ADVERTISEMENT

2021 starting WR thread

savvyandsassier

All Star
Dec 16, 2013
Okay, since no one else is going to, who's our starting WRs next year? I'm going to go, obviously, with Avery Davis, who's not only a returning starter, but definitely looks the part as well. I don't now if he'll be our #1 target, but I'm guessing a rock-solid, season-long starter.

And then I will go with Kevin Austin. I have to admire the guy for sticking with ND this long, rather than transferring when he easily could have maybe even should have, so that's good. He's definitely paid his dues and then some by this point. Obviously he's a former elite recruit that was fawned over by fans as a future star. That may never come to pass, but if he can simply stay eligible and un-injured, I don't see why he can't be next in the line of Javon, Boykin, etc, as a former elite recruit who patiently waited his turn and dealt with whatever he had to deal with as a younger player, before finally seizing the opportunity as a senior. So yeah, Kevin Austin.

Have no idea who to pick for the last spot so I'll go with Jordan Johnson, or Lawrence Keys, and maybe Davis can move outside. Wilkins doesn't move the needle too much. And I've never been much of an admirer of Lenzy. As far as Brunelle, Watts, who knows? And for freshman, I will happily throw in Styles as a legit dark horse true frosh starter possibility. So outside of Davis, it looks like it will be wide open, and I'm really hoping that at least Austin pulls it together and nails down one of the other spots.

That and the OL competition point out how critical it is to have a full spring practice this year in particular.

Barring injury or something unknown

Game 1
Boundary - Austin
Slot - Davis
Field - Lenzy

By year end
Boundary - Austin
Slot - Styles (or at least getting as much burn as Davis)
Field - Johnson

I think Davis looks like an athlete but not a football athlete. He doesn't seem natural as WR, he looks like an athletic QB trying to play slot. We need to get better at the slot, styles is just that! Watts also shows potential, no clue why he isn't in the secondary. If he's not getting serious PT next year then he's a transfer waiting to happen.

Austin if healthy is clear, obvious, alpha WR

I think Lenzy if healthy will get first shot at the field. I don't know if he can stay healthy and I think he's a player you need to utilize deep, so he'll need a lot of plays off. I expect johnson to keep eating into his minutes. Johnson I think will be the backup to Austin and Lenzy to start and getting PT at either spot when they need a break.

Not nearly as high on Lenzy as some others. Just don't see anything special there. Gotta think one of the young guys emerge along with Austin. Would love to see Styles at corner, returning kicks and 8-10 plays on offense. He's that dynamic. Davis solid in the slot but far from great.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Not nearly as high on Lenzy as some others. Just don't see anything special there. Gotta think one of the young guys emerge along with Austin. Would love to see Styles at corner, returning kicks and 8-10 plays on offense. He's that dynamic. Davis solid in the slot but far from great.

Agreed about Lenzy. No offense to the kid at all, and maybe he will be our best WR next year, I certainly don't know. But he's never done it for me. He's like a poor man's William Fuller. On paper he's definitely in line to move into a starting if not starring role. I'm just not seeing it.

Agreed about Lenzy. No offense to the kid at all, and maybe he will be our best WR next year, I certainly don't know. But he's never done it for me. He's like a poor man's William Fuller. On paper he's definitely in line to move into a starting if not starring role. I'm just not seeing it.
I don't think he's a tenth the player Fuller was.

Reactions: Zorich 88
I don't think he's a tenth the player Fuller was.

Yeah. And conversely, I always liked William Fuller. I'm not trying to say I saw it coming and knew he was going to be great, I did not. I just liked him. Same for Kyren.

Now watch Lenzy catch 50 passes next season.

Yeah. And conversely, I always liked William Fuller. I'm not trying to say I saw it coming and knew he was going to be great, I did not. I just liked him. Same for Kyren.

Now watch Lenzy catch 50 passes next season.
Would love nothing better than to be completely wrong in my opinion of him.

Lenzy and keys have simply not demonstrated an ability to be counted on as a starter. I'm surprised keys didn't transfer after davis passed him for the slot.

Lenzy and keys have simply not demonstrated an ability to be counted on as a starter. I'm surprised keys didn't transfer after davis passed him for the slot.

Keys strikes me as one of those guys who could come out and have a great senior year like we got out of McKinney last season. I think he has ability.

Best players need to be on the field. I have a feeling this year wrs may be like last year's rbs. Youth movement. If watts and johnson can play they will be on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT