ADVERTISEMENT

This season

Izo

Posts Like A Champion
Nov 1, 2008
Last year we were off to a. 6-0 start before Florida State .There was just something about those early games . The Purdue,Syracuse, North Carolina game scores were not impressive at all .Felt we should have had a much easier time .After FSU ,key injuries to the defense ,especially with Day ,Schimitt ,Riggs ,Jones sidelined , really put ND in a spiral. Except for the Louisville loss 31-28., our opponents averaged over 45 points a game in the second half of the season.

Beating LSU is a great momentum builder going into this season. Our 4-3 defense should be greatly improved after one year under Van Gorder and our offense with a very good offensive line and excellent skill players should put up points.

My concern : we just can't eke out games against mediocre and average teams .we have to score big and our defense has to really improve .

All the sports writers think a team like Ohio State is going to put up huge offensive numbers and is the team to beat .Wonder what Oregon,UCLA,USC,Florida State ,Alabama,,Auburn, are going to bring to the plate.

And then there is TCU and Baylor from the Big 12 .after being snubbed by the selection committee,expect these teams to put up big offensive numbers

Some of the highly ranked teams will falter , where will ND be ?

those other teams that may falter WILL falter because they are SEC teams or PAC teams that play each other!
They will likely eliminate all but possible 2 of their teams from contention by week 10. That is the hope of teams such as ND. The playoff scenario does not necessarily put the best teams in the playoffs. As we saw, such was the case in 2012.

Last edited:
Keep in mind in those early games. ND played 2 teams that had a winning record last season (Stanford, Rice). Out of all of ND's opponents only 8 of the 12 regular season opponents had a record above .500 last season. (Michigan 5-7, Purdue 3-9, Syracuse 3-9, North Carolina 6-7 post bowl). With the bulk of those teams being post FSU. And the only real blow out beginning to end last year was USC. ND just never was in that game from the first play forward. Yes the ASU score blown out. But even with 6:30 left in the in the fourth ND was within 3. Until Golson decided to throw to the the ASU CB on the 1 yard line. Which was just 1 of 5 turn overs that game.

This year I expect 10 wins. I think anything beyond that ND is going to need a little luck, a good fumble to go their way, or a couple of key plays kind of thing. They have the talent. And once they get through the big hard part of their schedule (Games 3 through 7) the rest is very manageable. However they can't more than 1 loss in that stretch and expect to get anything.

There. Is every reason to expect a very solid season. 21 players returning with starting experience and more a team more talented overall than any opponent.

ND has better essentially the same players but a year older , stronger , wiser and more hungry . All these words I mention are a direct reflection of the coaching staff and player development. ND was very unlucky last year . The pass interference, Cam fumbling, everyone knows that. Golson took the heat but it not just him. That team was play here and there from being 9-3 or maybe 10-2. This year the schedule on paper looks a little tricky but winnable. IMO the difference is HOW ND runs the ball . Will it become more diverse with more misdirection ? Will BK unleash Zaire as runner ? or will we see 5 wideouts again ? With Procise in the slot and Folston and Zaire in the ackfield those are 3 great runners asa group and if this OLINE gels quickly ND can have a prolific run game with some great weapons at the WR position to keep defenses honest. A great offense can keep the defense off the field and this is what ND should focus on . Control the game up front on both sides of the ball and with a little Luck ND will be in the top 4 .

Top to bottom Notre Dame is more talented than USC nod although I think USC has very solid coaching, I would not take theirs over Kelly and Company.

On this post, most believe and expect an excellent season 10-2 or better. I think with the great talent ,anything less will be a disappointment .

Could run table 12-0 if stars align and they get very lucky . I hope for 10-2 as best case poss. scenario. More realistically I think it will be 9-3 season . Don't get all the belief in this schedule being favorable. I don't see it that way. GT is a big problem game to say the least. BC and Pitt always give ND problems. And I can see based on history ND losing 1 of those 2 . Just bc that's what ND has a habit of doing. Clemson away and a top flight USC a week after the Navy game with Stanford is tough always and it's in Ca. Many of these teams will have extra time to heal up / rest and game plan for their game with us. ND plays like 1 home game from mid October to end of Nov. That's a long stretch. I don't think this is good scheduling for the program.

ADVERTISEMENT