ADVERTISEMENT

10 Recruits To Keep Your Eye On in 2020

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
Offense

RB: Chris Tyree (0.9867 Comp, #1 APB, #26 nationally)

Every year I allow myself to be cautiously optimistic about a player of Tyree's caliber, that ND usually does not land. I've went as far as saying that I doubt Tyree comes to Notre Dame, but recently, I've become more encouraged by what's happening in his recruitment. By all accounts the track star is an ND type of kid. He's already scheduled his 3rd visit to Notre Dame (from Virginia) and he talks daily with multiple members of the Irish staff. Right now ND's greatest competition for 5 star back is a down Virginia Tech program and Penn State. These are battles ND needs to win. These are battles that ND use to win all the time. The East Coast has the potential to be a recruiting gold mine for Notre Dame and landing Tyree would be a nice step in that direction.

WR: Jordan Johnson (0.9763 Comp, #7 WR, #47 nationally)

Johnson represents Del Alexander's best chance at landing a true stud wide receiver in the 2020 cycle. Most think that Notre Dame is the clear leader for the Missouri product early in the 2020 cycle and he has already booked another junior day visit to Notre Dame's campus. At 6'2, Johnson brings a similar skill set to the table as Kevin Austin, ND's last top 100 wide receiver (2 cycles ago). The big boys are fighting their way into this recruitment as well. Look for Ohio State to make their way up the list for Johnson with Yurcich and Day leading the charge and Alabama is highly interested as well, and will be back in the mix once they've hired an offensive staff. Johnson recently cancelled an Alabama visit to attend Notre Dame for a second time. Some think that shows his interest level in Notre Dame is legit and others simply think that he's going to wait to visit Alabama once they have coaches in place. Johnson comes from a family that cheered for Notre Dame growing up and he represents to type of recruit that ND must cash in on after an undefeated regular season and a trip to the playoffs.

WR: Jalen McMillan (0.9655, #16 WR, #72 nationally)

If Jordan Johnson represents ND's best shot at a stud receiver in the 2020 cycle, then Jalen McMillan is the next best bet for the Irish. McMillan openly states that ND is the leader for his services right now, with Oregon a close 2nd and sure. This is shaping up to be one heck of a battle. Listed at 6'2, 180lbs, McMillan has surprising deep speed and is sure handed. He reminds me of taller (I think he's more 6'0.5 than 6'2) TJ Jones, with similar ball skills and route running ability. McMillan will be attending Notre Dame's February junior day (which is shaping up to be a big event) and will be bringing his head coach, who has ties to Notre Dame via his daughter who did her undergrad in South Bend and is now at ND Law School. Closing on McMillan, who wants to make an early decision if he can, would be a huge recruiting win for Notre Dame in a cycle that they need to land 2 impact wide receivers to go along with their quality haul at tight end.

OT: Andrew Gentry (0.9499 Comp, #15 OT, #116 nationally)

In what looks to be a stellar year along the offensive in terms of guys that have interest in Notre Dame, Gentry appears to be emerging as not only one of Notre Dame's top candidates, but also a player who has a chance to finish the cycle ranked well inside the top 100. Notre Dame has identified 4 offensive tackle products in Kevin Pyne, Tosh Baker, Jimmy Christ and Andrew Gentry who all stand 6'7-6'8 and have long arms and huge frames. At a listed 6'8, 280lbs (he's still a sophomore) Gentry appears to have the biggest frame of the quartet. Another kid who comes from a family who grew up liking Notre Dame, the tackle prospect is exactly the type of kid ND needs to land regularly. even if his measurables are slightly inflated but he's a full 6'6, with the frame to be 290+lbs from the day he walks on campus, that's exactly what ND's offensive staff is looking for in long limbed tackles. Michigan is emerging as another serious contender for Gentry at this point and he'll take more visits as well. Notre Dame was out to visit him recently and have invited him back for their junior day. In class that likely only has room for 3 offensive linemen, 2 of them must be offensive tackles. Gentry would be an excellent fit.

OT: Tosh Baker (0.8689 Comp, #52 OT, #485 nationally)

This is the Kyle Hamilton of the 2020 class. What I mean by that is that Baker is completely undervalued at this point by the recruiting services, but will shoot up the board in the coming months. In the last month he last received offers from schools like Notre Dame, Ohio State, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Michigan, etc and he plenty more to come as coaches get in to see the 6'7, 260lb Phoenix product. Jeff Quinn was down to Baker this past week and he'll be back to Notre Dame for his 2nd visit this spring. The Irish are one of the early leaders in Baker's recruitment and the two sport start is exactly the type of freak athlete ND is looking to recruit as a tackle, with a frame that projects to be huge after a couple years in a college strength and conditioning program. In Kyle Hamilton the Irish managed to get on the stud prospect early while other schools were sleeping on him. They managed to get the same edge on most schools with Baker as well. Here is to hoping that's enough to help overcome the long list of suitors that he'll have by the end of spring practice. Baker reminds me of a taller Ronnie Stanley. Just a bear with basketball feet whose best football is well ahead of him and he continues to add the size and strength to play offensive tackle. He's going to be a really good one, IMO.

Continued...

Defense

DT: Aidan Keanaaiana (0.8986 Comp, #27 DT, #309 nationally)

It's a really good year in the state of Colorado in terms of kids with ND interest. The player ND probably has the best shot at landing is DT / NG prospect Aidan Keanaaiana. Listed at 6'3, 292lbs, Aidan has that Polynesian / Samoan type body that always intrigues college coaches. It's easy to see that he's going to be 300+lbs and strong as an ox after year or two in college strength program. It's not secret that Notre Dame leads for Aidan. He's come out and admitted as much, although he technically has a top 5 that includes Notre Dame, Ohio State, Wisconsin, UCLA and Virginia. He also has a nice national offer list that includes teams like Florida, Michigan, Penn State, Oregon and Nebraska. Aidan is a notch behind the truly elite NG prospects in the class, but given how hard it is for Notre Dame to land the very best DT's in any cycle, Aidan is the type of kid ND must secure in numbers. The Irish did a solid job at DT in the 2019 cycle, and landing two more interior players of Aidan's quality in 2020 will keep the interior strong and stout moving forward. It's not a great cycle at DT. It's even worse in terms of kids that have ND interest / qualify for Notre Dame. This is the type of kid ND has to hit on because it starts to become slim pickings after that.

SDE: Rylie Mills (0.9467 Comp, #8 SDE, #128 nationally)

When you talk about kids that are "must gets" for Notre Dame, Mills is at the top of the list. He's a huge kid at 6'5, 270+lbs and he might wind up growing into a 300lb defensive tackle by time things are said and done. Every time he shows up at a camp he's 10lbs heavier than he was last time people got eyes on him. From the same high school as Tommy Rees (Lake Forest) in Illinois, Mills comes from an ND area and has a ton of pro ND people in his ear. He also happens to have one of the best offer lists of any player in the country, and the suitors are coming after him hard. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, Florida, Oklahoma, Penn State, Oregon. You name the school, they're working their ass off trying to land Mills. Thankfully, ND got in on Rylie extremely early and the perception is that ND is the leader, with Ohio State in 2nd. Mike Elston (arguably the staff's best recruiter) is all over Mills and has built a great relationship with the Illinois product. All 5 of the 247 Crystal Balls have ND as the leader for Mills and he's scheduled to be back at Notre Dame for their February junior day. This is the type of kid that Notre Dame would love to wrap up early and have in their back pocket as they attempt to land impact players in the 2020 class, coming off of an impressive season. It's too early for me to say that ND is a lock to land Mills, but between Elston, Rees and defensive coordinator Clark Lea, I'll be shocked if they let him get away, barring some enormous, unforeseen, staff shakeup.

DE: Alexander Ehrensberger (NA Comp, NA, NA)

It's hard to get more anonymous than Ehrensberger in the current world of recruiting, where information travels quickly, but he's one of the more intriguing players in the entire class and Notre Dame did a hell of a job identifying him early. The Dusseldorf, Germany prospect is obviously going to be raw coming to America, but he's the type of project defensive end (like Isaiah Foskey and Ade Ogundeji) that Notre Dame needs to land every cycle as an "extra" to stash away and develop as a 4-5 year player. Ehrensberger is a full 6'5 and very athletic. He's really taken strength and conditioning seriously over the past year and grown to 238lbs, from a kid that was about 215lbs 12 months ago. When you see him in pictures, he's lean and shredded and you know he has the room to add another 15-20lbs of "football mass", easily. I love the idea of ND taking this kid. He's not going to be a guy that plays right away, or expects to for that matter. But ND struggles to land really athletic defensive ends and here an a high upside, tough, athletic kid that has a big time interest in Notre Dame (and Ohio State) and is a great academic fit as well. If ND could have 3 of these guys developing on their roster along the defensive line at all times, it would be amazing. I sincerely hope they go full out in Ehrensberger's recruitment and stash him away. It's an all too easy comparison, but he does remind me quite a bit of former Florida State defensive end Bjorn Werner, who turned into an excellent pass rushing defensive end when FSU was contending for titles, and was ultimately drafted in the 1st round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

LB: Cody Simon (0.8914 Comp, #27 OLB, #338 nationally)

It's going to be a small year at linebacker for Notre Dame. They're only aiming to take one, although it looks like they'd take a second if he's an elite guy. Simon, the younger brother of Shayne, looks like the obvious choice. Notre Dame will attempt to go "big game hunting" after that. Personally, I don't think Cody is his brother. Unless he grows I don't think he'll have his brother's measurables, and that's what separates them. The elder Simon was a top 100 recruit for a reason, and one of my two favourite defensive prospects in Notre Dame's 2018 class. The younger Simon is a quality 4 star linebacker that will need a couple years to develop, but who fits perfectly into Notre Dame's deep depth chart at linebacker, where he can redshirt, make his way on special teams for a year, and hopefully make an impact in the rotation by his junior season. Like I talked about with Aidan Keanaaiana, Cody is the type of kid that I'm pumped to add as a rotational piece in ND's depth chart. It wasn't long ago that the drop off between ND's first and second team players was stark on the defensive side of the ball. The last 2 classes have shored up the depth quite considerably, and adding players like Cody will serve the same purpose in 2020. While Kalel Mullings and Sav'ell Smalls are going to be guys ND attempts to add as impact players, Simon is ND's most likely linebacker option. I expect ND to wrap this one up early despite a charge from Penn State for his services.

Enzo Jennings (0.9564 Comp, #7 ATH, #95 nationally)

Probably the most interesting player (other than Ehrensberger) in the 2020 cycle relative to Notre Dame, Jennings is a player I badly want. Schools think he's athletic enough to be a big corner for them. Notre Dame thinks he's going to grow over the next two years and they love him as a potential rover candidate. He's currently about 6'2, 180lbs, with offers from everyone who matters, ranging from in state Michigan, to the entire SEC, Clemson, etc, etc... Jennings really likes the ND defensive staff and Clark Lea is personally recruiting him. Right now all of the CB's have gone ND's way, but it's early and Michigan continues to press. On top of that Jennings is going to make a trip down south in the spring to visit SEC schools. The Michigan product has noted that it would be nice to play closer to home, but the lure (and bagmen) down south might player a factor in this recruitment. It's too early to tell if Notre Dame is actually the a favourite, or simply the winningest program that Jennings knows the most about right now. This recruitment is going to be a battle. Frankly, IMO, it's the type of recruitment that ND needs to hold serve on and win given their early lead. Jennings is uber athletic and a great scheme fit if he grows as the staff expects him to. The type of athlete that Notre Dame is usually trying to pull out of the south, but instead resides regionally, in Michigan. My real concern here is academics. I'm not saying that he isn't going to qualify, but when you're high on Notre Dame, Auburn, Tennessee and Georgia early in the process, one of those schools sticks out as being unlike the others. Don't hold your breath on this recruitment, but cross your fingers. Jennings would be an awesome get.

I noticed you didn’t mention Braden McGregor along the DL?
A few people who are pretty good at breaking guys down have said he is legit & that he is undervalued as well. I think ND really, really likes him to don’t they?

I noticed you didn’t mention Braden McGregor along the DL?
A few people who are pretty good at breaking guys down have said he is legit & that he is undervalued as well. I think ND really, really likes him to don’t they?

They sure do. I like McGreggor as well. Alabama is recruiting him at tight end. A number of schools are recruiting him at DE. Notre Dame is definitely high on his list... The list I published above is obviously missing some key names, but I did that on purpose. Guys like Kevin Pyne, Braiden McGregor, Kalel Mullings, Bryn Tucker, Paris Johnson, Andrew Raym, AJ Henning, Zach Evans, etc have been guys that we've known ND is on for more than a year now and who have already gotten plenty of attention. That doesn't mean ND has stopped recruiting them or that they won't land any of them. In fact, I think they'll land several.

I wanted to introduce those who don't following recruiting as closely as you and I do, to some of the "other" names, or "newer" names on ND's board that they have a good shot with and who will be visiting campus over the next couple months. I could post a comprehensive list of guys to watch for, but I've done that in the past... I wanted to shed a little bit of light on some guys that those who casually follow recruiting might not know much about.

They sure do. I like McGreggor as well. Alabama is recruiting him at tight end. A number of schools are recruiting him at DE. Notre Dame is definitely high on his list... The list I published above is obviously missing some key names, but I did that on purpose. Guys like Kevin Pyne, Braiden McGregor, Kalel Mullings, Bryn Tucker, Paris Johnson, Andrew Raym, AJ Henning, Zach Evans, etc have been guys that we've known ND is on for more than a year now and who have already gotten plenty of attention. That doesn't mean ND has stopped recruiting them or that they won't land any of them. In fact, I think they'll land several.

I wanted to introduce those who don't following recruiting as closely as you and I do, to some of the "other" names, or "newer" names on ND's board that they have a good shot with and who will be visiting campus over the next couple months. I could post a comprehensive list of guys to watch for, but I've done that in the past... I wanted to shed a little bit of light on some guys that those who casually follow recruiting might not know much about.

Which WR prospect is Armstrong’s cousin?
Is that Johnson?

Which WR prospect is Armstrong’s cousin?
Is that Johnson?

Daniel Jackson, is the cousin, and another kid that I left off the list. I didn't include Jalen Logan-Redding as well, but he's obviously another name to know at DE, as is Arik Gilbert, the 5 star who will visit, but whom I think is a pipe dream and likely a lock for Georgia or Alabama.

https://247sports.com/player/daniel-jackson-46051925/

Last edited:
Daniel Jackson, is the cousin, and another kid that I left off the list. I didn't include Jalen Logan-Redding as well, but he's obviously another name to know at DE, as is Arik Gilbert, the 5 star who will visit, but whom I think is a pipe dream and likely a lock for Georgia or Alabama.

Chris Tyree is exactly the type of guy ND never gets. Do you think hiring Charles Huff, who has strong connections to his area would help in that recruitment?

Chris Tyree is exactly the type of guy ND never gets. Do you think hiring Charles Huff, who has strong connections to his area would help in that recruitment?

Yes, I think it would help immensely and I think Huff's recruiting acumen is exactly why he's high on Notre Dame's list of potential replacements for Denson.

Reactions: jcswoopnh

And we appreciate it, thank you

Reactions: IrishMike409
What position is Arik Gilbert being recruited for?

Ehrensnerger is putting the work in and you can’t coach that length. Would love to see ND land him but what are the academics like. Any chance he qualifies for ND?

Ehrensnerger is putting the work in and you can’t coach that length. Would love to see ND land him but what are the academics like. Any chance he qualifies for ND?

He's from Germany. That means infinitely better than the American public school system. Academics will not be an issue, nor will the language requirements. Like most Europeans he speaks 3 languages.

Reactions: TXNDFan88
Just one mans opinion but we need better than Simon-----and the Pyne kid is far from elite IMO.

Just one mans opinion but we need better than Simon-----and the Pyne kid is far from elite IMO.

Agreed on both. Kevin Pyne is not at the top of the OL board, despite his size. ND would take him, but the top of their board consists of guys like Paris Johnson, Andrew Raym, Andrew Gentry, Bryn Tucker and Tosh Baker. Kevin Pyne is on the list, and he's a take... Nothing more.

As for Cody Simon, ND is trying to do better. They're all in on 5 star ILB Sav'ell Smalls out of Wsshington, but so is everybody else nationally and when Bama, Clemson and Ohio State coming calling, Notre Dame usually just holds their beer... I'm picturing a Brandon Smith recruitment all over again. Still can't believe ND got punked by Penn State for that kid. Franklin is a darn good recruiter though. He works really hard at it.

You mentioned Henning in your follow up and I think he could end up being a really special player.. along the lines of Golden. He might be as good as Johnson.

You mentioned Henning in your follow up and I think he could end up being a really special player.. along the lines of Golden. He might be as good as Johnson.

I like Henning as well. Has a chance be dynamic. I don't see Golden Tate in him, but I understand your reference and hope ypu're right there and I'm wrong. Either way, he'd be a dynamic add to the class. He and Tyree in the same class would give you a pair of serious athletes that can play a number of roles.

My gut has been saying Ohio State for Henning for some time. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and ND wins that battle.

I fail to see a huge difference between the rankings between Chris Tyree and Kyren Williams. I know different classes, but boy I really like Williams.

I fail to see a huge difference between the rankings between Chris Tyree and Kyren Williams. I know different classes, but boy I really like Williams.

Speed for one. Tyree has legit track speed and is a homerun threat. Second, Tyree's competition in VA is also better than Kyren's in Missouri, so keep that in mind while you watch the film. Third, he is a year behind Kyren. Tyree's senior film will be excellent.

All that said, I love Kyren Williams. I've long said that he has Theo Riddick's skill set, in Tarean Folston's body. That's an interesting combination to me.

If ND could land Chris Tyree, Reggie Love and pull AJ Henning as a "do everything" ATH, they'd go a long way in fixing their running back talent and adding some serious athletes to this offense.

Agreed on both. Kevin Pyne is not at the top of the OL board, despite his size. ND would take him, but the top of their board consists of guys like Paris Johnson, Andrew Raym, Andrew Gentry, Bryn Tucker and Tosh Baker. Kevin Pyne is on the list, and he's a take... Nothing more.

As for Cody Simon, ND is trying to do better. They're all in on 5 star ILB Sav'ell Smalls out of Wsshington, but so is everybody else nationally and when Bama, Clemson and Ohio State coming calling, Notre Dame usually just holds their beer... I'm picturing a Brandon Smith recruitment all over again. Still can't believe ND got punked by Penn State for that kid. Franklin is a darn good recruiter though. He works really hard at it.

ND should hit Ca. hard. ND used to be-in strong on the W.C. kids and as long as SC is severly wounded, and seemingly unable to recruit even locally, ND needs to take advantage. The ACC and SEC are raiding Ca. and the W.C. in SC’s absence.

Speaking of recruits -- with National Signing Day on the horizon in February 2019, does ND have any interests still out there? Just curious

Great post IrishInOntario, you're honestly the poster I follow the most closely. You're the 2nd coming of 35... miss that guy...

Reactions: Kelso86
Bru McCoy! he wants out at SC. Given a full release (or Pardon). Texas is the current suitor, but heck, ND throws the ball!
Take advantage of the Swann/Helton train wreck! Go after the kid! Rumors/Reports are He is askin* out of his LOI! And take a run at Drake Jackson too!

Nacua and Ford should be considered as ‘available’, both highly likely decommits.

Helton is a pariah! That Swann turns a deaf ear is incredible.

(all years following college football, I have never seen any major university athletics as scewed up as SC football/basketball).

Last edited:

I just want to thank you IIO for the time and effort you put in to passing info to the rest of us. I don't have the expertise to do what you do but, i really appreciate what you do

ADVERTISEMENT