ADVERTISEMENT

What's the minimum number of games Kelly needs to win to keep his job

FSUTribe76

Shakes Down The Thunder
Jan 23, 2008
So just curious as an outsider, what's the minimum number of games Kelly needs to keep his job? What's the instant firing line?

So just curious as an outsider, what's the minimum number of games Kelly needs to keep his job? What's the instant firing line?
To actually be fired at the end of the 2015 season we'd have to go 6-6 or maybe 7-5.

I am sure this will go over well. I would say troll harder but I am guessing you will get a 30-40 response thread going here.

I'm not trolling just curious what the tolerance/cutoff line is. I had a good discussion with some of you here just talking about expectations for example (because that's the teams I know and already looked up) in the past 20 years FSU finished above the top 11 in the final AP/BCS poll 12 of the years and that included our much bemoaned within our fandom "Lost Decade". Meanwhile ND only placed twice above the top 11 in the final AP/BCS during the same 20 year period. So obviously when it came to FSU, just a handful of years outside of the top 11 was sufficient for our boosters to run off a legendary coach. So where is the cut off for Kelly.

I wanted your opinion of the situation to judge where ND expectations are and I don't mean the preseason "we're going undefeated" optimism most fanbases have at the moment, I mean the "do this or you're not Notre Dame Material" cutoff.

Hes safe until he decides to leave for the NFL or until AD leaves.

Why do you say that? What makes him untouchable (and because tone doesnt come across I'm just asking why you believe and am not making a snide comment)? I'd say Jimbo would get calls for his head even after the last three years with a 500 season and two 500 seasons would probably mean a pink slip.

FSU fans starting such nonsense! He is higher rated as a coach than Jumbo and will only leave if he moves on to the NFL because he is a top 5 cfb coach. Something Jumbo is not even though he emptied out a prison to get his wins.

Until he wins a championship, he is not on the same level as Jimbo. I watched a replay of the FSU and ND games the other night and still can't believe the Irish lost. Some bad play calling did not help but they were in a position to win the game and they came away short. Going for it on 4th down with 3 yard to go in the first half really changed the momentum.

I'd say he's safe at 9. 7-8 gets people calling for his head. 6 or fewer and he's gone.

THIS But reality is if he loses 3 games this year he should be toast Charlie Weis could win 9 - 10 games with this roster. Kelly should win em all or lose one This team has every piece you need to win every game. Only coaching or an off game or a team like USC playing their best would result in a L

Reactions: FSUTribe76
FSU fans starting such nonsense! He is higher rated as a coach than Jumbo and will only leave if he moves on to the NFL because he is a top 5 cfb coach. Something Jumbo is not even though he emptied out a prison to get his wins.

:rolleyes:...... Too funny. Then you woke up.

Which username made that BS up?

Not even most ND fans think that.

Here. This is just a start. Entertain yourself with some reality.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-128-college-football-coaches-2014

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000360745

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/top-10-coaches-in-college-football/

Who was in prison? Enlighten us.

Nice hijack attempt by the way. FAIL!

BK isn't going anywhere. He did beat FSU last season and that is a big plus for the guy. The better question is how many wins will it take for BK to jump to the NFL?

your other ID stated that ND is out-recruiting Jimbo and now you say BK is a better coach; but Jimbo has a NC and a win over ND.

BK isn't going anywhere. He did beat FSU last season and that is a big plus for the guy. The better question is how many wins will it take for BK to jump to the NFL?
Sorry, but he didn't beat FSU last year. He should have but after seeing the replay a couple of nights ago, he probably was the reason why we lost. Some bad play calling, 4th and 3 gamble on his own 48 yard line that failed, obvious offensive interference by Procise, and his emotional beating series after series stopped Golson from running it into the EZ in the last minute (Golson slid to avoid a turnover).

Three blown calls by the ACC crew on the final two plays , all benefiting FSU on their home turf . That trumps any bad play calling as you see it. The lads played way too hard for a hack like Pat Ryan to steal the show.

Reactions: NDSMC78
Trollface-Fishing.png

Reactions: Bodizephax
1)TD called back, 2) FSU player taking his helmet off on the field in the direct vision of guess who, Pat Ryan, immediately following the negated game winning TD, and 3) EGs interception was actually caught out of bounds right in the line of vision of the Back Judge. Two out off those three blown calls directly affected the outcome of the game. It's hard enough beating the #1 team on their field using their officials without this nonsense. Trust me on this, BK thinks of these finals moments of the FSU game every single day. Our kids played too good for these hacks to take the game away from them.

Reactions: end_23
1)TD called back, 2) FSU player taking his helmet off on the field in the direct vision of guess who, Pat Ryan, immediately following the negated game winning TD, and 3) EGs interception was actually caught out of bounds right in the line of vision of the Back Judge. Two out off those three blown calls directly affected the outcome of the game. It's hard enough beating the #1 team on their field using their officials without this nonsense. Trust me on this, BK thinks of these finals moments of the FSU game every single day. Our kids played too good for these hacks to take the game away from them.
TD should have been called back (it was offensive interference). Don't know about the FSU player taking his helmet off but I would hope we would win the game on how we played on the field...not some technicality (Pitt game in 2012 should ring a bell). When Golson threw the last interception and it was caught out of bounds by FSU, it was 4th down so it does not matter. Jeez, what game were you watching.

It was only offensive interference becuase the Ref dropped the flag.
The DB initiated contact. It could have been called either way.

But frankly, the flag should have stayed in his pocket.

Reactions: end_23
TD should have been called back (it was offensive interference). Don't know about the FSU player taking his helmet off but I would hope we would win the game on how we played on the field...not some technicality (Pitt game in 2012 should ring a bell). When Golson threw the last interception and it was caught out of bounds by FSU, it was 4th down so it does not matter. Jeez, what game were you watching.

I said two out of the three calls affected the outcome of the game. That must mean the EG pick was the play that did not affect the outcome. I can't believe I had to take the time to explain this to you. I have seen that same exact play work dozens of times in the NFL and college and never has it been called. The guys right on the play did not make the call and questioned Pat Ryan about the flag he threw. Imagine that, an official away from the play doing his best to determine the outcome of a game. The call was so bad that no one on the field or afterward knew exactly who the penalty was called on. You are anti BK and will use this play and any other you can get your hands on to make your talking points stick. I'm not even sure you are an Irish fan anyway. I would love for you to sit directly across BK and give him your explanation why that play was a penalty and then ask the ACC why no flag was called on the player taking his helmet off directly in front of an official. Opps! No one was supposed to notice.

I said two out of the three calls affected the outcome of the game. That must mean the EG pick was the play that did not affect the outcome. I can't believe I had to take the time to explain this to you. I have seen that same exact play work dozens of times in the NFL and college and never has it been called. The guys right on the play did not make the call and questioned Pat Ryan about the flag he threw. Imagine that, an official away from the play doing his best to determine the outcome of a game. The call was so bad that no one on the field or afterward knew exactly who the penalty was called on. You are anti BK and will use this play and any other you can get your hands on to make your talking points stick. I'm not even sure you are an Irish fan anyway. I would love for you to sit directly across BK and give him your explanation why that play was a penalty and then ask the ACC why no flag was called on the player taking his helmet off directly in front of an official. Opps! No one was supposed to notice.
Whatever. Excuses. What happened in the weeks to come. Were the officials to blame as well?

None of those calls affected the outcome of the game because they were the correct calls. Quit bitching like a little girl and accept the loss. This is why everyone hates ND...because of crybabies like you. When we win, you exclaim how great we are, when we lose, it is somebody elses fault. What a wuss.

it is and will remain a "L" but the calls and non calls at the end were result of personal vendetta and absolutely wrong.

Now you have over stayed your welcome. 1993 - explain that?
Did you forget the bowl loss in Orlando when FSU came back to win with five freshmen OL and QB with a broken leg?

1993 is a dead horse that continues to be beaten by some ND folks that refuse to accept ND's responsibility for the season outcome. Don't blame FSU for ND's season ending loss to BC.

I can see you are new here.

It's almost as if some of you that follow ND football don't actually retain anything you read. If anyone thinks Jack is getting rid of Kelly after 1 season of poor results, you haven't been paying attention.

Did you forget the bowl loss in Orlando when FSU came back to win with five freshmen OL and QB with a broken leg?

1993 is a dead horse that continues to be beaten by some ND folks that refuse to accept ND's responsibility for the season outcome. Don't blame FSU for ND's season ending loss to BC.

I can see you are new here.
We mentally suppress memories of all Tommy Rees games in which we lost. Just like FSU fans do with the Chris Rix era. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT