ADVERTISEMENT

The Best QB in the History of the NFL

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
never told equipment managers to take air out of a football.

Just sayin

There is a difference.

And for those who say we do not know that Joe was a Saint, I say: but we don't know he wasn't.

any debate of greatest QBs must be broken down into divisions of those who called the plays and those whose coaches did it

Brady is the best QB of his time. Joe the best of his. However as good as Brady is, and he is excellent, I would take Joe Montana over him every time. Also, they both are different in many ways. Joe was under center, moving in the pocket throwing from the pocket as well as on the run. He also could run if he needed to. Brady is mainly in the shotgun, rarely runs if ever and throws always from the pocket. He is very accurate and has a very good arm. Both elevate their play in big games. Both have the ability to make the players around them better. Still, if I had one QB to choose it would be Montana. People need to rewatch Montana play and remember just how great he was.

Brady is the best QB of his time. Joe the best of his. However as good as Brady is, and he is excellent, I would take Joe Montana over him every time. Also, they both are different in many ways. Joe was under center, moving in the pocket throwing from the pocket as well as on the run. He also could run if he needed to. Brady is mainly in the shotgun, rarely runs if ever and throws always from the pocket. He is very accurate and has a very good arm. Both elevate their play in big games. Both have the ability to make the players around them better. Still, if I had one QB to choose it would be Montana. People need to rewatch Montana play and remember just how great he was.

good analysis Joe also could play with any type of football

different eras. back then the league provided the game balls. teams didn't have their own on the sidelines like they do now. I think the whole deflategate thing is much ado about nothing. brady actually had better stats in the 2nd half of the colts game after the balls were supposedly at the proper psi.

Because of many rule changes that enhances the offense and handcuffs the defense, I call this the era of puffed quarterback stats. Can you imagine if the quarterbacks of yesterday played in the NFL today? They would have arched numbers too. I would rather watch a good college game than an NFL game today. It's just a better brand of football - I do watch the NFL on Sunday. I love football that much.

Ara, I agree with you. QBs back in the "old" days didn't have the protection from the rules the QBs today have. And DBs can no longer bump and run like the DBs of old could. As a result, you can't really compare statistics from the old days with what we see now.

Tom Brady is the best. He made the ball easier for him to throw to help win the super bowl. They are not taking that away from the Patriots so in fact the NFL says it is allright. You haters are a pathetic lot. Tom Brady has led a exemplary life. Get over it !

Just sayin

There is a difference.

And for those who say we do not know that Joe was a Saint, I say: but we don't know he wasn't.

His hall-of-fame receiver has admitted to using stick 'em on his gloves to gain an advantage. I love Joe as a QB, but it is naïve to think he didn't participate in "gamesmanship".

I don't think they had the option back then. The NFL controlled the footballs, which is the way it should still be today. It's a stupid system.

you look at Joe's SB stats and he blows away Brady. In the biggest games he was superb. The pats won every single SB or lost them by less than 7 points. Joe was 4-0 and only his first was close. and lets be honest= the teams back then were much better overall as regards talent since there was no salary cap or FA for most of his time. You could build great teams. Which you cannot now. So Joe not only had a probably superior team to any today- he also beat superior teams then Brady has beaten as well. Higher quality of competition.

and joe never got the protection that QBs get today- especially Brady.

Brady isn't done winning Super Bowls. He will get at least one more before he is done. Probably next season.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Brady went to a team that was ready for the SB. Joe went to a losing team that was two years away.

Longer run of excellence? What did Brady really do his first couple of years?

with the way the passing game has been helped by rule changes the last 10 years, Brady has had it really easy compared to Joe. He might as well be wearing a skirt (always loved that Lambert quote) and the way the NFL takes special measures to protect him and the other top QBs today, its flag football compared to the early 80's.

Brady went to a team that was ready for the SB. Joe went to a losing team that was two years away.

Based on what you say, "Brady went to a team that was ready for the SB. Joe went to a losing team", Archie Manning was the greatest NFL QB ever. Just sayin.

Also, none of these guys even hold a candle to Jim Thorpe.........played virtually every position on the NFL, NY Giants football team at one time or another including the O-line plus he always played both offense and defense and he played well into his 40's not to mention winning Olympic gold medals, playing major league baseball and winning the U.S. Ballroom Dancing Championship. No one else compares or even comes close.

with the way the passing game has been helped by rule changes the last 10 years, Brady has had it really easy compared to Joe. He might as well be wearing a skirt (always loved that Lambert quote) and the way the NFL takes special measures to protect him and the other top QBs today, its flag football compared to the early 80's.
brady shouldn't be penalized for the era he's played. he's the best of his time as was Montana in his. i'll take otto graham over both of them if eras don't matter.

Como? So a team that would've missed the playoffs if Drew Bledsoe stayed healthy was primed for the SB? Short memories!

And lots of cheating - didn't Mich get hit with 4 violations today in the first 4 Hardballs months

49ers admitted to cheating by using stickum.

And yes, Michigan self reported some violations today. Not as big of a deal as that ND player cheating thing though.

Based on what you say, "Brady went to a team that was ready for the SB. Joe went to a losing team", Archie Manning was the greatest NFL QB ever. Just sayin.

Also, none of these guys even hold a candle to Jim Thorpe.........played virtually every position on the NFL, NY Giants football team at one time or another including the O-line plus he always played both offense and defense and he played well into his 40's not to mention winning Olympic gold medals, playing major league baseball and winning the U.S. Ballroom Dancing Championship. No one else compares or even comes close.

I doubt Thorpe could've beaten Leinart in ball room dancing.... different eras....

Tom Brady is the best. He made the ball easier for him to throw to help win the super bowl. They are not taking that away from the Patriots so in fact the NFL says it is allright. You haters are a pathetic lot. Tom Brady has led a exemplary life. Get over it !
I have nothing against Brady, but exemplary life is a stretch. Child out of wedlock despite Catholic upbringing (and subsequent Catholic wedding to current wife) is not exactly exemplary and certainly a happenstance out of control with pro athletes.

Granite, I think it was great that Tom Brady did not abort the baby he had out of wedlock. That baby is going to have a great life with a father like Tom Brady. Like I said, Tom has led a exemplary life.
He treats woman and children with respect and dominates on the football field.

Granite, I think it was great that Tom Brady did not abort the baby he had out of wedlock. That baby is going to have a great life with a father like Tom Brady. Like I said, Tom has led a exemplary life.
He treats woman and children with respect and dominates on the football field.
Yes, I can agree that some choices were better than others. I do not really care nor object to any of his life choices of which I am aware, but that does not him exemplary. He is just a man, comparable to many other men of all paths, not exemplary.

People always forget about the greatest winning championship QB (5) of all time Bart Starr. He not only led the Green Bay Packers to the first two Super Bowl wins and three other NFL Championships, and he still owns the Career Playoff Passer Rating at 104.8. The man was a big money player when the chips were on the table.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career_playoffs.htm
Excellent comment. Arguably the best QB ever, but without the flash so "fans" overlook him.

Excellent comment. Arguably the best QB ever, but without the flash so "fans" overlook him.

And Starr played for arguably the best coach of all time, Vince Lombardi. The man straight out knew how to put a team together and get them to win.

love how the pats homers claim using some stickum is the same as all their cheating.

What hurts Starr from an individual perspective is that he was surrounded by NFL HOFers on that Packers offense and had maybe the greatest coach ever.

Just sayin

There is a difference.

You don't know what happen any more then any one else on here but I'm betting that he is a Cheater, again.

You don't know what happen any more then any one else on here but I'm betting that he is a Cheater, again.

Well here is an opinion that is tough to refute.

"Jim Kelly says there's 'no doubt' Tom Brady cheated"
"Oh, there’s no doubt,” Kelly told the panel of We Need To Talk. “There’s no way that an equipment manager in the National Football League is going to do something to the football without the greatest quarterback ever to play knowing."

“You do something like that, you’re going to get caught. And Tom didn’t need to do it.”
"He also knows that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was knowingly involved in Deflategate, and cheated."

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/05/jim-kelly-says-theres-no-doubt-tom-brady-cheated?dlvrit=384245

ap-packers-bills-football.jpg

(AP)

Reactions: Irishjohn68
love how the pats homers claim using some stickum is the same as all their cheating.
what's the difference ? both incidents gave players a competitive advantage. nfl guidelines call for a 25k fine for psi tampering. hall of famer gary Zimmerman was fined for greasing up for games. that gave him a competitive advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT