ADVERTISEMENT

2018 College Football Playoff Committee Thread

The only way Bama doesn't get in is if they lose the SEC championship game after an undefeated regular season. It's too late of a loss. It would set up an immediate rematch in the semi's and I don't think the committee will do that. If they lose this week to LSU, they are in. That's how stupid the whole system is. A loss gets them in.

Reactions: GoldCountryND
1. If you took the time to read my post I said ONE of Ohio State and Michigan.

2. Didn't even answer my question. I asked can you assume that a one loss team with with a conference title is better than than a one loss ND? Wasn't asking if they'd be behind.
My bad I didn't catch that "one" thats on me. Mea Culpa. I think the second point does answer the question though. Whether we assume that a one loss OU or one loss Michigan/Ohio St. conference champ is a better team on the field as ND isn't relevant within the context of will they get to the playoff before a one loss ND team. With this year's schedule there is no way a one loss ND team is making it in over one loss P5 champions. Whether they are better then the team or not, the perception will be that they have not done enough to show that they are better right now then whatever team(s) are there.

This is what it should be, but they will likely have LSU 3rd. It seems that's the trendy pick on Espin right now, it will take care of itself when they get demolished this week.

People will say it doesn't matter but I'm telling you I want Clemson in that first game, I think it would be a close one. Playing Alabama with all that time to prepare would be a nightmare, and it won't do us any good getting in the playoff just to get smacked in the first game.
I don't think anyone is saying seeding doesn't matter whne it means playing Bama in the first round.

I don't think anyone is saying seeding doesn't matter whne it means playing Bama in the first round.
I didn't say you said that, but there have been people on this board and others that act like getting in is all that matters. I've said repeatedly that I would rather go 11-1 and win a legit bowl game against a formidable opponent than get thrashed by Alabama in the first round. Doing that would only set the program back in terms of perception.

I didn't say you said that, but there have been people on this board and others that act like getting in is all that matters. I've said repeatedly that I would rather go 11-1 and win a legit bowl game against a formidable opponent than get thrashed by Alabama in the first round. Doing that would only set the program back in terms of perception.
Blowout win over say a Washington or PSU or a damn tough competitive loss 1st round of the playoffs to Bama? I’d rather make the playoffs!

But if the favorites all win out from here, ND will be a 2 or 3 seed. You would face Clemson (likely) before playing Bama. A win against Clemson and getting blown out by Bama might be better than beating Georgia in the Peach Bowl.

Blowout win over say a Washington or PSU or a damn tough competitive loss 1st round of the playoffs to Bama? I’d rather make the playoffs!
Well duh. I'm just saying I don't want to get blown out again. If that's the alternative then give me the premier bowl win. I just don't want the highlight of this season to be "well we got blown out but at least we made it." That isn't good enough.

The only way Bama doesn't get in is if they lose the SEC championship game after an undefeated regular season. It's too late of a loss. It would set up an immediate rematch in the semi's and I don't think the committee will do that. If they lose this week to LSU, they are in. That's how stupid the whole system is. A loss gets them in.

There is absolutely no reason to think that.

thats insanity. you can't win a championship that way. what legitimate program says their goal is to participate in the consolation games ? losing in the semi finals regardless of the score will never set the program back. never. getting there and getting drilled will always be better than not getting there at all.

Well duh. I'm just saying I don't want to get blown out again. If that's the alternative then give me the premier bowl win. I just don't want the highlight of this season to be "well we got blown out but at least we made it." That isn't good enough.
its better than winning a consolation game. whats not good enough is a loser mentality of being afraid of competing with the best.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
thats just dumb. using that logic bama should just throw the game. they can still lose the sec championship and get in easily. suppose other conferences have two loss champions which could easily happen ?

its better than winning a consolation game. whats not good enough is a loser mentality of being afraid of competing with the best.
I take it you're using the word, "competing" relatively loosely here. Cause that sh*t show in 2012 wasn't competing, Alabama could've named the score. For the 500th time, OBVIOUSLY I would rather make the playoff.

That being said, if I knew the outcome was going to be similar to that season (getting pansed by Bama on national tv) I would rather get a major bowl win for the first time in 25 years. Considering we don't yet know the outcome, obviously I want Notre Dame in the playoff so we can see what happens. Otherwise, getting beat down in the first round would put a black mark on the entire season just like it did 2012.

My bad I didn't catch that "one" thats on me. Mea Culpa. I think the second point does answer the question though. Whether we assume that a one loss OU or one loss Michigan/Ohio St. conference champ is a better team on the field as ND isn't relevant within the context of will they get to the playoff before a one loss ND team. With this year's schedule there is no way a one loss ND team is making it in over one loss P5 champions. Whether they are better then the team or not, the perception will be that they have not done enough to show that they are better right now then whatever team(s) are there.
You may be right. However, let's say the last spot for the playoffs is between ND and one loss Michigan? Shouldn't ND's head to head victory count more than Michigan's conference title?

I can agree with this take. Its practical but not popular.

Think I’d rather make the playoffs and get blown out by Bama which would be pretty understandable then win a NY6... idk, I just want to make the playoffs so bad

You may be right. However, let's say the last spot for the playoffs is between ND and one loss Michigan? Shouldn't ND's head to head victory count more than Michigan's conference title?
Should ND's head to head county more? Probably. Will it? Maybe?... The factors Michigan would have in that scenario which would balance against the H2H result would be a stronger strength of schedule (potentially much stronger), Wins over top 25 teams, 4-5 depending on how it plays out, current performance/eye test and the conference title. I can see a very good chance (at best a coin flip for us) that we are on the outside looking in with regards to that scenario.

The answer to your question is "yes," but there is a "but"...

But the problem with ND having a loss from this point on is that it will be considered a bad loss. The only ranked team we will play is Syracuse and they are only ranked 22nd. The other teams are unranked. Also, the loss will happen near the end of the season. UM will be able to say, "we've won 12 games in a row. We won a conference championship, and our only loss was our first game against a very good ND team on their field. We're the better team right now."

Now, even though I think head-to-head should trump just about every other argument, it is hard to argue that a loss against any of our remaining opponents will not be a bad loss. It will be a bad loss and might be difficult to overcome.

No. Because head to head is a tie breaker only when both teams have the same record otherwise. See 1993.

12-0 ND goes in ahead of 12-1 Michigan. 12-1 Michigan goes in ahead of 11-1 ND.

No. Because head to head is a tie breaker only when both teams have the same record otherwise. See 1993.

12-0 ND goes in ahead of 12-1 Michigan. 12-1 Michigan goes in ahead of 11-1 ND.
Look nerd, were aren't here talking about the old system from '93. I do agree that 12-1 Michigan will the get nod over 11-1 ND but for the reasons I stated though.

Look nerd, were aren't here talking about the old system from '93. I do agree that 12-1 Michigan will the get nod over 11-1 ND but for the reasons I stated though.

The committee is just a more focused version of the old poll, with some added back and forth debate. You will have "best 4 teams now" and "best 4 seasons up to now" folks.

Should ND's head to head county more? Probably. Will it? Maybe?... The factors Michigan would have in that scenario which would balance against the H2H result would be a stronger strength of schedule (potentially much stronger), Wins over top 25 teams, 4-5 depending on how it plays out, current performance/eye test and the conference title. I can see a very good chance (at best a coin flip for us) that we are on the outside looking in with regards to that scenario.
The committee is just a more focused version of the old poll, with some added back and forth debate. You will have "best 4 teams now" and "best 4 seasons up to now" folks.
If Notre Dame wins out they're in. If they lose a game then it will likely be up in the air depending on what happens.

Watching Golic this morning, ESPN college football analysts Heather Dinich was a guest and they discussed the real possibility of LSU jumping ND tonight which made Golic very happy. Apparently, no team that was #3 in the initial playoff ranking actually made it to the Final Four.

Watching Golic this morning, ESPN college football analysts Heather Dinich was a guest and they discussed the real possibility of LSU jumping ND tonight which made Golic very happy. Apparently, no team that was #3 in the initial playoff ranking actually made it to the Final Four.
Like I predicted earlier in this thread, I could see LSU being #3 because of their big wins but also because they know the bama/lsu game is coming up and winner of that game will be #1 next week.

That's mainly because people still want to give LSU more credit than they deserve for beating Miami and Auburn. Those seemed like good wins at the time but they don't look great right now. As it stands, ND and LSU will have both beaten a top 6 team and LSU will have also beaten a 21st-ranked Miss St. If the committee values that win, fine, but then they can't ignore the fact that LSU lost to Florida. LSU's victory over Miss St should not outweigh their loss to Fl.

It’s absurd to consider putting LSU in front of ND at this point. They have a loss and didn’t look very good at all in it, & two of their marquee wins aren’t so marquee anymore. Why is it that we don’t get that much credit for Stanford & va tech anymore but they still get credit for Miami and auburn? Shouldn’t even be a discussion right now. It’s getting to the point that records &/or head to head doesn’t even matter anymore w/ the LSU & Michigan nonsense that’s being bandied about. Let’s just listen to the talking heads tell us who they think is better and we’ll go w/ that. Records & head to head be damned. Ridiculous.

Reactions: GoldCountryND
I could see them propping LSU up into the initial top 4 only knowing the big game this weekend will sort it out between them and Bama

I will take a stab at what the committee will have Tuesday night
1 Alabama
2 Clemson
3 LSU
4 ND

Like I said yesterday....

IMO, ND wins out and they are in. 1 loss and they are out. If LSU beats Bama in a close game, I think LSU moves to 1 and Bama drops to 4. ND moves to 3. If LSU loses to Bama they drop they are out unless everyone else loses. If LSU loses to Bama in a close game, and ND loses 1 game, LSU will be ranked ahead of ND as they should be. What is the problem? Why the confusion?

thats just dumb. using that logic bama should just throw the game. they can still lose the sec championship and get in easily. suppose other conferences have two loss champions which could easily happen ?

Dumb huh? It’s literally what happened last year dumbass. You know who won the SEC West, lost the SEC title game and DIDN’t get in? Auburn.

Last edited:
All of you are assuming/have concluded that Bama beats LSU. Careful

Sorry, yes...I am making that assumption, but would not be surprised if LSU wins. I don’t think LSU has enough offense though. The only teams I see beating Bama are teams that can beat them in a shootout.

Like I predicted earlier in this thread, I could see LSU being #3 because of their big wins but also because they know the bama/lsu game is coming up and winner of that game will be #1 next week.
How in the hell will lsu be #1 if(which aint going to happen) they beat Ala? They lost to Fla for gods sake. Fla is not that good with two losses(yes KY is way overrated also). NO way in hell do they jump an undefeated Clemson. For that matter they have no reason to be ahead of ND. This whole popularity contest and love of the SEC is a fricking joke.

How in the hell will lsu be #1 if(which aint going to happen) they beat Ala? They lost to Fla for gods sake. Fla is not that good with two losses(yes KY is way overrated also). NO way in hell do they jump an undefeated Clemson. For that matter they have no reason to be ahead of ND. This whole popularity contest and love of the SEC is a fricking joke.
How would LSU be #1 after beating Bama? The same way they are #3 with 1 loss right now. Seems obvious to me that they are valuing big wins higher than one loss.

I take it you're using the word, "competing" relatively loosely here. Cause that sh*t show in 2012 wasn't competing, Alabama could've named the score. For the 500th time, OBVIOUSLY I would rather make the playoff.

That being said, if I knew the outcome was going to be similar to that season (getting pansed by Bama on national tv) I would rather get a major bowl win for the first time in 25 years. Considering we don't yet know the outcome, obviously I want Notre Dame in the playoff so we can see what happens. Otherwise, getting beat down in the first round would put a black mark on the entire season just like it did 2012.
can't see how thats the case. 100 or so other teams would trade places in a heartbeat. again, you can't win a championship if you're not playing for it. i'll pass on the participation trophy.

it is dumb. preferring to lose always is. guaranteed coach saban doesn't share your lunacy.

I never said they would prefer to lose. You added that in. I said that they would still get in if they lost early. LIKE THEY DID LAST YEAR. You added in the "strategy" part. You literally added something in that I didn't say and then criticized me for it.

And I am the lunatic?

ADVERTISEMENT