ADVERTISEMENT

Soso Jamobo. Wow. UCLA is Dirty

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
So, Soso and friends get pulled over on Prom night because they have a car full of drugs and booze and are throwing stuff out the window and speeding. He then runs away from cops and then fights with them as they try to restrain him

Guess what? UCLA brought in a high powered lawyer and all charges were dropped

Even his schoolmates are incredulous and are saying that is just wrong. He should have been screwed

This is why athletics suck. As the saying goes......Life is not fair

So, Soso and friends get pulled over on Prom night because they have a car full of drugs and booze and are throwing stuff out the window and speeding. He then runs away from cops and then fights with them as they try to restrain him

Even his schoolmates are incredulous and are saying that is just wrong. He should have been screwed

And to think that many of us were hoping that this kid would be Irish ?
We dodged a bullet on this one.

Every kid accused at another school is the devil, and it's the schools fault because they are categorically corrupt. Every kid at ND was just in the wrong place at the wrong time......

I think that the point of this post is not that Soso is a bad kid or that all ND student-athletes are angels. The point is that a student-athlete got away with this behavior because he is an athlete. The inference is thatUCLA would not have done this for one of their non-athletes.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Boys will be boys. Tommy and Carlo. Not saying what they did was not a bad thing but lets be honest.
Wasn't the UCLA kid facing a DUI? A little more than boys being boys plus I thought the ND players did receive institutional punishment if not severe relative to football.

Reactions: patryk
Sounds like a bunch of speculation and innuendo.

If some attorney was able to just walk in and get the case dismissed, there was something fundamentally wrong with the allegations in the first place. The American legal system is glacial at best.

Now, show me some scintilla of evidence (that's right 98, let's drive the Maserati!) that UCLA sent a briefcase full of cash somewhere and I may be more inclined to agree with you. In the meantime, this is more of the typical speculation we love t do about our opponents and competitors.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Sounds like a bunch of speculation and innuendo.

If some attorney was able to just walk in and get the case dismissed, there was something fundamentally wrong with the allegations in the first place. The American legal system is glacial at best.

Now, show me some scintilla of evidence (that's right 98, let's drive the Maserati!) that UCLA sent a briefcase full of cash somewhere and I may be more inclined to agree with you. In the meantime, this is more of the typical speculation we love t do about our opponents and competitors.

No you are dead wrong. This is fact. No speculation. And this post for those of you too dense to recognize it-- is not about a bad kid or a competitor team screwing up-- it is about a school getting this kid off with no charges. Why does this kid rate? He is their star recruit. And it does not matter if the police did their homework or screwd up and had loopholes. What matters is UCLA stepped in and justice was not served and other kids in a similar situation get no help from UCLA or anyone else unless they score TDs.

You got the link to the article? I was looking this up on Google and only saw articles linking to the arrest.

Where did you get this story? Who is the UCLA attorney? Who said he fought with cops? Who said drugs were involved? I haven't seen anything like this written anywhere....

"During the chase, police said someone inside the car threw out of the windows objects that looked like brown paper bags with aluminum cans inside."

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015/04/video-of-soso-jamabos-arrest-wont-be-released-yet.html/

"UCLA Associate Athletic Director Josh Rupprecht said in an email that the team is “aware” of Jamabo’s reported arrest."

“We are obviously concerned about these reports and are currently gathering more information,” Rupprecht said. “As this is a continuing process, we will withhold further comment until the appropriate time.”

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/201...arrested-on-charges-he-fled-from-police.html/

No you are dead wrong. This is fact. No speculation. And this post for those of you too dense to recognize it-- is not about a bad kid or a competitor team screwing up-- it is about a school getting this kid off with no charges. Why does this kid rate? He is their star recruit. And it does not matter if the police did their homework or screwd up and had loopholes. What matters is UCLA stepped in and justice was not served and other kids in a similar situation get no help from UCLA or anyone else unless they score TDs.

Ski - A few questions to enlighten the dense:

1. Prosecutors don't file charges based on inadmissible evidence. Why does it not matter if the Police screwed up? (I won't ask for caselaw or anything, just your thoughts on why a prosecutor should have filed charges anyway, even without police collecting [proper or necessary evidence. Loophole, right?)

2. No breathalyzer. No sobriety tests. Police state it was at their own discretion - was UCLA's attorney the unnamed passenger?

3. You stated charges were dropped - show me..

4. You stated UCLA was involved - show me. Again, anything other than the speculation that "Why does this kid rate? He is their star recruit." (A judge would characterize that as 'circumstantial' evidence.)

5. "[this] is not about .. a competitor team screwing up - it is about a school getting this kid off with no charges" - can you explain how these two are different?

A teenager, a bottle on the front seat, and a small town police department excited about a "big catch." ( http://www.dallasnews.com/news/colu...spotlight-on-small-kemp-police-department.ece)

If you want to check out the Kaufman court docket, it is here: http://12.14.175.53/

Soso paid bail, so most jurisditions create a docket entry at some point after the DA makes a decision - I have zero insight as to why there is no docket yet.

You got the link to the article? I was looking this up on Google and only saw articles linking to the arrest.

the reason you will not see anything -- quite yet -- is because it is inside info. What will happen is there will be nothing about this and Soso will show up at UCLA on time and then some questions will be raised and we shall see how much is disclosed. If you do not like my information or believe it not true, that is your choice. I am simply sharing some info that I thought would be appreciated since it is not public info yet. I do not charge for this outstanding reporting, just one of the many benefits of the new BNG Board such as the stunning graphics,

the reason you
the reason you will not see anything -- quite yet -- is because it is inside info. What will happen is there will be nothing about this and Soso will show up at UCLA on time and then some questions will be raised and we shall see how much is disclosed. If you do not like my information or believe it not true, that is your choice. I am simply sharing some info that I thought would be appreciated since it is not public info yet. I do not charge for this outstanding reporting, just one of the many benefits of the new BNG Board such as the stunning graphics,

Stand up philosopher.....

I coalesce the vapors of human existence, into a viable and logical comprehension.

He certainly piles the philosophy deep.

I coalesce the vapors of human existence, into a viable and logical comprehension.

I believe some Roman Red contributed to the OP. .

Sal

no worries as some of us our implying, I am sniffing vapors hence all is good

So you are going to condemn all athletes because a few screw up? Why do you even bother?

So you are going to condemn all athletes because a few screw up? Why do you even bother?

What in the world are you talking about? Do you even have reading comprehension? Where do I condemn all athlete cause a few screw up?

This post is about something that you seem to not understand: try big time sports or athletes getting preferential treatment, or maybe sloppy police work or maybe not getting the punishment one deserves. Pick any of the above and you might be on the road to drug rehab.

What in the world are you talking about? Do you even have reading comprehension? Where do I condemn all athlete cause a few screw up?

This post is about something that you seem to not understand: try big time sports or athletes getting preferential treatment, or maybe sloppy police work or maybe not getting the punishment one deserves. Pick any of the above and you might be on the road to drug rehab.

What football team has had more problems with the police than ND under Kelly?
I am guessing there should be some, but under his watch we are setting a solid pace.
Then there is the ongoing academic issues...
PS As for comprehension... you may want to review your mindnumbing response to this...
"I coalesce the vapors of human existence, into a viable and logical
comprehensionn"
"No worries as some of us our implying, I am sniffing vapors hence all is good"

Huh???

Do you read what you write?

Sal

no worries as some of us our implying, I am sniffing vapors hence all is good

Actually, we aren't implying you are sniffing anything.

We are quoting a Mel Brooks movie.

(History of the World Part 1, it's a great movie. Go watch it. Now. Stop posting and reading posts. Go.)

Last edited:
Reactions: cgvr
What football team has had more problems with the police than ND under Kelly?
At least half of them. Unless it's something really serious, those stories do not make the national news.

How is this substantially different from the Tommy Rees incident? Were there drugs found on Soso? If not, it seems the charge is mainly resisting arrest and unintentionally striking an officer; same as Rees.

How is this substantially different from the Tommy Rees incident? Were there drugs found on Soso? If not, it seems the charge is mainly resisting arrest and unintentionally striking an officer; same as Rees.

There's been no report of drugs being involved. Where did you come up with "unintentionally striking an officer"?

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/comm...football-star-charged-with-evading-arrest.ece

“He got out screaming and hollering that his life was over,” Boyle said.

"Jamabo was booked into the Kaufman County jail about 1:30 a.m. Sunday on the charge of evading arrest with a vehicle. If convicted, he could face six months to two years in prison.
He was also given written warnings for minor consumption and possession of alcohol, speeding, disregarding a stop sign and not having his license with him."

At least half of them. Unless it's something really serious, those stories do not make the national news.

Here's an interesting site for coverage in all sports.
Holy crap! It's the wild west out there....
http://arrestnation.com/teamsschools/

We dodged an early bullet in their coverage because they didn't start compiling until August 2010.
Article from June 2014:

http://www.elkharttruth.com/sports/...rly-clean-among-college-football-arrests.html

Adding our 8 arrests in June changes the picture for that snapshot...

PS south bend's finest got me for underage drinking at Goose's... $25 fine... such bs that they are still at....
ND students = SB cash cow.....

CGVR -

What really drives (no pun intended) me crazy here is that if you read the articles, the press does not distinguish between "detained" and "charged".

If you're detained and in custody, there is a 72 hour window to file charges. To detain you, the judge needs to find probable cause. (I do wonder why there is no public probable cause affidavit, but I think these things can be done by testimony in some jurisdictions.)

Once your out, the State may have more time.

So, look at the headline of your article. It states he was "charged", but in reading the article, Soso was detained, and paid a bond. That is not the same thing.

Now read this article, published AFTER the one you posted: http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015/04/video-of-soso-jamabos-arrest-wont-be-released-yet.html/ .

See what they did there?

Updated April 23, by Tristan Hallman: Kemp police will file their case Thursday on Jamabo with the Kaufman County District Attorney’s office, Chief Robert Walker said.

There were no charges in the online court docket as of Monday of this week. So, an article on 4/19 says he was "charged" with evading, an article on 4/23 states the Police "will file" will the County District Attorney's Office on Thursday April 23rd. How was he "charged" if the D.A. didn't even have the information? How can charges be dismissed before they are filed?

There are a ton of other factors at play here, and unless the OP has personal knowledge of what happened in a back room in Plano between a D.A. and an attorney (which would be privileged information subject to numerous financial and legal protections), the OP is just speculation, and guessing.

So if the point of this thread is that "football players get lucky breaks", I cant argue with that. But, I think most of us learned that in High School...

CGVR -

What really drives (no pun intended) me crazy here is that if you read the articles, the press does not distinguish between "detained" and "charged".

If you're detained and in custody, there is a 72 hour window to file charges. To detain you, the judge needs to find probable cause. (I do wonder why there is no public probable cause affidavit, but I think these things can be done by testimony in some jurisdictions.)

Once your out, the State may have more time.

So, look at the headline of your article. It states he was "charged", but in reading the article, Soso was detained, and paid a bond. That is not the same thing.

Now read this article, published AFTER the one you posted: http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015/04/video-of-soso-jamabos-arrest-wont-be-released-yet.html/ .

See what they did there?

Updated April 23, by Tristan Hallman: Kemp police will file their case Thursday on Jamabo with the Kaufman County District Attorney’s office, Chief Robert Walker said.

There were no charges in the online court docket as of Monday of this week. So, an article on 4/19 says he was "charged" with evading, an article on 4/23 states the Police "will file" will the County District Attorney's Office on Thursday April 23rd. How was he "charged" if the D.A. didn't even have the information? How can charges be dismissed before they are filed?

There are a ton of other factors at play here, and unless the OP has personal knowledge of what happened in a back room in Plano between a D.A. and an attorney (which would be privileged information subject to numerous financial and legal protections), the OP is just speculation, and guessing.

So if the point of this thread is that "football players get lucky breaks", I cant argue with that. But, I think most of us learned that in High School...

Thanks much for the clarity here and laughs. I think I found "ski's" relative... 3:47 mark

Here's an interesting site for coverage in all sports.
Holy crap! It's the wild west out there....
http://arrestnation.com/teamsschools/

We dodged an early bullet in their coverage because they didn't start compiling until August 2010.
Article from June 2014:

http://www.elkharttruth.com/sports/...rly-clean-among-college-football-arrests.html

Adding our 8 arrests in June changes the picture for that snapshot...

PS south bend's finest got me for underage drinking at Goose's... $25 fine... such bs that they are still at....
ND students = SB cash cow.....

I'm sure the Fulmer Cup covered those eight arrests. So far, a quiet off-season for the Irish, hope it stays that way! :)

https://www.google.com/#q=fulmer+cup

I'm sure the Fulmer Cup covered those eight arrests. So far, a quiet off-season for the Irish, hope it stays that way! :)

https://www.google.com/#q=fulmer+cup

I think all the underage drinking stuff shouldn't count unless it led to other crime... Kids having beers at a college party shouldn't be grounds for arrest... It's like shooting fish in a barrel for the SBPD...

I think all the underage drinking stuff shouldn't count unless it led to other crime... Kids having beers at a college party shouldn't be grounds for arrest... It's like shooting fish in a barrel for the SBPD...

It's just not the SBPD, it's every college town. I'm for breaking up the party, dumping the keg and sending/getting them safely home. (unless there's other issues)

It's just not the SBPD, it's every college town. I'm for breaking up the party, dumping the keg and sending/getting them safely home. (unless there's other issues)
Cops are brutal in Athens, GA. Even a nerd has a hard time getting through four years without getting arrested for something.

Do you read what you write?
"Even his schoolmates are incredulous and are saying that is just wrong. He should have been screwed"
This portion of the post may make sense. It was prom night after all...

SBPD was fair enough when I was a student, but Excise has become much more motivated in recent years. Now Pat Bauer - he of Bridgette Macguires fame - is getting all altruistic with the special police powers.

Cops are brutal in Athens, GA. Even a nerd has a hard time getting through four years without getting arrested for something.

Actually, I think the problem is Excise, they usually hit the town twice a year, once the VU kids come back for fall semester and back again when spring semester is winding down.

ADVERTISEMENT