ADVERTISEMENT

Strong words from Everett Golson on bolting ND for FSU

"It was me just not taking care of the ball," Golson said of a season where he accounted for 22 turnovers, including eight lost fumbles. "It was me trying to do too much at times. Not giving up on plays. Me trying to escape the pocket and not keeping two hands on the ball. Just being real careless. Lots of little detail stuff. And that costs us a little bit. At the end of the day what didn't happen was me getting back to the fundamentals

Godson is a baby. Good riddance.Kelly stuck with him 6 games too many. Most coaches would have sat him way earlier than the last half of the last game. I hope he starts for FSU. Then I will just wait and see how Jimbo handles him after he turns the ball over again and again.

EG my man. If you knew what the problem was then why didn't you fix it? Why did you continue to make the same dumb mistakes over and over? There were other critical, gut wrenching, inexcusable turnovers that cost the Irish games and you had nothing to do with it. It wasn't all your fault. You left us with some positive memories for sure. Now that you are at FSU, I personally don't want to hear your take on what went wrong. What is done is done. Move on. I hope Irish fans will too.

Godson is a baby. Good riddance.Kelly stuck with him 6 games too many. Most coaches would have sat him way earlier than the last half of the last game. I hope he starts for FSU. Then I will just wait and see how Jimbo handles him after he turns the ball over again and again.
In Golson defense, every QB under Kelly at ND has been a turnover machine. At some point you have to stop blaming the QB's and look at the coach.

EG is a great kid and did his best at Notre Dame and helped win a whole lot of games for the Irish. He will likely start at FSU where he will be good for two more wins than they would have had with a finish at about 10-2, thanks to EG. He just needs to stay away from all the bad elements that are a big part of FSU and he'll have a fair shot at an NFL career. I sure will bet he has fewer turnovers than Winston did last year and the coeds will be far safer.

Most young men would have opted out of Notre Dame when faced with expulsion from the school. He showed a great amount of class by persevering through difficulties and reaching his goal of a degree from Notre Dame. The fact that he saw a severe reduction in playing time which would diminish his opportunity for a chance at the NFL forced him to look elswhere. He will be a star at FSU while he would have been a spot player at ND.

most young men ...do not find themselves rehabilitating from chesting to begin with! and he certainly seems to have little appreciation for the second chance - and his attitude towards his coaching staff during games was arrogant at a minimum

Most young men would have opted out of Notre Dame when faced with expulsion from the school. He showed a great amount of class by persevering through difficulties and reaching his goal of a degree from Notre Dame. The fact that he saw a severe reduction in playing time which would diminish his opportunity for a chance at the NFL forced him to look elswhere. He will be a star at FSU while he would have been a spot player at ND.

I give him a ton of credit for sticking it out and returning back to ND. With that said, Kelly stuck with him throughout the entire season last year. He was entrenched as the starter. Zaire steps in and all of a sudden he isn't happy about losing his job. It's called competition. Golson's expierence and ability should have enable him to win the job back or at least keep the job. This team has 20 returning starters if you count Russel. Then he decides to leave. He quit on his team in my opinion. He didn't like the fact that he might share playing time. That says more about him than the coach. As far as the NFL. He will never make it. Never. He is a good to at times very good college QB. I can just see it now, he throws two picks in a game, the coach, god forbid, starts to get on him. Let the pouting begin. NFL coaches don't give a dam if his feelings are hurt. They want results or adios. If he was so good, Zaire wouldn't be in the mix. It's really that simple. I am glad he left when he did. It's better than waiting then deciding. Now at least we know Zaire is the lone starter. Godson could have worked hard and won the job but his attitude is what did him in.

ANN ARBOR -- Michigan senior defensive end Frank Clark was arrested Saturday by the Perkins Township police department in Ohio, per online records, on suspicion of domestic violence.

Clark, a senior starter from Cleveland, was listed as an inmate on the Erie County Jail website early Sunday morning.

Per an officer at the prison, Clark is being held without bond until his 9 a.m. court appearance at 9 a.m. Monday at the Sandusky Municipal Court. Bond will be set at that time.

Michigan was off Saturday, and will host Maryland on Saturday for senior day.

A Michigan spokesman says the program is aware of the report and in the process of gathering more information. Coach Brady Hoke did not have a formal comment early Sunday morning.

The Michigan senior was also arrested on felony theft charges prior to his sophomore season in 2012. After admitting he stole an $1,800 MacBook Air laptop from a Michigan dorm room, Clark was ordered to pay $1,741 in fines and costs and was also given one year's probation.

Clark -- who has 42 tackles (13 1/2 for loss) and 4 1/2 sacks this season -- was sentenced, at the time, under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act and the felony was wiped from his record after he completed his probation. Michigan suspended Clark one game for that arrest, the season-opener against Alabama.

Clark's arrest is the latest in a string of off-field issues for Michigan.

Starting offensive lineman Graham Glasgow was arrested for drunken driving in the spring. Glasgow, who was driving with a passenger hanging out of his car in downtown Ann Arbor, ultimately pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of operating a vehicle while visibly impaired.

He received 12 months probation and was suspended one game by Hoke.

Former Michigan football player Taylor Lewan was sentenced to 12 months probation on Monday for a 2013 incident in which he was accused of assaulting a man.

The Tennessee Titans offensive lineman appeared before a 15th District Court Judge Elizabeth Pollard Hines on Dec. 15 for sentencing on the misdemeanor charges of drunk and disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace

Lewan pleaded guilty to the charges in October. One count of aggravated assault and two counts of assault and battery were dismissed per a plea deal.

The charges stem from an alleged assault on Ohio State fans Ryan Munsch of Columbus, Ohio, and James Hughes of Denver outside of the Brown Jug restaurant on Dec. 1, 2013. U-M had lost to OSU on Nov. 30.

Ryan Munsch, who accused Taylor Lewan of assault, reads a statement to the court along with statements from Taylor Lewan.
Lewan was ordered to pay about $1,714 in restitution and $950 in fines. He was also ordered to complete 96 hours of community service, take an anger management class and take a substance abuse assessment, for which any subsequent recommendations would have to be followed.

Munsch said justice, to some extent, had been served.

Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson was in a Clinton County courtroom Monday where he pleaded guilty to driving with a suspended or revoked license.Robinson was pulled over in Bath Twp., driving a 2001 Pontiac, outside Lansing on Nov. 4 at 1:33 a.m., hours after the Wolverines returned from a game at Minnesota, where he did not play due to an elbow injury.After being arraigned Nov. 21, Robinson had a jury trial scheduled for January but did not show for his Dec. 14 pretrial hearing, so a bench warrant was issued and his bond was set at $1,000.

Michigan fifth-year senior offensive lineman Graham Glasgow was suspended by the U-M football program after violating his probation and will have additional legal consequences.

According to online records for 15th District Court in Ann Arbor, Glasgow blew a 0.086 on a Breathalyzer test at 9:59 a.m. Sunday. He "admitted he consumed alcohol," which is a probation violation stemming from his July sentencing for operating a vehicle while visibly impaired.

The impairment came during a random test, the type that he has submitted to weekly since July. He had not failed one to this point, said his attorney, John Shea.

"We have been made aware of Graham's probation violation and he has been suspended," U-M coach Jim Harbaugh said in a released statement. "Graham will be subject to punishment through the judicial system, the student-athlete alcohol policy and the Michigan football program."

According to Shea, Glasgow will have his probation extended six months, he will be monitored more closely and frequently and will have to perform additional tasks assigned by the court as a consequence.

Among the requirements announced in court at his sentencing: alcohol counseling, attend a MADD impact victim panel and submit to regular alcohol testing as he is barred from drinking alcohol or using illicit drugs.

This offense comes exactly a year to the day after Glasgow was pulled over for driving erratically with volleyball player Lexi Dannemiller leaning out the car window, a number of people piled into the car and items falling out the back of an open gate. After being pulled over, he blew a 0.11 blood-alcohol level at the scene and a 0.13 after being arrested and taken to the police station. Those are above the legal blood-alcohol level in Michigan to drive (0.08).

After a June guilty plea, he was sentenced on July 15 and the probation was to extend until his review on July 6, 2015. That period is now extended. He missed parts of spring practice and the opening game of last season under discipline by then-coach Brady Hoke.

Glasgow, who has started 24 games at U-M including the final 1

Michigan cornerback J.T. Floyd, punter Will Hagerup and linebacker Brandin Hawthorne were suspended for the Outback Bowl on Sunday due to an undisclosed violation of team rules.

Two of them have now offered public apologies.

Floyd, whose five-year career ends with the suspension, offered these thoughts (originally published by WolverineNation):

"I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to the University of Michigan, my fans, my friends, my coaches, my teammates, but most importantly, my parents, my daughter, and my family for a poor decision I made this past weekend in celebration of successfully completing my undergraduate degree.

"I have given my heart and soul to this program, and it truly disappointments me that I will not be with my teammates in Florida. This is a deep pain that I am dealing with to the best of my ability. I am 23 years old and despite the successes I've had on and off the field, I made a very uncharacteristic and immature decision. This decision contradicts the expectations that I have set for myself, and the expectations that others have set for me as well. I do sincerely apologize, and I have already started to learn from this experience. I will continue to use this experience as a driving force to become a better man.

"Although, I looked forward to finishing my college football career playing against South Carolina in the Outback Bowl, I fully understand the decision Coach Hoke had to make by suspending me from the Bowl Game. I have called Ann Arbor my home for the last five years, and I can honestly say that everyone here will remain an integral part of my family. I am extremely humbled to be in the position that I am today, and furthermore I know none of this would even be possible without all of your help and support over the years. I am very grateful to have been given the opportunity to successfully complete my degree at the University of Michigan. My family and I are also very appreciative for the support we have received from the staff of the university. I especially want to thank Coach Hoke, our entire football staff, my incredible teammates, and the unbelievable fans that support us each and every day.

"Again, I sincerely apologize for my most recent actions. My last name and reputation mean more to me than words will ever be able to express. I promise to always represent our university with pride, class, dignity, respect, and professionalism. It is through my experiences here at the University of Michigan that I am a better person, and more equipped to prepare myself for the obstacles and challenges that lie ahead.

"I wish the best of luck to Coach Hoke and my teammates in the Outback Bowl, and again, I am sincerely sorry."

Hagerup told the Detroit News he fell into "old habits" and that he's sorry. He has written a letter to his teammates expressing his remorse.

Hagerup, who was named the Big Ten's Punter of the Year, said he doesn't know yet about his status for next season. This is his third suspension in three years, after missing the Ohio State game in 2010 and the first four games of last season.

"It's probably the greatest disappointment of my life," Hagerup told the News. "I had made some pretty amazing progress with personal decisions this year, but nobody's perfect. My progress wasn't complete. I let my team down, I let my coaches down, I let my family down.

"I should have stayed clear of anything harmful to me and my teammates. … But I know I'm a good person. I know I'm capable of doing more good than bad.

"There's no bad blood. (Brady Hoke) takes his football hat off, and he cares about the well-being of his players. ... It's important for me to get with my family and friends to figure out what's important and get my life figured out.

"It's heartbreaking for me when your personal issues can be exposed, but we have great expectations at Michigan, and it's great that we have those high expectations. I think I have the talent to be here. I don't think I'm a (jerk). I think I have some old issues. I know I can figure out my life. I don't want to let people down in my life."

"One of the things I was looking for in a coach was him to be genuine."

Golson is probably lucky Kelly wasn't "genuine" with him. I would imagine a "genuine" Kelly response to Golson's academic suspension would not be fit for print. A "genuine" reaction to fumble after fumble after pick after pick in his return season would be to rip him a new one and let him figure it out on the bench.

Kelly instead welcomed Golson back with open arms, and stuck by him when it was clear to everyone else that he was a liability in 2014.

So much for gratitude.

I do not see the dis-loyalty some see in EG here. I do see a young man who was very certain in his desire to prove critics wrong when he returned to ND and did all he could be successful and accomplished his major goal of an ND degree. Now he finds himself relegated to being a part time player so why not look elsewhere? Especially to a place like FSU where his only concern will be playing football against lesser competition where he may well pad his stats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT