to Oklahoma, Notre Dame and maybe a second SEC team.
Oklahoma needs to lose a game before the Big 12 championship game otherwise they are in over ND. If Oklahoma loses before then i believe ND is next in line, unless the 1 loss team is LSU and their only loss is to Bama. Then its a toss up. LSU at 11-1 vs Notre Dame at 11-1.

no toss up LSU would be far more deserving!

“The way Hurts is playing they aren't leaving them out of the playoff”

Funny how there’s a microscope on certain qbs and others get their mistakes and bad decisions and/or throws get swept under the rug by some here. I watched every play of that game and if book had played the game that hurts did against Texas, he’d be drawn & quartered by some of you. That’s if you were using the same microscope, that doesn’t always happen on this board. He made some plays w/ his feet but was just average at best throwing the ball. Had it not been for ceedee lamb, they lose. That guy should be in the heisman race, he’s one the best players, forget wrs, in the country.

I thought Hurts and Book had similar games. Hurts just has talent book doesn't. Hurts had his legs praised as did book vs usc. Difference is hurts went for 131 yards rushing, book for 49.

Yes Lamb is a stud. Hurts has a bad game but still ends up with 366 total yards and 4 TDs.

Oklahoma hasn't played a good D yet. We're waiting for book to have a good passing game vs a good D. He'll obviously get his shot off a bye vs Michigan. Also i'll give him props if he throws the ball well at Duke and Stanford.

Book threw so many passes vs USC that were caught and or dropped around the LOS that had no chance to gain a single yard after the catch. It was mind numbing. Is that the play call, bad read by book? Judging off of Kelly I think it's a bit of both but more book. When coaches start talking about QBs leading teams to win and not their abilities, it's a good sign for the team/program, but not a good sign for the QB. The only game kelly was complimentary of book passing the ball was after Bowling Green, yep, bowling green.

I'll say this, if we continue playing Finke or Javon in two WR sets as the second WR, chase will constantly get safety help over the top, and our passing game to WRs will struggle. Someone outside has to be better than those two. Javon is just too slow and can't get separation. Book isn't going to throw jump balls.

For example I absolutely believe the committee will hold last year against us. They will say it won’t but I believe if LSU has 1 loss and were 11-1 we are out. Probably for some other reasons too but say next year we come off a ny6 bowl win we wouldn’t be as easy to dismiss. JMO

1-loss LSU gets in over 1-loss ND, and it has nothing to do with last year. 1-loss Clemson getting in over 1-loss ND would likely have something to do with previous years.

1-loss LSU gets in over 1-loss ND, and it has nothing to do with last year. 1-loss Clemson getting in over 1-loss ND would likely have something to do with previous years.
It all depends on who and how the 1 loss happens. ND has one loss when they had a shot to win at the end in the most hostile environment that will be played in this year.

LSU loses a tight one to Bama or in the SEC championship then yeah they probably get in over ND, but I don't see CLemson getting in over ND with a loss, they will be favored by more than double digits in every game. Probably close to 20+ in every game

try convincing UGA fans ND should get in! ND gets a spot by virtue of?
make-a case!
LSU loses to Bama in a CCG! ND gets a birth?
make a case!
Bama loses in CCG samething, make a case!
Oklahoma, same thing

Oregon finishes p12 champ with 1 loss! and ND fans think ND is more deserving? make the case!

make-a case!
make a case!
Oklahoma, same thing

Oregon finishes p12 champ with 1 loss! and ND fans think ND is more deserving? make the case!
Watch this....... watch this........ watch this. Unless your team is unhealthy (stud player out most likely QB). If you lose your conference championship game on a neutral site, you just showed you aren't even the best team in your conference. losing on a neutral site is worse than losing at someone else's house, at night, crazy environment if both teams are equal. LSU loses to Georgia on neutral site you think it is a better loss than ND losing to Georgia, in athens at night?

Watch this....... watch this........ watch this. Unless your team is unhealthy (stud player out most likely QB). If you lose your conference championship game on a neutral site, you just showed you aren't even the best team in your conference. losing on a neutral site is worse than losing at someone else's house, at night, crazy environment if both teams are equal. LSU loses to Georgia on neutral site you think it is a better loss than ND losing to Georgia, in athens at night?

so play a weak schedule and don’t join a conference is you argument?
Wow!

make-a case!
make a case!
Oklahoma, same thing

LSU can't lose to Bama in CCG. They are in the same division.
Pac 12 is out period. Winning that conference means nothing. The other teams you mentioned will get in over ND with one loss.

LSU can't lose to Bama in CCG. They are in the same division.
Pac 12 is out period. Winning that conference means nothing. The other teams you mentioned will get in over ND with one loss.

Bama and LSU can both be 1 loss teams then.

make-a case!
make a case!
Oklahoma, same thing

Lsu cant lose to bama on ccg bc they play in the same division

We would get in over oklahoma possibly because their schedule is weak aswell. Toss up there.

Oregon is a toss up as well

I think a 2 loss team where the 2nd loss is incurred in a CCG should be equally considered with ND.
Your statement would be correct if instead of saying "should" you had stated "might be... depending on the circumstances" as in:

"I think a 2 loss team where the 2nd loss is incurred in a CCG might be equally considered with ND depending on the quality of their 2 losses."

Fortunately, the CFB playoff committee does not view CCGs as the end-all-be-all as most talking heads at ESPN and the rest of sports media do. The committee has repeatedly said CCGs might be used for 2 things:

1. Primarily, it might be used as an extra data point if the opponent a team beats is a quality opponent (last year Pitt didn't give CU much of a perception boost in their CCG and Northwestern didn't give OSU much of a boost either).
  2. It can be used as a tiebreaker if two highly ranked teams are equally regarded.
The last point is where most of the talking heads get things wrong and they do it EVERY year despite the fact the committee keeps insisting CCGs aren't factored in unless they absolutely have to. The talking heads can't seem to grasp this concept. They keep saying things like "the committee has repeatedly shown they value conference champions." No, they don't... not unless they have to and they've seldom had to.

The easy thing for the committee to do would be to declare all the highly ranked teams to be tied and then just award playoff spots to the top conference champions but they have never done that. They try to come up with the 4 best teams primarily based on resume and eye-test and avoid ties as much as they can. And again, ESPN has never accepted that. They keep pretending the committee believes in something else. This year, they started advancing the myth early on and especially after ND's loss to UGA. In particular, Jonathan Vilma (he isn't the only one) has repeatedly said ND definitely won't get in the playoff specifically because they aren't in a conference and he cited last year as the perfect example as to why. He said even after ND finished the year undefeated there was still a big debate about whether or not they belonged over conference champions like OSU or OU or even SEC runner-up Georgia. The problem with that thinking was it wasn't true. The so-called debate was only happenig among sports personalities. It wasn't happening within the CFB selection committee because they had no doubt ND belonged. After the final rankings came out, ESPN asked committee chair, Rob Mullens, if there was a debate regarding spots 3 and 4 since it was assumed Bama and CU were the only locks. Mullens unequivocally said the only debate was spot 4 because ND was solidly in. Spot 4 was debated because it was a rare situation where CCG was used to break a tie and OU won out over OSU and UGA because they won their CCG and their one loss wasn't as bad as OSU's.

Bottom line: we really need to retire this myth that CCGs are the most important factor in making the playoff.

Having said all that, in no way am I saying ND has a good shot at making the playoffs this year. Right now, I think our chances are slim. Our schedule appears to be too weak. Having a 13th game against a quality opponent might have helped a little but probably not enough because, unless some of our opponents go on a tear, which is possible but not probable, we likely won't have played many ranked teams at the end of the year. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm giving up. I'll continue to root for chaos because it's way too early to throw in the towel.

Reactions: Ara64
CCG = 2 highly ranked teams competing, head to head
No CCG = sitting home letting two good teams battle providing you a free pass!

Pretending CCGs are the most import thing = dismissing what happens during the regular season.
Pretending CCGs are the most important thing = pretending all CCG will be played by 2 highly ranked opponents.
Pretending CCGs are the most important thing = pretending all P5 conferences have the same quality of teams.

Pretending CCGs are the most import thing = dismissing what happens during the regular season.
Pretending CCGs are the most important thing = pretending all CCG will be played by 2 highly ranked opponents.
Pretending CCGs are the most important thing = pretending all P5 conferences have the same quality of teams.

you keep telling yourself that

If bama loses to LSU and doesnt win their division...they dont have much on their schedule to hold their hats on

A 1 loss Penn State would have more on their resume if the loss is a close one to Ohio St than we do.

A win over UM----road win at Iowa----road win at Mich St-----road win at Minnesota.

It's a better resume than ours IMO.

The true nightmare could be Ohio St beats Wisc in regular season and finishes 12-0. Loses to Wisc in Big Ten Title game.

Both finish 12-1----both could get in

This won't apply to the ACC or PAC-12 this year. Possibly the Big 12 too. There have definitely been recent seasons for the Big 10 when they didn't have 2 highly ranked teams in their CCG either.

The biggest benefit we'd get from being in a conference this year is the chance to take down Clemson on the field. (not saying I think we would beat them in a CCG, but we would have the opportunity).

This won't apply to the ACC or PAC-12 this year. Possibly the Big 12 too. There have definitely been recent seasons for the Big 10 when they didn't have 2 highly ranked teams in their CCG either.

The biggest benefit we'd get from being in a conference this year is the chance to take down Clemson on the field. (not saying I think we would beat them in a CCG, but we would have the opportunity).

IF Oregon wins out they will have a far far more impressive resume than ND!

tOSU and Wisc likewise.

Far, far more impressive is a stretch. And they’re not going to play a highly ranked team in their CCG.

Probably Utah. Better than anyone on the ND schedule. Plus, they will playing not sitting.

A 1 loss Penn State would have more on their resume if the loss is a close one to Ohio St than we do.

A win over UM----road win at Iowa----road win at Mich St-----road win at Minnesota.

It's a better resume than ours IMO.

The true nightmare could be Ohio St beats Wisc in regular season and finishes 12-0. Loses to Wisc in Big Ten Title game.

Both finish 12-1----both could get in
Our win against Michigan would be better as Michigan is home. Iowa Minnesota Mich st.....Lol. thats garbage. Not saying we have a lot but that is trash. I think Sc would beat any of those teams. Stanford Virginia Duke Louisville just as good as mich st

We must beat Michigan...
And they must beat PSU this weekend.
USC beats Oregon.
Ohio State has a tough slate of Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State...

Anybody much smarter than me wanna keep going with this....

The road is a tough one for the Irish.... The Michigan game is going to be hard one.

Michigan is bad. If we don’t beat them by 20 we should not be in the conversation. OSU will crush UM. Big is bad and only OSU is a playoff team

I do not see any way we get in this year. We had our shot against UGA and played safe in second half n lost. We do not deserve to be in top 5.

Michigan is bad. If we don’t beat them by 20 we should not be in the conversation. OSU will crush UM. Big is bad and only OSU is a playoff team

I do not see any way we get in this year. We had our shot against UGA and played safe in second half n lost. We do not deserve to be in top 5.

playoffs or not, let’s say ND finishes
Top 6 ! that’s friggin awesome!
Top 8 is great!
Top 10 is still outstanding!

20 at their place at night. Don't see it.

Just being honest, I don't think we have the offensive weapons or the head coach to compete against Bama/Clemson/Ohio State/Oklahoma with a month layoff between games. Just hoping we win out and somehow draw an alluring matchup in a NY6 bowl, though there don't appear to be many great possibilities there. All we can do is go 11-1 and let the chips fall where they may.

X2.

It’s all subjective but I think the example of Clemson getting over the hump is a powerful one at least enough to say hey if we don’t treat it like a consolation it can be used as a tool to get us where we eventually want to go.
i'm talking about what the game IS. No one is questioning how it is treated or approached. the poster suggested that ND playing and winning a NY6 bowl game is better than making the playoff and losing. can't see how anyone who has ever competed for something would accept that.

Reactions: Leahylads
The committee has openly stated that good wins are valued ... good losses are not.

Right now ND is in search of a good win ... Georgia, UVA, UM already have a loss, Duke, SC, Va Tech, Stanford are less than expected this year, Louisville, Navy and BC are not good, UNM and BGSU are practice games.

it was a good schedule on paper but it’s not doing us an favors. With no CCG this is a 12-0 or out scenario.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT