ADVERTISEMENT

reports coming out..... Golson to transfer

Will give you the first solid link I get. It is hitting the wires now

I've been waiting for this. Now we'll wait for Malik to get hurt or be ineligible, and the typical Notre Dame preseason will be unfolding before our very eyes.

Well all of us that wanted Malik will get our wish.

Hopefully what we wish for isn't our downfall

Good luck to him and it's time to hand the keys to Zaire. Golson's decision making on and off the field was erratic and inconsistent, but I hope he finds a good spot and has success.

I HATE 2 QB systems and look forward to seeing a dynamic dual threat QB lead the ND offense. Zaire's presence will exponentially improve Red Zone, 4 Minute and Short Yardage offense.

Class statement. Wish him the best, as long as he isn't playing against our Irish. Kelly has some high potential talent in addition to Malik waiting in the wings, and this should be viewed as a great opportunity for them.

Kizer isn't ready. And wimbush is still in high school.

Kizer needs every snap he can get now.

Big question. Does Kelly keep another player for a 5th year or go digging for another transfer for the open slot?

Reactions: TurnoverMachine

Big question. Does Kelly keep another player for a 5th year or go digging for another transfer for the open slot?
I was thinking we were actually over 85 and needed a player or two to transfer? Is that not the case?

Well, we are officially screwed. If anyone thinks Malik can get through this schedule playing like he did against LSU - they're crazy. He was taking a beating running the ball in that game. Also Kelly will not play call to his strength (running the ball) knowing he has no experienced back up.
Every friggen year.

ND is still 2 guys over the 85 by estimates I have read. No room at the inn.

Well, we are officially screwed. If anyone thinks Malik can get through this schedule playing like he did against LSU - they're crazy. He was taking a beating running the ball in that game. Also Kelly will not play call to his strength (running the ball) knowing he has no experienced back up.
Every friggen year.

Please put our big girl panties on. Zaire physically has a much better chance of surviving the year than Golson.
The sky isn't falling. It just got a little overcast.

A spring wasted -- that is my big complaint! I'm a Golson fan (I think he took too much heat last year and was asked to do too much once the defense fell apart) but damn... I'm angry at him right now.

I don't know who to blame -- Kelly for not naming him the starter (no way Malik would transfer with 3 years left) or Golson for wasting our time this spring.

My expectations are lowered now. I was thinking one loss, final four. I don't see a first year QB getting us there -- especially since I'm not yet convinced about BVG's defense... And we are an injury away from trouble.

Once again, I'm putting my hopes on a one-year hold.

How did Golson waste ND's time this spring? He competed for the job and didn't win it outright, this was always the likely risk if he didn't win the job.

I'll admit I wanted MZ to win the QB job, but still disappointed in Golson. Looks like competition scared him away. Would have been a great backup to have and I was even curious to see if Kelly would use a 2 QB system. Best of luck to EG, as long as we don't face him next year.

How did Golson waste ND's time this spring? He competed for the job and didn't win it outright, this was always the likely risk if he didn't win the job.

I think he decided to go bye-bye when Malik got the nod vs. LSU.

This from ESPN (Texas interesting!)

A 6-foot senior, Golson is undecided where he will transfer, a source said. Schools that might be interested in Golson include Alabama, Florida, Florida State, LSU and Texas.

I really hope he tries to get a 5th year QB to come in and compete. At least a better back up....Kizer looks pretty bad in the Spring Game.

Ironically, for EG to finalize the transfer he will have to, ahem, turn over his paperwork. I love how we rave about recruits until the time comes to use them. Then we scream about lack of depth.

Thank Everett for 2012, lament the flaws of 2014, and rally behind Malik

Very disappointed. I'm a big fan of Everett, I cannot blame him if he foresaw a two-qb system. He has an ND degree and can go be the man at a place like Texas without fear of being yanked for TR or MZ anymore. Maybe this will force BK to run the ball and play more smash mouth football. You got to love MZ's attitude though, he was leaps and bounds above where EG was in this area.

No surprise and suspect this was parting was in the best interest of EG and ND. I wish him the best.

Please put our big girl panties on. Zaire physically has a much better chance of surviving the year than Golson.
The sky isn't falling. It just got a little overcast.
I just for once wanted to see the full offense. Things were setting up perfectly and now they'll be forced to play to protect Zaire. Going to have 3 QB's with a total 1 game starting.

A 6-foot senior, Golson is undecided where he will transfer, a source said. Schools that might be interested in Golson include Alabama, Florida, Florida State, LSU and Texas.

I think Texas and LSU would start him no questions asked and no competition in fall. Charlie Strong could sell him on the Teddy Bridgewater success from the Louisville. That would be one hell of a storyline for game one of the season!

So, you go to war with what you have. I belong to another site, and if you read the tea leaves, it appears that Zaire may command more respect from the team than Golson.
I love the talent and athletic ability that Golson brings, but if Zaire can rally the troops, I am all in.

This may be a case of the "us against the world" mentality. Would have loved to have Golson on the roster. But at the end of the day, ND may be better off.

EG realized he was not the best QB on the team and chose to move on. Good luck to him except against ND. MZ will lead the Irish better without having to look over his shoulder after every mistake.

Last edited:
EG appeared to never recover after the Syracuse game. He was efficient and played clean leading up to Cuse, and was a leading Heisman contender but during the Cuse game and most games after Cuse, he turned the ball over a ton and looked rattled and skittish in the pocket.

I guess he took snaps away from the other QB's who will be around next fall. MZ and DK could use all the snaps they can get, even in the spring.

Love to see where Golson ends up at. I will still follow him next season. Good luck to him!

Oklahoma

Kelly couldn't coach a quarterback if his life depended on it.

Many people fell in love with Golson the first time they saw him complete a little swing past against Navy in his first start, but I never really understood the love for him. As a sophomore he got bailed out of at least three jams by Tommy Rees. As a junior, when he should have been expected to lead the team, he cheated and lost the year. As a senior, after a hot start he imploded. And people talk about him leading the game winning drive against LSU, but I remember two awful throws that could very well have been picked off for TDs.

So, yeah, we are thin again at a key position, thanks in part to Kelly's inability to manage the quarterbacks on the roster and thanks in part to a me-first player.

Kelly and QBs:
Clausen Leaves as a JR. -- okay, he probably would have left anyway
Crist goes down (twice)
Rees takes over but is not Kelly's recruit and is more like a placeholder
Golson gets kicked out (Kelly's first recruited QB)
Golson transfers

(We need some damn continuity at that position!)

Be the man MALIK!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT