ADVERTISEMENT

sec football power LSU to file bankruptcy

coolirish9

Posts Like A Champion
Jun 7, 2011
there is a big story really being talked about on another sports board about LSU having to file bankruptcy. first of all how does a big university that brings in really big bucks from the football program have such a huge debt that things come to this. it was being said that some academic classes would be closed and that professers would also be cut

The money made by LSU football is not in the Billions... and Jindal is pretty meh to terrible as a governor.

there is a big story really being talked about on another sports board about LSU having to file bankruptcy. first of all how does a big university that brings in really big bucks from the football program have such a huge debt that things come to this. it was being said that some academic classes would be closed and that professers would also be cut
Doesn't make sense to me. For LSU to declare bankruptcy, wouldn't rhe State of Louisiana have to declare bankruptcy?

Academic bankruptcy? That's a new one on me. Perhaps it's akin to moral bankruptcy.

One of the problems is that LA has way too many state sponsored colleges for a population of 4 million. They need to close some of the smaller schools.

can they pass the hat around during games?

recruits may be asked to take a pay cut?

Instead donate to the education system.

Doesn't make sense to me. For LSU to declare bankruptcy, wouldn't rhe State of Louisiana have to declare bankruptcy?

The higher education system is a subset of the state. The state can be viable and not have money to fund the schools.

Many of the large state school's athletic departments are operated by athletic foundations whose finances are separate and distinct from the general university finances. I think that's more common than not. Our way of running the athletic department as just another department of the university, not unlike the Chemistry Department or the Facilities Department, is not the norm.

The higher education system is a subset of the state. The state can be viable and not have money to fund the schools.

Yeah, the State can be in a position where it cannot provide as much funding to the school as is necessary. But for the university to declare bankruptcy, I wonder if that requires that the state also declare bankruptcy. Just musing aloud.

ADVERTISEMENT