ADVERTISEMENT

Ziegler, Snead, and Burnham

We can still go 4 DL when we play nickel. You pull a LB and add the nickel

If you want to go 3 DL in pass situations it would be Mills Botelho Baptiste
LOOK AT THE ROSTER! they will have a nickel back and a drop end...ie a LB at vyper that can drop.

That is where this is going. It gives you more flexibility and let you drop or rush from vyper side. Having the drop end let's you hide what your doing and keep your personnel consistent

This is what coaches mean by being "multiple".

It may not happen completely this year, but this is how they are building the roster.

They played nickel WAY too much last year which is what exposed jd and marist. It was just to predictable. Having a junior or a bothelo let's you drop into a 3 lb look unexpectedly post snap.

They line up in nickel look with Baptiste, mills, Onye, and junior.

The QB sees 4-2-5 nickel... But at snap Junior drops.

It's not a 4-2-5 it's a 3-3-5 with crowded crossing lanes and JD and marist aren't alone over the middle like last year.

It MAKES A TON of sense with their moves to vyper.

Rover is becoming a third safety not a hybrid safety/lb and vyper is becoming hybrid lb/de. It gets more speed on the field.

Youre missing major changes.

The big end size is down to 255-265

They are moving lb size guys over to vyper....around 240-250. They have a pro DC, where drop ends are very common and freeman likes a 3-3-5 defense.

The writing is on the wall. ESPECIALLY if Baptiste is giving pressure from the strong side.

What has been done in the past is not indicative of the future.
If you run a 3 down look you need your ends to be much bigger.

We're going to be multiple

LOOK AT THE ROSTER! they will have a nickel back and a drop end...ie a LB at vyper that can drop.

That is where this is going. It gives you more flexibility and let you drop or rush from vyper side. Having the drop end let's you hide what your doing and keep your personnel consistent

This is what coaches mean by being "multiple".

It may not happen completely this year, but this is how they are building the roster.

They played nickel WAY too much last year which is what exposed jd and marist. It was just to predictable. Having a junior or a bothelo let's you drop into a 3 lb look unexpectedly post snap.

They line up in nickel look with Baptiste, mills, Onye, and junior.

The QB sees 4-2-5 nickel... But at snap Junior drops.

It's not a 4-2-5 it's a 3-3-5 with crowded crossing lanes and JD and marist aren't alone over the middle like last year.

It MAKES A TON of sense with their moves to vyper.

Rover is becoming a third safety not a hybrid safety/lb and vyper is becoming hybrid lb/de. It gets more speed on the field.
If it makes you comfortable saying the vyper is a backer and is all of a sudden going to drop more, thats fine

But in reality, using Botelho to drop instead of rush will be a mistake. He may drop more than Foskey but its not going to be crazy

Vyper will still be rushing in the Foskey mold

If it makes you comfortable saying the vyper is a backer and is all of a sudden going to drop more, thats fine

But in reality, using Botelho to drop instead of rush will be a mistake. He may drop more than Foskey but its not going to be crazy

I'm NOT a fan of 3-3-5.

But, that is what these roster moves look like.

You don't need bigger ends, when you drop. The fact that you drop freezes the LT and they have to assume the drop end is an end not an lb. If you line up 3-3-5 then yes you need bigger ends.

They were exposed badly by all the nickel last year and most of the complaints about JD and marist looking out of position or slow was them chasing out of nickel where there were only two backers. It's obvious that they plan on playing 3 cbs or 3 safeties most downs. They've taken steps this off-season to use what used to be the vyper to cover their backside in these looks...ie drop. It will only work if mills, Baptiste, and Onye can get penetration.

I'm NOT a fan of 3-3-5.

You don't need bigger ends, when you drop. The fact that you drop freezes the LT and they have to assume the drop end is an end not an lb. If you line up 3-3-5 then yes you need bigger ends.

They were exposed badly by all the nickel last year and most of the complaints about JD and marist looking out of position or slow was them chasing out of nickel where there were only two backers. It's obvious that they plan on playing 3 cbs or 3 safeties most downs. They've taken steps this off-season to use what used to be the vyper to cover their backside in these looks...ie drop. It will only work if mills, Baptiste, and Onye can get penetration.
I agree, except it seems to me they haven’t got the kind of nose tackle to play either the multiple or classic 3-3-5. I strongly prefer Mills as an interior lineman, but he isn’t exactly the prototype space eating nose that clogs up the middle, etc…. I thought Aiden might be this guy, but haven’t heard anything about his recovery from injury or his play this Spring.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
I agree, except it seems to me they haven’t got the kind of nose tackle to play either the multiple or classic 3-3-5. I strongly prefer Mills as an interior lineman, but he isn’t exactly the prototype space eating nose that clogs up the middle, etc…. I thought Aiden might be this guy, but haven’t heard anything about his recovery from injury or his play this Spring.
To do it full time I would think they'd need a big nose as well, but apparently there are those that disagree with modern changes. I simply don't think you can stop the run with a 3-3-5 consistently. I want one space eater. I don't like 275 lb interior linemen.

If Rubio can handle a load and ND gets justin Scott though... Well. Dynamic changes quick.

I disagree. I think they want pressure from different spots and I am 100% for this. They want mills to be disruptive, they want Baptiste to be disruptive from SE.

The single pass rush threat got eaten up in most games against top talent. ND needs to be more diverse on their line pressures.

The days of a single vyper being the main rusher are likely over. We are now three DC's and a head coach beyond the defense that highlighted vyper and rover. Some aspects might remain, but they seem to be moving beyond it.

Again. Have not heard of him at drop end/vyper at all. They have zero desire to drop him to coverage.
Just because they don't want to drop him into coverage doesn't mean he can't play vyper some, or the smaller DE in some packages.

We have

Botelho
Cross
Mills
Baptiste

Liufau
Bertrand
Kiser

Morrison
Hart
Watts
Brown

Thats our base if it was today. Hopefully Sneed can jump Kiser. Kollie/Ziegler jump Liufau. Henderson jump Brown

And when we go to nickel, the transfer from Ok st comes in.
I hope harper plays a lot over brown/henderson. I think he's way better in coverage.

We can still go 4 DL when we play nickel. You pull a LB and add the nickel

If you want to go 3 DL in pass situations it would be Mills Botelho Baptiste
I'm more curious what they do in the 3 down when it's not a guaranteed pass, that's where we would get gashed. It would be 2nd and 10 we'd go to our small 3 down and give up an easy 7 yard run to make it a manageable third down.

Hopefully in non clearly passing situations we go with some more beef than those 3 in 3 down. Mills, onye, rubio or cross or ford.

I disagree. I think they want pressure from different spots and I am 100% for this. They want mills to be disruptive, they want Baptiste to be disruptive from SE.

The single pass rush threat got eaten up in most games against top talent. ND needs to be more diverse on their line pressures.

The days of a single vyper being the main rusher are likely over. We are now three DC's and a head coach beyond the defense that highlighted vyper and rover. Some aspects might remain, but they seem to be moving beyond it.
You have to stop the run first. What killed us last year was going to a smaller DLine at time and letting teams run on us. OSU, Marshall, USC

You have to stop the run first. What killed us last year was going to a smaller DLine at time and letting teams run on us. OSU, Marshall, USC
I totally agree, just relaying what I see. Size inside is much improved this year. If your middle is disruptive it can negate the smaller size. Last year our smaller guys plus marist just got swallowed by blocks.

We cannot be successful like that.

Last edited:
I'm more curious what they do in the 3 down when it's not a guaranteed pass, that's where we would get gashed. It would be 2nd and 10 we'd go to our small 3 down and give up an easy 7 yard run to make it a manageable third down.

Hopefully in non clearly passing situations we go with some more beef than those 3 in 3 down. Mills, onye, rubio or cross or ford.
Agreed. We have more beef that should be able to play this year..still no huge ng, but we can put 2-3 290 lbsers out there for short yardage.

I'm NOT a fan of 3-3-5.

Kiser was on the field for over 320 snaps last year

Botelho is playing vyper and hes still going to rush the passer a ton.

You're thinking the overhaul is coming immediately. It's not. We dont have the personnel

Agreed. We have more beef that should be able to play this year..still no huge ng, but we can put 2-3 290 lbsers out there for short yardage.
I never understood why we didn't put Mills, Cross, Rubio, Jayson A (Combination of 3 of them) in our 3 down look to try and at least clog the blockers. Interior wise we're all a year older and swappin Jayson for Onye. And hope Ford becomes ready or Aidan can be productive off injury.

You're thinking the overhaul is coming immediately. It's not. We dont have the personnel
I gotta think the majority of those 320 were in the first half of the year, I think he played close to 60 snaps vs UNC. Probably a lot vs Navy too.

I never understood why we didn't put Mills, Cross, Rubio, Jayson A (Combination of 3 of them) in our 3 down look to try and at least clog the blockers. Interior wise we're all a year older and swappin Jayson for Onye. And hope Ford becomes ready or Aidan can be productive off injury.
Because we didn't run much 3 down last year. We ran more 3 down in 21

You keep spouting this. With zero info other than your opinion.

The two guys likely in the 2 deep at vyper were playing linebacker last year. Yet you in no way acknowledge that they might want them to play... Linebacker as a drop end. That's nuts.

Botelho was playing rover last year. The idea of him being able to drop into coverage is not a stretch.

They moved a promising lb in junior t over to vyper...

Again... Getting smaller and fast than foskey and again very likely he has some lb skills ...as he was ya know a lb.

What personel are you waiting for? They don't run a gap dl so you can't say they need a huge ng. They have multiple 280-300 lbs guys that can play if needed.

So dl isn't an issue.

Lb isn't an issue it's actually a backlog.

Corner backs aren't impacted. We have four ready to go and another that can play.

So cb isn't an issue anymore

And safety has watts, Henderson, brown, and Harper... Plus if you count kiser as rover.

So safety isnt an issue anymore.

Please stop saying we don't have personnel. They have made multiple roster moves that all point towards this

You keep spouting this. With zero info other than your opinion.

The two guys likely in the 2 deep at vyper were playing linebacker last year. Yet you in know way acknowledge that they might want them to play... Linebacker as a drop end. That's nuts.

Botelho was playing rover last year. The idea of him being able to drop into coverage is not a stretch.

They moved a promising lb in junior t over to vyper...

Again... Getting smaller and fast than foskey and again very likely he has some lb skills ...as he was ya know a lb.

What personel are you waiting for? They don't run a gap dl so you can't say they need a huge ng. They have multiple 280-300 lbs guys that can play if needed.

So dl isn't an issue.

Lb isn't an issue it's actually a backlog.

Corner backs aren't impacted. We have four ready to go and another that can play.

So cb isn't an issue anymore

And safety has watts, Henderson, brown, and Harper... Plus if you count kiser as rover.

So safety isnt an issue anymore.

Please stop saying we don't have personnel. They have made multiple roster moves that all point towards this
Botelho was playing rover in spring and got moved to vyper in the fall

We dont have the personnel and we are going to be in mostly 4 down lineman like we were last year.

Botelho is going to be used like a pass rusher because thats what he does best. He'll drop more than Foskey but not much. Hes not great going backwards, hes really good coming forward amd hes our best pass rusher

We will find out when the year starts. You'll see multiple fronts with the 4 man front being the most prominent

Botelho
Cross
Mills
Baptiste

That will be the front four and you'll see that more often than any other set

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Because we didn't run much 3 down last year. We ran more 3 down in 21

We dont have the personnel and we are going to be in mostly 4 down lineman like we were last year.

Botelho is going to be used like a pass rusher because thats what he does best. He'll drop more than Foskey but not much. Hes not great going backwards, hes really good coming forward amd hes our best pass rusher

We will find out when the year starts. You'll see multiple fronts with the 4 man front being the most prominent

Botelho
Cross
Mills
Baptiste

Again. No facts to back it up just an opinion.

Thats fine, but you are completely ignoring

No one is left from the defensive staff that implemented that.

The head coach had tons of success with 3-3-5 at Cincy, and is recruiting that style player to ND.

And....you keep saying we don't have the people...when. It's very clear we do and that you are unable to articulate why we don't.

Botelho
Cross
Mills
Baptiste

I don't disagree with the front 4. I'm just saying you will be seeing botelho and Jr...drop in coverage more than in years past...

But apparently they can't do that. Because you say so.

I don't disagree with the front 4. I'm just saying you will be seeing botelho and Jr...drop in coverage more than in years past...

But apparently they can't do that. Because you say so.
What are you talking about. I specifically said wed drop more but not as much as you think.

Freeman and Golden were here last year and we ran mostly 4 down lineman. You can say opinion all you want. Watch the tape. Foskey probably rushed the passer close to 90 pecrent of his snaps and rarely dropped. Same with Justin and Botelho when they played

Botelho and Junior are both better coming Forward. Not playing backwards. That was/is their weakness

Like I said, we'll see. I'm going to bet we run more 4 down than 3. And botelho and the other vypers are used mainly to rush and not drop

We will see in the Fall

Again. No facts to back it up just an opinion.

Thats fine, but you are completely ignoring

No one is left from the defensive staff that implemented that.

The head coach had tons of success with 3-3-5 at Cincy, and is recruiting that style player to ND.

And....you keep saying we don't have the people...when. It's very clear we do and that you are unable to articulate why we don't.
You qre using opinion. Because Freeman has been here 2 years. And we run more 4 down than 3. And we ran more 4 in 22 than we did in 21

You're going to see some 3 down but we will be predominantly a 4 down team this season as well

Film Room: Notre Dame DC Marcus Freeman Brings Versatility https://www.si.com/college/notredam...ootball-film-room-marcus-freeman-base-defense

It's a good time to look at what freeman did at Cincinnati and start looking at the personel changes he's making.

It matches.

Note the 3-3-5 tight. Now think of why junior was moved to end. He was doing well as lb. It wasn't needed. This is basically a 4-2 look with a drop end/lb.

We will still use nickel and some 4-3, but if you don't think he's working us towards this you simply arent paying attention. And we have matching personel right now to run this.

Film Room: Notre Dame DC Marcus Freeman Brings Versatility https://www.si.com/college/notredam...ootball-film-room-marcus-freeman-base-defense

It's a good time to look at what freeman did at Cincinnati and start looking at the personel changes he's making.

It matches.

Note the 3-3-5 tight. Now think of why junior was moved to end. He was doing well as lb. It wasn't needed. This is basically a 4-2 look with a drop end/lb.

We will still use nickel and some 4-3, but if you don't think he's working us towards this you simply arent paying attention. And we have matching personel right now to run this.
Like I said we'll see

2 years in we're predominantly 4 down and the vyper dropped less in year 2 than year 1

Is he going to change that even though we dont have a vyper who is good at dropping and excels going backwards? We'll see

4-3 and a 4-2-5 with the transer being the nickel is what I see coming the most this year. With vyper dropping a little more than last year but not a drastic move

We will see

You qre using opinion. Because Freeman has been here 2 years. And we run more 4 down than 3. And we ran more 4 in 22 than we did in 21

You're going to see some 3 down but we will be predominantly a 4 down team this season as well
I don't know why we would ever (with our current roster) show our hand we are in a 3 down situation other than maybe hail mary. I agree we did it less in 22 than 21 but there were still many times in 22 where we were clearly in 3 down pre snap with a small dline and they got pushed around creating massive holes. Did a bunch vs USC and got eaten up on the ground.

And Marist, the guy most of us thought looked lost half the time, had 601 snaps…the most of any defensive player!

Reactions: IrishMike409
I don't know why we would ever (with our current roster) show our hand we are in a 3 down situation other than maybe hail mary. I agree we did it less in 22 than 21 but there were still many times in 22 where we were clearly in 3 down pre snap with a small dline and they got pushed around creating massive holes. Did a bunch vs USC and got eaten up on the ground.
SC is really the only game we switched up and tried running mostly from a 3 down front.

Big mistake.

The 3 down didnt work in 21 when we used it. It was really bad. People were on here going nuts that we did so much 3 down. 22 was way more 4 down. And they dropped Foskey a lot less than they did in 21

SC is really the only game we switched up and tried running mostly from a 3 down front.

Big mistake.

The 3 down didnt work in 21 when we used it. It was really bad. People were on here going nuts that we did so much 3 down. 22 was way more 4 down. And they dropped Foskey a lot less than they did in 21
Watched some highlights or usc game… gosh Justin and JD were bad in that game, just way too slow

Reports coming out of practice has a package with Rubio and Onye on the middle and Baptiste on the edge.. that's some beef.

May not have the big names this year but I'm excited about the size gains and the two deep in the middle

Reactions: IrishMike409

Big mistake.

Let's be fair. The front wasn't the issue, as we got tons of penetration. Ademiniola and foskey couldn't finish.

Think of how bad it could have been pulling the extra db lol

Also in the full practice today they had four primary defensive alignments..

4-3, 4-2-5 nickel, 3-3-5, and even 3-2-6 with three safeties.

Like it or not. This is happening.

Why wouldnt they practice all their defensive alignments? Why wouldnt they practice nickel and dime and multiple units?

You act like every team doesnt do this. We ran all that last year as well

The point is they are looking more like Cincinnati's defense than elkos.

Expectations need to change.

What’s unusual about this or not to like? Flexibility and confusion is paramount to a successful defense since Jesus wore short pants.

What’s unusual about this or not to like? Flexibility and confusion is paramount to a successful defense since Jesus wore short pants.
I don’t think we confused anyone with our D last year other than first game… we didn’t really hide our defensive alignment

I don’t think we confused anyone with our D last year other than first game… we didn’t really hide our defensive alignment
Gotcha, thanks. I wonder if this is the nature progression under a 2nd year (at ND) DC or the guys are progressing faster than expected?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT