ADVERTISEMENT

Which RB will step forward and be the man.

CJP is not actually a RB; only Folston can be said to be the consideration. And frankly he already stepped up last year.

Folston clearly stepped up last year and should be primed for a great year running behind this OL. Procise is impressive and his TD run against LSU was outstanding. Like TWalsh above, I expect these two to form one of our best running duos in years.

Reactions: Bodizephax
CJ is a freak. If he and Folston stay healthy no one else even matters. Would like to see Williams step up at some point too. I don't know if Bryant will ever get "it."

I think in the football of today you're better off with several options at the RB position.

Three is hard to juggle and keep everyone happy but 2 guys getting 35-40 carries a game IMO is the best scenario especially if they possess different skills.

I think in the football of today you're better off with several options at the RB position.

Three is hard to juggle and keep everyone happy but 2 guys getting 35-40 carries a game IMO is the best scenario especially if they possess different skills.

^ I agree, except that injuries are an undeniable fact. 12 games and you can count on a few games where 1 or even 2 backs will be unavailable.

we are assuming Bryant is allowed to participate in practices and othe team activities; else he may need time to get game ready.

we are assuming Bryant is allowed to participate in practices and othe team activities; else he may need time to get game ready.

He's allowed to practice and participate in team activities. That's been reported both on this site elsewhere.

The real question here is how do the coaches work him into practice?
Without the suspension, it would seem like you'd want to get Bryant and Prosise a lot of reps in practice, as Folston clearly has most of the fundementals down and what's most important is keeping him game ready and healthy and Bryant/Prosise have mountains of potential but are still "raw" and every rep will help them

The issue with the suspension is, how many meaningful reps can you really afford to give to a guy who can't play for 4 games? How many (if any) reps dow Bryant lose? Do you give most of those extra reps to Prosise and Folston? Do you give a lot of those reps to Dexter Williams?

Personally, I'd like to see Prosise get most of Bryants reps, but have Bryant be the LEAD back on the scout team, taking as many reps there as possible. Let him get the defense ready, get a bunch of touches (even if they're with the scout team) and prove to the team that he's really ready to work and come back from this.

I guess we'll see how it all shakes out once fall camp gets rolling

remember the best RB might be Zaire. He adds something Golson did not provide a true run threat off the zone read. Golson extended plays with his feet . MZ will run to score. This guy will give the run game a two- headed monster at ALL times in the backfield.

Folston is the best running back, MZ is a great threat to run from the qb position but he isn't a running back.

My thoughts on the carry distribution by seasons end (13 games):

Folston -- 225 carries (17.5 carries/game)
Zaire -- 165 carries (13 carries/game)
Prosise -- 75 carries (5.5 carries/game)
Bryant -- 70 carries (7.5 carries/game) --- Based on a 9 game season
Williams -- 65 carries (5.0 carries/game)
Carlisle -- 20 carries (1.5 carries/game)
Hunter -- 10 carries (0.75 carries/game)

That puts us at 630 rushes (would have been about 10th in CFB in 2014, most for any ND team in 10+ years) and by my estimation of ~1,000 offensive plays in 2015 right in the sweet spot for run/pass ration (60%-65%) for the 2015 season

My main concern with that distribution would be Folson or Zaire getting worn down or injured as the season goes on. I wish that Bryant hadn't got in trouble so that we could count on him for 100-150 carries (7-12 a game over a 13 game season) as I think that could really help the team out as the season wears on

Folston is clearly number 1 and would have been without the suspension. Who knows maybe this will finally be a wake up call for Bryant. Could work out well coming in fresh after 4 games. Can't wait to see how the utilize Prosise.

Good news is the Oline should make it much easier for a freshman RB to step up and get some meaningful playing time here and there.

Folston is clearly number 1 and would have been without the suspension. Who knows maybe this will finally be a wake up call for Bryant. Could work out well coming in fresh after 4 games. Can't wait to see how the utilize Prosise.

Good news is the Oline should make it much easier for a freshman RB to step up and get some meaningful playing time here and there.

wake up call?

chatter is his prior position coach has been up his butt on this in past.

ADVERTISEMENT