ADVERTISEMENT

$13 million NIL deal

Notre Dame Fans travel to games around the world because of Notre Dame and not for any particular player. Do you think they would do the same for a semi pro team simply using its brand and stadium?
👍

Reactions: NDinNJ
Notre Dame Fans travel to games around the world because of Notre Dame and not for any particular player. Do you think they would do the same for a semi pro team simply using its brand and stadium?
Of course you will. Yes, they most definitely will. ND fans will continue to support the team and the program, and with their consumer dollars, even when they become fully-paid professionals just like their older NFL counterparts. ND will never de-emphasize football. They know better to ever seriously consider that, whatever some of their fans might prefer. All that moralistic, holier than thou bluster is just that.....

If Stroud played for ND he should make nearly the same. ND and Ohio State have two of the largest fan bases. It’s simple supply and demand. Brady Quinn would be making that kind of money today.

Of course you will. Yes, they most definitely will. ND fans will continue to support the team and the program, and with their consumer dollars, even when they become fully-paid professionals just like their older NFL counterparts. ND will never de-emphasize football. They know better to ever seriously consider that, whatever some of their fans might prefer. All that moralistic, holier than thou bluster is just that.....
ND already de-emphasized football !

And, on more than one occasion !

Interesting to see all the "college football is ruined" prognosticators commenting on the article on the other site. All we're doing is learning how shaky some of these deals are. Does anyone really believe that some group is going to shell out $13 million for a five-star recruit? How many of them, like :Amber Heard, want to tell the world that "pledge" is the same as "donate"? Quite a few, I'll bet.

The story has a number of holes in it.

1. A vague reference to a non-identified and non-defined 13M NIL deal
I suspect that the kid at least believes he was offered $13m. Not sure that's a hole.
2. The University of Florida is a Public, NOT a private school.
Irrelevant, though, since these are booster cooperatives that are offering the money, not the school itself.
3. As a Public school that NIL deal would be public information
Again, irrelevant, since it isn't the school making the deal.
4. Does anyone think that a school, public or private is going to pay an unproven high school kid more than their coach ?
Now we're getting on common ground here. Certainly not. Anyone who offered him $13 million was almost certainly conning him. He commits based on some third-party offer, signs the NLI, the money turns out to be more like $130k. Gee, we never signed a contract. andshake thing.
Let‘s have the facts be revealed before you claim that the sky is falling
One hundred percent agree with you here.

BIL is simply out of control, but I think it will work itself out. No thanks to the NCAA.

Who was the poster that told me no high school kid was getting 8 figures...

It's here...it's only the beginning...

And it's begun to ruin CFB.

Remember...

It's only the beginning!!!
He didn't get it though.. He walked because he didn't get it.

So, no.. It's not here(yet).

There are collectives promising 8 figures.

CFB needs more happenings like this to wake these kids up.

I'm all for kids trying to get what they can get but make sure it's a good fit before you start shopping for NIL offers. This kid is going to have flip flopped around so much he might land at a place that isn't a good fit for him.

Desperation/greed breeds ****ups like this.

This kid is going to have flip flopped around so much he might land at a place that isn't a good fit for him.
Uuuhhhhhh...

That shit happened long before NIL kids making poor choices. Regretful choices.

No different today. Just add 8 figures to the party now but make no mistake kids always made dumb decisions.

Uuuhhhhhh...

That shit happened long before NIL kids making poor choices. Regretful choices.

No different today. Just add 8 figures to the party now but make no mistake kids always made dumb decisions.
The difference is that it was small potatoes before NIL and Transfer Portal that the commitment was more about fit and less about the bag.

It's turning into a bidders war where kids are risking going to a school with no relationships geographical interest etc.

Who was that(one time no commit) kid from Denton Guyer that used Oregon to get NIL from Oklahoma?? My example here that his heart was with OU from go but he had to hop around until his "fit" showed him the bag.

That's not healthy for CFB for the best players to do this.. the more you do that the higher probability you wash out.

The difference is that it was small potatoes before NIL and Transfer Portal that the commitment was more about fit and less about the bag.

It's turning into a bidders war where kids are risking going to a school with no relationships geographical interest etc.

Who was that(one time no commit) kid from Denton Guyer that used Oregon to get NIL from Oklahoma?? My example here that his heart was with OU from go but he had to hop around until his "fit" showed him the bag.

That's not healthy for CFB for the best players to do this.. the more you do that the higher probability you wash out.
I'm talking pre star trek portal.

Kids always made dumb decisions. No different just because the inclusion of money.

I'm talking pre star trek portal.

Kids always made dumb decisions. No different just because the inclusion of money.
I'm not denying they made dumb decisions.

My counterpoint was that 1.) 8 figure deals are not common

Point 2.) response to your notion that nothing has changed is that the money and flexibility to move has exacerbated the capriciousness of these teenagers.

this just got started

Right?

And yet....

Some have hit 8 figures yet to take a d1 snap

It's a complete shitshow
The most recent and most noteworthy one fell through..

I think it would be illogical to believe that because an 8 figure offer fell through that 8 figure offers will soon become the norm.

Perhaps we're already seeing a market correction here with this deal falling through.. I think a lot of collectives are going to look at A&M and think twice about paying inexperienced recruits millions of dollars.

Legislatively it's good that you can't tie a commitment to an NIL deal, so a kid could burn a collective as transferring isn't a breach of the contract and if you worked some type of clause into the agreement that required a kid to play for X school it could be challenged in court. I'm all for sleazeballs getting screwed over.

On Monday The Athletic ran a very long and in-depth story on the derailed Rashada NIL deal. It is a fascinating read. And the writers who did the piece actually saw Rashada's NIL contract with UF's Gator Collective, so it wasn't full of just hearsay, speculation and rumors as to what the deal entailed.

Rashada was to be paid $13.85M over 4 years: $500K up front; $250K per month as a freshman; $291,666.66 per month as a sophomore; $375K per month as a junior; and $195,833.33 as a senior. In exchange for those payments, here is what Rashada was obligated to do: reside in Gainesville; do one branded Twitter/IG post per month; participate in up to 8 fan engagements per year, none of which was required to last more than 2 hours; and autograph up to 15 pieces of merchandise per year. That's IT!

As a point of reference, the article noted that Kenny Pickett, a first-round NFL draft choice from Pitt, signed a 4-year rookie NFL contract with the Steelers for $14.1M.

The Gator Collective comes across in the story as a bunch of slimy and incompetent grifters. Rashada's father, Harlen Rashada, also comes off pretty badly in the article. Apparently the first thing he asked when the son visited schools was what kind of NIL money was available. Clearly he was shopping his son around for the best NIL deal. According to the article, at least two schools pulled scholarship offers made to the son because they didn't want to deal with the father. The dad's conduct makes you ask: was he just looking out for his son, or was he looking to make money off his son?

I found it interesting to learn that Miami's initial NIL deal with Rashada--which Rashada ultimately spurned to sign with UF--included payments made to Rashada while he was still in high school. To get around Florida law, the contract was signed in California where NIL payments to high schoolers are legal; they are not legal in Florida. After Rashada flipped from UM to UF, the UM collective (LifeWallet) was apparently reimbursed $125K by the Gator Collective for NIL payments that Rashada had already received.

The article paints a pretty sordid picture of what happened.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT