ADVERTISEMENT

Refs & Conference

HarlemIrish

I've posted how many times?
Oct 22, 2007
I think ND being an independent is causing them calls. Three blaring calls tonight. The booth overturned that punt. That ball should have been on the 1 yard line. Rece "Mr Colorado" Davis says Duke got away with ineligible man downfield during that go ahead drive for Duke. Kirk Herbstreit says # 65 got away with a hold that gave Duke a crucial first down. The Irish were very fortunate to get the W but this is brutal with the zebras.

Ding, Ding, Ding! There’s no other way to see it. Conference officials aren’t going to hamstring an undefeated team from their conference if at all possible.

Reactions: 4-4-3
Notre Dame probably should have joined a conference 20 years ago. I try never to complain about the officiating but I had to stop watching the game. The beginning of the 4th quarter was brutal for ND.

Notre Dame probably should have joined a conference 20 years ago. I try never to complain about the officiating but I had to stop watching the game. The beginning of the 4th quarter was brutal for ND.
ABSOLUTELY NOT !

AND MY GUESS IS THAT YOU DIDN'T ATTEND ND !

Reactions: cgaynor
Herbie & Rece are not big ND fans. Rece 100% dislikes the Irish. Is it for schtick, I don't know. Both of them on national tv called out the refs. That kick is brutal. The ball by the ACC Rules should have been on the 1 yard line. WTF happened?

I may be a conspiracy theorist but pregame ESPN cut to Elmo shaking the refs hand and I immediately got an uneasy feeling.

ND should have refs from outside the oppositions conference. Is that an unreasonable ask?

I may be a conspiracy theorist but pregame ESPN cut to Elmo shaking the refs hand and I immediately got an uneasy feeling.

ND should have refs from outside the oppositions conference. Is that an unreasonable ask?
Years ago an independent crew officiated home games.

ND needs to reinstitute that policy

Reactions: cgaynor
You’re an idiot. I graduated from ND, unlike yourself.
They must have lowered the standards …. Or maybe you were one of the coed’s admitted after 1971.

The majority of ND grads don‘t want ND to join a conference.

I graduated when you still thought that the hunchback rang the bells and played fullback !

They must have lowered the standards …. Or maybe you were one of the coed’s admitted after 1971.

I graduated when you still thought that the hunchback rang the bells and played fullback !
I feel sorry for you. You need a friend and/or a medical prescription.

ND admission standards were higher when I graduated vs 1971.

Many alumni didn’t want a scoreboard and turf, but the CFB landscape has changed. Is it coincidence that most national champions come from the SEC conference?

• Haha
Reactions: sluggo69

You sir are a troll !!! Always cutting other ND alumni and fans down like you are an expert. I don't see you working for Singer,Loy or Frank. You always have bold letters. Does that make you feel big or smarter? ND won and they are getting raked by refs every top game. Whether or not they should join a conference, these guys are right. Conference officials are going to conspire to make it hard for ND to win as it embarrasses them by getting beat by an independent and ND has a huge lead in ACC wins and I'm sure refs are trying to change that. But you keep spewing your vitriol at ND fans if that builds your self-esteem.

Reactions: McCallen ND NYC
I feel sorry for you. You need a friend and/or a medical prescription.

ND admission standards were higher when I graduated vs 1971.

Many alumni didn’t want a scoreboard and turf, but the CFB landscape has changed. Is it coincidence that most national champions come from the SEC conference?

No need to feel sorry for me, I have an abundance of friends and am of sound mind absent medication.

Admission standards might have been higher when you graduated but they were certainly a lot lower seven years prior when you were admitted ! 👍

Many? Could you quantify that ?
I was one of the alumni in favor of large scoreboards, so much so that I offered to donate for their installation.

ND should never join a conference unless forced to do so.

Last edited:
You sir are a troll !!! Always cutting other ND alumni and fans down like you are an expert. I don't see you working for Singer,Loy or Frank. You always have bold letters. Does that make you feel big or smarter? ND won and they are getting raked by refs every top game. Whether or not they should join a conference, these guys are right. Conference officials are going to conspire to make it hard for ND to win as it embarrasses them by getting beat by an independent and ND has a huge lead in ACC wins and I'm sure refs are trying to change that. But you keep spewing your vitriol at ND fans if that builds your self-esteem.
Sorry, I don’t tolerate fools well.

i thought that ND was a member of the ACC in all other sports.

If ND was a member of the ACC do you think that the PAC 12, SEC and Big 10 refs would treat ND better ?

If ND‘s football team was a member of the ACC are you naive enough to think that the ACC refs would suddenly turn neutral and embrace and be unbiased toward ND.

I never claimed to be an expert in any area, just reasonably intelligent with some common sense thrown in. And, I tend to be objective, pragmatic and prudent.

Would you cite the vitriol I spewed.

Do you think that opinions, especially foolish or unsubstantiated opinions should go unchallenged ?

Should there be no Accountability ?

if you can’t take the heat stay out of the kitchen !

I think ND being an independent is causing them calls. Three blaring calls tonight. The booth overturned that punt. That ball should have been on the 1 yard line. Rece "Mr Colorado" Davis says Duke got away with ineligible man downfield during that go ahead drive for Duke. Kirk Herbstreit says # 65 got away with a hold that gave Duke a crucial first down. The Irish were very fortunate to get the W but this is brutal with the zebras.
Independence has ALWAYS hurt ND with refs. Certainly against teams from conferences. And who besides ND and three or four other teams is still independent?

Of course, there were some obvious penalties against ND tonight, but the examples you cite were, to put it mildly, QUESTIONABLE, and I, too, noted them . . .

. . . and for what I thought they were WORTH, i.e. GOLD FOR DUKE.

So, I watched the game with two other ND fans and a Buckeye fan, unanimously thought the officiating was terrible.

In fact we discussed how it seems the officiating has been particularly bad in ND games this year. The past two weeks have had 6-8 crucially timed blown calls.

I’ve never seen a targeting called for hitting someone in the hip/thigh, ever and I watch a lot of CFB. None of us had/have, it was ridiculous.

The overturning of the punt was horrible, the play was not even reviewable.

The picking up of the PI call, he (Duke CB) literally prevented our WR from coming back to the ball, ruled uncatchable. No $hit, because the DB was pushing him downfield.

Herbie & Reece called out two blatant tackles (holds) in the second half. One on Howard Cross and the other on Rylie Mills on a 3rd and 6 conversion and 3rd and 4 conversion. The plays occurred right in front of the Umpire.

The Field Judge or Side Judge (not sure which one) failed to call Duke CB #7 knock Tyree down 15 yards downfield on a play Hartman rolled out and had to throw it away. Again, occurred 5 yards from him and he stared right at the contact.

I don’t think the ACC/B1G/PAC12 have meetings plotting against ND. I think it’s just ingrained in conference officials minds, they work for a conference, they want their teams to be successful, they have relationships with those coaches and unfortunately the bias is noticeable within games.

ND should have either independent officiating crews, or crew from a conference outside the opponent teams conference.

ND also got away with a potential hold on the fake punt -- I'd like to know who made the call to review it?

The punt review should not have happened. As far a Davis and Herbie commenting on officiating -- they are useless

"The Field Judge or Side Judge (not sure which one) failed to call Duke CB #7 knock Tyree down 15 yards downfield on a play Hartman rolled out and had to throw it away. Again, occurred 5 yards from him and he stared right at the contact."

This is not the NFL -- the NCAA does not have a "no contact after 5 yards rule". As long as the ball was not in the air, and the knock down was not "personal foul" worthy (or a hold/take down) -- play on.

Independence has ALWAYS hurt ND with refs. Certainly against teams from conferences. And who besides ND and three or four other teams is still independent?

Of course, there were some obvious penalties against ND tonight, but the examples you cite were, to put it mildly, QUESTIONABLE, and I, too, noted them . . .

. . . and for what I thought they were WORTH, i.e. GOLD FOR DUKE.

I respectfully disagree. If you were in a conference, ND fans would STILL bitch about the refs.

Because bitching about the refs is what ALL fan bases do.

ND also got away with a potential hold on the fake punt -- I'd like to know who made the call to review it?

The punt review should not have happened. As far a Davis and Herbie commenting on officiating -- they are useless

"The Field Judge or Side Judge (not sure which one) failed to call Duke CB #7 knock Tyree down 15 yards downfield on a play Hartman rolled out and had to throw it away. Again, occurred 5 yards from him and he stared right at the contact."

This is not the NFL -- the NCAA does not have a "no contact after 5 yards rule". As long as the ball was not in the air, and the knock down was not "personal foul" worthy (or a hold/take down) -- play on.
That’s weird because I just read that since CFB does not have an “illegal contact” rule as the NFL does, they can call a penalty for holding if a wr is knocked to the ground by a defender while in his route.

Reactions: Kelso86
It seems the ND comes out on the losing side of reviews as well, overall...whether its a play, like the punt, or a penalty like the retarded targeting call. That is even more concerning.

It seems the ND comes out on the losing side of reviews as well, overall...whether its a play, like the punt, or a penalty like the retarded targeting call. That is even more concerning.
110 D1 teams all complain of the same thing

I respectfully disagree. If you were in a conference, ND fans would STILL bitch about the refs.

Because bitching about the refs is what ALL fan bases do.
They would.

But I believe from having watched ND football for close to 70 years that THEY WOULD HAVE LESS TO BITCH ABOUT.

As a cultural outlier that has also at times been DOMINANT, ND has always attracted its share of NEGATIVE BIAS.

In the 50's and 60's, BIG TEN REFS punished ND repeatedly.

They would.

But I believe from having watched ND football for close to 70 years that THEY WOULD HAVE LESS TO BITCH ABOUT.

As a cultural outlier that has also at times been DOMINANT, ND has always attracted its share of NEGATIVE BIAS.

In the 50's and 60's, BIG TEN REFS punished ND repeatedly.
👍

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT