ADVERTISEMENT

Young, i missed something big

Yeah for some reason at ND when you get injured, you lose your starting spot when you get healthy. It's happened multiple times the last few years. Folston, Zaire (Kizer was decent, but only reason he did so well when Zaire got injured was because he had Fuller.) Armstrong (yes I know he's starting today, but if TJ was healthy he'd barely see the field for some reason even though he was the starter before he got hurt) and Young who was supposed to be our deep threat and #2 receiver opposite Claypool.

Honestly, I'd feel some kind of way about it if I was Young and saw Finke getting massive amounts of playing time and McKinnley taking my spot. I have no idea what went down behind the scenes of course but good luck to him. He's going to graduate and move on.

@zskisonof66 wait, you have to be kidding me about Kizer/Zaire... DeShone Kizer was a second round pick in the NFL. Zaire ended up at Florida and went 0-2 before being benched. This is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen in my life.

@zskisonof66 wait, you have to be kidding me about Kizer/Zaire... DeShone Kizer was a second round pick in the NFL. Zaire ended up at Florida and went 0-2 before being benched. This is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen in my life.
I'm just saying Zaire lost his starting spot because he got injured. And Kizer is trash never should have been drafted where he was. Not saying Zaire was any better, but I've never seen so many starters lose their starting job to injury and never get a shot after they get healthy. Except for Shawn Crawford, but that could easily be due to the fact that he's a db and you can have 5 on the field at once in dime

Reactions: Kelso86
I'm just saying Zaire lost his starting spot because he got injured. And Kizer is trash never should have been drafted where he was. Not saying Zaire was any better, but I've never seen so many starters lose their starting job to injury and never get a shot after they get healthy. Except for Shawn Crawford, but that could easily be due to the fact that he's a db and you can have 5 on the field at once in dime
Zaire got a shot. Cost us the opening game of that season.

Reactions: 88ND
He never got a real shot. Kizer and Zaire split series the first 4 series. Both did nothing their first drive of that game. And again not saying Zaire was better, just that he lost his starting job because Kizer had a good year when he was injured and it started a qb battle in the off season, splitting reps with 1st team from the start. And as we can see from Kizer's nfl career, he should never have been drafted where he was, if at all. He had Fuller, Prosise, Adams, and 3 Oline that are now starters in the NFL his 1st year when he replaced Zaire.

Yeah for some reason at ND when you get injured, you lose your starting spot when you get healthy. It's happened multiple times the last few years. Folston, Zaire (Kizer was decent, but only reason he did so well when Zaire got injured was because he had Fuller.) Armstrong (yes I know he's starting today, but if TJ was healthy he'd barely see the field for some reason even though he was the starter before he got hurt) and Young who was supposed to be our deep threat and #2 receiver opposite Claypool.
Thanks all

Zaire lost his spot because Kizer was better. A lot better. Like not even close.

Reactions: Pennick4

That's how Joe Montana and Tom Brady saw the field.

Well... It also tells you something else.

BK is perhaps clueless until he sees them in the actual games because he was forced to give them a chance.

His foresight appears to be in the potato room of the basement.

"Zaire got a shot. Cost us the opening game of that season."

2 things --
one -- and I was not there in fall practice -- but, gut tells me that Zaire did not get a solid chance in fall camp, and it showed in Game 1 at Texas (I believe he only played maybe 3 series the whole game) --
two -- if you think Zaire cost ND the opening game that year, you simply did not watch that game -- how many teams can put up 47 points, and STILL LOSE in OT? If ANYONE cost ND that game, it was Kelly's "confidence" in BVG and his defense.

I agree completely. Once you earn that starting spot, it is yours for the rest of your career. If you get hurt, you should immediately be put back in the starting spot when you recover regardless of whether or not your backup is better. This is the American way and happens all the time in sports, business, and life...just, apparently, not at ND. I don't know about you but I still think that poor Wally Pipp got screwed!

2 things --
one -- and I was not there in fall practice -- but, gut tells me that Zaire did not get a solid chance in fall camp, and it showed in Game 1 at Texas (I believe he only played maybe 3 series the whole game) --
two -- if you think Zaire cost ND the opening game that year, you simply did not watch that game -- how many teams can put up 47 points, and STILL LOSE in OT? If ANYONE cost ND that game, it was Kelly's "confidence" in BVG and his defense.

Did not mean to imply Zaire cost us that game. Him getting a shot probably did though. If Kelly had just made the obvious decision and gone with it, we probably beat Texas. BVG's defense obviously didn't help either.

To all of you who are saying that when the starter gets hurt and the backup comes in and plays really well, should Drew Brees had to have competed to get his job back against Teddy Bridgewater who was playing pretty lights out while Brees was hurt?
I neve said Zaire was better, just that he lost his job to an injury and Kizer came in. And if you think Kizer was good....I don't even know what to say to that. There's a reason he got benched and has been a backup and no is lucky to even be on a team as the #3 QB on the Raiders. He is trash and got bailed out by the talent around him. At ND he had NFL talent all around him when he replaced Zaire and went 10-3. He then went 4-8 the next year when the talent went to the nfl and he still had EQ and Josh Adams. And yes I know that was with BVG as D coordinator. He regressed his second year just like all other qbs under Kelly.

To all of you who are saying that when the starter gets hurt and the backup comes in and plays really well, should Drew Brees had to have competed to get his job back against Teddy Bridgewater who was playing pretty lights out while Brees was hurt?
I neve said Zaire was better, just that he lost his job to an injury and Kizer came in. And if you think Kizer was good....I don't even know what to say to that. There's a reason he got benched and has been a backup and no is lucky to even be on a team as the #3 QB on the Raiders. He is trash and got bailed out by the talent around him. At ND he had NFL talent all around him when he replaced Zaire and went 10-3. He then went 4-8 the next year when the talent went to the nfl and he still had EQ and Josh Adams. And yes I know that was with BVG as D coordinator. He regressed his second year just like all other qbs under Kelly.
We dont have anyone who has been close to Drew Brees so that really makes zero sense. And Kizer was very talented and good. Much better than Zaire ever was. And he did regress. Part of that on the coaches and part on him

Were Tim Tebow and Vince Young trash because they couldn’t stick around the NFL? How about Leinart? Was Jimmy Clausen trash because he had a bad record because his defenses were terrible? Should Drew Bledsoe have gotten his job back from Tom Brady? Every point you try to make here is wrong.

2 things --
Zaire 2-5 23 yds 0 TDS, Kizer 15-24 215 yds, 5 TDS ... Zaire barely played after he sputtered first few drives. EQ was a beast

And, if ND would have had 1/2 of a defense that night, could have come out of Texas with a win!

And if Kelly hadn't decided to set up a fg in OT knowing full well we hadn't stopped the entire 2nd half.

Last post I'm doing on this, OP asked what happened to Michael Young, not Zaire. Young was the starter before he broke his collar bone. He came back healthy and almost took a kickoff back if he doesn't just drop it. The best special teams play we have had this year. After that he barely sees the field, next game he doesn't play, then puts in to the transfer portal. Tell me, what WR do we have right now besides Claypool has shown anything consistently. I even acknowledged in my original post that Zaire was not that good and this entire post started talking about 1 situation out of the many that I provided as a possible explanation for why he might have entered the transfer portal. And I stand by that Kizer was not that good. Look at his stats. Barely a 60% passer with a td-int ratio of just over 2:1 and average yards per season at just under 3k per season. Even with having NFL talent all around him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT