ADVERTISEMENT

What happens to the Fighting Irish if (D1) college football goes to 4 16(+) team conferences &

12375CAT

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Feb 15, 2012
only those conference champions qualify for the pig skin final 4?

ec255579-b732-4d45-9ce6-4dcba5c3de53_zpsceaj8q8r.jpg

That would require those schools breaking away and forming another division so not sure how viable that actually is.

IF, big if, that was to happen we would be in the ACC for football pretty quickly IMHO. Swarbrick has set this up for a quick and easy move without disruption in the rest of the athletic department.

That would require those schools breaking away and forming another division so not sure how viable that actually is.

The only thing stopping that is to get 4 conferences of 16 teams to agree (which would be difficult enough). There is no central authority that would be able to block such a move.

Schadenfruede-

If they were to stay in the same division as all of the other schools you sure that anti-trust issues wouldn't be triggered by the policy that only champions from these 4 conferences can compete for a championship?

Schadenfruede-

If they were to stay in the same division as all of the other schools you sure that anti-trust issues wouldn't be triggered by the policy that only champions from these 4 conferences can compete for a championship?

They wouldn't stay in the same division. They would branch off and call it Playoff Division or something. The NCAA okays what the schools want, not the other way around. And those conferences/schools left in division one could still have their playoff if they wanted. The big difference is I think 3/4s of the TV money would follow the new division.

ND might at that point join a conference, implement another formula if they don't like the landscape at that point, or file a antitrust law suite against the four conferences who have formed a monopoly. They are denying the other FBS schools the right to compete for the national championship in football.

No. There are several divisions of football and several national champions. If the ball gets rolling I am sure ND will have the option to either join a conference that is leaving or stay put. Either way, they will have a shot at a NC. It will just be in a division with USC, Ohio State, & Alabama or a division with UConn, Boise State & Tulsa.

Good article. Most fans tend to overestimate the role tv revenue actually plays in the grand scheme of academic finances.

Hasn't the first step already been taken with the NCAA voting to allow the majors more autonomy? There is already a distinction between the big 65 schools and the rest of FBS.

Hasn't the first step already been taken with the NCAA voting to allow the majors more autonomy? There is already a distinction between the big 65 schools and the rest of FBS.

If the split did happen I think you would still see games played between the new division of 64 and the others. So I don't think the USC-ND series would be in jeopardy.

ADVERTISEMENT