ADVERTISEMENT

Why would a coach ever say this?

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
Heading into the FSU / LSU matchup, with so much media attention and hype, LSU head coach Brian Kelly was asked about the matchup while on a radio appearance.

"We’re going to beat the heck out of Florida State," Kelly said on the radio.

That might be one of the worst things to say about a top-ten matchup and the opposition, and it's hard to imagine that wasn't used as a motivation tactic from the Seminoles.

After the game, Florida State head coach Mike Norvell was able to respond.
“It’s good to be able to play the game," Norvell said postgame while cracking a smile.

The No. 8 ranked Seminoles made a statement with their play, not on the radio a week ahead of a big matchup. They're going to ride off this momentum heading into future matchups and have the chance to have a more than special season.

Reactions: BGI User 756
May this humble him and LSU ends up having a great season.. J Daniels is a close friends nephew.. good kid!

Reactions: theskibro
Heading into the FSU / LSU matchup, with so much media attention and hype, LSU head coach Brian Kelly was asked about the matchup while on a radio appearance.

"We’re going to beat the heck out of Florida State," Kelly said on the radio.

That might be one of the worst things to say about a top-ten matchup and the opposition, and it's hard to imagine that wasn't used as a motivation tactic from the Seminoles.

After the game, Florida State head coach Mike Norvell was able to respond.
“It’s good to be able to play the game," Norvell said postgame while cracking a smile.

The No. 8 ranked Seminoles made a statement with their play, not on the radio a week ahead of a big matchup. They're going to ride off this momentum heading into future matchups and have the chance to have a more than special season.
What radio station ?

Give us the call letters.

‘Thanks

Here you go, at the 13:55 mark. You are welcome. 😆
Thanks

That appears to be an L.S.U. radio station where the audience is L.S.U. students and fans.

Would anyone be highly critical of Marcus Freeman if he said it on WNDU ?

I can’t imagine grown men who work for a living, fixating and being obsessed with everything that Brian Kelly does.

HINT: He’s gone ! He’s no longer affiliated with ND ! He’s gone, get over him and past him. !

Reactions: chaseball
Thanks

That appears to be an L.S.U. radio station where the audience is L.S.U. students and fans.

I can’t imagine grown men who work for a living, fixating and being obsessed with everything that Brian Kelly does.

HINT: He’s gone ! He’s no longer affiliated with ND ! He’s gone, get over him and past him. !
Hell yeah I would be critical.

You dont do something like that.

Maybe he learned his lesson

Thanks

I am over him, but it's fun watching him put his foot in his mouth and getting blown out in big games. His departure was long overdue.

Great coaches like Holtz, Ara, Leahy would never say that. Holtz would often times be complimentary of a top 5/10 team

Last edited:
Great coaches like Holtz, Ara, Leahy would never say that. Holtz would often times be complimentary of a top 5/10 team
First of all, I would agree it is a bad idea.

That being said, I was a personal witness to Lou Holtz saying, “we’re gonna beat the dog out of Miami tomorrow” in 1988 at the Stepan Center Friday night pep rally. It worked out OK that weekend.

Reactions: NDinNJ
First of all, I would agree it is a bad idea.

That being said, I was a personal witness to Lou Holtz saying, “we’re gonna beat the dog out of Miami tomorrow” in 1988 at the Stepan Center Friday night pep rally. It worked out OK that weekend.
Well Miami was different, there was a lot of animosity going into that game. Plus that's a pep rally, Find me a recording of that. 😂 What Kelly did was blab it in the media for everyone to hear.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
Well Miami was different, there was a lot of animosity going into that game. Plus that's a pep rally, Find me a recording of that. 😂 What Kelly did was blab it in the media for everyone to hear.
That’s what a wasted 100 mil gets you!

What radio station ?

Give us the call letters.

‘Thanks
You thought you had him.. Damn so close
Now to cover your embarrassment you come up with a pathetic replay like "oh well that's on an LSU radio station"
To make it worse object of your affection named Brian Kelly today during a press conference pretended like he never said it

Reactions: 3daughters
Thanks

Yes I would. Why disrespect your opponent and give them any additional motivation? Another football nuance you miss. You don’t think that quote would leak?! Lol

As for someone who is telling other posters to forget Kelly…you should take your own advice. You have posts going in 3 different threads where you are either talking about or defending Kelly

Yes I would. Why disrespect your opponent and give them any additional motivation? Another football nuance you miss. You don’t think that quote would leak?! Lol

As for someone who is telling other posters to forget Kelly…you should take your own advice. You have posts going in 3 different threads where you are either talking about or defending Kelly
This. Every media in todays hyper communicative world is a Public outlet and heard by all. Pods, local radio, etc, it all finds its way ubiquitously.

As for Kelly - everyone has a right to determine the amount of time he lives in their head. For many, the way he left and things he did and said are grudge worthy

I am over him, but it's fun watching him put his foot in his mouth and getting blown out in big games. His departure was long overdue.

If anything Lou would talk up the opponent

Last edited:
I really like Freeman, seems like a great coach and person. But BK seems like such a jerk. I haven't liked him since the way he left UC, but that tragic student filming incident took it over the top. The guy took zero responsibility. I know he took you guys back to the old days, but he is beneath the respect and tradition of Notre Dame.

I really like Freeman, seems like a great coach and person. But BK seems like such a jerk. I haven't liked him since the way he left UC, but that tragic student filming incident took it over the top. The guy took zero responsibility. I know he took you guys back to the old days, but he is beneath the respect and tradition of Notre Dame.
they way he treated players and others during the first 2-4 years! he was despicable.

Thanks

Oh,my ears with all this shouting!!!

Reactions: rivals50
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT