ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Class Must Be T5

NotreDame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 29, 2015
This class has to be top 5. If BK and some of the new coaches like MF can put us in the T5 in recruiting, we have a chance at a title within the next couple of years. We have elite coaches, elite facilities, smart players, great strength and conditioning and obviously great development as proven by the host of NFL talent out there that played under BK. The missing piece is T5 recruiting. We need to break through and if we can we will have a great chance. Any idea where we are in moving the needle for this next group? Are we doing better than years past or are we on pace for status quo? I don't follow recruiting enough so honest question.

ND will more than likely be around the top 10, just inside or just outside. It doesn't appear as of now that ND will be in on enough top end (i.e. top 50 players) to get enough points to make the top 5.

I don't see a great deal of difference between a # 5 Class and a # 10 class personally.

It's an opinion of guys who aren't and have never been college football coaches.
Your opinion is often cited on this board. However, the facts say you need t5 to win a title. So it depends on the end goal. If one is cool with a bowl appearance then outside t5 works. If one had an actual expectation of a championship as opposed to a perception that we could win one, then we need t5.

ND will more than likely be around the top 10, just inside or just outside. It doesn't appear as of now that ND will be in on enough top end (i.e. top 50 players) to get enough points to make the top 5.
So then status quo. Why pay the money to these coaches for the status quo?

I imagine it’s the fans lack of reality and fandom rather that sells merchandise and tickets. If one really looked at the details, they’d see that a championship is simply impossible without t5.

Right. Probably won't get to top five level when it's all said and done. That would be my guess. And it's fine by me, just keep doing what we're doing.

But for the crowd that craves that truly elite status, that won't be satisfied by anything but #1, even though we are almost certainly never going to achieve that again, no matter how hard we labor and toil on the recruiting trail.... right now would nevertheless be our big chance! Two playoff appearances in three seasons, we are all set up to have a top five class. Irrespective of whether or not BK really is a lazy, shiftless recruiter or not.

So if we're ever going to break through, now's the time. All else remaining equal of course.

Reactions: Kelso86
So then status quo. Why pay the money to these coaches for the status quo?

I imagine it’s the fans lack of reality and fandom rather that sells merchandise and tickets. If one really looked at the details, they’d see that a championship is simply impossible without t5.

I think it's just going to be status quo. Which is pretty great right now. I'm not complaining, I feel like we've died and gone to heaven. I was over the moon to make the playoff the first time. Two make it a 2nd time in three years with quite possibly more to come the way things are going? Hell yeah!

Also, what do you mean "lack of reality"? I think most fans are not that worried about it. They're not delusional that we're eventually going to win a championship for sure without ever recruiting another top five class, let alone annual top five classes. They're just willing to live with it, and they enjoy being fans and watching the games. I mean I'm not wrong am I? I'm definitely not wrong. It's only a panicky, morbid minority that's forever upping the ante, and unfortunately they are the delusional ones....

Here's looking at you, kid!

Reactions: 4-4-3
BK 2.0 is nothing if not stable.

I think it's just going to be status quo. Which is pretty great right now. I'm not complaining, I feel like we've died and gone to heaven. I was over the moon to make the playoff the first time. Two make it a 2nd time in three years with quite possibly more to come the way things are going? Hell yeah!

Also, what do you mean "lack of reality"? I think most fans are not that worried about it. They're not delusional that we're eventually going to win a championship for sure without ever recruiting another top five class, let alone annual top five classes. They're just willing to live with it, and they enjoy being fans and watching the games. I mean I'm not wrong am I? I'm definitely not wrong. It's only a panicky, morbid minority that's forever upping the ante, and unfortunately they are the delusional ones....

Here's looking at you, kid!
I disagree. The board was expecting a win against Clemson a second time and more than a few thought we stood a chance against Bama. A lot on here think a championship will happen someday. Facts is we don’t recruit well enough. No team has ever won a title without consistent top 5-10 in recruiting. No team ever will. Am I happy the way ND is performing? Hell yeah. Do I like Brian Kelly? Hell yeah. Do I want a championship? Just one. BK preaches every year that he expects a championship. So do players, recruits and fans. Somewhere within the optimism and the pessimism lies the reality. It won’t happen with current recruiting. Period. To some that’s fine. To others it’s fine but they still expect us to beat Bama. It’s delusional. You can’t expect better without moving that needle. The 5 or so 5 star kids that sat the bench when ND played Clemson made the difference between a beat down win and a close loss.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT