ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks for letting us have Golson.

SchmidtyNole

I've posted how many times?
Feb 19, 2007
I am pumped up that Golson is coming. He is a great player and he has great character too. He is a QB we haven't had since Charlie Ward in terms of a QB that can run like he can. And he has a cannon of an arm. I can't wait to see what he can do with the skill players we have on our team.

I don't know what happened with Golson at Notre Dame. Did he and Kelly just not get along? Was Zaire just better? Anyone have the real scoop on why Golson wanted to leave? Not that I am complaining.

We don't know yet why he left. But I agree, he is a talent that will help your team. He is the greatest gift we have given you since Randy Moss.

I am pumped up that Golson is coming. He is a great player and he has great character too. He is a QB we haven't had since Charlie Ward in terms of a QB that can run like he can. And he has a cannon of an arm. I can't wait to see what he can do with the skill players we have on our team.

I don't know what happened with Golson at Notre Dame. Did he and Kelly just not get along? Was Zaire just better? Anyone have the real scoop on why Golson wanted to leave? Not that I am complaining.

Mum's the word right now. I am hoping to get some scuttlebutt from existing players. That may take time though. It has to be real sensitive/raw seeing your team leader upperclassmen/graduate leave. Unless Golson opens up I think it's a pretty straight forward final conclusion. He obviously felt he had a better chance of achieving his pro goal elsewhere.

What went into that decision is anyone's guess? I am betting it wasn't easy for him....

Reactions: echowaker
I'm with IB. He'll be benched at some point next season too. It takes more than a strong arm to be a good quarterback. To hell with him.

Go Irish!

I like EG, but he has a turnover problem, he's very inconsistent, he can look really good and really bad. Not just from game to game, but his play would wildly fluctuate within a game. If he's your starter all season, I'd be very surprised to see FSU in contention.

I was an EG fan all along, but not any more. He plays for the enemy now. I am very excited for MZ this season, and what the revamped (hopefully) offense looks like.

Reactions: TurnoverMachine
Golson never quit on anyone. In fact, when he easily could have quit while being suspended for a minor academic infraction no school but ND would have enforced, he paid his dues and came back to fulfill his #1 goal, getting his degree from Americas top ranked School of Business.

Unfortunately, that degree was not good enough to get him into ND grad school and is the reason he is not fighting for the starting job. At FSU you can be sure he knows, barring injury, he will start.

I am a fan of the way Golson can throw the ball. He reminds me of many a CFL QB. Some of those turnovers last year were not his fault but many others especially the fumbles are just carelessness. I have not seen enough of Zaire (I assume Kelly has) to be 100% confident he will do the job this year and I wish Golson was here but in the limited amount of time I have watched Zaire he looks like a leader. There is just something about the head down, confused look you get from Golson in comparison to the head held high more stoic look of Zaire. With Golson I always believed every play it was possible for the big play...I was at the North Carolina game last year and was never really worried...hopefully Zaire and the offence can still put up the points but also slow things down when they need to and grind it out. Time will tell.

Reactions: TurnoverMachine
Golson never quit on anyone. In fact, when he easily could have quit while being suspended for a minor academic infraction no school but ND would have enforced, he paid his dues and came back to fulfill his #1 goal, getting his degree from Americas top ranked School of Business.

Unfortunately, that degree was not good enough to get him into ND grad school and is the reason he is not fighting for the starting job. At FSU you can be sure he knows, barring injury, he will start.

Has any fifth yr. candidate that the staff wanted back not been accepted by ND grad school? I don't know, but doubt it.

ND Austin..........

Re: "Has any fifth yr. candidate that the staff wanted back not been accepted by ND grad school? I don't know, but doubt it."

All that clap trap about "not getting into ND grad school" is conjecture..........in other words, pure BS. Nobody knows that to be the case and why would anybody make that stuff up anyway? ................Just to show off on a message board in hopes to prop up a deflated ego(s).

I keep wondering how Urban has kept all three of his QB's there and not one of them has transferred yet. Obviously a little different situation as EG was able to play right away vs. one of them having to sit for a year, but nonetheless Urban Liar has been able to keep all three working hard and competing for the starting job. Was it BK not being willing to commit the starting job to EG, was it EG reading the tea leaves and simply sensing he wasn't winning the starting job...who knows. My gut tells me that BK told them they'd be platooning and that simply didn't sit well with EG.

Zaire was better. Golson wanted to start. He and Jimbo were able to negotiate a deal.
You crazy as hell to think Zaire is better.

I can't believe the disrespect Golson was shown. I guess you'll have to learn the hard way. Go Irish!

Has any fifth yr. candidate that the staff wanted back not been accepted by ND grad school? I don't know, but doubt it.

Let me clear the air. Golson was going to have zero issues getting accepted into ND grad school.

The whole notion that he would is stone cold preposterous. Consider the source....

It is virtually impossible for many here to stay classy. Look at No1e, cgvr, Turnover and more. They are products of poor upbringing and that is being nice......and classy about it!

Quote from Argus/Holy Smoke, Epictitus, Dubs Dreader, big fella,etc., etc..:

"-My knowledge of Notre Dame is minimal? I and my family have been hopnored at half time, has yours?"

It is virtually impossible for many here to stay classy. Look at No1e, cgvr, Turnover and more. They are products of poor upbringing and that is being nice......and classy about it!
Just more hypocrisy. You wouldn't know class if it kissed you on the lips. I know ... that sounds gross.

Now you know how I was brought up? Well, let me set the record straight. With class, integrity, and a foundation of honesty. And that's why I loath your very existence. You lack all those.

Charlie Ward? If FSU fans think they are getting another Charlie Ward, then FSU fans are going to be very disappointed...

Outside of Golson's arm and broken play improvisational skills, he offers little to nothing else. He has zero pocket awareness, inaccurate and inconsistent passer, reluctant and unsure runner, doesn't understand protections or blitz pick ups and he's a ball security nightmare.

Since I do not care for FSU or the extra curricular "activities" that have surrounded their program for 30 years, I'm glad Golson chose the Seminoles, I truly hope both parties get exactly what they deserve.

We can't all look like JFK Jr with more white hair by the time we're 28 years old.

We can't all look like JFK Jr with more white hair by the time we're 28 years old.

Interestingly, genius again crossed up because JFK had reddish brown hair and junior had dark brown hair...

The hilarity never ends....

"Many people have said JFK Jr., but I am much taller and now my thick hair is more white than reddish-brown."

I actually think (I sure as hell hope) this will work out best for both. Tough for us to lose one of the top five Qbs in the nation (and those of you who dispute that just look at the quality of suitors who lined up for Ev!) I like Golson, I will miss him, but I read a great article in the SB Trib today (about Malik and his high school coach) that talked about how Golson is the better passer but that Malik is more suited for Kelly's offense. An unnamed source talked about when Pike went down at Cincy and how Collaros had a 195 Qb rating (30 points higher than Pike.) Hated to lose Ev, he is a good one, but it is time for us to look forward. Malik is a class kid, a competitor and a leader who can run like the devil and has an underrated arm. Hey, if FSU's new QB left ND because he wasn't assured he was ND's starter this year, that says lot about the kid who is going to be under center for the Irish vs. Texas.

From the Trib:

A coach familiar with both quarterbacks, but who asked to remain anonymous, said Golson was the more advanced, more skilled passer, but that what Zaire is able to do with his legs “will open up things in the passing game Golson was unable to in Brian Kelly’s offense.”

That script played out in 2009, when Zach Collaros was pressed into action for Kelly at Cincinnati after starter Tony Pike suffered an injury to his non-throwing arm during the Bearcats’ unbeaten regular season.

Collaros made four starts, then tag-teamed with Pike when he returned from the injury. Pike, the superior passer, finished 12th nationally in pass efficiency that season (149.8). Collaros, who didn’t have enough pass attempts to qualify for the national rankings, ended up with a 195.5 rating.

I actually think (I sure as hell hope) this will work out best for both. Tough for us to lose one of the top five Qbs in the nation (and those of you who dispute that just look at the quality of suitors who lined up for Ev!) I like Golson, I will miss him, but I read a great article in the SB Trib today (about Malik and his high school coach) that talked about how Golson is the better passer but that Malik is more suited for Kelly's offense. An unnamed source talked about when Pike went down at Cincy and how Collaros had a 195 Qb rating (30 points higher than Pike.) Hated to lose Ev, he is a good one, but it is time for us to look forward. Malik is a class kid, a competitor and a leader who can run like the devil and has an underrated arm. Hey, if FSU's new QB left ND because he wasn't assured he was ND's starter this year, that says lot about the kid who is going to be under center for the Irish vs. Texas.

From the Trib:

A coach familiar with both quarterbacks, but who asked to remain anonymous, said Golson was the more advanced, more skilled passer, but that what Zaire is able to do with his legs “will open up things in the passing game Golson was unable to in Brian Kelly’s offense.”

That script played out in 2009, when Zach Collaros was pressed into action for Kelly at Cincinnati after starter Tony Pike suffered an injury to his non-throwing arm during the Bearcats’ unbeaten regular season.

Collaros made four starts, then tag-teamed with Pike when he returned from the injury. Pike, the superior passer, finished 12th nationally in pass efficiency that season (149.8). Collaros, who didn’t have enough pass attempts to qualify for the national rankings, ended up with a 195.5 rating.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the Chicago Sun-Times:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/college...-notre-dames-qb-roller-coaster-ride-continues

Charlie Ward? If FSU fans think they are getting another Charlie Ward, then FSU fans are going to be very disappointed...

Outside of Golson's arm and broken play improvisational skills, he offers little to nothing else. He has zero pocket awareness, inaccurate and inconsistent passer, reluctant and unsure runner, doesn't understand protections or blitz pick ups and he's a ball security nightmare.

Since I do not care for FSU or the extra curricular "activities" that have surrounded their program for 30 years, I'm glad Golson chose the Seminoles, I truly hope both parties get exactly what they deserve.

extra curricular "activities"? You mean like the ones ignored by Florida when Hernandez attended?

As to your assertion check out the video below to see the accuracy in it.

Golson made a great business decision having been coached by Kelly and now going under the tutelage of Jimbo Fisher who has had an outstanding record of turning QB's into first round draft picks.

Best case scenario? Golson becomes a Russell Wilson clone.

Golson leaving is a massive loss for us. He is tremendously gifted.
fsu got the cfb graduate steal of the century.... I wish we still had him.

Chinese proverb. Be careful what you wish for. You may not like what you get.

Some really nice throws in that video above. Nice quick release. I think his mobility and elusiveness will be his biggest asset with our new OL this season.

New Quote from Argus/Holy Smoke, DubsDreader, Big Fella Fan, Irish Fan26, Epiciticus, etc., etc..:

"-My knowledge of Notre Dame is minimal? I and my family have been hopnored at half time, has yours?"

What year? What game? There is no answer to his crock of BS! He really is a John Hinckley, Jr.

468 × 286 - dailymail.co.uk

24 turnovers ... several of them game killers ... Winston turned the ball over a lot but they were never game killers ... if FSU's defense is great and Golson only has to hand the ball off and not f*** up like he did for us in 2012 you will love him ... don't count on him to carry the team though if the defense is having a bad game ...

FSU is not on the ND schedule but ND may have inflicted a loss or two on the Noles.

Reactions: mh2365
You can have him. No disrespect to him but Malik is a much better player. EG might be a tad more accurate but that is the only thing. He is small. Turnovers galore. I don't care what the program says he is no taller than 5'10. The problem with that is he is not super fast or some other spectacular thing to counter being short. He is not a strong runner.
There are far worse QB's out there for sure but Malik gives us the best chance to succeed and EG knows that.

I keep wondering how Urban has kept all three of his QB's there and not one of them has transferred yet. Obviously a little different situation as EG was able to play right away vs. one of them having to sit for a year, but nonetheless Urban Liar has been able to keep all three working hard and competing for the starting job. Was it BK not being willing to commit the starting job to EG, was it EG reading the tea leaves and simply sensing he wasn't winning the starting job...who knows. My gut tells me that BK told them they'd be platooning and that simply didn't sit well with EG.

Urban paid them

ADVERTISEMENT