ADVERTISEMENT

Would ND join the ACC if it took that to keep ACC schools from bolting?

Win5002

Irish Insider
Jan 3, 2006
I'm curious if ND fans think ND would join the ACC for football if the ACC was in trouble due to schools such as Virginia and Ga. Tech joining the B1G and/or NC & Va. Tech joining the SEC?(This is of course assuming the ACC would agree to stay together if ND joined for football). Because if that happened I don't think it is long before 4-6 teams left for the Big 12, or the B1G could look at another school or two such as a FSU.

Would ND still be committed to independence if this was the scenario or would they feel joining a conference is inevitable?

ND does what they see as best for themselves. Commitment and/or loyalty are lessor priorities. Current arrangement is as far as it goes relative to giving up independence. They're no longer "special" (in their own eyes) w/o independence.

I'm curious if ND fans think ND would join the ACC for football if the ACC was in trouble due to schools such as Virginia and Ga. Tech joining the B1G and/or NC & Va. Tech joining the SEC?(This is of course assuming the ACC would agree to stay together if ND joined for football). Because if that happened I don't think it is long before 4-6 teams left for the Big 12, or the B1G could look at another school or two such as a FSU.

Would ND still be committed to independence if this was the scenario or would they feel joining a conference is inevitable?

ND joining a conference is not "inevitable." Next.

Reactions: IRISHJD98

If the ship were sinking, why would Notre Dame feel more likely to jump on it?

Reactions: TurnoverMachine
I notice that we've had couple posters with older "Joined" dates making their "first" posts on our board and starting threads today.

Anyone know what's up with that?

I notice that we've had couple posters with older "Joined" dates making their "first" posts on our board and starting threads today.

Anyone know what's up with that?

It's the new format. On the old format your post count from your home board carried over to a rival board, now it doesn't. I have a different post count on Chant and on the Sound Off board my count is zero. If I would post on the Sound Off board, it wouldn't count towards my post total here.

It's the new format. On the old format your post count from your home board carried over to a rival board, now it doesn't. I have a different post count on Chant and on the Sound Off board my count is zero. If I would post on the Sound Off board, it wouldn't count towards my post total here.

Thank you, I don't post on any other boards so I didn't realize that. Its helpful to know.

It appears to be happening here also.

For some reason, for the first 30 or so days, everyone retained their post counts on the boards they had posted on (at least the national boards). But even now we are seeing 'old' posters come to the boards, and have a new post count. Even though it is guys we know had thousands of previous posts

Something to do with the new boards and the formatting.

Reactions: ForeverNole22
ND does what they see as best for themselves. Commitment and/or loyalty are lessor priorities. Current arrangement is as far as it goes relative to giving up independence. They're no longer "special" (in their own eyes) w/o independence.
Is there a school out there that doesn't put its best interests first when making decisions? I don't think so.

Reactions: TurnoverMachine
The ACC is the best top to bottom conference in the Country as far as combined Athletics and Academics. Add in that they have a footprint in the prime recruiting area of the south east and Florida and its a match made in heaven. The ACC is going nowhere. ND is not going anywhere else either, it makes no sense. Get over it. ND isnt going to go save the Big 10 (Multiple weak athletic teams) or the Big 12 (The everything is Texas conference) If the worst case were to happen and ND had to join a conference to get into the playoffs, then I would look at ND, Navy, and Penn State as new ACC members before I would see ND going regional in the Big 10 or Texas. Remember the ACC has kicked off expansion every single time and the main reason Maryland left the ACC was because their athletic department over spent for 15 years and Under Armor wanted into the Big 10. Louisville was an upgrade over that dumpster fire.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
The ACC is the best top to bottom conference in the Country as far as combined Athletics and Academics. Add in that they have a footprint in the prime recruiting area of the south east and Florida and its a match made in heaven. The ACC is going nowhere. ND is not going anywhere else either, it makes no sense. Get over it. ND isnt going to go save the Big 10 (Multiple weak athletic teams) or the Big 12 (The everything is Texas conference) If the worst case were to happen and ND had to join a conference to get into the playoffs, then I would look at ND, Navy, and Penn State as new ACC members before I would see ND going regional in the Big 10 or Texas. Remember the ACC has kicked off expansion every single time and the main reason Maryland left the ACC was because their athletic department over spent for 15 years and Under Armor wanted into the Big 10. Louisville was an upgrade over that dumpster fire.

I just wonder if ND feels the ACC is worth saving is all or if they are simply a current parking spot for convenience. I think this has a lot to do whether the ACC survives or not. When the B1G gets their new tv deal the revenue gap will be a lot larger between the B1G and the ACC and as the SEC network continues to prosper the SEC gap over the ACC will widen as well. A few teams may want to capitalize on that.

But the silence on the board here probably says all there is to say about ND's commitment to the ACC.

I just wonder if ND feels the ACC is worth saving is all or if they are simply a current parking spot for convenience. I think this has a lot to do whether the ACC survives or not. When the B1G gets their new tv deal the revenue gap will be a lot larger between the B1G and the ACC and as the SEC network continues to prosper the SEC gap over the ACC will widen as well. A few teams may want to capitalize on that.

But the silence on the board here probably says all there is to say about ND's commitment to the ACC.

Again, if the conference were collapsing, why would we be more likely to join it?

It appears to be happening here also.

For some reason, for the first 30 or so days, everyone retained their post counts on the boards they had posted on (at least the national boards). But even now we are seeing 'old' posters come to the boards, and have a new post count. Even though it is guys we know had thousands of previous posts

Something to do with the new boards and the formatting.

Thanks.

Reactions: IrishBlooded

OK Kreskin, Whatever you say.

Reactions: NDSMC78

Your error is in feeling that the ACC needs saving.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Seems like we answered this question after football programs started disappearing from the Big East.

I have never thought you would but the ACC kool-aid drinkers seem to think you will.
The acc has been great for ND athletics. I don't see us going anywhere. I also don't see the acc falling apart. But you never know about the teams that are definitely second banana in their state, like GA Tech, NC State, VA Tech. It seems like those are the teams that are never totally happy.

I have never thought you would but the ACC kool-aid drinkers seem to think you will.

Well, they're stupid then. When the Big East collapsed, ND didn't join the Big East to try to "save" it. If the ACC is doing the same, I have no reason to believe that ND would try to "save" it.

For what it's worth, if conferences actually become 16+ team leagues, I sense that at some point, those conferences will break apart again.

If the ship were sinking, why would Notre Dame feel more likely to jump on it?

I think if football conferences broke off to form their own super division, ND might have to join somewhere. Otherwise, IMO they would let the ACC sink.

Well, they're stupid then. When the Big East collapsed, ND didn't join the Big East to try to "save" it. If the ACC is doing the same, I have no reason to believe that ND would try to "save" it.

For what it's worth, if conferences actually become 16+ team leagues, I sense that at some point, those conferences will break apart again.
For football, at 16 teams they are no longer a conference, they are two affiliated divisions. For the life of me I don't know why people think that would be good for college football.

For football, at 16 teams they are no longer a conference, they are two affiliated divisions. For the life of me I don't know why people think that would be good for college football.

I personally think the 14 teams which comprise the SEC are too many. Schools are going several years without playing each other. What's the value of being in a conference if you only rarely play other teams in the same conference?

I personally think the 14 teams which comprise the SEC are too many. Schools are going several years without playing each other. What's the value of being in a conference if you only rarely play other teams in the same conference?

I am not here to say whether they are good or bad but I'm not sure ND knows what is best for conferences, that's kind of ironic.

The one thing I would say is if with the larger conferences I think it would make sense to go to 10 conference games, or even if they stay at 9 consider allowing teams to setup interdivision games between the teams as a non-conference game in seasons they are not scheduled to meet as a conference game. I think the Big 12 should have done this with Oklahoma & Nebraska. For instance in the B1G, I can see where it is an advantage for Iowa or Nebraska to play Rutgers & Maryland as a non-conference game in years they don't meet if needed.

I am not here to say whether they are good or bad but I'm not sure ND knows what is best for conferences, that's kind of ironic.

The one thing I would say is if with the larger conferences I think it would make sense to go to 10 conference games, or even if they stay at 9 consider allowing teams to setup interdivision games between the teams as a non-conference game in seasons they are not scheduled to meet as a conference game. I think the Big 12 should have done this with Oklahoma & Nebraska. For instance in the B1G, I can see where it is an advantage for Iowa or Nebraska to play Rutgers & Maryland as a non-conference game in years they don't meet if needed.

Who would hold the tv rights for an interdivision "non-conference" game? I really don't know much about the conferences' variious revenue sharing plans, but it seems that some of the more marketable programs might be able to negotiate bigger individual paydays for out of conference games.

With current economics dictating that the major teams play seven homes games almost every season, that would mark the end of competitive non-conference games, and that's pretty much the end of national interest in college football.

I specifically stated that it was my personal opini9on. I did not suggest that I "know what is best for conferences.

I also think that playing members of your conference as "non-conference" games is a poor idea.

Who would hold the tv rights for an interdivision "non-conference" game? I really don't know much about the conferences' variious revenue sharing plans, but it seems that some of the more marketable programs might be able to negotiate bigger individual paydays for out of conference games.

The conference they play in owns them just like they would own a non conference home game.
I can see where a team does it for exposure in a geographic area they want to recruit but don't play that team often. Or they just want to maintain a rivalry with that team but are not guaranteed a game with them. Also if you get to 4 super conferences where there is a conference playoff which is probably 4 teams within the conference giving a defacto 16 team, I can see where a B1G conference would not always want to lump Michigan & OSU in the same pod/division so they are always eliminating each other. They could still play each other every year but maybe if the conference scheduled every school equal number of times some years it wouldn't count towards the conference record giving both a better chance at the conference playoffs.

I specifically stated that it was my personal opini9on. I did not suggest that I "know what is best for conferences.

I also think that playing members of your conference as "non-conference" games is a poor idea.

fair enough that it was merely your opinion.

Yeah, like we've got no experience with being in a conference from The Big East, the ACC, the CCHA, the WCHA and Hockey East.

Last edited:
Yeah, like we've got no experience with being in a conference from The Big East, the ACC, the CCHA, the WCHA and Hockey East.

How would any of those conferences survive if their members were members like ND? The only revenue sport you are even referring to is basketball and it is quite a bit less than football.

I'm curious if Texas says they would join the ACC with 3 other regional partners, is ND still opposed to the ACC? Basically establishing the ACC as a Power league indefinitely going forward, and probably making it 4 power leagues instead of 5.

I'm curious if Texas says they would join the ACC with 3 other regional partners, is ND still opposed to the ACC? Basically establishing the ACC as a Power league indefinitely going forward, and probably making it 4 power leagues instead of 5.
Why would anyone want a 20 team conference? What does that accomplish?

Why would anyone want a 20 team conference? What does that accomplish?

Agreed. What's the point of having a conference at that point? You have two 10-team divisions, and you essentially never play anyone in the other division. Furthermore, who, other than Texas, is joining this supposed league?

I just do not see the appeal to having a super conference where you play the same 10 teams year after year after year. What fun is that? I understand rivals because ND has them but I like the verity in playing different programs.

Wouldn't it be great if some programs broke away from their conferences and became independent like Notre Dame.

Reactions: G_a_r_y
I just do not see the appeal to having a super conference where you play the same 10 teams year after year after year. What fun is that? I understand rivals because ND has them but I like the verity in playing different programs.

Wouldn't it be great if some programs broke away from their conferences and became independent like Notre Dame.
There's a whole new generation of CFB fans that have no idea how many independents there were just a short time ago. Including major programs like FSU, Penn State, Miami, VA Tech, West Virginia, South Carolina & Boston College. The problem with independence isn't football, it's trying to run all of the other sports programs without a conference structure to dictate the majority of your schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT