ADVERTISEMENT

Zaire in same boat as last year

Irish2684

Future coach
Jan 4, 2013
Florida coach said all three QBs will play vs Michigan. Zaire had pretty much identical comments as last year when Kelly said both would play. Said it's not an ideal situation. I can see him sulking on the sidelines just like he did last year because he wasn't handed the QB position. I question his compete level. Seems to me he wants to be handed a starting QB position without actually going out and earning it.

Reactions: HRC08
Not sure if it has to do with his not wanting to compete - I think it has more to do with the fact that he apparently just isn't able to put-perform his competition to the point where the coaching staff(s) see him as the clear winner. In his mind he believes he should be the starter but his performance isn't convincing enough.

Florida coach said all three QBs will play vs Michigan. Zaire had pretty much identical comments as last year when Kelly said both would play. Said it's not an ideal situation. I can see him sulking on the sidelines just like he did last year because he wasn't handed the QB position. I question his compete level. Seems to me he wants to be handed a starting QB position without actually going out and earning it.
Still a good chance he gets the majority of snaps. If he plays well it will be his job.

Sounds like he's having issues with the passing part of the offense. I wondered if he would be affected picking up the offense after only summer camp. If I'm Jim McElwain I play him as veteran guy and let him play himself out of the starting line up. I live 90 minutes from Gainesville and they've had sh*t QBs the last few years and Malik can't be any worse.

I said months ago he should've gone to WMU and get reps reps reps and dominate. There would've been so many smaller D1 schools that would've handed him the QB1 job.

This was a huge mistake by him.

Its also kind of eerie that Florida had all those suspensions before the season. Deja vu all over again.

Its also kind of eerie that Florida had all those suspensions before the season. Deja vu all over again.
Hopefully they have a 4 and 8 year like the Irish did last year and Zaire gets drafted in the 2nd round at least.

I said months ago he should've gone to WMU and get reps reps reps and dominate. There would've been so many smaller D1 schools that would've handed him the QB1 job.

This was a huge mistake by him.
Yeah, I surely would have taken a year of free grad school at WMU over a free year at Harvard. :eek:

Usually it wouldn't matter, because they are usually playing some FCS school at home to open the season. This year it matters.

McElwain is playing games. He doesn't want to tip his hand to Harbaugh because Harbaugh has refused to release a roster. Forget a depth chart - he doesn't even want to tell you who is on his team (like we don't know ). Zaire will be the starter otherwise why would he be there?

Because he has used up his transfer possibility. Save injuries, a player only get 5 years to play four seasons.

I understand that. He had other 5th year options. I assume he chose to go where he was reasonably assured he would play. If he is going to ride the bench then maybe he needs to take his game to Canada.

I understand that. He had other 5th year options. I assume he chose to go where he was reasonably assured he would play. If he is going to ride the bench then maybe he needs to take his game to Canada.
I think he went where he saw the best opportunity to play, but I would be surprised if McElwain made him any hard promises about being the starter.

I think he went where he saw the best opportunity to play, but I would be surprised if McElwain made him any hard promises about being the starter.

And for all we know he may still be the starter. Florida insiders claim he has had difficulty learning his new playbook. On Saturday, we shall see.

And for all we know he may still be the starter. Florida insiders claim he has had difficulty learning his new playbook. On Saturday, we shall see.
Most of the guys on talk radio down here in the south seem convinced that he's going to be the starter. I think the cat will get out of the bag this week, since one of the three guys has got to get the yeoman's share of the snaps with the 1s.

Most of the guys on talk radio down here in the south seem convinced that he's going to be the starter. I think the cat will get out of the bag this week, since one of the three guys has got to get the yeoman's share of the snaps with the 1s.

I don't think Mac is playing head games. I think he wishes Zaire had learned the Gator playbook prior to the start of camp. I agree that a fully integrated Zaire gives Florida their best chance at winning.

I wonder if he has recovered his speed and quickness. He was a very good runner before he injured his ankle. I don't think he was nearly as effective running last season.

I believe there will be a package set aside just for MZ. He most likely will get action until he doesn't.

Coach investing in his future. Maybe FF threatened to transfer. I would have started MZ but i still think MZ will contriibute quality snaps.

Zaire went there of course hoping to be the starter. I bring it back to my original post. I just have a HUNCH that his compete level is not there. I'm not trying to bad mouth the kid or say he's not a good football player. I have a feeling that he expects to be handed a starting position and not work HARD for it. I have no inside knowledge and I base this off of what I saw last year when he wasn't playing. He stood on the sidelines completely disengaged in everything that was going on with the offense and the couple times he had to go in for meaningful snaps he looked lost. Another example is what is written above about not learning the playbook. If that is true what is his excuse for not being completely prepared to compete and win the starting job? Maybe his work ethic needs to be a bit better? Either way he's a college athlete that most likely had no future of football being his source of income so I wish him the best in whatever he does in life. Go Irish!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT