ADVERTISEMENT

Same defense beats us as recent years

Telx1

I've posted how many times?
May 13, 2012
Hated watching this damn game. I fully expected Louisville to puts some points on the board, but I didn’t expect them to beat us by stacking the box, totally committing to stopping the run, and daring us to beat them with the pass and specifically the long ball. They picked up some pointers from the Duke game with all the damn stunts, but the main issue was our inability to beat them with the long ball. Hartman owns some of this as he wasn’t his usual pin point accurate, but I think this is primarily a receiver issue; the same as we saw against Ohio St and Duke. We don’t get separation against good defensive backs, and it’s killing us. Our receivers lack elite speed and toughness. Hartman’s first interception would have been a reception for a nice gain with his receivers last year at WF. Instead, our freshman Flores was timid, didn’t adjust, and they get the INT. On the play where Tyree was open, he was positioned for an inside throw and it was slightly to the outside, and he made an awkward late adjustment; and we missed another great opportunity.

It’s too easy to lay all the blame for sacks on the receivers, as this was the worst I have seen from a ND OL. It wasn’t just blitzing and stunts, our OL got their collective asses beat all night long. I was shocked to see Alt get bull rushed onto his ass, fall down another time trying to block a quicker rusher, etc…. Our two guards looked terrible picking up stunts, and Rocco in particular. I continue to think that Fischer is the greatest disappointment; and I continue to believe that he should Have been playing left guard next to Alt from the get go.

We Have some really talented possession receivers and a great tight end, but teams increasingly don’t fear our ability to pass over their heads, the same as in prior years. Hartman doesn’t have a canon for an arm, but plenty of strength and technique to make teams pay, but we need to get some speed on the field and challenge these defenses. James may not know the whole playbook, but he sure as hell knows enough to be a burnet on select plays…the same with Faison and Merriweather and Tyree. Hope we see Parker and Stuckey getting their heads together to make this happen. Otherwise, many more long nights ahead of us this year.

This is the same offense as 2022. With a better QB. Somewhere Drew Pyne is chuckling.

Hated watching this damn game. I fully expected Louisville to puts some points on the board, but I didn’t expect them to beat us by stacking the box, totally committing to stopping the run, and daring us to beat them with the pass and specifically the long ball. They picked up some pointers from the Duke game with all the damn stunts, but the main issue was our inability to beat them with the long ball. Hartman owns some of this as he wasn’t his usual pin point accurate, but I think this is primarily a receiver issue; the same as we saw against Ohio St and Duke. We don’t get separation against good defensive backs, and it’s killing us. Our receivers lack elite speed and toughness. Hartman’s first interception would have been a reception for a nice gain with his receivers last year at WF. Instead, our freshman Flores was timid, didn’t adjust, and they get the INT. On the play where Tyree was open, he was positioned for an inside throw and it was slightly to the outside, and he made an awkward late adjustment; and we missed another great opportunity.

It’s too easy to lay all the blame for sacks on the receivers, as this was the worst I have seen from a ND OL. It wasn’t just blitzing and stunts, our OL got their collective asses beat all night long. I was shocked to see Alt get bull rushed onto his ass, fall down another time trying to block a quicker rusher, etc…. Our two guards looked terrible picking up stunts, and Rocco in particular. I continue to think that Fischer is the greatest disappointment; and I continue to believe that he should Have been playing left guard next to Alt from the get go.

We Have some really talented possession receivers and a great tight end, but teams increasingly don’t fear our ability to pass over their heads, the same as in prior years. Hartman doesn’t have a canon for an arm, but plenty of strength and technique to make teams pay, but we need to get some speed on the field and challenge these defenses. James may not know the whole playbook, but he sure as hell knows enough to be a burnet on select plays…the same with Faison and Merriweather and Tyree. Hope we see Parker and Stuckey getting their heads together to make this happen. Otherwise, many more long nights ahead of us this year.
TelX
Dejavu Miami 2017

Reactions: deadirishpoet
This is a worse offense then 2022. The problem isn't position groups, it's the coordinator, and offense being run this year. Last year, and under Rees, we were hard for defenses to get a read on, even with inferior QB play because he was excellent in creating unconventional looks, and formations but going to the same play in a different formation-- thus keeping defenses confused and having to adjust in-game; it kept opponents tentative and allowed us to attack. Rees had issues developing and recruiting QB, but he was a master at giving teams eye candy with formations and motion, and then could run similar plays out of all types of variant looks. It prevented teams from locking in on what we're doing, and allowed even significantly limited QB's like Pyne, and Buchner have success. Parker's far to straight-forward, and not nearly the same number of variant formations and looks. Teams are keying in quickly into what we're doing, and we don't seem to be able to adjust quickly and move into new looks and formations to find success.

I also believe Parker is not good with setting up opponents with certain looks or calls, like going back and giving them a look at they had success against us but change the plan within that look to attack wherever the defense vacated. It is even more concerning with him moving around the OL because that speaks to a staff without answers who are trying to find the balance in personnel. Some want to blame 'Stuckey' and claim our receivers can't get separation.... that's not it at all because if a defense knows what you're doing then an offensive player, or receiver would need to be extremely elite to gain separation or find a seam. This is more about poor scheming and system, and a coordinator that struggles adjusting and confusing the opposition. If a Stuckey and crew have a weakness it is they're not strong enough as play callers, and system creators to help Parker develop and grow this offense. We almost seem to line up and expect we are just going to whip a team physically and that will get us the desired effect, but when you play equally athletic teams with good coaching, as OSU, Duke, and Louisville are those teams, you can expect if your staff can't confuse and overload an opposition with various looks, and formations...teams can just pin their ears back, and make things happen.

I don't see this getting better under Parker, it is more concerning seeing moments of confusion on the field with the offense over the past several weeks. My guess it will be much of the same next week too, and we'll make the #109th defense in SC look like world beaters- hard to get excited about beating up a horrid Navy defense, abysmal CMU defense, and an FCS defense. NCST, and Louisville before last week were top 40 defenses, not world beaters by any stretch, but again when teams can pin their ears back and you're not confusing them and making them read things it's easy for a team to match-up.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why they try to be fancy in that situation.
Hi DIP. Personally, I liked this call. They were kicking our collective asses on short runs up the middle, and I think this play would have gone for big yardage Without the missed handoff. There were several other running plays that were one missed block from being big gains, and we would have been singing Parker’s praises if these and the dropped passes had been properly executed. Very frustrating game to watch.
I do fault Parker for not making adjustments to accept the reality of our poor OL play and the inability of our receivers to gain separation. Some quick slants, some screen plays, some short RPO, etc….
God, I hope our team and coaches are mad and embarrassed, and comes out with a lot of fire in their collective bellys this Saturday.

As much as I hate to say it Chip Long would probably have ND at least 6-1 right now.

Glad to see you can count. Navy, TS, NCST, CMU,
Ohio, Duke, Louisville.

Hi DIP. Personally, I liked this call. They were kicking our collective asses on short runs up the middle, and I think this play would have gone for big yardage Without the missed handoff. There were several other running plays that were one missed block from being big gains, and we would have been singing Parker’s praises if these and the dropped passes had been properly executed. Very frustrating game to watch.
I do fault Parker for not making adjustments to accept the reality of our poor OL play and the inability of our receivers to gain separation. Some quick slants, some screen plays, some short RPO, etc….
God, I hope our team and coaches are mad and embarrassed, and comes out with a lot of fire in their collective bellys this Saturday.
Hello brother
I know it seems out dated but I still see it being used why not havea fb/hb in that situation to help open it up a bit.....the Irish only needed 1 years
Though is was the OCs fault as you've pointed out this is what learning on the job looks like I guess

Last edited:
Reactions: Telx1
Hello brother
I know it seems out dated but I still see it being used why not havea fb/hb in that situation to help open it up a bit.....the Irish only needed 1 years
Though is was the OCs fault as you've pointed out this is what learning on the job looks like I guess
They were clogging the middle so much, and we got zero push from our OL, and not sure a FB or HB would have had anyone To block other than the backside of our linemen. Personally would have just conceded we were running and put Price back there in shotgun with ten blockers and run to our left side. But hell, I’m just an old fart who loves all things ND and share the same frustration behind most of the posts here. I can’t stand USC, and will be screaming at the TV Saturday night, and hope like he’ll we kick some ass! Go Irish.

They were clogging the middle so much, and we got zero push from our OL, and not sure a FB or HB would have had anyone To block other than the backside of our linemen. Personally would have just conceded we were running and put Price back there in shotgun with ten blockers and run to our left side. But hell, I’m just an old fart who loves all things ND and share the same frustration behind most of the posts here. I can’t stand USC, and will be screaming at the TV Saturday night, and hope like he’ll we kick some ass! Go Irish.
I agree about stacking the middle but they could of took it outside.......OR SOMETHING GEEEEZ

Reactions: Tru2Irish
TelX1,

When you can’t run the ball ….. when you NEED to run the ball, things tend to become one dimensional as you head down hill quickly

This is a worse offense then 2022. The problem isn't position groups, it's the coordinator, and offense being run this year. Last year, and under Rees, we were hard for defenses to get a read on, even with inferior QB play because he was excellent in creating unconventional looks, and formations but going to the same play in a different formation-- thus keeping defenses confused and having to adjust in-game; it kept opponents tentative and allowed us to attack. Rees had issues developing and recruiting QB, but he was a master at giving teams eye candy with formations and motion, and then could run similar plays out of all types of variant looks. It prevented teams from locking in on what we're doing, and allowed even significantly limited QB's like Pyne, and Buchner have success. Parker's far to straight-forward, and not nearly the same number of variant formations and looks. Teams are keying in quickly into what we're doing, and we don't seem to be able to adjust quickly and move into new looks and formations to find success.

I also believe Parker is not good with setting up opponents with certain looks or calls, like going back and giving them a look at they had success against us but change the plan within that look to attack wherever the defense vacated. It is even more concerning with him moving around the OL because that speaks to a staff without answers who are trying to find the balance in personnel. Some want to blame 'Stuckey' and claim our receivers can't get separation.... that's not it at all because if a defense knows what you're doing then an offensive player, or receiver would need to be extremely elite to gain separation or find a seam. This is more about poor scheming and system, and a coordinator that struggles adjusting and confusing the opposition. If a Stuckey and crew have a weakness it is they're not strong enough as play callers, and system creators to help Parker develop and grow this offense. We almost seem to line up and expect we are just going to whip a team physically and that will get us the desired effect, but when you play equally athletic teams with good coaching, as OSU, Duke, and Louisville are those teams, you can expect if your staff can't confuse and overload an opposition with various looks, and formations...teams can just pin their ears back, and make things happen.

I don't see this getting better under Parker, it is more concerning seeing moments of confusion on the field with the offense over the past several weeks. My guess it will be much of the same next week too, and we'll make the #109th defense in SC look like world beaters- hard to get excited about beating up a horrid Navy defense, abysmal CMU defense, and an FCS defense. NCST, and Louisville before last week were top 40 defenses, not world beaters by any stretch, but again when teams can pin their ears back and you're not confusing them and making them read things it's easy for a team to match-up.
You are preaching to the choir my friend. How many times did USC stack the box with 8 or 9 players, but Parker insists on running the ball up the middle just to get nothing. Other teams counter by taking advantage on one on one coverage, but ND accepts the loss of yardage. I see on Saturdays and Sunday the QB bootleg usually ends up with a tight end wide open, but ND refuses to get creative. How about the little Utah play inside pass on occasions. ND is just to predictable in their play calling. Every time Tyree touches the ball good things happen. I swear if ND tries to run the ball against a stacked Pitt defense then I am going to shoot my TV. This strategy only works when a team is trying to run out the clock just like the OSU game. Oh wait, that did not happen. Way to predictable

You are preaching to the choir my friend. How many times did USC stack the box with 8 or 9 players, but Parker insists on running the ball up the middle just to get nothing. Other teams counter by taking advantage on one on one coverage, but ND accepts the loss of yardage. I see on Saturdays and Sunday the QB bootleg usually ends up with a tight end wide open, but ND refuses to get creative. How about the little Utah play inside pass on occasions. ND is just to predictable in their play calling. Every time Tyree touches the ball good things happen. I swear if ND tries to run the ball against a stacked Pitt defense then I am going to shoot my TV. This strategy only works when a team is trying to run out the clock just like the OSU game. Oh wait, that did not happen. Way to predictable
Pat Narduzzi will be a very good test for the Notre Dame offense.

The theory is it works like boady blows, but you need more than one big back and a passing threat for that to work

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT