ADVERTISEMENT

Retiring jersey numbers

MTIrish98

Posts Like A Champion
Mar 28, 2011
Montana
Interesting article on the front page about what numbers might be up for discussion if ND retired them. IMHO, it would take a Jackie Robinson type of hero to justify it at ND. I like the fact that the history of one individual is never bigger than the team.

I would guess most of you would feel the same way, but suppose you HAD to vote for one individual's number to retire. Who would it be and why?

Interesting article on the front page about what numbers might be up for discussion if ND retired them. IMHO, it would take a Jackie Robinson type of hero to justify it at ND. I like the fact that the history of one individual is never bigger than the team.

I would guess most of you would feel the same way, but suppose you HAD to vote for one individual's number to retire. Who would it be and why?

Ted Burgmeier #18. He was the steadiest, smartest and a most lethal assassin among giants. He could beat you in so many ways. Watch the '77 southern cal game.
Huge heart and the glue of that team....
It was a joy to see him play.
Great guy and he was everything that Notre Dame stands for.....
RIP Ted ND forever....
http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/RIP-Notre-Dame-Hero-Ted-Burgmeier-138116

Good one CGVR.

I was thinking outside the box too. One of my all-time favorites is Rocky Bleier -- probably for what he did after he left ND.

Good one CGVR.

I was thinking outside the box too. One of my all-time favorites is Rocky Bleier -- probably for what he did after he left ND.

Bleier is as good a selection out there... what a guy....
Those are heart and soul guys.

Joe Restic would be another one. His picture should be under the definition of All American. He did everything too. He hit everything that moved and probably had one of if not the top hit in that 77 southern cal game...flying clothesline full speed...vicious...

#5 - Between Hornung and T'eo, this number has won virtually every college football award.

bertelli%20photo.jpg

gath_11_83_02f.jpg

paul-hornung.jpg

Not sure about the retire argument but you should not allow any team to assign 1 number to multi players.

ADVERTISEMENT