ADVERTISEMENT

What are you guys looking for in spring practice?

Andover1

Go Irish
Feb 23, 2015
Break it down by the 3 major areas (Offense, Defense, Coaching/Schemes)

Last year we learned a lot about the 4-3, Schmidt, McGlinchey, etc. during spring practice.

This year I'm looking for:

Offense:
1.) QB Battle -- Obvious, but a lot to watch here. Mainly, does Golson "Want to Compete?" because if his head is in the right place, I still think he's the best 'every down QB' on roster, and a potential game changer for 2015. I'll also be interested to see what they're asking each QB to do, and how Zaire improves in his "finer passing mechanics".

2.) Consistency/Physicality from the O-Line -- The OL showed out in bursts last year (LSU, FSU, Stanford, etc.) but there were tons of times that we looked flat and weak on the OL. I want to see this group show a lot of cohesiion, phyiscality, and consistency in the spring. We already know about the athleticism, experience, and ceiling they bring to the table.

3.) Catching the ball consisteny at WR -- We have a lot of options at WR, most of them have proven production, and almost all have at least 1 "elite skill" to bring to the table. Variey, talent, and experience are here. The only thing we appear to be missing is consistent hands catching accross the board. Whatever 3 WRs show the most consistent catching ability will be the 3 that rise to the top imo.

4.) TE stepping up -- Smythe was praised heavily by Kelly, but played sparringly. Luatua made onto the field as an H-Back, and looked good at times. Weishar, Heuerman, and Jones have a lot pass catching ability. We need 1-2 of these players to step up, and really show that they belong on the field over another RB or WR. Can Smythe bring consistency and physicality in blocking? Can Luatua improve as a playmaker? Can any of Weishar/Jones/Heuerman show enough to get on the field?

Defense:
1.) Health -- No question this was our biggest problem on defense in 2014. I'll be watching/reading to see the progress of:
J. Jones -- How close is he? Is he able to stay in shape?
Schmidt -- Will he be full go by fall practice?
Grace -- Is he ever going to fully recover? Can he play in spring? Will he be an option by fall camp?
Tranquill -- How is he recovering? What will he be able to give us this fall?
Cage -- How well has he been able to workout, with his injury?

2.) Mental progression at Safety -- They have all the physical talent in the world, and now have experience. We need to see much better organization, communication, and decision making from this unit (both pre and post snap). We need to hear about their intense work in the film room and them "getting it" and playing faster during drills and schrimmages

3.) Individual Edge Rushers -- We have guys that are capable of making plays on the interior (Day/Jones) and are able to generate some pressures with a lot of blitzes...however, we weren't able to have our DE's win on their own and make plays in the backfield. We have more options, maturity, and talent in 2015 (Rochell, Okwara, Trumbetti, Ishaq, etc.) and we're going to need them start winning some battles

4.) Position/Players at LB -- It seems like we might well have more starters/guys than we have positions at LB, so it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. This is especially true with "position flexible" guys like Jaylon, Morgan, Onwaulu, and Tranquill. How do Schmidt/Grace/Morgan shake out at MLB? Does Jaylon play SLB or WLB? Are Onwaulu/Tranquill at SLB or SS?

Coaching/Schemes:
1.) Who recruits Texas/Lousianna/Southwest? -- This has been a major emphasis the last couple years, and I love it. I think it's a KEY area for ND to recruit and recruit well. (Better than the deep south or cali). Cooks was great for us here. Who steps up here?

2.) How much "Option" are we running? -- I'll be interested to see how much we're using option, if we are running it with both Golson and Zaire, if it looks like a package or more of staple of the offense (ala LSU), etc.

3.) How agressive/exotic will the defense be? -- Being agressive was good for us early on (when we looked more organized, with Schmidt on the field), but burned us more and more against spread offenses and later in the season (when we looked desperate). It will be interesting to see how shakes out, especially with the ?'s at the MLB and S positions.

A lot like the combine. I'm just looking to see what kind of athletes the young guys are. Does this guy have the 2nd gear? Can this guy play physical at the WR position and high point the ball? I'm looking at the eye ball test rather than production.

I am not sure how many answers you are going to get to a lot of these questions in spring practice.

I want to see a defensive approach that can hold up over a 12-game season. Because whatever it is we ran last season wasn't the answer. The defense was worn down by October, and gave out in November.

You can blame it on injuries, but the same thing happened to BVG's defense at Auburn in '12. Hopefully the coaching staff makes the adjustment.

Andover, you basically nailed all the areas that warrant improvement/development. I think we win with either Golson or MZ at QB, but prefer MZ because he can run the option, where Golson has shown he cannot. Want the security blanket of having Golson as an option if we need to put points on the board quickly, but hard to see Golson accepting this role.
Really disappointed in the OL play most of the year, both running and pass protection. LSU was encouraging. We have some really talented studs waiting in the wings, and I'm anxious to see these guys play. Will be watching the fifth year OL decisions.
Safety play is a huge question mark. Desperately needs Redfeld and Shumate to show they can master the mental part and make quick correct decisions.
We all pine for a dominate rush DE and so will looking to see how Williams and Hill have developed physically.

Who will win starting job @ QBWho will surface as threat rushing the QB off the edge Development of Greg BryantWho will surface as the second prime time receiver Who surfaces @ TE

Lots of geat responses, thanks!

Some of my thoughts to the above:

1.) I really don't love the idea of "the option" becoming a major staple of the offense. I think it's lethal when a team isn't ready for it, or is completely out matched physically. But when a decent team is well prepared for it, it think it's pretty ineffective (usually). Aubrn and Georgia Tech have found tweaks that make it okay, for a while, but I really think you're limited without a truly quality passer at QB.

2.) I'd love to see Golson improve his consistency, confidence, leadership, and "mental makeup" and really mature into the QB that he can be. If he could make those mental/person strides, and secure the job...I think that's Best-Case-Scenario.
2a.) Combined with this, I do like the option for short yardage, red-zone, and "change of pace" situation. My Even-Better-Best-Case-Scenario is having Zaire play a major role in the offense...focusing on these areas. (Allowing him to keep maturing as a player and a passer)

3.) Completely agree on being disappointed on the OL. The talent was absolutely clear, and showed at times...but the consistency, cohesion, and most importantly physicality just wasn't there. We need that to improve BIG TIME...but I'm very hopeful here

4.) I do completely blame injuries for the difference in the defense from the 7 games to the last 6 games (well 5/6, before LSU).
I think it's clear that our defense was going to be far from perfect, no matter what. The talent and experience in the front 7 just wasn't there (esp. outside of Jaylon/Day/Jones). Spread offenses and mobile QBs were always going to be tough for us.

But the injuries were flat out ridiculous. All of the following were limited/out later in the year, and it completely killed us:
Day, Jones, Ishaq, Springman, Cage, Schmidt, Grace, Hill, Russell, Riggs, Tranquill, Baratti, Hardy (bolded players are likely starters)
6 starters and 12+ impact players, off an already thin and young defense....RIDICULOUS

5.) There are a lot of players I'm excited to see in the spring/summer/fall, both from health/availability standpoint as well as from a development standpoint

I feel the ceiling for this team is VERY HIGH in 2015, but there are lots of questions to answer!!

Golson's mental make-up has a lot to do with Kelly. During the first part of the year his communication with Kelly seemed good. As soon as he started making mistakes it seemed (to me) that Kelly reverted back to the screamer. At that point I saw Golson's demeanor change and his head appeared to drop. He didn't engage Kelly on the sidelines and he never recovered. Kelly has to realize that some individuals have to be corrected differently than others.

Just my opinion.

congratulations on the first post

tumblr_n1nx98yYrQ1ttoxpno1_400.gif

We started a 3 star frosh @ DT and MLB vs USC because of injuries . The collapse of our defense was about injuries - w-o Schmidt Day and Jones we had no shot .

Andover

Nice post I hope you are not in Mass or NJ those would be the Andovers I know of Lots of snow

Golson was my fave player for the longest time and I just do not know what to think of him at this point. I do not know if he lacks downfield vision and the ability to go thru his progressions and find the open guy That is my biggest concern I don't know if he was screwed up by the staff and Lafleur who wanted him to be a pocket guy when he is not and is most comfortable outside the pocket. I don't know if he can fix his head and compete. I think we need a 2 headed beast for awhile to see who wants to rise up and make things happen.

It is a luxury to have 2 guys at QB like we do so no complaints

I want to see the beginning of creativity on offense I want to see schemes that get guys like Bryant open, I want some screens, I want balance, I want the unpredictable

Most of all I want guys - players and coaches - to rise up and take it with authority and make such a difference that they cannot be denied Sanford shows play calling and command that Kelly cannot deny. Playmakers to emerge and not be denied.

The influence of the new OC. What type of offense does it look like. IS the Run attack have more of a emphasis of a power attack.

Originally posted by SALittleGiant513:
I am not sure how many answers you are going to get to a lot of these questions in spring practice.
This is true, many of those won't be answered until Summer and Fall practices, if they are at all

If it's 100% truly limited to just the spring:
1.) QB Battle/Performance
1a.) Health
2.) Physical Development of DLs
3.) Blocking Scheme, Cohesion, and Physicality of the OL
4.) Feedback on the Understanding of the Defense (esp. LB and S)
5.) Emergence of Top Options from the Offensive Skill Positions

Don't think we will see muchbecause we won't see the changes in fill-os-a-pea.

I just look at players to see if they have matured over the winter.

BRYANT is one / is ROBINSON bigger and stronger?--is CARLISLE full of confidence---

are SCHMIDT and GRACE moving well ? ---that kinda stuff---all the rest will be

behind closed doors and off-camera. Don't want to give our secrets away.

ND needs a pass rush. Must have been near the bottom in sacks. New Dline coach will have his hands full.

I'll be looking to see if they are still employing the cover 0 defense where the safeties and corners hang out on the sidelines while the mid to deep middle of the filed is wide open.

Don't expect anything out of the QBs. Glorified scrimmage with a very vanilla game plan. I don't think any position will be won or lost during the Spring game. Last year's game had MZ completing some nice passes AFTER he was touched by a defensive player. All you can hope for is nice weather so the fans can have a great experience attending the game, get a few players to sign your mini helmet, spend a few bucks at the bookstore, come out of Spring practice and the scrimmage with no injuries and hold your breath during the long off season that all the lads do their school work and stay out of trouble. Everything has to be near perfect for the Irish and that double digit win season for 2015.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT