ADVERTISEMENT

3 man rush with safeties in Chicago, WTF?

Clark Lea always tries to outsmart himself.

Even with 3 defensive lineman USC still was able to find open receivers so not sure the point of the scheme. Maybe he wanted to make a hero out of hometown Stepp who ran all over us.

Playing a prevent defense only prevents you from winning. That last defensive series was pathetic. Anyway who thinks Lea is a good defensive coordinator is clueless.

Reactions: rgc7
Isn’t Elko that ”genius” that played a big role in us getting torched by an average Miami team a couple years ago. Oh yeah he was....looks like Lea acorn didn’t fall far from the tree.

Last edited:
3 man rush was initially effective, but USC figured it out and adjusted.

We never adjusted.

Reactions: graceh90
Clark Lea always tries to outsmart himself.

Even with 3 defensive lineman USC still was able to find open receivers so not sure the point of the scheme. Maybe he wanted to make a hero out of hometown Stepp who ran all over us.

anyone paying attention knew Stepp was going to be featured by SC
apparently Lea and Staff were studying the Diaco game philosophy all week!

Reactions: football1irish
anyone paying attention knew Stepp was going to be featured by SC
apparently Lea and Staff were studying the Diaco game philosophy all week!
No credit at all to Stepp ? Gilman owes him a bunch of quarters for the piggyback rides....

Reactions: HDK
No credit at all to Stepp ? Gilman owes him a bunch of quarters for the piggyback rides....

Well, great credit to Stepp! He was “discovered”, in the previous SC game!
It was publicized that Stepp was going to be featured.
Stepp is not Barry Sanders and he needs his OL to get him a crease, and this is a very bad OL, made to look almost good by the ND game plan. I was recalling the bowl game where ND made FSU’s OL comprised of Fr. / Soph starters look like all 1st Rd picks.

Stepp is a very very strong runner. (btw I posted the coming of Stepp last week!)

Last edited:
Reactions: football1irish
It strikes me that we all suffer varying degrees of delusion on this board with some believing the team and coaches can do no wrong and others thinking they can do no right.

I think, though, there were probably several reasons that Lea ran the defense he used. I would have liked to have seen a little more pressure mixed in and wish we had tackled better, but man, generally a tough crowd around here.

I love to go back to the Holtz era because he is basically worshipped as a saint around here, but I can remember many, many games where we had to sit on pins and needles as the opposition drove down the field with a chance to win or tie in the final seconds. Wonder what people would say about Holtz if we had this message board back then.

It strikes me that we all suffer varying degrees of delusion on this board with some believing the team and coaches can do no wrong and others thinking they can do no right.

I think, though, there were probably several reasons that Lea ran the defense he used. I would have liked to have seen a little more pressure mixed in and wish we had tackled better, but man, generally a tough crowd around here.

I love to go back to the Holtz era because he is basically worshipped as a saint around here, but I can remember many, many games where we had to sit on pins and needles as the opposition drove down the field with a chance to win or tie in the final seconds. Wonder what people would say about Holtz if we had this message board back then.
Imagine being here after blowing the huge lead to Tennessee ?

Reactions: Pennick4
With one loss I get the feeling it is a survive and advance approach the rest of the way in to try to get to 12-1 and make a case to get in. Style points out the window. If this coaching staff manages 12-1 with this roster they all deserve massive raises.

ADVERTISEMENT