ADVERTISEMENT

2nd half

francade

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 15, 2003
We have mostly rees to blame for the 2nd half. Navy was foaming at the mouth, 8 or 9 in the box the entire 2nd half and what does he do? Run right into the mass of humanity and call straight drop backs for the shortest qb in the country. No boots, waggles, spring outs, screens, misdirections, jet sweeps, absolutely nothing but running into a loaded box or straight drop backs. It was as if he was gonna run it until something positive happened no matter what. Granted, our defense gave up two huge FB dive runs on 2nd & long situations, something we should know navy does all the time to get into a 3rd and medium scenario, but my god, can u design an adjustment to their all out blitzing? He can’t seem to call a good game throughout. He’ll call a great play in a series & then revert back to predictable bang your head against a wall runs up the middle to a team that was selling out in the box. Stubbornness is not a good trait to have as an OC & he had that in spades yesterday. Brutal playcalling the entire 2nd half.

Reactions: mec22 and Telx1
Agreed, but it didn’t have to be that way if rees would’ve adjusted to them loading the box every single play. If they’re sending more than we can block, it’s not on the players, it’s on the play design & the play design yesterday in the 2nd half was the worst I’ve ever seen. By far, and that’s saying something cuz it’s not as though he hasn’t called shitty games before. Absolutely brutal.

We have mostly rees to blame for the 2nd half. Navy was foaming at the mouth, 8 or 9 in the box the entire 2nd half and what does he do? Run right into the mass of humanity and call straight drop backs for the shortest qb in the country. No boots, waggles, spring outs, screens, misdirections, jet sweeps, absolutely nothing but running into a loaded box or straight drop backs. It was as if he was gonna run it until something positive happened no matter what. Granted, our defense gave up two huge FB dive runs on 2nd & long situations, something we should know navy does all the time to get into a 3rd and medium scenario, but my god, can u design an adjustment to their all out blitzing? He can’t seem to call a good game throughout. He’ll call a great play in a series & then revert back to predictable bang your head against a wall runs up the middle to a team that was selling out in the box. Stubbornness is not a good trait to have as an OC & he had that in spades yesterday. Brutal playcalling the entire 2nd half.
He called none of the plays designed to burn a defense doing what Navy was doing. No middle screens, no quick slants, etc…. Watching on TV, hard to know what our receivers were doing; but Pyne tends To wait until his receivers are out of their breaks before pulling the trigger. That second half was agonizing to watch and brought back nightmares of Weis’s narrow escape.

Not sure how many on here remember or watched ND/USC 1974. I was young but I remember that game very well. Yesterday’s game brought my memories of the 74 game back. In that game ND was up 24-0 just before the half. Then with under a minute to go, Anthony Davis scored. The score was 24-6 at halftime. What ensued at the beginning of the third quarter was equivalent to a tsunami. In under 20 minutes the score went from 24-6 Irish to 55-24 Trojans. I had never seen anything close that until yesterday. The major difference is this. SC was loaded and a top ten team. Navy is horrible and was a 3-6 team. The 74 Irish team was also loaded and a top ten team. This years Irish team may not be a top team but they certainly are better or should be a better than Navy. The 74 Irish bounced back and played great in beating Alabama in the Orange bowl.Hopefully the players and coaches can can learn from the second half debacle and come out the next two games and play much better. By the way I’m pretty sure the game highlights from the ND/SC game are on YouTube. In case anyone wanted to see who might not have seen that game .

Reactions: shooter1977
Not sure how many on here remember or watched ND/USC 1974. I was young but I remember that game very well. Yesterday’s game brought my memories of the 74 game back. In that game ND was up 24-0 just before the half. Then with under a minute to go, Anthony Davis scored. The score was 24-6 at halftime. What ensued at the beginning of the third quarter was equivalent to a tsunami. In under 20 minutes the score went from 24-6 Irish to 55-24 Trojans. I had never seen anything close that until yesterday. The major difference is this. SC was loaded and a top ten team. Navy is horrible and was a 3-6 team. The 74 Irish team was also loaded and a top ten team. This years Irish team may not be a top team but they certainly are better or should be a better than Navy. The 74 Irish bounced back and played great in beating Alabama in the Orange bowl.Hopefully the players and coaches can can learn from the second half debacle and come out the next two games and play much better. By the way I’m pretty sure the game highlights from the ND/SC game are on YouTube. In case anyone wanted to see who might not have seen that game .
I remember the damn 74 USC game and think back to it every time we lead USC in a game. My best friend, an Oregon Duck, was watching the game with me and made a taunting comment towards the end, and then had to pick himself off the floor. My wife still thinks I was immature and overreacted.

Reactions: graceh90
I didn't even watch the 2nd half. After we scored 35 in the 1st half, I switched over to the LSU game. I wonder if that's why struggled so bad, because I stopped watching.....

I remember the damn 74 USC game and think back to it every time we lead USC in a game. My best friend, an Oregon Duck, was watching the game with me and made a taunting comment towards the end, and then had to pick himself off the floor. My wife still thinks I was immature and overreacted.
No that was a very appropriate way to handle it!

Reactions: tkirish and Telx1
Go to empty run screens. Run jet sweep with tyree from empty. Run quick game. Not hard to figure out. And at least if he did those things and it didn’t work it wouldn’t be in Rees.

He called none of the plays designed to burn a defense doing what Navy was doing. No middle screens, no quick slants, etc…. Watching on TV, hard to know what our receivers were doing; but Pyne tends To wait until his receivers are out of their breaks before pulling the trigger. That second half was agonizing to watch and brought back nightmares of Weis’s narrow escape.
The hot reads were there. Pyne did not take advantage of them.

Reactions: Classic Irish
Echo, you can’t be serious. If he missed a hot read or two, it was because they were in his face from the go. I know you love rees but it was an awful display of playcalling. Make all the excuses you want. He was awful in the 2nd half. It was the worst case of making zero adjustments I’ve ever seen & all you have to do is look at the 2nd half totals to see that. Brutal playcalling. Hot reads were there? Lol, give us all a break.

Echo, you can’t be serious. If he missed a hot read or two, it was because they were in his face from the go. I know you love rees but it was an awful display of playcalling. Make all the excuses you want. He was awful in the 2nd half. It was the worst case of making zero adjustments I’ve ever seen & all you have to do is look at the 2nd half totals to see that. Brutal playcalling. Hot reads were there? Lol, give us all a break.
I agree.

I’ve defended Rees but I’m hard pressed to understand the lack of adjustments

And what’s really troubling for me is that it reminded me of the Oklahoma State second half.

ADVERTISEMENT