ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Toughest game; Surprise win; Surprise loss; other interesting stuff

Duo

ND Expert
Jul 23, 2006
Make your 3 picks and any other comments:

My picks:

1.) Toughest game: That will be at Miami which is currently an 8 point favorite over ND. Mark Richt has had the years to recruit and practice and his team is loaded with talent especially on defense. Also this is a revenge game for Miami with the home field advantage (if there is such a thing at Miami).

2.) Surprise win: And it will be a very surprise if ND can beat 11 point favorite Stanford. The reason for this pick is...........well, call it about time........ND is due.........or plain Irish luck.

3.). Potential Surprise loss: OK, this is a stretch...........at BC. Why? Same as 2.) above only the reasons are for BC. ND players and fans will assume an automatic win and will be looking forward to the USC game. Surprise!

All of ND's road games will be tough (BC, MSU, UNC, Miami, Stanford).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
I realize MSU has had unreal attrition since last year and that most Irish fans count this game as a win. I do not. MSU steamrolled ND last year in South Bend scoring 36 unanswered points. They did so with a young OL having lost 2 very highly regarded players in Allen and Conklin. They should be better up front plus RB LJ Scott returns and QB Brian Lewerke is healthy. I don't expect ND's DL will be super strong so this could prove to be a terrible match up for you. Sparty will pound the rock over and over again, controlling the tempo and the clock. The question will be whether or not your defense can get off the field. Night game in East Lansing will make it even more difficult.

I realize MSU has had unreal attrition since last year and that most Irish fans count this game as a win. I do not. MSU steamrolled ND last year in South Bend scoring 36 unanswered points. They did so with a young OL having lost 2 very highly regarded players in Allen and Conklin. They should be better up front plus RB LJ Scott returns and QB Brian Lewerke is healthy. I don't expect ND's DL will be super strong so this could prove to be a terrible match up for you. Sparty will pound the rock over and over again, controlling the tempo and the clock. The question will be whether or not your defense can get off the field. Night game in East Lansing will make it even more difficult.

That MSU game you refer to as "steamrolled" came down to the last possession.

ND had the ball at the 35, 1st & 10 with over 2 minutes left down a score.

irishalice: in case you didn't know, the internet and public message boards are open to everyone. Your act is so tired. Why don't you comment on the merits of the post? If I stated something illogical or factually incorrect, then say so. Otherwise the fact that you're a Domer and I am not doesn't mean a damn thing - even on an "ND board." Plenty of other posters here respect content.

Last edited:
Reactions: ndnd
That MSU game you refer to as "steamrolled" came down to the last possession.

ND had the ball at the 35, 1st & 10 with over 2 minutes left down a score.

"steamrolled" was a reference to how MSU plays (rushing and controlling the ball) coupled with the the fact that they reeled off 36 unanswered points. That's almost unheard of.

"steamrolled" was a reference to how MSU plays (rushing and controlling the ball) coupled with the the fact that they reeled off 36 unanswered points. That's almost unheard of.

Not unheard of against a BVG defense.

irishalice: in case you didn't know, the internet and public message boards are open to everyone. Your act is so tired. Why don't you comment on the merits of the post? If I stated something illogical or factually incorrect, then say so. Otherwise the fact that your a Domer and I am not doesn't mean a damn thing - even on an "ND board." Plenty of other posters here respect content.

Not when it always negative from a rival. Don't like my posts, Buttercup? Too bad! :D

Reactions: sluggo69
Hi Alice,

What are your thoughts on ND's toughest challenge in 2017? How about your thoughts on a game that ND might win in spite of the odds makers point spreads? And how about your thoughts on a ND "trap game" or a game you think deserves a little more consideration than what the pundits are giving it?

Hi Alice,

What are your thoughts on ND's toughest challenge in 2017? How about your thoughts on a game that ND might win in spite of the odds makers point spreads? And how about your thoughts on a ND "trap game" or a game you think deserves a little more consideration than what the pundits are giving it?

Didn't you just have a thread about basically the same topic? Not a fan of preseason rankings or predictions. Ask me after I see the Irish play a couple of games. I don't think the Irish are going to be as bad as some rivals hope, but only time will prove that out.

Didn't you just have a thread about basically the same topic? Not a fan of preseason rankings or predictions. Ask me after I see the Irish play a couple of games. I don't think the Irish are going to be as bad as some rivals hope, but only time will prove that out.

Alice,

OK, then how about this..........who do you think will be ND's toughest opponent? That is not a prediction, merely your opinion.

Alice,

OK, then how about this..........who do you think will be ND's toughest opponent? That is not a prediction, merely your opinion.

Coming off a 4-8 season wouldn't every team on the schedule be a tough opponent? Some might point to UGA, SC or Stanford but the Irish better think the toughest team they have is the one they play that Saturday.

Reactions: Kelso86
Alice, this is an impossible scenario these geniuses have set up for you. If you had a crystal ball, maybe, and only maybe, that crystal ball will tell you a little something about BW and his OL. This doesn't even take into account the unknowns on defense and yes, Special Teams. We read about the talent and the coaching changes but no one knows. I will offer three scenarios for these guys to chew on. 1....they will be very good. 2.....they will be mediocre at best. 3......they will be disappointing. I know I went out on a limb but that's how I roll.

Reactions: irishalice
Coming off a 4-8 season wouldn't every team on the schedule be a tough opponent? Some might point to UGA, SC or Stanford but the Irish better think the toughest team they have is the one they play that Saturday.

OK Alice. I do agree with you about treating all opponents seriously and taking them one game at a time. That is why I picked BC in an upset. Nobody will be looking for BC to win including players. And everybody (and for good reason) will be looking forward to the SC game. A serious come from behind or loss to a lesser team early in the season might be a good shock though. It would certainly intensify the focus.

All food for thought. It's a message board in the off season. Time to cuss and discuss. :)

Toughest Game - USC - They are extremely talented and smoked us last year. Their QB was off the charts against PSU! GA and Miami will also be extremely difficult. Both talented and GA is physical. Surprise win? Any of the three aforementioned, but I will go with GA at home. GA is borderline elite if they can get their offense out of neutral. Strong ground game which was one of ND's achilles heels last year. However, ND at home coming off of a win over Temple (cross your fingers) and I will go with the Irish to out score a tough GA team. Potential Surprise Loss - of the teams I haven't mentioned NC concerns me. Up tempo offense that we couldn't handle when we played them the last time. They are talented, although not in the class with GA, USC and Miami. My hope is because Elko has seen them, ND can prevail.

Reactions: IrishDave1
Toughest Game - USC - They are extremely talented and smoked us last year. Their QB was off the charts against PSU! GA and Miami will also be extremely difficult. Both talented and GA is physical. Surprise win? Any of the three aforementioned, but I will go with GA at home. GA is borderline elite if they can get their offense out of neutral. Strong ground game which was one of ND's achilles heels last year. However, ND at home coming off of a win over Temple (cross your fingers) and I will go with the Irish to out score a tough GA team. Potential Surprise Loss - of the teams I haven't mentioned NC concerns me. Up tempo offense that we couldn't handle when we played them the last time. They are talented, although not in the class with GA, USC and Miami. My hope is because Elko has seen them, ND can prevail.

57 Patrick,

You bring up an excellent point about Elko. Last year ND was 2-3 vs. the ACC schedule squeaking out a victory over Miami at home. This year Miami is at home and currently an 8 point favorite by Vegas. Fortunately Elko will be well acquainted with the ACC teams in the future. Who knows, with his experience maybe he can be of some help to the offense as well? Meanwhile,............while the ACC was the best Conference in CFB last year they continue to improve so it won't be easy.

My picks:

1.) Toughest game: Southern Cal, better all around athletes than ND and it is a rivalry game. Enough said.

2.) Surprise win: Georgia, every year they seem to have as much talent as anyone, but they never seem to apply it.

3.). Potential Surprise loss: Boston College, because if they beat Georgia they will overlook BC and if they lose to Georgia they will be deflated.

In 12 days fall practice calls us together for another season. It calls us away from the seven losses of 8 points or less. It calls us away from the second quarter at USC where we loss that game 14-0. It calls us back to that love of victory. I see a lot of talented lads who want to win, and a new coaching staff these young men deserve. GO IRISH and Wake UP the ECHOES CHEERING HER NAME!

Here's a fact that will turn your stomach: Since Ara retired in 1974 Notre Dame has loss 67.5 home games over 41 seasons. In 11 seasons Ara's team's loss 6.5 games.

Last edited:
Toughest: USC. I think they'll win the Pac-12 and be in the playoffs.
Surprise Win: UGA (cue the "wake up the echoes" talk early)
Surprise Loss: UNC. Early game a week after an emotional game against USC. (cue the "overrated" talk).

Toughest: USC. I think they'll win the Pac-12 and be in the playoffs.
Surprise Win: UGA (cue the "wake up the echoes" talk early)
Surprise Loss: UNC. Early game a week after an emotional game against USC. (cue the "overrated" talk).

MT.......

You make a good point about UNC..........and a road game to boot!

IMO every time you win you take one step forward ... every time you lose you take 2 steps backwards. ND schedule the 1st 2 weeks at home are crucial . ND needs to blowout Temple . Something like 38-17 and then beat Georgia ( score does not matter) . At 2-0 confidence will take them to BC and have a tough game but pull it out . 3-0 I really think ND will be 3-0 going to East Lansing and this game will decide the outcome of the season. Brutally tough game AFTER the 1st 3 games. At this point we will know how physical tough ND is . After 4 games everyone will know what this team is made of.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT